PDA

View Full Version : Trading LMA to Portland seems like a win/win

Dverde
11-09-2019, 10:33 AM
Assuming the Spurs mediocrity persists...

Isn’t a trade with Portland a win/win for both teams? I saw the Spurs guarantee salary for LaMarcus Aldridge’s next year as an increase of his value for a new team. It’s obvious he’d want to be back at Portland if traded. The guts of the trade would be LMA with bench players as filler for Whiteside (expiring) and Nurkic. The trade makes Portland a top tier title contender for the next two years maximizing Lillard’s prime years. Spurs get a solid young big man in Nurkic to play with the younger guards. Spurs also get more cap room for the upcoming offseason to overpay Forbes and/or DeRozan.

spurspl
11-09-2019, 11:00 AM
agree but patfo wont do that as long as pop is a coach

Allan Rowe vs Wade
11-09-2019, 11:01 AM
wow trade lma to portland that has never been said

Chinook
11-09-2019, 11:11 AM
Shit no.

spurspl
11-09-2019, 11:21 AM
lma mills poetlt for hassan nurkic and little or just lma poeltl and a pick for hassan collins little

next step should be trading ddr for a 3andD player like f.e otto porter jr

tbdog
11-09-2019, 11:22 AM
So our best player for an injured 7ft, and headcase expiring center? Fuck me.

EasyMoney
11-09-2019, 11:24 AM
It doesn't help you if you're Portland because it still doesn't solve their deficiency in the 4 and 5 spot. If a trade to Portland is on the table then you got to take back Rodney good (no trade clause)and nurkic. But they only do this if they intend on keeping whiteside

Joseph Kony
11-09-2019, 11:29 AM
"let's trade our old big man for Portland's younger big man who is better!"

yeah ok. they're not trading Nurkic for LMA :lmao :lmao

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-09-2019, 11:30 AM
How is being a lottery team a win for the Spurs?

MultiTroll
11-09-2019, 11:48 AM
The trade makes Portland a top tier title contender for the next two years
No.

MultiTroll
11-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Spurs also get more cap room for the upcoming offseason to overpay Forbes and/or DeRozan.
Now you've got Pops ear.

Gibbz
11-09-2019, 12:09 PM

His leg fell off. Portland is losing games right now. I could easily see them taking that deal. I could not, however, see SA doing it.

sasaint
11-09-2019, 02:36 PM
Nurkic is just a younger dinosaur than LMA, but just as extinct nowadays.

Seventyniner
11-09-2019, 03:00 PM
Trading our best player to a team who won't give us more than 20 cents on the dollar? Been there, done that.

Kurgan
11-09-2019, 03:24 PM
LMA's on court production is more valuable to the Spurs than anything he can bring back in a trade.

Mugen
11-09-2019, 03:35 PM
I'd trade for Whiteside because he actually might be the 1 guy to finally push Pop to retirement :lol

itzsoweezee
11-09-2019, 03:54 PM
It would make much more sense to trade DeRozan.

mo7888
11-09-2019, 03:55 PM
No....just no...

DPG21920
11-09-2019, 04:16 PM
It’s fine trading him to POR just not for that package. Likely would need to be 3 teams and SA would need a first and at least Collins amongst other things.

mienhmario
11-09-2019, 04:27 PM
I agree with trading LA. For the past 4-5 years, LA has been very inefficient in the playoffs. He once demanded to be fed very early in games in order to be effective. Spurs listened but it was just all smoke in the playoffs. I wished he would continue doing what Pop wanted him to do in the first two years with the Spurs.

Joseph Kony
11-09-2019, 04:58 PM
His leg fell off. Portland is losing games right now. I could easily see them taking that deal. I could not, however, see SA doing it.

Nah. He'll come back fine. Portland isnt going to mortgage their future big in exchange for an aging LMA to improve marginally now. leg break isnt that huge of an injury tbh, he'll come back fine after a full season

TimDunkem
11-09-2019, 06:16 PM
As much as I hate LMA we need him. We would literally have no valuable bigs on this team. The smarter trade is finding someone to take DDR so you can get LMA some help while allowing the young guards to flourish.

Dverde
11-09-2019, 06:52 PM
As much as I hate LMA we need him. We would literally have no valuable bigs on this team. The smarter trade is finding someone to take DDR so you can get LMA some help while allowing the young guards to flourish.

The point of the trade is to rebuild for the future with Nurkic and Luka as the bigs. Pair them with Murray and White as the nucleus going forward. LMA has maybe has two good productive years left. We were all spoiled with Duncan. We can’t expect that with LMA. I really like LMA, I would want to trade him to a good situation. I can’t see DDR getting anything great back in a trade. Obviously this would be a trade deadline move with the Spurs underachieving expectations.

