PDA

View Full Version : Bryn Forbes: The New Patty Mills?

RD2191
11-06-2019, 09:04 AM
Is this scrub the new Patty Mills? Dude is jacking up shots like he's prime Curry or something.

onechance87
11-06-2019, 09:13 AM
Should be off starting if he aint shooting over 40 percent from 3

Poolboy5623
11-06-2019, 09:16 AM
I have a really hard time watching a Spurs team that starts Forbes tbh. It's pretty sad and pathetic.

sananspursfan21
11-06-2019, 09:17 AM
He had a great preseason but I guess regressed to the mean?

Mugen
11-06-2019, 09:39 AM
Roger Forbes Jr. got a pass from me in preseason and earlier because of how horrible Beli has been and Fatty up to his old tricks...

But holy shit, this kid is handed the keys to the castle while the much better younger guys are pulled at a moment's notice.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this dumbass organization ended up picking Roger Forbes Jr. over DWhite.

TimDunkem
11-06-2019, 09:55 AM
I called him Charity Case for years and this is why. He's just one of Pop's guys now and will get everything he wants including PT, money, and the green light.

duncan2k5
11-06-2019, 09:59 AM
Forbes was good when he was simply catching and shooting, or pump faking and driving when ran off the line... Now he is taking pull up threes on fast breaks and shooting threes over ppl off the dribble... That's not his game... So he misses those then doesn't get a rhythm established... So he plays like shit offensively the rest of the game, and he is already trash defensively

TDomination
11-06-2019, 10:09 AM
I will admit that I was surprised to see how well Forbes did last year. He was pretty much the only one that showed up in Game 7 last year against the Nuggets and looked pretty solid throughout the year. So far this year he hasn't been that 3pt threat that we have sorely needed in that starting lineup. And unsurprisingly his size has been a detriment to the team on the defensive end.

In my perfect world with this team, Forbes would be the new Patty but with a Forbes contract and Patty would no longer be on the team. Off the bench I think Forbes could light it up. Forbes/Walker/Carrol/Gay/Peotel wouldn't be terrible off the bench IMO. Yeah Walker hasn't looked great but neither has Marco and I'd rather give the young guy 20-30 games to try and prove himself and then go from there. And of course that would make the Starting Lineup Murray/White/DDR/Lyles/LMA.

But of course I'm not Pop and i know Pop will NEVER EVER do this.

TimDunkem
11-06-2019, 10:13 AM
Of course he wouldn't. Replacing Patty with Forbes full time as a shooter off the bench actually makes sense so, naturally, Pop goes with both and plays them in roles that are a detriment to the team.

You know, Pop 2019 shit.

ZeusWillJudge
11-06-2019, 10:16 AM
Forbes was good when he was simply catching and shooting, or pump faking and driving when ran off the line... Now he is taking pull up threes on fast breaks and shooting threes over ppl off the dribble... That's not his game... So he misses those then doesn't get a rhythm established... So he plays like shit offensively the rest of the game, and he is already trash defensively

That's it exactly. Forbes has one of the best strokes out there, but when he starts putting the ball on the floor, bad things happen.

Kobe'sAchilles
11-06-2019, 10:27 AM
Damn the west is so shitty this year and I still think we miss the playoffs :lol

Forbes starting. Mills getting playing time. Marco getting playing time. White not starting or even playing big minutes. This team already had a small window of error, but it's crazy how difficult Pop is making it on the team. on the positive side, we are getting a high draft pick this year.

B1gduff
11-06-2019, 11:31 AM
I though you guys were pissed that's he wasn't getting enough shots last year, and now he is?

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-06-2019, 11:34 AM
To me, he's a little like Mills in that he has his strengths, but he's being asked to do too much. Let him rain threes with the second unit for 12 minutes a game and that would be the perfect role for him.

RC_Drunkford
11-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Forbes would be super efficient as a bench player. The problem is the Spurs also have Patty Mills under contract so Pop has to start Forbes to play Mills off the bench. In an ideal scenario Mills is gone and Forbes is your 7th man. Can't wait for him to sign that 50 Million $ contract, you know it's coming

TimDunkem
11-06-2019, 11:49 AM
I though you guys were pissed that's he wasn't getting enough shots last year, and now he is?

He got the shots he should have. He's an undersized, spot up shooter who can occasionally score with a floater. His role should be on the bench. Anything more is a gross misuse of his abilities. Unfortunately, this team is so poorly constructed that he is jacking shots as a starter.

John B
11-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Forbes is fine. He missed some easy shots last night. But a shooter cannot stop shooting. The problem is Aldridge not establishing the paint. That’s where Forbes open shots would come from, in and out.

UZER
11-06-2019, 12:06 PM
Amazing that one Patty Mills is not good enough for Pop. He has to have two of them on the team at the same time, and start one while playing the other heavy minutes.

Time to go old man.

mookie2001
11-06-2019, 12:17 PM
If y’all think Forbes is bad, you should check out the rest of our team you’d plotz.

cd98
11-06-2019, 12:32 PM
Problem is that to spread the court the Spurs need 3 point shooters and as bad as he has been lately, he's the best 3 point shooter on the team.

Dejounte
11-06-2019, 12:40 PM
Honestly Forbes is the only one who plays with passion consistently

jyra
11-06-2019, 12:51 PM
I don't get how Patty isn't at least getting more minutes in games where Forbes is not shooting well. So far Forbes has played more minutes in every game.

FkLA
11-06-2019, 01:02 PM
Forbes if fine. He's a proven shooter entering his prime. It's not like he's Belli, who's only going downhill from here. He has to shoot even if he has a few bad shooting nights. That's what he's out there for. All great shooters have their slumps. Bert, who everyone is in love with now that he's gone, would get attacked every time he had a slump too.

