PDA

View Full Version : I can’t believe I’m asking this - Lonnie Walker to the G-League?

Dennis the Menace
10-28-2019, 11:23 PM
The underlying premise is if Pop is going to continue riding Lonnie on the bench with no significant live game reps, how is he going to get better? Should he be on the two way for both squads so that he can continue to develop?

Everyone here and and on Twitter with the brain of a squirrel thinks he should at the minimum be eating into Marco’s and Patty’s minutes. As it stands, it seems like his only significant minutes will come from when Demar has rest games or when Dejounte rests on back to backs to maintain his health. So should he be logging time on the G-League also to ensure he’s getting the repition for his growth? It’s a vaild question.

Lonnie is beloved by Spurs fans and will be a cornerstone for the organization alongside Murray and White. He’s the lowest draft pick since Kawhi. He has all the raw materials, they just need to be refined. That only happens by playing time and training reps. We all want to see him grow and develop, and it’s important he takes full advantage of that within his infancy in the NBA during his first 4 years.

So should he go down to the G-League to ensure growth and expedite his development? Obviously this could all change if Pop stops taking crazy pills.

raybies
10-28-2019, 11:25 PM
he's gonna have minutes after the Clippers game when DJ sits. He'll have plenty of shots this year. If he's ready Pop will make room for him. He hasn't looked ready yet.

Spurtacular
10-28-2019, 11:29 PM
He hasn't looked ready yet.

I must've blinked and missed whatever you saw.

Dhbsr555
10-28-2019, 11:29 PM
I agree with you however it’s gonna get to a point where Lonnie gonna get fed up of being benched after the Spurs organization promising him rotation minutes and he is having to ride the pine all season.. he is a hell of a player with crazy potential.. but if The Spurs arnt careful.. he will want to go and play where he is wanted.

ChumpDumper
10-28-2019, 11:32 PM
I already said he would. Probably a short stay though.

Degoat
10-28-2019, 11:32 PM
I'm sure we move on from Marco similar to how we moved on from Pau gasol last year, by then hopefully Lonnie will be ready

Spurtacular
10-28-2019, 11:35 PM

Why weren't they paying attention to your proclamation, neutered Chump?

Don't answer if you're too neutered.

vander
10-28-2019, 11:43 PM
he's gonna have minutes after the Clippers game when DJ sits. He'll have plenty of shots this year. If he's ready Pop will make room for him. He hasn't looked ready yet.

He should get minutes against the Clippers too since the game will be over after 2.5 quarters

raybies
10-28-2019, 11:45 PM
He should get minutes against the Clippers too since the game will be over after 2.5 quarters
i dunno.. i don't think Kawhi is gonna be playing cause they play utah the night before... we'll see

Play Boban
10-28-2019, 11:52 PM
He sucks

keepinitwill
10-29-2019, 01:12 AM
The underlying premise is if Pop is going to continue riding Lonnie on the bench with no significant live game reps, how is he going to get better? Should he be on the two way for both squads so that he can continue to develop?

Everyone here and and on Twitter with the brain of a squirrel thinks he should at the minimum be eating into Marco’s and Patty’s minutes. As it stands, it seems like his only significant minutes will come from when Demar has rest games or when Dejounte rests on back to backs to maintain his health. So should he be logging time on the G-League also to ensure he’s getting the repition for his growth? It’s a vaild question.

Lonnie is beloved by Spurs fans and will be a cornerstone for the organization alongside Murray and White. He’s the lowest draft pick since Kawhi. He has all the raw materials, they just need to be refined. That only happens by playing time and training reps. We all want to see him grow and develop, and it’s important he takes full advantage of that within his infancy in the NBA during his first 4 years.

So should he go down to the G-League to ensure growth and expedite his development? Obviously this could all change if Pop stops taking crazy pills.