Thomas82
11-09-2019, 06:58 PM
LA has just 1 point after 3 quarters!?!? :wow

spurspl
11-09-2019, 07:05 PM
LA has just 1 point after 3 quarters!?!? :wow
ALL STAR XDD

Play Boban
11-09-2019, 07:06 PM

Truth nuke. Portland isn’t going to trade away their future for an aging overrated player tbh.

Dverde
11-09-2019, 07:16 PM
https://www.billboard.com/files/styles/article_main_image/public/media/Damian-Lillard-portrait-2019-billboard-1548.jpg
Truth nuke. Portland isn’t going to trade away their future for an aging overrated player tbh.

:lol you think the front office still makes the decisions. If Portland continues to struggle the real GM will trade away their “future” for right now.

https://www.billboard.com/files/styles/article_main_image/public/media/Damian-Lillard-portrait-2019-billboard-1548.jpg

dbreiden83080
11-09-2019, 07:38 PM
Why the hell would they want him back LOL? He is awful right now..

Mal
11-09-2019, 07:40 PM
Ship his ass away

TD 21
11-09-2019, 07:52 PM
LMA's on court production is more valuable to the Spurs than anything he can bring back in a trade.

Yeah. I'd be fine with trading him for Nurkic if he requests a trade after the season and/or alerts them that he's planning to sign with the Trail Blazers after next season either way, but I'd actually prefer to keep him. He fits with the young guards and they need some sort of focal point.

As Dverde said, Lillard would also likely need to play a significant role. If he pressures the Trail Blazers to make this move, they'll do it. If he doesn't, it's probably a coin flip.

It's obviously a question mark as to whether he can regain previous form, but he's probably the best that can be hoped for. Otherwise, it's a lottery protected 1st and/or B prospect.

outmap
11-09-2019, 07:55 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yxu6uk8n

Nivek_ogre
11-09-2019, 08:48 PM
Find a way to get a third team involved to maybe get Kevin love in return

sasaint
11-09-2019, 09:11 PM

First of all, the Spurs do not want Kevin Love and his bloated contract. But if they did, there would not be any need to involve a third team.

Nivek_ogre
11-09-2019, 09:21 PM
First of all, the Spurs do not want Kevin Love and his bloated contract. But if they did, there would not be any need to involve a third team.

Just giving an example of what kind a crap I'd rather have than Aldridge. Just want players that will not further halt the development of our young players. Rather tank with the young players than see this lifeless team struggling for an 8 seed at best

DeRozan m8
11-09-2019, 09:25 PM
3 points on that salary.

Fuck me

XDT76
11-09-2019, 11:36 PM
I hate the current version of LMA, he doesn't bully smaller bugs and not fast enough to play at perimeter. He gotta either lose some weight to play faster like Duncan towards his end of career or put on more mass to dominate inside the paint.

sasaint
11-10-2019, 12:06 AM
I hate the current version of LMA, he doesn't bully smaller bugs and not fast enough to play at perimeter. He gotta either lose some weight to play faster like Duncan towards his end of career or put on more mass to dominate inside the paint.

Mass? He has plenty of mass. That is not his problem. It’s his mindset. He has avoided being physical his whole career but for a few aberrant games a season. He has never been willing to consistently get physical and mix it up in the paint and bully an opponent even he has all the necessary physical tools.

duncan2k5
11-10-2019, 12:23 AM
Yeah. I'd be fine with trading him for Nurkic if he requests a trade after the season and/or alerts them that he's planning to sign with the Trail Blazers after next season either way, but I'd actually prefer to keep him. He fits with the young guards and they need some sort of focal point.

As Dverde said, Lillard would also likely need to play a significant role. If he pressures the Trail Blazers to make this move, they'll do it. If he doesn't, it's probably a coin flip.

It's obviously a question mark as to whether he can regain previous form, but he's probably the best that can be hoped for. Otherwise, it's a lottery protected 1st and/or B prospect.

He is keeping the young guards back... They defer to him whenever he is in the game because they know if they don't, he pouts

Beartrucci
11-10-2019, 12:28 AM
3 points on that salary.

Fuck me

It’s probably been said in thread, but what other player in NBA would have a 3 point game after a 39 point game? It’s just unreal. It has to be disheartening as a teammate as well when this team is desperately needing some on court leadership. With LMA and Demar leading, as a role player you don’t feel any confidence when things aren’t going your way because neither of those guys have that “put it on my shoulders” mentality at the moment to lift others up.

spurspl
11-10-2019, 03:38 AM

when u understand that this team needs a young players to rebuild around murray?? This team is a shit right now and even if u add lbj its not enough to be a contender.

GreekSpursfan
11-10-2019, 03:44 AM
It’s fine trading him to POR just not for that package. Likely would need to be 3 teams and SA would need a first and at least Collins amongst other things.

