PDA

View Full Version : This Start Is Alarming

TD 21
11-09-2019, 07:42 PM
I know that either seems like duh to those who are realists or jumping the gun to those who are apologists, but consider this: Their strengths were supposed to be continuity and depth (and you'd think motivation, after watching how things worked out perfectly for Scumbag and horribly for them), accentuated by a back loaded schedule.

Yet, 9 games into said schedule, they haven't played well in one. They've eked out most of the ones they're supposed to either because they out talented the opposition or because circumstances favored them (Trail Blazers were 2nd night of back to back, on the road, banged up). Outside of that, they haven't so much as been legitimately competitive with an average or better team.

If they're this bad given all that, how will they look when these factors inevitably even out and injuries strike? When the dust settles, this might not be the poorly constructed, mediocre outfit initially thought . . . it might just be a bad one period.

spurraider21
11-09-2019, 07:43 PM
oh look RJ 24 jumping off the cliff. never seen that before

TD 21
11-09-2019, 07:45 PM

Oh look, an apologist/cult member polluting my thread with their brainwashed garbage. Never seen that before.

Mugen
11-09-2019, 07:46 PM
Outside of Dejounte and a few other guys, nobody seems to really give a fuck out there tbh.

Robz4000
That'd actually be good news tbh. If they end up with a high pick then not all is lost since about the only thing PATFO can still do at a high level is draft.

timtonymanu
OP isn’t wrong though. Pretty much anyone watching these first 9 games that isn’t a bonafide sniffer can see the same thing.

timtonymanu
11-09-2019, 07:47 PM
That'd actually be good news tbh. If they end up with a high pick then not all is lost since about the only thing PATFO can still do at a high level is draft.

*durr but the playoff streak, tanking doesn’t automatically help

RD2191
11-09-2019, 07:49 PM
This team will be lucky to make the playoffs, or not.

Dennis the Menace
11-09-2019, 07:50 PM

Agreed. But what good does it do when the coach who should’ve retired years ago refuses to play/develop the young talent?

UZER
11-09-2019, 07:50 PM
Outside of Dejounte and a few other guys, nobody seems to really give a fuck out there tbh.

Attitude reflects leadership.

BlackAndWhite
11-09-2019, 07:51 PM
To be honest, this iteration of the spurs is worse than that of last year. If the team from last year played some of the games played this year, opponents like the wizards and blazers would be buried. What makes it more frustrating is that the talent is still there, but it is not optimized at all leading to poorly constructed rosters and a weak team.

Dverde
11-09-2019, 07:52 PM
The #coffee gang has gone decaf.

spurs1990
11-09-2019, 07:54 PM
Bright side they didn’t prematurely extend Derozan. They can sell before the trade deadline or let him walk away.

RC_Drunkford
11-09-2019, 07:57 PM
OP is completely right

Genovaswitness
11-09-2019, 07:57 PM

“#2 was not a leader” :lmao

UZER
11-09-2019, 08:03 PM
Pop is reaching post Achilles Kobe levels of selfishness right now. There is no reason at all for him to be coaching this team anymore. He’s actually setting the franchise back as long as he is still here.

timtonymanu
11-09-2019, 08:09 PM
Been saying Pop was on his Kobe retirement tour since Nephew bailed. The team is stuck in mediocrity as long as he’s around and having no chance at a proper rebuild.

GB20
11-09-2019, 08:09 PM

Even if the spurs get the first overall pick of the draft, Pop won't be playing him in his first two years.

Robz4000
11-09-2019, 08:11 PM
Agreed. But what good does it do when the coach who should’ve retired years ago refuses to play/develop the young talent?

Even if the spurs get the first overall pick of the draft, Pop won't be playing him in his first two years.

I actually think this will be his last year after all tbh. He looks completely disengaged; I can't imagine him sticking around if it isn't fun for him anymore.

BackHome
11-09-2019, 08:16 PM
Can’t stay on top forever sooner or later we going to crash been telling people forever to enjoy David, Timmy, Manu, and Parker. The good times are over the dark years are upon us either enjoy being miserable or be a bandwagon fan and join the Raptors or Clippers or move to Canada ���� :spin

r0drig0lac
11-09-2019, 08:17 PM

GB20
11-09-2019, 08:18 PM
I actually think this will be his last year after all tbh. He looks completely disengaged; I can't imagine him sticking around if it isn't fun for him anymore.