We are only 3 games into the season. Where is the fire?

james evans
10-29-2019, 08:02 AM
I agree with you however it’s gonna get to a point where Lonnie gonna get fed up of being benched after the Spurs organization promising him rotation minutes and he is having to ride the pine all season.. he is a hell of a player with crazy potential.. but if The Spurs arnt careful.. he will want to go and play where he is wanted.
No problem. We have a legacy contract waiting on Mills if he leaves.

monty4329
10-29-2019, 08:30 AM
It depends what is the goal. If it is winning now games, he is not going to see the floor much. If instead it is developing "young talent" he will play. It is a route many teams have taken recently (Bulls, Suns, Memphis et al.), it grants a potentially good pick

ZeusWillJudge
10-29-2019, 08:32 AM

So what would he have to do in the G-League to start getting some minutes in SA? Would it really matter if he put up big numbers against G-League opponents? I'd like to see him getting the minutes and experience, but there seems to be a pretty big logjam on this team right now. I know it's early, but he would have to displace someone.

Gervin44Silas13
10-29-2019, 08:36 AM
Pop needs to put him in the rotation....if we start shitting the bed ....he will throw him in garbage time when we are getting runned out of the court.....wasted talent on the bench IMO

Gervin44Silas13
10-29-2019, 08:41 AM
Yeah and if he goes to another team....hell have a career high against us...like all the other ex Spurs players....SMDH

RC_Drunkford
10-29-2019, 08:49 AM
there have to be 13 active players on game day. With Eubanks, Weatherspoon, Samanic and Johnson getting the G-League assignment it is pretty clear that Walker and Metu won't see any time there this season.

ChumpDumper
10-29-2019, 09:08 AM
there have to be 13 active players on game day. With Eubanks, Weatherspoon, Samanic and Johnson getting the G-League assignment it is pretty clear that Walker and Metu won't see any time there this season.Well, Eubanks did play 23 games with the mothership for example, so there's no telling exactly what the lineup is going to be at any given time. If it happens I really don't expect Lonnie's being assigned for more than one or two games, especially if he lives up to everyone's hype.

exstatic
10-29-2019, 09:08 AM
g-league doesn't start until November 9th.

poopbox
10-29-2019, 10:07 AM
I'm sure we move on from Marco similar to how we moved on from Pau gasol last year, by then hopefully Lonnie will be ready

We only moved on from Pau because he asked to be traded.

Is Marco going to ask to be traded? If not we are not going to move on from him this season

cd98
10-29-2019, 11:20 AM
He'll get his shot. Pop goes deep into the bench, especially on back to backs. I predict he will get 15+ minutes against GSW.

duncan2k5
10-29-2019, 11:34 AM
It depends what is the goal. If it is winning now games, he is not going to see the floor much. If instead it is developing "young talent" he will play. It is a route many teams have taken recently (Bulls, Suns, Memphis et al.), it grants a potentially good pick

The only teams that play their draft picks aren't bad teams...

Roscoe P. Coltrane
10-29-2019, 11:39 AM
He sucks

mookie2001
10-29-2019, 11:41 AM
I’d send him to the Austin Toros of the NBDL

exstatic
10-29-2019, 11:46 AM
I’d send him to the Austin Toros of the NBDL

You own a time machine?

monty4329
10-29-2019, 11:54 AM
The only teams that play their draft picks aren't bad teams...

I didn't say that. Those that play young guys to develop their talent over veterans players that are actually better equipped to win games in that particular moment, they are bad teams though.

In this moment, LW game is not winning us games. Pop either slowly slides him in with a few minutes here and there, without risking losing a winnable game, or won't play him at all. I am sure he will not get any meaningful minute soon, as Pop preferes trying to win games.

RC_Drunkford
10-29-2019, 12:52 PM
I am sure he will not get any meaningful minute soon, as Pop preferes trying to win games.

Why is he playing mad scientist line ups which give up 20 point leads on the regular then?

UZER
10-29-2019, 01:09 PM
I didn't say that. Those that play young guys to develop their talent over veterans players that are actually better equipped to win games in that particular moment, they are bad teams though.

In this moment, LW game is not winning us games. Pop either slowly slides him in with a few minutes here and there, without risking losing a winnable game, or won't play him at all. I am sure he will not get any meaningful minute soon, as Pop preferes trying to win games.

:lol

tmtcsc
10-29-2019, 01:13 PM
Why not? I think its a real possibility. Dude is still very young and lacks experience. More playing time in the G-League might even get his confidence up. The Spurs just eeked out victories against 2 bottom dwellers and a team coming off a back-2-back. They don't look good and Walker's not the answer.

