PDA

View Full Version : Is Popovich past his prime?

Uriel
11-11-2019, 10:36 PM
I know it's customary for us here at SpursTalk to lambast Pop, but this might finally be the year where he's finally lost it.

This season thus far might be his worst coaching performance since the year he fired Bob Hill.

ElNono
11-11-2019, 10:36 PM
Welcome to 2015

Genovaswitness
11-11-2019, 10:38 PM
Welcome to 2015

this tbh

Dancelot
11-11-2019, 10:38 PM
Idk, I think he’s pretty close to entering his prime at his ripe age of 70. I’ll bet he’s gonna be shocking some people in the coming seasons.

Darius Bieber
11-11-2019, 10:41 PM
Never had a prime. Was always bailed out by Robinson, Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Kawhi. Now, with an average roster he does poorly. Not a good coach.

timtonymanu
11-11-2019, 10:41 PM
He’s been done since 2014. :lol it was clear Tim and Kawhi were carrying him all these years. You don’t need good coaches to win titles anymore. Look at the head coaches since 2016 who have won titles.

daslicer
11-11-2019, 10:43 PM
He’s been done since 2014. :lol it was clear Tim and Kawhi were carrying him all these years. You don’t need good coaches to win titles anymore. Look at the head coaches since 2016 who have won titles.

I think that was always the case. Phil Jackson,Riley would be a bunch of nobodies if they didn't have MJ,Magic,Jabbar,Shaq, etc.

RD2191
11-11-2019, 10:44 PM
:lol

Spurs da champs
11-11-2019, 10:47 PM
He should've retired with Tim.

MultiTroll
11-11-2019, 10:47 PM
I know it's customary for us here at SpursTalk to lambast Pop, but this might finally be the year where he's finally lost it.

This season thus far might be his worst coaching performance since the year he fired Bob Hill.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/14/Ralph_Wiggum.png/220px-Ralph_Wiggum.png

C-Dub
11-11-2019, 11:02 PM
No, not at all. JUST NOT OVER HIMSELF.

sasaint
11-12-2019, 12:28 AM

Huh? I thought he traded Bob Hill for Number 2. Great year.

alpha_HaZE
11-12-2019, 12:48 AM
A bunch of clowns in this thread, look LA's 9 seasons with Portland and 5 seasons with the Spurs, he scores more points, his FG% is up, his eFG% is up he blocks more shots, he assists more, he fouls less. Sure Pop had nothing to do with it. Same is true for DeMar, and other players, Pop is one of the best and we are lucky to have him as a coach.

tbdog
11-12-2019, 01:13 AM
He is, but his coaching this season is head scratching. Rotation choices, match up choices. And no challenges made.

Budkin
11-12-2019, 02:18 AM
I’ll always appreciate Pop, but it’s time he let someone else take the reins.

ElNono
11-12-2019, 03:32 AM
In any other team, he'll either be fired by now, or being ordered to tank the season... to be replaced once that team rebuilds.

And this is what's frustrating about Pop and thus the situation the Spurs are in. His job is never on the line, so he can alienate players all he wants, while at the same time he's too proud to tank for a high pick.

tbdog
11-12-2019, 03:39 AM
Lol, what. Under no circumstances would he be fired by any other team except the Kings because they are retarded.

tbdog
11-12-2019, 05:21 AM
In any other team, he'll either be fired by now, or being ordered to tank the season... to be replaced once that team rebuilds.

And this is what's frustrating about Pop and thus the situation the Spurs are in. His job is never on the line, so he can alienate players all he wants, while at the same time he's too proud to tank for a high pick.

What competent franchise would have fired Pop?

dbreiden83080
11-12-2019, 05:50 AM
Coaches need players.. Good ones. I read it somewhere..

dbreiden83080
11-12-2019, 05:51 AM
I’ll always appreciate Pop, but it’s time he let someone else take the reins.

I hope you don't think that will turn it around.. LA is washed up and Murray has done nothing..

r0drig0lac
11-12-2019, 07:28 AM
Welcome to 2015

I agree, this is the responsibility of our GM / president of operations.

sananspursfan21
11-12-2019, 07:35 AM
It’s a compound of problems this season. The Spurs virtually brought back the same team and they act like they’ve never played together before. Miscues, turnovers, horrible shooting. And the defense according to the eye test is WORSE than last season, even with Murray. Aldridge looks disinterested. Demar looks disinterested for the most part, until he gets a foul called on him. I mean, at the end of the day, Pop takes a lot of the brunt as a coach should, but let’s take a holistic approach to this suckage. Let’s not act like a new coach is gonna turn this team into a 50 win contender.