I mean it'd be nice if White, Murray, and Walker played more but I'd much rather those minutes come from Wombat and Belli before Forbes.

kht
11-06-2019, 01:20 PM
Put some respect on his name... one of the few guys that showed up in Game 7 last season.

monty4329
11-06-2019, 01:39 PM

Zero movement offense. Forbes, like Mills and Beli actually, is forced to take pull up threes with the defense in his face because he almost never catches the ball out of a screen or a cut. Being this by design or not, this is Spurs offense today. Even Curry would have troubles shooting.

John B
11-06-2019, 02:01 PM
I don't get how Patty isn't at least getting more minutes in games where Forbes is not shooting well. So far Forbes has played more minutes in every game.
You actually want more minutes for Patty? :lol:lol

Big P
11-06-2019, 02:28 PM
Don't worry, the FO will sign him to a 4 year $70 mil deal next year and we can watch him chuck up shots for years to come.

Kurgan
11-06-2019, 02:41 PM
Don't worry, the FO will sign him to a 4 year $70 mil deal next year and we can watch him chuck up shots for years to come.

And that's when he becomes Patty 2.0 The fans are only tolerating Forbes right now because he's cheap. The second we overpay him, everyone will turn on him(and justifiably so).

TimDunkem
11-06-2019, 02:43 PM
And you better believe he's getting that contract, Sniffers. Pop is most certainly grooming him to take Patty's spot in his bed.

SpurPadre
11-06-2019, 02:46 PM
Just when I was warming to the guy, he reverts to his chucking ways. He is way too aggressive with his shot as if he were a star. This problem will be mitigated by coming off the bench but optimally, we're much better off with a starting backcourt of Murray and White.

r0drig0lac
11-06-2019, 02:51 PM
And that's when he becomes Patty 2.0 The fans are only tolerating Forbes right now because he's cheap. The second we overpay him, everyone will turn on him(and justifiably so).

His ideal fit is like Cook at Lakers, having a small SG on the court for a long time is a big drawback, especially with so many defensively weak links in the team. Fortunately for him and unfortunately for the team, he's one of the few guys out there who seems to care about winning, but on a team with real pretensions it would be the 8th or 9th in the rotation.

John B
11-06-2019, 03:06 PM
He had a bad night. Somebody has to shoot to open up the lane, and he’s Spurs best shooter. It’s not gonna be Demar anytime soon. I hate Aldridge doing it. Lyle is actually starting to. Forbes’ shots are contested because f%cking Aldridge is too soft to establish low bottomline. Defensive, Spurs need to close with Murray and White when minutes restrictions are done.

apalisoc_9
11-06-2019, 03:19 PM
he is the new roger mason

jyra
11-06-2019, 04:29 PM
You actually want more minutes for Patty? :lol:lol

Sure, if that means Forbes plays less. Have you looked at their shooting percentages?

timtonymanu
11-06-2019, 04:35 PM
I actually think he’s the least of our problems. Even with his limitations, at least Forbes looks like he cares about winning when he’s on the floor.

koriwhat
11-06-2019, 05:03 PM
I actually think he’s the least of our problems. Even with his limitations, at least Forbes looks like he cares about winning when he’s on the floor.

totally agree. dude has put in the work to get where he is and the occasional flop of a game is expected out of any player tbh. i've grown to really like forbes and don't have crazy expectations of him.

the dude bulked up, has worked on his defense, and on some nights looks like our only player out there with balls.

jermaine
11-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Why is it Spurs fans act like small players are the worst, but we get killed by small players... At this point, I'd trade DDR an make Murray an Forbes our go to guys. Forbes isnt afraid of the lights

BackHome
11-06-2019, 06:20 PM
I don’t mind Forbes but not as a starter his defense even though he tries is just a notch above MILLS.

tbdog
11-06-2019, 06:27 PM
Forbes off the bench. Walker not progressing as he should and White and Murray on some strange mimiute restriction has enabled Forbes to start. That's the problem. Look internally or make a trade, but the Spurs need to have a solid back court for 30+ minutes. They not getting it.

jjktkk
11-06-2019, 08:06 PM
Just when I was warming to the guy, he reverts to his chucking ways. He is way too aggressive with his shot as if he were a star. This problem will be mitigated by coming off the bench but optimally, we're much better off with a starting backcourt of Murray and White.I'm hoping that Forbes is just trying to figure out his role. But he is the designated chucker on this team, with a green light. to shoot. And also like you I too hope that Pop eventually will start White and Murray together.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
11-06-2019, 08:08 PM
if he hits his shots then hes got green lights all the way to east egg

SAGirl
11-06-2019, 09:02 PM
Roger Forbes Jr. got a pass from me in preseason and earlier because of how horrible Beli has been and Fatty up to his old tricks...

But holy shit, this kid is handed the keys to the castle while the much better younger guys are pulled at a moment's notice.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this dumbass organization ended up picking Roger Forbes Jr. over DWhite.
I can see it happening. They desperately need shooting and he’s the only Spurs young shooter that panned out (Bertans wasn’t just traded, he never had the prominent minutes and guaranteed rotation spot Forbes had since his second season.). The last Spurs shooter Pop loved got paid 50 mills and Marco, while they didn’t pay him the $20 million that Sacramento did in 2015, they really couldn’t wait to bring him back. They really could go out and get a better player who is a shooter but that entails a real makeover of this team they probably aren’t prepared to do (or some tanking they don’t want to do).

My crystal ball can’t see Whites future with the team. They need to get out from some bad contracts and dead weight to get him paid. Maybe they will, but it’s also possible they don’t.

RD2191
01-03-2020, 01:13 AM
:downspin: