PDA

View Full Version : What will the spurs future look like?

spurspl
11-12-2019, 01:29 PM
What do u guys think about spurss plans for near future? Do PATFO have any plans? Will they still be doing everything to be in a PO to keep pops streak alive? Because imo thats their plan. They didnt make any good moves that would strenghen team this season or give a chance to have a better future. Still the same average old players and only one promising young guy who could become a solid player but nothing more. And if they wanna make him a star and want to build around him a team why the hell they did not bring a young propspects or tank past season to get better picks? Now we are in a shitty position: no talents, no all star players, no valuable assets, no draft picks (except of ours), no big names next Free Agency etc.

playblair
11-12-2019, 01:30 PM
bleak if the rumor of spurs re signing derozan is true...........spurs wont be in san antonio long if we keep losing.........austin is looking mighty attractive

ginobilized
11-12-2019, 01:39 PM
Our future is quite possibly looking like Sacramento of the past decade

Yogatti
11-12-2019, 01:40 PM
https://cdn.britannica.com/41/41341-050-1C78C21D/Seattle-background-Mount-Rainier.jpg

BD24
11-12-2019, 01:45 PM
Dumb asses still pushing the tired spurs relocation narrative :lol

K...
11-12-2019, 01:49 PM

Why not Utah? That's basically the team that they referenced in 1997 as the ideal. Sacramento is known for having a stupid owner who wanted that 4 on 5 stuff. They're getting better. Utah like San Antonio isn't a destination City for athletes so they have to compete with coaching and drafting, which amazingly are San Antonios current strengths.

Utah had a kawhi level embarrassment that led to Sloan retiring. They then bottomed out and rebuilt. LMA can be our Derrick favors and DeroZan the kirelinko.

playblair
11-12-2019, 01:52 PM
Why not Utah? That's basically the team that they referenced in 1997 as the ideal. Sacramento is known for having a stupid owner who wanted that 4 on 5 stuff. They're getting better. Utah like San Antonio isn't a destination City for athletes so they have to compete with coaching and drafting, which amazingly are San Antonios current strengths.

Utah had a kawhi level embarrassment that led to Sloan retiring. They then bottomed out and rebuilt. LMA can be our Derrick favors and DeroZan the kirelinko.

in case u havent noticed gm brian wright is shite..........look at the ish that he has screwed up in his short time here.............

r0drig0lac
11-12-2019, 02:07 PM

nah....
definitely Sacramento

Maddog
11-12-2019, 02:22 PM
Hard to know. I think short term is going to rocky
I feel they've miscalculated a bit with regards to how much internal improvement there would be. From a pure statistical standpoint, the team is probably better than one would think considering the highest draft pick in 22 years was 18th

spurspl
11-12-2019, 02:37 PM

i wont be surprised

we have stupid patfo that ruin spurss future.
i dont think that spurs are so great at drafting. Who did we get? only muray and maybe loonie but they are not gonna be a superstar or game changers. Example of great drafting could be toronto (siakam, og anunoby), miami (herro, nunn), lal (kuz, hart, ingram) and im not even saying about those who had a top picks.
Coaching is great but now they dont have any perspective players that they can develop.

spurspl
11-12-2019, 02:42 PM
I feel they've miscalculated a bit with regards to how much internal improvement there would be. From a pure statistical standpoint, the team is probably better than one would think considering the highest draft pick in 22 years was 18th

yea but thats all thanks to coaching. Imagine where we could be now if we tank 2-3 seasons and get f.e doncic and markannen instead of loonie and white.

murray/doncic/ddr/markannen/aldridge wasnt this lineup worth sacrifing 2-3 yrs not being in PO which ended 1st or 2nd round exit?

exstatic
11-12-2019, 03:15 PM
I see DeRozan out the door this summer. Based on Lowry's actions, a HUGE one year contract, it almost looks like they want to team up somewhere, and it won't be here. I see LMA out the door, NLT 2021. Once those events happen, SA can get back to playing TBG type bball.

I'm massively encouraged by Austin. Keldon looks like a keeper, as does Samanic.

exstatic
11-12-2019, 03:16 PM

I think there's still improvement to be had once our two young guards are off of their minutes restrictions.

baseline bum
11-12-2019, 03:19 PM
Probably the Austin Spurs in ten years since I don't see San Antonio building them a new arena.

RD2191
11-12-2019, 03:20 PM
https://cdn.britannica.com/41/41341-050-1C78C21D/Seattle-background-Mount-Rainier.jpg

Would be dope tbh

spurspl
11-12-2019, 03:26 PM
I see DeRozan out the door this summer. Based on Lowry's actions, a HUGE one year contract, it almost looks like they want to team up somewhere, and it won't be here. I see LMA out the door, NLT 2021. Once those events happen, SA can get back to playing TBG type bball.