UZER
11-12-2019, 07:38 AM
Watching Pop talk to Tony last night, he looked like a frail, old man. Sheesh.

sananspursfan21
11-12-2019, 07:47 AM

Ha! True. I don’t mind “zigging while the rest of the league zags” but this roster isn’t really even in the ballpark. It sorta worked last year because I guess Demar was motivated to show the Raptors what’s up and Aldridge kinda had a newfound motivation. It’s hard to completely blame Pop alone when you’ve got a roster with not too many options. Although, this would now be a perfect season to give that future core some burn. Might as well at this point.

r0drig0lac
11-12-2019, 07:52 AM
Ha! True. I don’t mind “zigging while the rest of the league zags” but this roster isn’t really even in the ballpark. It sorta worked last year because I guess Demar was motivated to show the Raptors what’s up and Aldridge kinda had a newfound motivation. It’s hard to completely blame Pop alone when you’ve got a roster with not too many options. Although, this would now be a perfect season to give that future core some burn. Might as well at this point.

interesting

sananspursfan21
11-12-2019, 08:09 AM
interesting

Ok

dbestpro
11-12-2019, 08:18 AM
This is not 2015. Something is mentally wrong with Pop. He soon will be the oldest coach in NBA history. It is time to move on as he is no longer able to keep up with the game. Same thing happened this summer.

ElNono
11-12-2019, 04:41 PM
What competent franchise would have fired Pop?

Coaches are fired all the time, tbh. I’m not talking this particular season, but the past 4 have been brutal.

Dverde
11-12-2019, 05:17 PM
https://i.imgur.com/IUBdIiM_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Big P
11-12-2019, 05:57 PM

It's easy to blame him, he has just as much or more say than anyone else on how the roster is constructed...is it really that hard for the pop apologist to see that he has lost it as far as coaching is concerned? Just like great players lose their abilities, so do coaches, whether it is because he is disinterested or his system and shtick are played out or the players have tuned him out, whatever the reason is, his time has come and gone and the longer he keeps this shit up, the harder it's going to be to get this franchise back on track...and getting into the playoffs for a one and done really hurts the team as far as getting NBA ready rookies...I would have rather seen us miss the playoffs and get a lottery pick the past couple of years instead of getting a late first rounder just so he can keep his playoff streak alive..pop is being selfish and it's hurting the team, bottom line.

Prose
11-12-2019, 06:14 PM
Pop said it himself. “Coaching [effect on winning in the NBA] is overrated”. We just have an unbalanced roster ala NY knicks.

SpaceCoast Spursfan
11-12-2019, 08:12 PM
Of course Pop is past his prime, and that is no knock on Pop. While coaching doesn't take the physical toll on your body playing does, it is still physically & emotionally draining. There is no way Pop can put in the same amount of time & intensity he did 10 years ago. While wisdom/experience can offset some of this, it is not the same. Add to that, that anyone who has had success doing something a certain way is reluctant to change methods/approach. It is easy to try new/different things when you are younger or when what you are doing isn't yielding good results. It's a lot tougher to abandon something that once brought great success but is now not yielding as good of results. Pop is a great coach, and great coaches are humans, and all of us eventually decline in our ability to perform in whatever our chosen profession.

DMC
11-12-2019, 11:42 PM
Idk, I think he’s pretty close to entering his prime at his ripe age of 70. I’ll bet he’s gonna be shocking some people in the coming seasons.

As he ventures out of his home buck ass naked trying to catch the bus to St Louis?

DMC
11-12-2019, 11:43 PM
This is not 2015. Something is mentally wrong with Pop. He soon will be the oldest coach in NBA history. It is time to move on as he is no longer able to keep up with the game. Same thing happened this summer.

His wife died. That will fuck with you.

DaBears
11-13-2019, 12:02 PM
POP is like fine wine, gets better with age... Pop doesnt require a minute restriction as he is not on the court playing.. You want to blame someone Blame the players for not putting there best efforts or making adjustments.

Trill Clinton
11-13-2019, 12:06 PM
It seems like RC has gotten off without ANY blame ever since he moved on. He was in charge of personnel moves, right? One can argue this roster is his creation and Pop is working with what he was given.