PDA

View Full Version : challenge rule

diego
11-01-2019, 12:02 AM
so could pop have challenged the call on the derozan turnover/foul? seems like it was an ideal moment to use it, though i understand nobody is used to it, I dont even know if pop or anyone has done it yet..

raybies
11-01-2019, 12:42 AM
same... i thought that was a good time as well..

FkLA
11-01-2019, 01:01 AM
Has Pop even challenged a single play yet? Would not surprise me if that arrogant asshole thinks challenging is beneath him.

pookenstein
11-01-2019, 06:26 AM
Has Pop even challenged a single play yet? Would not surprise me if that arrogant asshole thinks challenging is beneath him.

I'm not a Pop hater, but I think it's something like that.

james evans
11-01-2019, 06:38 AM
No. He will use a challenge when we are up 30 with 2 minutes to go in a game to show how involved he is

UZER
11-01-2019, 07:46 AM
Pop will challenge a call to take points away from his own team because “it wouldn’t be fair.”

Dex
11-01-2019, 09:55 AM
Elliott made a great point last night. He basically said, "You don't get to take it with you to the next game"

I'm all for saving it for the 4th quarter or tight point in the game...if you are going to use it, make the most of it.

But if you don't use it, you are simply wasting a chance at a competitive advantage. It's like leaving timeouts left on the board for no reason.

There were a couple of occasions last night where I felt the play or foul at least warranted further review.

Considering there are never games where the refs don't blow a single call, there should likewise be very few games where you don't use your challenge. Sorry if that hurts the refs poor little feelings.

Mugen
11-01-2019, 10:11 AM
:lol Hasn't challenged a single call all season, wouldn't be fair to the refs or the opponent

Dex
11-01-2019, 10:21 AM
so could pop have challenged the call on the derozan turnover/foul? seems like it was an ideal moment to use it, though i understand nobody is used to it, I dont even know if pop or anyone has done it yet..

After reviewing the Challenge Rule guidelines...I don't think Pop would have won that challenge.

A team can use its challenge in the following instances: a called personal foul charged to its own team; a called out-of-bounds violation; or a called goaltending or basket interference violation.

-- A team can use its challenge on a called personal foul at any point in the game.

-- In the last two minutes of the fourth period or the last two minutes of overtime, a called out-of-bounds violation or called goaltending/basket interference violation will not be challengeable and instead will be exclusively triggered by on-court referees.

Last night, no foul was called on Beverly when he stripped DeMar (even though there was a lot of contact). Basically, my understanding is you can't challenge a foul that isn't called.

Then DeMar fell backwards, and Beverly tripped over / laid on top of DeMar (depending upon your point of view), and DeMar was called for the foul when he shoved him off. In normal context, that shove would be considered a foul...but it wouldn't have happened if the refs had got the first call right and if Bev wasn't trying to pin DeRozan to the court.

Either way, I don't see the refs changing the non-call because of the challenge on the made call.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-01-2019, 03:26 PM
Elliott made a great point last night. He basically said, "You don't get to take it with you to the next game"

I'm all for saving it for the 4th quarter or tight point in the game...if you are going to use it, make the most of it.

But if you don't use it, you are simply wasting a chance at a competitive advantage. It's like leaving timeouts left on the board for no reason.

There were a couple of occasions last night where I felt the play or foul at least warranted further review.

Considering there are never games where the refs don't blow a single call, there should likewise be very few games where you don't use your challenge. Sorry if that hurts the refs poor little feelings.

Maybe he doesn't know about the rule change. He was coaching FIBA all summer. :)

diego
11-01-2019, 03:26 PM
After reviewing the Challenge Rule guidelines...I don't think Pop would have won that challenge.

Last night, no foul was called on Beverly when he stripped DeMar (even though there was a lot of contact). Basically, my understanding is you can't challenge a foul that isn't called.

Then DeMar fell backwards, and Beverly tripped over / laid on top of DeMar (depending upon your point of view), and DeMar was called for the foul when he shoved him off. In normal context, that shove would be considered a foul...but it wouldn't have happened if the refs had got the first call right and if Bev wasn't trying to pin DeRozan to the court.

Either way, I don't see the refs changing the non-call because of the challenge on the made call.

Thanks, I had heard of the rule but wasn't clear on the usage... Seems pretty limited if you can't review non-calls

Dex
11-01-2019, 03:40 PM
Thanks, I had heard of the rule but wasn't clear on the usage... Seems pretty limited if you can't review non-calls

It's definitely limited...but giving coaches the option to challenge non-calls is basically giving them the power to call fouls, so I understand the league being careful about opening that can of worms.

Leetonidas
11-01-2019, 03:42 PM
Can they use it on a non call? There was def a foul on Demar there but only after Beverly fouled the shit out of him on a reach with no call. Can they review no calls and then assess a foul?

Dex
11-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Can they use it on a non call? There was def a foul on Demar there but only after Beverly fouled the shit out of him on a reach with no call. Can they review no calls and then assess a foul?

Just to make this official:
https://official.nba.com/coachs-challenge/

Teams cannot challenge non-calls or other types of calls not listed.