Yeah!! Pop seems drained this year.

timtonymanu
11-09-2019, 08:20 PM
Can’t stay on top forever sooner or later we going to crash been telling people forever to enjoy David, Timmy, Manu, and Parker. The good times are over the dark years are upon us either enjoy being miserable or be a bandwagon fan and join the Raptors or Clippers or move to Canada ���� :spin

Pretty sure most on here wanted a rebuild when Nephew bailed and I would take that over disinterested vets and a coach barely being mediocre

Floyd Pacquiao
11-09-2019, 08:20 PM
Losing is the only way we'll get change

FkLA
11-09-2019, 08:24 PM
It's all on Pop, really. He's basically just running it back. Added Murray but its offset by White's minutes being cut + what turned out to be a Lyles for Bertans swap. Nothing else has changed from a year ago. Still as in love with his pets as he's always been.

timtonymanu
11-09-2019, 08:31 PM
Taking the Nuggets to 7 games I knew was gonna give this team an excuse to run back the same loser roster from last year. I know Morris bailed and would have helped a little, but the team needed more than him to improve their team and little changes were made

ducks
11-09-2019, 08:36 PM
Be a blessing if pop steps down

benefactor
11-09-2019, 08:48 PM
He waits with baited breath for this team to start sucking so he can carve his arms and sling blood all over ST tbh

SupremeGuy
11-09-2019, 09:07 PM
We should honestly tank. And tank HARD. Kawhi's faggot ass killed the team. Tank, tank, tank.

timvp
11-09-2019, 09:09 PM
Who are the optimists these edgelords are railing about? I must be missing those posts.

Disassemble the shower rods, IMO.

sasaint
11-09-2019, 09:17 PM
The #coffee gang has gone decaf.

:tu :rollin

sasaint
11-09-2019, 09:26 PM

I believe Pop thinks it is fun to get paid big bucks to sit on the bench and put bizarre player combinations on the floor just because he feels like it, knowing there is not anything or anybody to hold him accountable. In his Spurs universe he is god. What’s not fun?

sasaint
11-09-2019, 09:28 PM

Does leadership = Pop? Or our pseudo-stars? Or both?

DPG21920
11-09-2019, 09:38 PM
No one on here really seems optimistic imo. Everyone seems pretty down on the team already.

Thomas82
11-09-2019, 11:23 PM
I know that either seems like duh to those who are realists or jumping the gun to those who are apologists, but consider this: Their strengths were supposed to be continuity and depth (and you'd think motivation, after watching how things worked out perfectly for Scumbag and horribly for them), accentuated by a back loaded schedule.

Yet, 9 games into said schedule, they haven't played well in one. They've eked out most of the ones they're supposed to either because they out talented the opposition or because circumstances favored them (Trail Blazers were 2nd night of back to back, on the road, banged up). Outside of that, they haven't so much as been legitimately competitive with an average or better team.

If they're this bad given all that, how will they look when these factors inevitably even out and injuries strike? When the dust settles, this might not be the poorly constructed, mediocre outfit initially thought . . . it might just be a bad one period.

I can't find a lie in this post. Well said!!

itzsoweezee
11-09-2019, 11:27 PM
It's sad to see pop go out like this, but this outcome was completely predictable. It seems the front office is just full of a bunch of yes men. His own hubris is going to end maybe the most successful run in sports history.

Ultimately, the team will be better for this. The best case scenario is that the competition stomps out any glimmer of faith in these has-been vets and maybe the young guys can get some run in the second half of the season. Knowing how stubborn pop is, I doubt that happens, but it's my hope.

Play Boban
11-09-2019, 11:47 PM

This is a better start than last year tbqh.

Longlonglongtimelurk
11-10-2019, 12:22 AM
Pop is reaching post Achilles Kobe levels of selfishness right now. There is no reason at all for him to be coaching this team anymore. He’s actually setting the franchise back as long as he is still here.
There’s a lot of hyperbolic statements that go on here when we’re not winning, but once the dust settles of a loss this still rings true. Pop isn’t coaching for a title anymore, his poor rotations either out of stubbornness or he just doesn’t quite care enough anymore and would rather teach a lesson than get a win.
imagine it from a players point of view- Pops demeanour would make it near impossible to question his coaching, and when things aren’t working out it can only lead to frustration amongst the squad.
pop is and always be a legend of the Spurs and basketball in general, but it’s time to give someone else with some new ideas and fire in the belly a go.

Prose
11-10-2019, 12:41 AM
Yeah!! Pop seems drained this year.

he did just lose his wife so....

Frenchfred
11-10-2019, 03:08 AM
It's all on Pop, really. He's basically just running it back. Added Murray but its offset by White's minutes being cut + what turned out to be a Lyles for Bertans swap. Nothing else has changed from a year ago. Still as in love with his pets as he's always been.

