PDA

View Full Version : Where is LaMarcus Aldridge aggressiveness?

ElNono
11-01-2019, 01:01 AM
Does this guy cares about winning or losing? He got bullied by a midget all night, fucked up defensive rotations and if his soft ass 20ft jumpers aren’t falling, he’s one of the most expensive paperweight this team has.

I guess his Halloween costume was a ghost, this dude was a no show on both ends. Will we ever see a LMA calling for the ball in the 4th, putting the team on his back, carrying this flawed team into a victory against a worthy opponent? Because if we do not, nothing else really matters. He takes a substantial amount of minutes, shots and money on this team, has shown zero leadership, will likely whine about being snubbed for an All Star spot...

Ugh, this guy is so disgusting tbh... hard to root for this team while this pansy ass is still around...

timtonymanu
11-01-2019, 01:06 AM
Things we already knew about LMA. He's being asked to be the best player/#1 option on a team when he's more suited as a 3rd option on a championship team. He will have flashes here and there when he shows he can lead the team, but especially when it comes to the playoffs, he will be a disappointment. As long as he's in the current role he's expected, the Spurs won't go far.

DPG21920
11-01-2019, 01:07 AM
Take away the carrot of the money by guaranteeing his deal and unfortunately you run the risk of this happening. I’m not saying it’s something that is an issue, but it’s something to watch and SA can’t be happy with that level of performance after the insane goodwill gesture from them.

ElNono
11-01-2019, 01:17 AM
Take away the carrot of the money by guaranteeing his deal and unfortunately you run the risk of this happening. I’m not saying it’s something that is an issue, but it’s something to watch and SA can’t be happy with that level of performance after the insane goodwill gesture from them.

I think he would rather go somewhere else at this point and as long as he gets his touches, he’ll be happy. I’m also not sure if the Spurs shouldn’t look around while his stock is still relatively high.

I know, the next question is who would you trade him for? And I don’t have an answer for that at this moment. I just think his demeanor is actually toxic. Say what you will about DDRs flaws, but at least he’s out there in crunch time making plays and taking shots. The whole no-show act is really annoying.

DPG21920
11-01-2019, 01:22 AM
I think he would rather go somewhere else at this point and as long as he gets his touches, he’ll be happy. I’m also not sure if the Spurs shouldn’t look around while his stock is still relatively high.

I know, the next question is who would you trade him for? And I don’t have an answer for that at this moment. I just think his demeanor is actually toxic. Say what you will about DDRs flaws, but at least he’s out there in crunch time making plays and taking shots. The whole no-show act is really annoying.

By making plays do you mean turning it over, missing 2 FT’s last game and taking soft fade always? Because if so, DeRozan is your guy :lol

poopbox
11-01-2019, 01:22 AM
Does LMA care about winning and losing? ABSOLUTELY NOT:lol

Need I remind you this is a guy who when he had the most team success of his career...going to the western conference finals and about to be up 1 - 0 on the warriors until Kawhi got hurt...HE ASKED FOR A TRADE IN THE OFFSEASON...

Then the next year when Kawhi was out and we played the LMA offense and were never going to be anything other than first round cannon fodder...LMA was as happy as I ever seen him here...

I mean...this is a dude who postponed knee surgery so he could go to the all star game and shoot two shots...that is how important being an "all star" is to him and that is how little winning means to him...

ElNono
11-01-2019, 01:31 AM
By making plays do you mean turning it over, missing 2 FT’s last game and taking soft fade always? Because if so, DeRozan is your guy :lol

At least he drives to the rack quite a bit and most importantly, doesn’t fucking hide. Missing free throws or turning it over happens (and yeah, he’s a flawed player in many respects), but it also means he wasn’t afraid of the moment. He’s carried this team in scoring at times. Again, he’s far from perfect and his decision making leaves a lot to be desired at times, but he doesn’t disappear.

DPG21920
11-01-2019, 01:33 AM
At least he drives to the rack quite a bit and most importantly, doesn’t fucking hide. Missing free throws or turning it over happens (and yeah, he’s a flawed player in many respects), but it also means he wasn’t afraid of the moment. He’s carried this team in scoring at times. Again, he’s far from perfect and his decision making leaves a lot to be desired at times, but he doesn’t disappear.