UZER
10-29-2019, 01:14 PM
The more people ask for Lonnie, the further down the bench he goes, because I zag.

:pop:

drpill
10-29-2019, 01:36 PM
I'm confident that Lonnie is learning what he needs to learn in practice and in the film room. If Pop thinks he'll learn more in the G League then that's where he'll be. I don't know how many mid- to late-round studs the Spurs system needs to produce before we can all just sit back and trust the process. I'm excited to see Lonnie whenever he is deemed ready; he's going to be a beast with his athleticism and with the guidance provided by the Spurs coaches.

TDomination
10-29-2019, 01:47 PM
We only moved on from Pau because he asked to be traded.

Is Marco going to ask to be traded? If not we are not going to move on from him this season

He asked to be traded because he was not playing very much here by that point. If that happens again this year with Walker and Marco yeah maybe he asks to be traded. But it seems like Marco likes it here but we'll see.

dubross
10-29-2019, 01:49 PM
It sad to see Lonnie on the bench and then see other young players with potential playing on various teams around the league. The Hawks for example have all 3 of their rookies in the rotation. They have a nice young core where their coach is playing them all.

NASpurs
10-29-2019, 01:50 PM
The more people ask for Lonnie, the further down the bench he goes, because I zag.

:pop:

:lol

"because I zag while others are zigging"

cd021
10-29-2019, 02:09 PM
It sad to see Lonnie on the bench and then see other young players with potential playing on various teams around the league. The Hawks for example have all 3 of their rookies in the rotation. They have a nice young core where their coach is playing them all.

That's because their a rebuilding team. Spurs want to make the playoffs.

spurraider21
10-29-2019, 02:49 PM
might as well if the alternative is to have him fetch some gatorade for marco

exstatic
10-29-2019, 02:55 PM
That's because their a rebuilding team. Spurs want to make the playoffs.

Exactly. They are a lottery team.

BillMc
10-29-2019, 03:04 PM
I would have no objections to Lonnie playing a little in the G-League.

That said the "panic" on here because he's not playing is a little absurd. He'll get his shot, and frankly, needs to show more than athleticism. He needs to show he's a good basketball player. Metu is a hell of an athlete too but everyone isn't clamoring for him. It's just we're all a little fixated on Lonnie. Give it time.

exstatic
10-29-2019, 03:13 PM
I would have no objections to Lonnie playing a little in the G-League.

That said the "panic" on here because he's not playing is a little absurd. He'll get his shot, and frankly, needs to show more than athleticism. Metu is a hell of an athlete too but everyone isn't clamoring for him. It's just we're all a little fixated on Lonnie. Give it time.

There are guys like Metu all over the country in basketball programs and gyms. The same cannot be said about LW4. He actually has skills, and if Pop were one of those coaches that only cared about one side of the ball, he'd be playing rotation minutes right now. I know what you're thinking...Beli doesn't play defense, either. I'll stipulate that. His purpose is to block Lonnie's path until his defense becomes what it could, and he earns his spot as a true two way player. If you just stick LW4 out there, there's no incentive for him to improve on that side of the ball.

cd98
10-29-2019, 04:16 PM
Sometimes I think he holds these players back, and then when he gets to a game where he wants to rest his starters, he gives them big minutes and they put up a good performance in a hard fought loss and then they go back to the bench. It's like he takes a highly motivated player and gives him minutes in a game that the Spurs are going to otherwise concede and they hope that by playing a guy like Lonnie, he'll spark them to an unlikely win. Though usually when he tries this, the Spurs hang close, but lose in the end.

dubross
10-29-2019, 05:50 PM
Not necessarily. Thybulle for the sixers is playing 20
Plus minutes as a rookie. Simons for the blazers is in his second year playing 18 minutes a game. The hawks will surprise people and might make the playoffs. There are other 1st and second year players on contending teams getting minutes

offset formation
10-29-2019, 07:58 PM
I must've blinked and missed whatever you saw.
His defense was s spotty during preseason.

Spurtacular
10-29-2019, 10:59 PM
His defense was s spotty during preseason.

His individual offense was amazing.