White is injured so why play him more? The loss of Bertans is due to Morris doing his shit nothing to do with Pop. If Morris was on the team, it would be a different team

ShutUp SayItAgain!
11-10-2019, 03:37 AM

GreekSpursfan
11-10-2019, 03:51 AM
People say its just Murray that was inserted into the starting line up but its the fucking pg of the team. Its a big addition and the whole thing needs time again. I'm afraid this season is an evaluation season for Murray to see if he's the pg of the future or not. I said from the beggining when we started 3-0 that we have a big chance to miss the playoffs. The two key positions are pg and center in our case Murray and LMA(i have to put LMA at the center position even though he's not a center) and both of them are struggling. If this continues season is over.

NK123
11-10-2019, 05:12 AM
I think the problem is that the system doesn’t look like it it cares enough. Our team lacks gut and iron will.

tbdog
11-10-2019, 06:10 AM
Bright side they didn’t prematurely extend Derozan. They can sell before the trade deadline or let him walk away.

Tbh, having DD opt in would be the best option. DD, LMA, Gay, and Mills all expire. I wouldn't be surprised Spurs take on a 2 year contract for Beli come deadline.

Raven
11-10-2019, 06:45 AM
current spurs are quite sickening to watch tbh. We need to go back to investing in D.

ElNono
11-10-2019, 07:26 AM
Team leader Carmelo Aldrige... enough said...

sananspursfan21
11-10-2019, 08:35 AM
I still don’t think Pop retiring is the answer because we don’t know what goofball goes in after him to coach, but at this point I kinda just wanna see what happens with it...

cd021
11-10-2019, 09:22 AM

I'd holla at Detroit or Orlando tbh.

Chomag
11-10-2019, 09:41 AM
Standing pat is this FO's specialty, but of course it worked when they had the goat Timmy and the big 3 to mask their ineptitude. Without them this FO is finally getting exposed as what the truly are and nothing more. I know this organization isn't the worst but they aren't as great as people say they are.

I'm at the point that I don't even care what the Spurs do as long as its something different and new.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
11-10-2019, 11:41 AM
Pop the Coach plays the long game so I’m going to give him a benefit of the doubt. But settling for the DeMar DeRozan trade is what set this team up for failure. Until he is off the team, Demar that is, the team is going to squander. Nothing against him personally, but I’m just not a fan of his brand of basketball.

spurs50_
11-10-2019, 11:44 AM
Get a good draft pick so he can start playing once Becky takes over.

Prime BEEF
11-10-2019, 01:42 PM
I'm at the point that I don't even care what the Spurs do as long as its something different and new.

agree. I’d prefer some players that are tough, energetic, and attack the basket. Basically the opposite of what we have now

Mugen
11-10-2019, 01:58 PM
Team would be pretty fun if Lonnie was integrated into the lineup and Dejounte/White were getting a lot of minutes together. His integration should have started last season so he'd be ready right when this season started. (I seem to remember the Sniffers being very excited that Lonnie was never even given a shot last year, and are happy he hasn't been good this year).

DWhite/Lonnie/Dejounte on the wings would have been pretty damn fun (even with losers like DD and LMA). Would have had plenty of mistakes but they'd be fun and an interesting trio to build around going forward.

But of course, it's Pop. So any athleticism on the roster is severely held back and losers like Forbes and Beli are featured heavily on offense. DWhite and Dejounte have played less than a few minutes together all season. Lonnie won't ever reach anything close to his potential unless it's with another organization...

I still feel good pretty good about the collection of the young guys on the roster. Unfortunately, that group will never get their chance to be great until the old man and his ego are nowhere near this organization anymore.

CGD
11-10-2019, 04:36 PM
Not really, we’re a slightly above .500 team.

And frankly, im for a slow start to accelerate some of the roster turnover that needs to happen.

TimmyBuckets
11-10-2019, 10:44 PM
Ya agreed OP, this team is utter trash. This doesn't even look like an 8 seed tbh.

Morris on this squad would've brought much needed grit and keeping Bertans would've increased 3pt%. Instead we got Jae Crowder/Montrez Harrel superlite and Trey Piles of Shit. This was clearly not the roster Spurs wanted, but Morris fucked us.

Also, whats realist vs apologist? Sorry. If someone can explain

Arcadian
11-10-2019, 10:47 PM
Heh....yeah

DJR210
11-11-2019, 11:56 AM
Be a blessing if pop steps down

I can't believe it's come to this.. but I can't say I disagree anymore. Shit sucks.