No, I was just taking a shot. I am good with DeRozan. I don’t love his game, but he is present even if the results aren’t always there. LMA has been great the past couple seasons and anchored the Spurs to the playoffs so I will give him a pass. But you can’t have efforts like this one.

SpurPadre
11-01-2019, 01:38 AM
Not defending LMA at all for having the worst performance of any player in a big role tonight but the dude is 34 going on 35. His best days are behind him. That's why we need Murray and White to continue to improve ASAP.

DPG21920
11-01-2019, 01:38 AM
Not defending LMA at all for having the worst performance of any player in a big role tonight but the dude is 34 going on 35. His best days are behind him. That's why we need Murray and White to continue to improve ASAP.

Play White more than 20 minutes then.

SpurPadre
11-01-2019, 01:40 AM
Play White more than 20 minutes then.

I'm all for that. White starting with Forbes off the bench. And if that makes the bench defense worse, play Carroll to mitigate that.

DPG21920
11-01-2019, 01:42 AM
I'm all for that. White starting with Forbes off the bench. And if that makes the bench defense worse, play Carroll to mitigate that.

You don’t even have to do that. Just give White all of Beli’s minutes.

ElNono
11-01-2019, 01:49 AM

Even more reason to trade him while you can still get something reasonable for him. This is big picture. The Spurs are not winning anything with this guy (even when he was 31-32 and had prime Kawhi next to him), so get a little younger, snatch a few picks.

I mean, is he even a fan favorite? His slow ass game is difficult to watch and everybody is already excited about the kids or the rare occasional Rudy Gay dunk.

Ozballer
11-01-2019, 01:52 AM
The issue with this team is mentality. The stark contrast between home and away games is very telling. Away games they are just content with competing and don't necessarily think they can win. Home games they can beat absolutely any team on their day. Leadership of course comes into it and besides a bad game here and there for LMA, is the collective mindset of the players that just think they are not good enough the minute they put a step out of San Antonio. This Clippers is a good example where they were just content with staying close. A close defeat and never really in it.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-01-2019, 01:54 AM
He was terrible against the Clippers , if we had LMAlpha we win easily, instead we had Softridge.

Guess at his age he can’t bring it every night, he doesn’t look in a perfect shape either.

duncan2k5
11-01-2019, 02:31 AM
Does LMA care about winning and losing? ABSOLUTELY NOT:lol

Need I remind you this is a guy who when he had the most team success of his career...going to the western conference finals and about to be up 1 - 0 on the warriors until Kawhi got hurt...HE ASKED FOR A TRADE IN THE OFFSEASON...

Then the next year when Kawhi was out and we played the LMA offense and were never going to be anything other than first round cannon fodder...LMA was as happy as I ever seen him here...

I mean...this is a dude who postponed knee surgery so he could go to the all star game and shoot two shots...that is how important being an "all star" is to him and that is how little winning means to him...

Funny how ive been saying this for YEARS and no one listened to me...

siraulo23
11-01-2019, 03:31 AM
How can he be aggressive when Derozan takes every shot on an iso :lol

BillMc
11-01-2019, 03:38 AM
How can he be aggressive when Derozan takes every shot on an iso :lol

This.

monty4329
11-01-2019, 03:45 AM
One year ago he was the same, and I wanted him gone. Then he turned it on. Let's just give him time, he'll be all right I guess.

cutewizard
11-01-2019, 06:55 AM
How about Kevin Love

RD2191
11-01-2019, 07:12 AM
LMA has always been a soft ass loser. I called it since day one. Folds like a lawn chair under any tiny amount of pressure. He's a clown and the Spurs won't ever win shit with his scrub ass on the roster.

DPG21920
11-01-2019, 07:59 AM
LMA has always been a soft ass loser. I called it since day one. Folds like a lawn chair under any tiny amount of pressure. He's a clown and the Spurs won't ever win shit with his scrub ass on the roster.

He’s competed well for years now and helped drag overmatched talent-wise SA teams to the playoffs. Tonight was pathetic but he’s been a really good player for SA.

sananspursfan21
11-01-2019, 08:12 AM
His competitive edge comes and goes. I’m not worried as much as I’m annoyed

poopbox
11-01-2019, 09:07 AM
He’s competed well for years now and helped drag overmatched talent-wise SA teams to the playoffs. Tonight was pathetic but he’s been a really good player for SA.

