PDA

View Full Version : LOWE SUMS UP SPURS IN ONE PHRASE

Prose
11-10-2019, 01:05 AM
@ 49:05 mark from podcast from 3 days ago
https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cDovL2VzcG4uZ28uY29tL2VzcG5yYWRpby9mZWVk cy9yc3MvcG9kY2FzdC54bWw_aWQ9MTA1Mjg1NTM&episode=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5lc3BuLmNvbS9lc3BucmFkaW8vcG 9kY2FzdD9pZD0yODAyOTM5NA&hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwji4MWd-97lAhXIMd8KHbW5ACgQieUEegQIAxAE&ep=6&at=1573365509475

"they are the team on offense that they try to make every other team while on defense"

spurs defense is centered around not giving up any 3s or layups in favor of giving up mid range shots and they have constructed their team and play in way where they make no 3s or layups....fml. It is not surprising to see us losing by 30 when literally were bust our ass the entire 24 just to end up with a weak ass low efficiency fade away mid range shot because the paint is clogged up. Meanwhile every other team in the NBA basically has a guy do a single cross over and get to the rim because everybody is spaced out.

TRADE DEMAR

Big P
11-10-2019, 01:09 AM
Getting rid of pop would be a better move than trading DD...nobody is going to give us anything for him...he hasn't been a max player for 3 years...pops "system" is holding us back
more than anything.

Prose
11-10-2019, 01:19 AM
I agree I am frustrated with the construction of the team and rotations but honestly....pop is more proven than demar, he hasn't proven shit other than trading him away is good for you team :spin

Prose
11-10-2019, 01:22 AM
at this rate we will trade Murry for Lowry so we can assembly the raptors retirement tour

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-10-2019, 02:11 AM
It’s not wrong but strangely the offense isn’t the problem, they’re OK - 7th in offensive rating, albeit not very good EFG% due to terrible three point shooting which should improve. The defense on the other hand is disastrous.

Silver lining is they have a lot of room for improvement and a somewhat clear path to actually doing it as the season goes.

alpha_HaZE
11-10-2019, 03:11 AM
@ 49:05 mark from podcast from 3 days ago
https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cDovL2VzcG4uZ28uY29tL2VzcG5yYWRpby9mZWVk cy9yc3MvcG9kY2FzdC54bWw_aWQ9MTA1Mjg1NTM&episode=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5lc3BuLmNvbS9lc3BucmFkaW8vcG 9kY2FzdD9pZD0yODAyOTM5NA&hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwji4MWd-97lAhXIMd8KHbW5ACgQieUEegQIAxAE&ep=6&at=1573365509475

"they are the team on offense that they try to make every other team while on defense"

spurs defense is centered around not giving up any 3s or layups in favor of giving up mid range shots and they have constructed their team and play in way where they make no 3s or layups....fml. It is not surprising to see us losing by 30 when literally were bust our ass the entire 24 just to end up with a weak ass low efficiency fade away mid range shot because the paint is clogged up. Meanwhile every other team in the NBA basically has a guy do a single cross over and get to the rim because everybody is spaced out.

TRADE DEMAR

Lowe has a point but you are reaching out. Another way to re-state what Lowe meant is to say that the Spurs are good at mid range shots and make other teams play their game! But at the end of the day, Pop plays at the strengths of his players.

Prose
11-10-2019, 11:29 AM
Lowe has a point but you are reaching out. Another way to re-state what Lowe meant is to say that the Spurs are good at mid range shots and make other teams play their game! But at the end of the day, Pop plays at the strengths of his players.

I agree pop plays to his players strength which is why I think pop is. A better coach than the Pringle man mike dantoni so my point is I just don’t get why we built a team in this fashion. When you shoot only 2s and everybody else is shooting 3s you have to be almost perfect just to win. Such a small room for error. It’s simple math. If we shout 50% from the field shooting only 2 point shots for example off of 50 shots a game that gives us 50 points. However if the other team shoots 35% from the field shooting only 3 point shots off of 50 shots a game that gives them 52 points.