I'm massively encouraged by Austin. Keldon looks like a keeper, as does Samanic.

i hope ur right with ddr and lma and hope that we can get some value trading them.
i agree that our future heavily depends on our young players development. I would add that it would be great to tank and at least try to get top picks and draft forward (like wiseman) or trade this pick for another forward. We need big man and someone this team can rely on long term, someone that with murray can be a core and build around them with like u said samanic, keldon, loonie + some veterans that could teach them.

Degoat
11-12-2019, 03:36 PM
Spurs are twelfth in attendance this season, and I think we were about the same last season too that’s pretty good

Ditty
11-12-2019, 03:49 PM
Being a Redskins fan I know all about a franchise being one of the most proud in the 80’s winning Super Bowls to becoming the joke of the NFL for about two decades now . It starts at the top and as cheap the Holts have been in the past they are pretty damn good owners and know how to run a franchise unlike Dan Snyder with the Redskins. Keeping the right people and not bringing in people that have consistently failed at high level positions.The Kings continued to fail because the Maloof brothers were horrible owners. Yeah a generational talent like Lebron James may come around to save a horrible franchise to win one championship because they were lucky in 2016. Point is Spurs will be fine as and remain in San Antonio as long as the Holt’s don’t sell unless Austin and San Antonio are the next DFW, and Austin promises to build them a stadium in like 30 years with some type of transportation to get you to both places within minutes. They would probably remain the San Antonio Spurs because of the brand. They would lose a huge amount of the fan base if they rebranded to the Austin Spurs. We already kind of saw it when all the uneducated idiots on Facebook flipped out when the Austin Toros changed the name to the Austin Spurs. I get it right now we suck but a bad roster is much more easy to fix than a bad culture.

playblair
11-12-2019, 03:58 PM
Probably the Austin Spurs in ten years since I don't see San Antonio building them a new arena.

austin is definitely the answer to every spurs problem.........with the move spurs go from last tier in free agent destinations to top tier...........big name free agents will flock to austin it will compete with la/ny/miami

Degoat
11-12-2019, 04:08 PM
The spurs did fck up where they built the AT&T Center lol that side of SA sucks

TimDunkem
11-12-2019, 04:09 PM

It's like they asked themselves where the shittiest part of SA was then decided to put it there.

exstatic
11-12-2019, 04:18 PM
It's like they asked themselves where the shittiest part of SA was then decided to put it there.

It's like there were two choices, downtown with a local sales tax, or East side with a hotel/rent car tax. The former was never going to fly. People never vote to tax themselves. Visitors were always going to pay for the arena. If they HAD tried the first option, they'd already be in Seattle.

baseline bum
11-12-2019, 04:19 PM

The original plan was downtown next to the Alamodome, but the city of San Antonio was trying to bundle the vote for a new arena in with an expensive expansion to the convention center and the Spurs were scared that would make the vote fail after how badly the arena vote a year before went down in flames. Since the county owned the land at Freeman Colosseum, they swooped in to have a stadium built there on county taxes from hotels and rental cars.

baseline bum
11-12-2019, 04:23 PM
It's like there were two choices, downtown with a local sales tax, or East side with a hotel/rent car tax. The former was never going to fly. People never vote to tax themselves. Visitors were always going to pay for the arena. If they HAD tried the first option, they'd already be in Seattle.

I think it would have passed if the convention center expansion wasn't included with it, with how crazy the city was over getting their first title. Now without the 99 title they would have been in New Orleans with either the city or county proposal.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
11-12-2019, 04:42 PM

A refreshing take. In short supply around here.

Frenchfred
11-12-2019, 04:56 PM
yea but thats all thanks to coaching. Imagine where we could be now if we tank 2-3 seasons and get f.e doncic and markannen instead of loonie and white.

murray/doncic/ddr/markannen/aldridge wasnt this lineup worth sacrifing 2-3 yrs not being in PO which ended 1st or 2nd round exit?

You assume that the Spurs would have got the first draft pick. Many teams tank, end up with high picks and don’t go anywhere

spurspl
11-12-2019, 05:17 PM
You assume that the Spurs would have got the first draft pick. Many teams tank, end up with high picks and don’t go anywhere

bc these teams cant draft or cant develop those players. Ofc u can always pick a bust but i think that spurs management are smart enough to reduce that risk. We had two top 1picks and both were a great choices(david and timmy).

baseline bum
11-12-2019, 05:33 PM
Being a Redskins fan I know all about a franchise being one of the most proud in the 80’s winning Super Bowls to becoming the joke of the NFL for about two decades now . It starts at the top and as cheap the Holts have been in the past they are pretty damn good owners and know how to run a franchise unlike Dan Snyder with the Redskins.