Gregg needs to get over himself. He's afraid playing IV gonna diminish his all-time win percentage in the meantime.

monty4329
10-30-2019, 04:13 AM

Is this season ATL winning more games than the Spurs?

cd021
10-30-2019, 04:38 AM
Plus minutes as a rookie. Simons for the blazers is in his second year playing 18 minutes a game. The hawks will surprise people and might make the playoffs. There are other 1st and second year players on contending teams getting minutes

Even in the east, the Hawks making the playoffs is a pipe dream tbh.

Spurs tend to draft young, have them spend their rookie years in the G League aand then have them start getting minutes in year two. Year 3 is usually when they enter the rotation.

Walker still has a chance to crack the rotation but Beli is going to need to be usurped, that'll probably happen- hopefully sooner than later.

exstatic
10-30-2019, 06:33 AM
His individual offense was amazing.

Gregg needs to get over himself. He's afraid playing IV gonna diminish his all-time win percentage in the meantime.

I think Pop sees that LW IV has a chance to be a fantastic two way player, and would rather have him be that than a journeyman chucker along the lines of Jamaal Crawford or Beasley.

People here bitch that we don’t have two way players, and then bitch when Pop tries to train up three of them at one time, and it’s not happening fast enough to suit them.

Coach X
10-30-2019, 06:46 AM
Walker will have his opportunities whilst Murray rests. Also in case any other guard has an injury, and for this team, guards play 1,2 and 3 positions.

Depending on how Walker performs, his minutes will increase. He might overtake Marco in the rotation soon or maybe it takes some months. We shall see.

I'm confident he's becoming part of the rotation during the season, having the kind of leap Derrick White had last season in terms of playing time and importance.

duncan2k5
10-30-2019, 06:59 AM

That's a horrible way of thinking... I can name several teams they were playoff teams, but still played rookies... Those rookies then grew their games and turned those teams into contenders... Why the hell are we keeping back Lonnie? To lose in the first and second round? We need to start grooming him from now... On top of that he is CLEARLY better than Belineli... Even if u think he is worse, he isn't worse to the point where playing him more than Marco will take us from a marginal playoff team to the lottery

duncan2k5
10-30-2019, 07:02 AM

Exactly... I don't know what the fuck these guys are talking about

RC_Drunkford
10-30-2019, 07:31 AM
Expect Walker to play against the Warriors. Perfect game too as their bench is a bunch of G-League scrubs. Lonnie should score on them with ease

monty4329
10-30-2019, 07:34 AM
That's a horrible way of thinking... I can name several teams they were playoff teams, but still played rookies... Those rookies then grew their games and turned those teams into contenders... Why the hell are we keeping back Lonnie? To lose in the first and second round? We need to start grooming him from now... On top of that he is CLEARLY better than Belineli... Even if u think he is worse, he isn't worse to the point where playing him more than Marco will take us from a marginal playoff team to the lottery

- They played better rookies, maybe?.... Can you please name last season which playoff team (West) played a rookie at par or worse than Lonnie? I can't remember any.

- I really don't understand why LW and Beli overlap. Their game is completely different. Belinelli should sit, possibly, to make room for Carrol. Or just because he simply is no longer productive, especially considering the kind of offense the Spurs seem to prefere this season. Do we need another guard who can't shoot and doesn't defend, just because he jumps and runs all over the place (with no understanding of what is doing)? LW can develop into a player? Maybe. I prefer trying to win games.

This is not Phoenix, Orlando or Atlanta...

Fireball
10-30-2019, 09:10 AM
Expect Walker to play against the Warriors. Perfect game too as their bench is a bunch of G-League scrubs. Lonnie should score on them with ease

Lonnie showed he can create his own shot and run the fast break ... but other than that he does not seem to know where to be on the court on offense (off the ball) and on defense (rotations). I want Lonnie to play but I am sure those are the things Pop thinks Marco still can do better right now.

Spurtacular
10-30-2019, 09:14 AM
I think Pop sees that LW IV has a chance to be a fantastic two way player, and would rather have him be that than a journeyman chucker along the lines of Jamaal Crawford or Beasley.

People here bitch that we don’t have two way players, and then bitch when Pop tries to train up three of them at one time, and it’s not happening fast enough to suit them.