CGD
11-10-2019, 11:57 AM
I agree with them that DET seems to be the best realistic trade partner for a DDR trade. I really struggle to see the interest elsewhere.

UZER
11-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Derozen is the new Melo.

CGD
11-10-2019, 12:01 PM
Derozen is the new Melo.

Yup, and if a team was really desperate for a volume midrange shooter, they could literally just sign Melo.

NASpurs
11-10-2019, 12:12 PM
Derozen is the new Melo.

Funny because at least offensively, I always felt like Aldridge was a power forward Melo. Now we have two Melos.

dbestpro
11-10-2019, 12:18 PM
Right now everything that is wrong with the Spurs starts with Pop. His rotations are suspect and his ability to get the best out of his players has had the opposite effect. The players are tuning Pop out cause he continues to try to make players improve on their weaknesses rather than putting them in position to succeed based off their strengths. In fact, Pop use to preach doing just that. He has regressed more than any other Spur personnel member.

K...
11-10-2019, 12:21 PM
Right now everything that is wrong with the Spurs starts with Pop. His rotations are suspect and his ability to get the best out of his players has had the opposite effect. The players are tuning Pop out cause he continues to try to make players improve on their weaknesses rather than putting them in position to succeed based off their strengths. In fact, Pop use to preach doing just that. He has regressed more than any other Spur personnel member.

can yougive some examples other than marco getting minutes? Who has the skills we aren't using?

Prose
11-10-2019, 12:34 PM
I agree with them that DET seems to be the best realistic trade partner for a DDR trade. I really struggle to see the interest elsewhere.

Prose
11-10-2019, 12:36 PM
The players are tuning Pop out cause he continues to try to make players improve on their weaknesses rather than putting them in position to succeed based off their strengths.

this is actually the opposite of what is happening, in the podcast they talk about how after what happened with LMA he said "we are not trying to change you"

Prose
11-10-2019, 12:39 PM
can yougive some examples other than marco getting minutes? Who has the skills we aren't using?

i would like to see more of white, walker, and metu, hell wouldnt even mind seeing samnic (garbage time) or johnson with less minutes from Demar, marco, and jakob

tbdog
11-10-2019, 12:41 PM
Our offense isn't the problem. Same as last year, it's our D.

Prose
11-10-2019, 12:44 PM
Our offense isn't the problem. Same as last year, it's our D.

this literally is a microcosm of Demars skill set

ZeusWillJudge
11-10-2019, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the article, and pulling that phrase as a summary. Sadly, it's pretty accurate.

Bballplaya
11-10-2019, 01:35 PM
Murray is autrociuous to watch offensively. No shot, no skill set, can’t pass off the dribble; doesn’t see plays happen before they happen.... all the skills a good team needs from a pg. I would play 3 feet off of him and just wait for him to dribble-penetrate as a defensive player.

derozan has a shot, great footwork and can pass off the dribble isn’t nearly a good defender as Murray.

But I keep them both, it’s not easy to get and keep quality players on the NBA. At least we’re a top 10 team.
If you blindly thinking spurs were a better team than the Celtics. That’s on you.

They shot well yesterday. Happens every now And then. Get over it and move on.

Prime BEEF
11-10-2019, 02:18 PM

pop won’t do it but...
derozan/Mills for griffin/kennard

CGD
11-10-2019, 02:23 PM
pop won’t do it but...

Nah, DET needs to put butts in seats which is the whole point of them making the trade for Griffin. They’d want to pair Griff and DDR.

If it’s straight up (no third team), best would probably package built around Seku+ DET pick where Spurs would have to also take back expiring money. Less than ideal, but probably best we’d can hope for honestly.

r0drig0lac
11-10-2019, 02:43 PM
pop won’t do it but...

Pop? https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif right

GAustex
11-10-2019, 02:48 PM
pop won’t do it but...
Sign me up for this one. In a heartbeat

SpursDynasty85
11-10-2019, 02:54 PM
I agree pop plays to his players strength which is why I think pop is. A better coach than the Pringle man mike dantoni so my point is I just don’t get why we built a team in this fashion. When you shoot only 2s and everybody else is shooting 3s you have to be almost perfect just to win. Such a small room for error. It’s simple math. If we shout 50% from the field shooting only 2 point shots for example off of 50 shots a game that gives us 50 points. However if the other team shoots 35% from the field shooting only 3 point shots off of 50 shots a game that gives them 52 points.

