PDA

View Full Version : Spurs playing at a franchise-best pace

phxspurfan
10-29-2019, 11:25 AM
https://www.poundingtherock.com/platform/amp/2019/10/29/20937658/nba-san-anotnio-spurs-have-a-franchise-best-start-in-scoring

Knew there was something up with it. We’ve been running teams like crazy the first few games.

duncan2k5
10-29-2019, 11:32 AM
Almost every team has had a franchise best pace in the past couple years... The entire NBA pace is super high right now...

NASpurs
10-29-2019, 11:37 AM
http://www.espn.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/sort/paceFactor

10th in pace

Kobe'sAchilles
10-29-2019, 11:43 AM
I know it's a pipe dream but I would love for us to somehow get Julius Randle from the Knicks. We have the youth and the personal to play fast, but we are missing that sprint up the floor big man who just bullies past the guards for dunks

exstatic
10-29-2019, 11:45 AM

10th in pace

Pace is just one number. Any team can go up and down and chuck up shots. The Spurs are ahead of most of the teams with faster pace in both EFF FG% and TS%, and no one faster than them in pace is better than their 114.4 overall offensive efficiency.

DJR210
10-29-2019, 02:05 PM

10th in pace

If I read the stats correctly they've doubled their fast break points from last year thus far too

cjw
10-29-2019, 02:11 PM
All of Portland, NY and Washington appear to be middling teams pace-wise so far. But it’s very early (sample size), and big leads in the Portland game probably pushed pace.

Let’s see if these trends stick after 10-20 games.

Dejounte running point will inevitably lead to more pace because he’s rebounding the ball off misses and pushing.

tmtcsc
10-29-2019, 02:42 PM
The phrase Franchise-Best Pace makes absolutely no fucking sense. "Pace" in this sense is a NOUN - requiring an adjective to describe what type of "Pace". You can have a fast pace or a slow pace. The word is getting trashed improperly. Recently, I heard a football coach say his player would be out with a "foot". Da fuck? That's some lazy ass shit right there.

Jeph, if you're in here... "The Spurs are continuing their recent trend of playing at a "faster" pace, resulting in more offensive possessions per game. How many more? Last year they averaged a franchise high 99 offensive possessions per game. Through three contests this season, they are recording a little over 104."

cd98
10-29-2019, 02:53 PM
I noticed the Spurs playing with more pace. That's probably the answer when you don't have the shooters to spread the floor. Early offense gives space. But the flip side is a ton of turnovers and (1) can you do it for 82 games; and (2) can you survive in the playoffs where defenses are much better at stopping that kind of stuff.

exstatic
10-29-2019, 03:03 PM
All of Portland, NY and Washington appear to be middling teams pace-wise so far. But it’s very early (sample size), and big leads in the Portland game probably pushed pace.

Let’s see if these trends stick after 10-20 games.

Dejounte running point will inevitably lead to more pace because he’s rebounding the ball off misses and pushing.

Leads have nothing to do with pace. Pace is quite simply how many possessions there are in a game. The Spurs often had leads in 1999, and their pace was probably 90. They intentionally played slow to put pressure on the other team each time they had to try to score against our half court defense. When you have fewer possessions, each one is more important.

DJ would have something to do with it, but, realistically, he's only playing 22-23 minutes. That would only account for part of it.

SpurSpike
10-29-2019, 03:25 PM
The somewhat new 14 second shot reset rule plays a big part in that.

exstatic
10-29-2019, 03:55 PM
The somewhat new 14 second shot reset rule plays a big part in that.

That was in place last year. Their pace is 5 possessions higher now than then.

cjw
10-29-2019, 04:04 PM
Leads have nothing to do with pace. Pace is quite simply how many possessions there are in a game. The Spurs often had leads in 1999, and their pace was probably 90. They intentionally played slow to put pressure on the other team each time they had to try to score against our half court defense. When you have fewer possessions, each one is more important.

DJ would have something to do with it, but, realistically, he's only playing 22-23 minutes. That would only account for part of it.

When a team is down by 19 points (like Portland was), they’re going to push the pace more to create more possessions to allow for a comeback ... that’s where I was coming from. Same as football.

Spurs SHOULD have been running longer shot clocks (4 minute offense) during those runs. Need to take possessions out of game when you’re up big.

Close games can be more deliberate.

Uriel
10-29-2019, 04:33 PM
I thought the thread title was a joke about the Spurs being on pace to win 82 games.

Seventyniner
10-29-2019, 05:49 PM
That was in place last year. Their pace is 5 possessions higher now than then.

I'm more surprised by the Spurs' pace relative to the rest of the league. They have been near the bottom for a while iirc.

Ocotillo
10-29-2019, 05:53 PM
I know it's a pipe dream but I would love for us to somehow get Julius Randle from the Knicks. We have the youth and the personal to play fast, but we are missing that sprint up the floor big man who just bullies past the guards for dunks We ought to at least go right up the edge of tampering just to screw with the Knicks.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
10-29-2019, 09:41 PM
I thought the thread title was a joke about the Spurs being on pace to win 82 games.They are on Pace to win 82 games.

Arcadian
10-30-2019, 02:43 PM
I would prefer the term "franchise-high" because "best" is subjective.

phxspurfan
10-31-2019, 02:02 PM
They are on Pace to win 82 games.

we'll see after tonight :wakeup

SnakeBoy
10-31-2019, 04:32 PM
Spurs are also playing at their best tempo, best clip, best rate, and best rapitidy.