Players play. Gregg worried about himself.

monty4329
10-30-2019, 09:27 AM
Lonnie showed he can create his own shot and run the fast break ... but other than that he does not seem to know where to be on the court on offense (off the ball) and on defense (rotations). I want Lonnie to play but I am sure those are the things Pop thinks Marco still can do better right now.

Right. He is simply not ready.

J_Paco
10-30-2019, 11:57 AM
Players play. Gregg worried about himself.

I know you are one of the worst posters here, but what the fucking are you getting on about?!

Pop has a vision for the kid, unfortunately right now that means sitting and learning. I think he'll get his opportunities as the season moves along, but he needs to make the most of them and better understand his reads & rotations.

Also, I don't believe that getting reps against inferior competition in the G League will do Lonnie any good. He needs reps against NBA - caliber opponents and that isn't widely available on the developmental squad.

Lastly, Jerome Robinson - who was selected a few spots BEFORE Lonnie - is having the same issue with the Clippers & Doc Rivers the last two seasons. As well as a few other 1st round picks throughout the league, so this isn't just a "Pop is stubborn" thing.

Coaches want to maximize their chance of winning and that isn't entirely possible with too many young players in the rotation.

8FOR!3
10-30-2019, 12:35 PM

Kind of agree with this. But I do think Carroll should be getting minutes I'd even be willing to run an 11 man rotation early on in the season.

SpursDynasty85
10-30-2019, 02:16 PM
Looking back and seeing Lonnie on the sideline and not in the G-League makes me thing Lonnie will be playing pretty soon. The first 3 games of the season were must-win games that turned into games that we needed to win and Pop just trusts his veterans more at this point. However, the schedule is about to be brutal the next few weeks with a few back 2 backs and I see Lonnie playing in at least a third of the games moving forward. If he plays well his time will increase. Pop probably had it set in his mind Lonnie wouldn't play these first 3 games but he should definitely play (even start) one on of these back to back games coming up.

exstatic
10-30-2019, 03:09 PM
Looking back and seeing Lonnie on the sideline and not in the G-League makes me thing Lonnie will be playing pretty soon. The first 3 games of the season were must-win games that turned into games that we needed to win and Pop just trusts his veterans more at this point. However, the schedule is about to be brutal the next few weeks with a few back 2 backs and I see Lonnie playing in at least a third of the games moving forward. If he plays well his time will increase. Pop probably had it set in his mind Lonnie wouldn't play these first 3 games but he should definitely play (even start) one on of these back to back games coming up.

I think that in the Th/Fr B2B, for the game that DJ sits, White bumps up to starter like he was last year, and LW IV gets his bench minutes.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-30-2019, 03:22 PM
Can Belli go to the G-League instead?

Spurtacular
10-31-2019, 12:55 AM
I know you are one of the worst posters here, but what the fucking are you getting on about?!

Pop has a vision for the kid, unfortunately right now that means sitting and learning. I think he'll get his opportunities as the season moves along, but he needs to make the most of them and better understand his reads & rotations.

Also, I don't believe that getting reps against inferior competition in the G League will do Lonnie any good. He needs reps against NBA - caliber opponents and that isn't widely available on the developmental squad.

Lastly, Jerome Robinson - who was selected a few spots BEFORE Lonnie - is having the same issue with the Clippers & Doc Rivers the last two seasons. As well as a few other 1st round picks throughout the league, so this isn't just a "Pop is stubborn" thing.

Coaches want to maximize their chance of winning and that isn't entirely possible with too many young players in the rotation.

I know you think that all sounds good. But Lonnie gonna learn with experience, not spectating. Dude's way too talented to be rotting on the end of a bench.

SpursDynasty85
10-31-2019, 10:47 AM
I know you think that all sounds good. But Lonnie gonna learn with experience, not spectating. Dude's way too talented to be rotting on the end of a bench.

You can learn while on the bench and in practice too. Lonnie Luke Skywalker will happen soon.

Spurtacular
10-31-2019, 06:38 PM
You can learn while on the bench and in practice too. Lonnie Luke Skywalker will happen soon.

Practices in the NBA tend to be pretty light, tbh. Real game action is the way to go.

acoelho1
10-31-2019, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Pop starts Lonnie when Murray sits out one of these 2 games. Something he does when a player gets a dnp.