Small marlet teams dont have a lot of say when their draft picks are low (historically great franchise) and free agents are disinterested. The fact we havent missed the playoffs in like 22 years has worn ita welcome possibly. If the ship isnt right after about 30 games I assume trades and younger players will happen.

dbestpro
11-10-2019, 02:59 PM
this is actually the opposite of what is happening, in the podcast they talk about how after what happened with LMA he said "we are not trying to change you"

Then why are Patty and Belli in the game when defense is the issue. Pop lets his stars play their game but has always tried to make the role players play a different game. look at how he handled Bertans, Mason, Dedmon, the list goes on.

sasaint
11-10-2019, 03:27 PM
Funny because at least offensively, I always felt like Aldridge was a power forward Melo. Now we have two Melos.

The sad truth.

sasaint
11-10-2019, 03:32 PM

I don’t know if players are tuning him out or not, but the rest of your comments are on point. Pop is not putting players in a position for them to flourish and for the team to maximize their individual talents.

sasaint
11-10-2019, 03:38 PM
Murray is autrociuous to watch offensively. No shot, no skill set, can’t pass off the dribble; doesn’t see plays happen before they happen.... all the skills a good team needs from a pg. I would play 3 feet off of him and just wait for him to dribble-penetrate as a defensive player.

derozan has a shot, great footwork and can pass off the dribble isn’t nearly a good defender as Murray.

But I keep them both, it’s not easy to get and keep quality players on the NBA. At least we’re a top 10 team.
If you blindly thinking spurs were a better team than the Celtics. That’s on you.

We are definitely not a top ten team. May not even be a top 8 team in the West.

Uriel
11-10-2019, 04:14 PM
That's because modern NBA defenses are geared towards preventing layups and 3-pt shots. So rather than forcing those up at a high volume, they just take what the defense gives them.

Down Under
11-10-2019, 07:34 PM
I don't know why LMA doesn't just shoot 3's. He's going to get more points (even at 30%) per shot than any % he shoots in the mid-range even & at least space the floor.

Prose
11-11-2019, 12:37 AM

DDR lack floor spacing makes it worse for curry. Need to get rid of DDR. Murry is raw and has a higher ceiling than DDR

Prose
11-11-2019, 12:40 AM
That's because modern NBA defenses are geared towards preventing layups and 3-pt shots. So rather than forcing those up at a high volume, they just take what the defense gives them.

there is a reason NBA defenses allow this type of shot...it is not efficient. Its like getting lured into a trap

Prose
11-11-2019, 12:40 AM
I don't know why LMA doesn't just shoot 3's. He's going to get more points (even at 30%) per shot than any % he shoots in the mid-range even & at least space the floor.

Prose
11-11-2019, 12:41 AM

Thanks for the article, and pulling that phrase as a summary. Sadly, it's pretty accurate.

your welcome bro! thanks for the thanks

Prose
11-11-2019, 12:42 AM
Small marlet teams dont have a lot of say when their draft picks are low (historically great franchise) and free agents are disinterested. The fact we havent missed the playoffs in like 22 years has worn ita welcome possibly. If the ship isnt right after about 30 games I assume trades and younger players will happen.

I wish this would happen but i doubt it

John B
11-11-2019, 11:57 AM
Spurs can score but disastrous on defense. Let’s see how Pop playout Murray/White without minute restriction. I’m hoping he abandon the Forbes/Mills/Beli combo which is killing us. Beli cannot even shoot crap and does not play defense. I would try to stagger Murray/White/Demar to play PG/Combo and bring in Carroll more at SF, to avoid any Forbes/Mills/Beli combo. Pop has to re-commit on Defense. Now there is also Aldridge posting and not relying so much on perimeter shots to create open shots. I think if Spurs is disciplined to play 48 minutes of defense, in and out basketball, I seriously think they can hang with anyone.