LMA is one of the reasons why the spurs are overmatched talent wise though...

It's hard to compete in todays nba when you are playing a big who doesn't shoot 3's...can't pass for shit...can't play fast...pounds the ball forever to get the majority of his points...doesn't really generate open shots for others because of his awful...AWFUL passing and general basketball awareness...

Lamarcus is the number one reason why our 3 point attempts are so low...he plays so slow and is such a bad passer that it is virtually impossible to ever move the ball fast enough to get consistent open 3's with him on the floor.

If you really want to talk about it...LMA is the reason Danny Green became such a bad shooter...since Danny basically had to be in LMA lap to ever get a 3 point attempt with him on the floor...greatly limiting where Danny could actually get 3 point shots from...

spurspl
11-01-2019, 10:45 AM
disapeared like spurss competetiveness after kawhis trade

Chomag
11-01-2019, 10:48 AM
Why isn't Pop calling out LA like he is on Lonnie? Easy pickings I guess...

John B
11-01-2019, 11:10 AM
How about Kevin Love
I would love Kevin Love for this guy tbh. Aldridge is disgustingly soft.

spurs10
11-01-2019, 01:04 PM
LMA did 'disappear' last night. Strange, as he had a good season last year.

Arcadian
11-01-2019, 01:08 PM
It's just weird how he has games like this, because he also has games where he looks like a fucking MVP candidate (like the 56 point game last year). I still think people here are too hard on him because he's a good player more often than not. And I'm sick of people complaining about his play style. Seriously, if you haven't accepted by now that his signature shot is a fadeaway jumper, just kill yourself and get it over with. He's not going to magically change styles late in his career. But after a game like this, which we would have won if he had given his normal output, he deserves to be shit on.

RC_Drunkford
11-01-2019, 01:26 PM
Aldridge is in his head a lot I guess. 4th quarter against Portland was the same. Once that happens he's a catastrophy. We just have 2 mentally soft star players in DeRozan and LA. It is what it is. He'll put up 40 against the lottery Warriors though.

Brazil
11-01-2019, 02:45 PM
LMA, aggressiveness;;; :lmao

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Funny how ive been saying this for YEARS and no one listened to me...

That's because we can't understand you with Kawhi's d!ck in your mouth.

ElNono
11-01-2019, 03:55 PM
It's just weird how he has games like this, because he also has games where he looks like a fucking MVP candidate (like the 56 point game last year). I still think people here are too hard on him because he's a good player more often than not. And I'm sick of people complaining about his play style. Seriously, if you haven't accepted by now that his signature shot is a fadeaway jumper, just kill yourself and get it over with. He's not going to magically change styles late in his career. But after a game like this, which we would have won if he had given his normal output, he deserves to be shit on.

‘Good’ players don’t get the max. Great, consistent players do. Whenever some team overpays for above average talent, everybody here is quick to laugh out loud, but this is what we did with LMA.

timtonymanu
11-03-2019, 09:28 PM
I guess we shouldn’t be surprised at this point

UZER
11-03-2019, 09:34 PM
I guess we shouldn’t be surprised at this point

I approved the extension.

:pop:

GAustex
11-03-2019, 09:34 PM
I am sensing a down tick in his mobility. Father Time is undefeated.

ZeusWillJudge
11-03-2019, 09:58 PM
Where is LaMarcus Aldridge aggressiveness? (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281689&page=2)

He shipped it ahead to Portland.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
11-03-2019, 10:03 PM
Why isn't Pop calling out LA like he is on Lonnie? Easy pickings I guess...Because Aldridge has carried the team the last 2 seasons. What has that scrub Walker done?

Roscoe P. Coltrane
11-03-2019, 10:10 PM
I am sensing a down tick in his mobility. Father Time is undefeated.Vince Carter has defeated Father Time several times already.

BatManu20
11-03-2019, 10:13 PM
Lakers are too big for him at this point in his career tbh. He should’ve played better regardless, because eight points on two of nine shooting as a joke, but he’s never going to have huge games against Anthony Davis and JaVale McGee. They’re just too big and long for him to be effective.