You're asking too much for this version of LMA. We can't get anything significant for him, i'm afraid he's staying.

alpha_HaZE
11-10-2019, 04:08 AM
I would go for this trade :)

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yx3oxuee

DeRozan m8
11-10-2019, 04:52 AM
It’s probably been said in thread, but what other player in NBA would have a 3 point game after a 39 point game? It’s just unreal. It has to be disheartening as a teammate as well when this team is desperately needing some on court leadership. With LMA and Demar leading, as a role player you don’t feel any confidence when things aren’t going your way because neither of those guys have that “put it on my shoulders” mentality at the moment to lift others up.

Nailed it.

Lma and demar flat out do not deserve what they earn.

spurspl
11-10-2019, 05:15 AM
the only very possible trade that works for every team is: lma mills and poeltl+2nd pick for nurkic hassan and little and ddr for otto porter

murray/little/otto porter/luka/nurkic - young and prospect starting 5, great D with murray and otto, 3pt with otto and maybe little of he develops good which is very possible under our coaches, and two bigs in luka and nurkic

EasyMoney
11-10-2019, 06:09 AM
the only very possible trade that works for every team is: lma mills and poeltl+2nd pick for nurkic hassan and little and ddr for otto porter

murray/little/otto porter/luka/nurkic - young and prospect starting 5, great D with murray and otto, 3pt with otto and maybe little of he develops good which is very possible under our coaches, and two bigs in luka and nurkic

Hell no. Anyone team with aspirations about winning a title should not starting Otto porter

spurspl
11-10-2019, 07:02 AM
Hell no. Anyone team with aspirations about winning a title should not starting Otto porter

why not? ddr who disappears in PO is better?

EasyMoney
11-10-2019, 03:08 PM
Blazers get Aldridge and belinelli
Magic get DeRozan and filler
Spurs get Rodney hood, Evan Fournier, and aaron gordon

sasaint
11-10-2019, 03:46 PM
I would go for this trade :)

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yx3oxuee

Why would Portland want two dinosaur PFs - one on a huge contract for 3 more years? And why would SA now want Nasir Little when they passed on him in the draft?

Big P
11-10-2019, 07:14 PM

:lol you think the front office still makes the decisions. If Portland continues to struggle the real GM will trade away their “future” for right now.

They might make a trade if it keeps going bad for them, but it won't be for one of our shitty players.

Dverde
11-10-2019, 07:23 PM
They might make a trade if it keeps going bad for them, but it won't be for one of our shitty players.

LMA is a very good player, he just can’t carry this team anymore. Spurs actually made him an effective defender (at least last year). I’d prefer the Spurs not squeeze his last effective years dry for a five seed. I’d rather he help beat LeBron and Nephew. We are not beating LeBron or Nephew right now.

TD 21
11-10-2019, 07:34 PM
LMA is a very good player, he just can’t carry this team anymore. Spurs actually made him an effective defender (at least last year). I’d prefer the Spurs not squeeze his last effective years dry for a five seed. I’d rather he help beat LeBron and Nephew. We are not beating LeBron or Nephew right now.

:lol No, they didn't. He was a solid one before arriving but the opposite has been true the past 1+ season, as his rim protection has fallen off a cliff (they currently rank 30th, allowing opponents to shoot 70.2% at the rim). Obviously, Poeltl hasn't exactly been stout either and having 3 physical liabilities on the perimeter and 4 sieves total on it, has played a part, but Murray's return hasn't somewhat offset it.

Sure, there's probably some physical decline, but long armed, below the rim bigs generally don't fall off a cliff in this regard in their early 30s. It could be apathy.

Dverde
11-10-2019, 07:53 PM
:lol No, they didn't. He was a solid one before arriving but the opposite has been true the past 1+ season, as his rim protection has fallen off a cliff (they currently rank 30th, allowing opponents to shoot 70.2% at the rim). Obviously, Poeltl hasn't exactly been stout either and having 3 physical liabilities on the perimeter and 4 sieves total on it, has played a part, but Murray's return hasn't somewhat offset it.

Sure, there's probably some physical decline, but long armed, below the rim bigs generally don't fall off a cliff in this regard in their early 30s. It could be apathy.

he was effective especially considering they lost Murray, Green, Nephew and still made the playoffs. I think he stepped up while the team’s overall defense stepped down. I don’t remember anyone complaining about his D last year. He was playing with poor defenders like Mills, Marco, Forbes, DeRozan. You watched those games, his defense wasn’t why we lost games.

TD 21
11-10-2019, 08:07 PM
he was effective especially considering they lost Murray, Green, Nephew and still made the playoffs. I think he stepped up while the team’s overall defense stepped down. I don’t remember anyone complaining about his D last year. He was playing with poor defenders like Mills, Marco, Forbes, DeRozan. You watched those games, his defense wasn’t why we lost games.

the opposite has been true the past 1+ season, as his rim protection has fallen off a cliff

He, along with last season's 2nd unit, carried them offensively the past 2 seasons, but it's clearly taken a toll on his defense. It was down the list of reasons for their overall mediocirty, but it didn't help.

MoSpur02
11-11-2019, 03:03 PM
Trade LMA and Belinelli to Portland for Bazemore and Nurkic.