SpurPadre
11-03-2019, 10:20 PM
He definitely needs to step up consistently against the elite teams but I think it gets overlooked that the guy is 34 and will be 35 in four months. His best days are clearly behind him.

MultiTroll
11-03-2019, 10:24 PM
LMA could easily improve his 3 point shooting. He has already show he is capable of treys, plus dinasoars such as Jason Kidd have worked on it late in their careers and improved. He just has no motivation and Popped is a large part of that by catering to him plus the idiotic money guarantee. He would have been in essentially a contract year.

GAustex
11-03-2019, 10:31 PM
Vince Carter has defeated Father Time several times already.
I did not care for the young full of hisself Carter but older Vince is honorable and he done well holding back the ravages of time. We could only hope that LMA ages as well. I am afraid he won’t. He does not have the heart.

ZeusWillJudge
11-03-2019, 10:37 PM
I did not care for the young full of hisself Carter but older Vince is honorable and he done well holding back the ravages of time. We could only hold that LMA ages as well. I am afraid he won’t. He does not have the heart.

Big men don't age as well. It used to be that they would develop a midrange game, if they wanted to extend their time in the league. I don't know what LMA could do.

TD 21
11-03-2019, 10:53 PM
Lakers are too big for him at this point in his career tbh. He should’ve played better regardless, because eight points on two of nine shooting as a joke, but he’s never going to have huge games against Anthony Davis and JaVale McGee. They’re just too big and long for him to be effective.

So after last season, you're just assuming he's fallen off a cliff? Because he's destroyed the likes of Davis, Towns, Gobert, Gasol, etc. in recent years.

I'm not arguing otherwise necessarily. It's bound to happen sooner than later, but I think he's earned more time before jumping to conclusions.

Big men don't age as well. It used to be that they would develop a midrange game, if they wanted to extend their time in the league. I don't know what LMA could do.

Skilled, below the rim types like Aldridge do; which is why he's coming off arguably his two best seasons at 32 and 33 respectively.

Unless he pulls a Malone and is somehow still a 1st option type in his mid-late 30s, his path is extending his range to 3. With his high, quick release and soft touch, he could be a lethal stretch five if he embraces it.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
11-03-2019, 11:01 PM
export him to china STAT

ElNono
11-03-2019, 11:36 PM
So after last season, you're just assuming he's fallen off a cliff? Because he's destroyed the likes of Davis, Towns, Gobert, Gasol, etc. in recent years.

I'm not arguing otherwise necessarily. It's bound to happen sooner than later, but I think he's earned more time before jumping to conclusions.

The problem I see is that his ceiling/this team’s ceiling is not that high but his personal trade value might still be. He’s at that age where one bad season can really make that contract untradeable, and so, IMO, you have to be realistic about this team’s chances, what we’re trying to accomplish with the young kids and think if this is the time to get best value back from him.

I can totally understand if somebody doesn’t think that way, and thinks LMA is just on a funk and he can be effective at least another two seasons, but I also think it’s a valid concern...

TD 21
11-03-2019, 11:44 PM
The problem I see is that his ceiling/this team’s ceiling is not that high but his personal trade value might still be. He’s at that age where one bad season can really make that contract untradeable, and so, IMO, you have to be realistic about this team’s chances, what we’re trying to accomplish with the young kids and think if this is the time to get best value back from him.

I can totally understand if somebody doesn’t think that way, and thinks LMA is just on a funk and he can be effective at least another two seasons, but I also think it’s a valid concern...

Nah, it isn't. He's basically the antithesis of what people want in bigs today (inability/refusal to be a switcher, spacer or rim runner). He'd probably fetch either a solid young veteran or a lottery protected 1st as the centerpiece and given their aversion to tanking, he's more valuable to them than that.

DeRozan is who they need to trade at all costs. It doesn't even matter what the return is; it'd be addition by subtraction.

cool cat
11-04-2019, 02:46 AM
That's 2 big games he hasn't shown up for, not a good sign.

Yogatti
11-04-2019, 02:56 AM
I think he's mentally checked out because he wants to go back to Portland to finish his career there

Fireball
11-04-2019, 03:02 AM
it took him awhile to get going last season and this was 3 games in 4 nights (which I doubt Timmy ever had to play at age 34 but I do not know). He still should have been more succesful against the Clippers ... the Lakers have a lot of big bodies to use against him though

RC_Drunkford
11-04-2019, 05:30 AM
Pop just gotta play Aldridge ball. Establish him early. That's still the best chance for this team to win games. Otherwise he's not in rhythm and throws up bricks. Then he gets disengaged on defense. I also don't understand why people say he can't shoot 3s, he's been shooting them since his Portland days, Pop just has to run plays for him to get open from 3.

GreekSpursfan
11-04-2019, 05:51 AM
As i said in the predictions thread if LMA has regressed, the season is already over. This game is not the appropriate sample size since the Lakers have bigs to throw at him but the previous games weren't good either. LMA is soft we know that since day one so if his shot isn't falling and his defense is anaemic he's practically useless.

duncan2k5
11-04-2019, 08:24 AM
We need to trade both him and DDR... We will definitely get better...we will have a more free flowing offense, and whoever we get in return (plus draft picks) should be ppl that facilitate the current state of the NBA, even if they're role players

Mirrornick
11-04-2019, 08:29 AM
The guy is past his prime.

K...
11-04-2019, 09:14 AM
One reason I wanted white to start and DeroZan to be benched. Absolutely let's LMA get warm before Murray and DeroZan take over.

TimDunkem
11-04-2019, 09:20 AM
Pop just gotta play Aldridge ball. Establish him early. That's still the best chance for this team to win games. Otherwise he's not in rhythm and throws up bricks. Then he gets disengaged on defense. I also don't understand why people say he can't shoot 3s, he's been shooting them since his Portland days, Pop just has to run plays for him to get open from 3.

I've consciously ovserved his 3 ball attempts since the Portland days, and he definitely hesitates when shooting them since becoming a Spur. Odd considering LMA said he would make it a focus of his game going on...what? 2 or 3 years now?

Kurgan
11-04-2019, 09:27 AM
I've consciously ovserved his 3 ball attempts since the Portland days, and he definitely hesitates when shooting them since becoming a Spur. Odd considering LMA said he would make it a focus of his game going on...what? 2 or 3 years now?

When he rejoins the Blazers most likely.

RC_Drunkford
11-04-2019, 11:31 AM

you mean like Trey Lyles, DeMar DeRozan, Derrick White, Dejounte Murray, Jonathon Simmons, Kyle Anderson, etc., etc.? Pretty sure that's on the coach

Slippy
11-04-2019, 07:49 PM

Dis-engaged. Thats exactly what's happening. If I had to Criticize LA it's that mental aspect of his game but as you rightly pointed out hes a rythm guy . We have known this for awhile now. Unlike Demar however when LA is a no show he doesnt impact the spurs negatively as much as Demars ball dominant game does.. nor does he impede the progress of spurs youth.

Slippy
11-04-2019, 08:16 PM
One reason I wanted white to start and DeroZan to be benched. Absolutely let's LMA get warm before Murray and DeroZan take over.

Yap there are so many reasons why Demar should be off the bench. Doubt pop would go for it. It's easier to whip the likes of Derek, Dj and Lonnie than Demar. He being too emo to handle demotion and pop so heavily invested in the Demar trade.

sasaint
11-04-2019, 08:39 PM
We need to trade both him and DDR... We will definitely get better...we will have a more free flowing offense, and whoever we get in return (plus draft picks) should be ppl that facilitate the current state of the NBA, even if they're role players

Yeah, I advocated this last season and was informed that I was an advocate of tanking.

sasaint
11-04-2019, 08:41 PM
Yap there are so many reasons why Demar should be off the bench. Doubt pop would go for it. It's easier to whip the likes of Derek, Dj and Lonnie than Demar. He being too emo to handle demotion and pop so heavily invested in the Demar trade.

When sports considerations take a backseat to personal ones...

K...
11-04-2019, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I advocated this last season and was informed that I was an advocate of tanking.

there's no way to expect to get trade value from derozan and last year we were down quality guards and wings. This year it's plausible that murray, white, forbes can replace him but there's no rush to do so and pop probably likes derozan........so yeah,who knows what's going to happen.