I don't think it's fair to call the Holts cheap in the past. They paid Parker when Pop asked. They went out and paid Richard Jefferson when it looked like he was the missing piece to get them back in the title hunt. They OK'ed maxing Leonard out back when the jury was out on him. The only time I can remember them not wanting to pay a guy was Scola. I can't clown them for one mistake given how great the family has been otherwise. As a Spurs fan I'm pretty grateful for the Holts just like I was for Angelo Drossos back when he was willing to pay to add guys like Artis Gilmore and Mike Mitchell to improve the team.

timvp
11-12-2019, 05:35 PM
Eh, I used to joke about the Spurs relocating but it's not happening any time soon. There's now enough money in town to keep them around. The only thing that could change that is if the NFL goes to San Antonio and the Spurs are forced to have to share the corporate dollars.

As for the team, as long as RC and/or Pop are actively calling shots in the draft, they should be good for a long while. RC is 59 so hopefully he has another 15+ years in him of going hard scouting-wise.

timvp
11-12-2019, 05:38 PM
I don't think it's fair to call the Holts cheap in the past. They paid Parker when Pop asked. They went out and paid Richard Jefferson when it looked like he was the missing piece to get them back in the title hunt. They OK'ed maxing Leonard out back when the jury was out on him. The only time I can remember them not wanting to pay a guy was Scola. I can't clown them for one mistake given how great the family has been otherwise. As a Spurs fan I'm pretty grateful for the Holts just like I was for Angelo Drossos back when he was willing to pay to add guys like Artis Gilmore and Mike Mitchell to improve the team.

Well said, tbh. The Holts giving Pop and RC space to do what they want and never even questioning their job status is one of the most important aspects of the dynasty. Most owners would have found a way to ruin it.

baseline bum
11-12-2019, 05:38 PM
Eh, I used to joke about the Spurs relocating but it's not happening any time soon. There's now enough money in town to keep them around. The only thing that could change that is if the NFL goes to San Antonio and the Spurs are forced to have to share the corporate dollars.

As for the team, as long as RC and/or Pop are actively calling shots in the draft, they should be good for a long while. RC is 59 so hopefully he has another 15+ years in him of going hard scouting-wise.

You think the city is going to build them a new arena when the AT&T Center lease is up? If it goes to a vote I don't see it, not when the Spurs aren't a title team.

Dex
11-12-2019, 05:45 PM
You think the city is going to build them a new arena when the AT&T Center lease is up? If it goes to a vote I don't see it, not when the Spurs aren't a title team.

If it means the Spurs will leave town? Yes, I think they will.

I don't think it will go over in a landslide but those things never do. But ultimately, I think the SA ties with the Spurs will win out

goliath
11-12-2019, 06:06 PM
Relocation is such a tired argument. The ATT Center just got renovated s couple years ago. In return, the Spurs extended their lease until like 2033.

TD 21
11-12-2019, 07:03 PM
Pacers East (only they're in the East and have better young talent). Old school organization in every conceivably way, refuses to tank, can't attract Americans superstars/stars, with the possible exception of those who are from the city/state.

The biggest question facing this franchise is, do they team have an offensive focal point going forward? Currently, based on advanced stats, even the Hornets, with their no stars/underwhelming prospects, have Graham posting metrics that indicate as much. I doubt it lasts, but still.

If it's anyone, it probably has to be Walker. I can't imagine Murray or White being go-to scorer types, especially the latter. Just doesn't have the mentality. The former has it, but probably not the skillset.

RC_Drunkford
11-12-2019, 08:04 PM
"basketball doesn't matter, what matters is that we change these peoples lives and we lose with class and go home" :pop:

keithington1
11-12-2019, 08:54 PM
Murray
White
Walker
Johnson
Samanic

sasaint
11-12-2019, 09:01 PM
A refreshing take. In short supply around here.

That doesn’t seem too refreshing as long as the same decision-maker is in place to continue deals like Pau’s and 50 Mills’, continue the masterful roster construction and perform in-game shenanigans like his lineups and rotations.

BillMc
11-12-2019, 09:55 PM

How have they looked? I've only saw one boxscore from one game.

Mugen
11-12-2019, 10:26 PM
Hopefully it looks a lot like Seattle. :lol

spurs1990
11-12-2019, 10:56 PM
Point is Spurs will be fine as and remain in San Antonio as long as the Holt’s don’t sell unless Austin and San Antonio are the next DFW, and Austin promises to build them a stadium in like 30 years with some type of transportation to get you to both places within minutes. They would probably remain the San Antonio Spurs because of the brand. They would lose a huge amount of the fan base if they rebranded to the Austin Spurs.

100% in line with this sentiment. I’ve never lived a day in my life in San Antonio or south Texas but If they ever moved the team I would drop them like a bad habit. I don’t even care if it was Austin which is what an hour away. In my mind that city is its own culture and space, and would no longer represent what we’ve seen the last 30 years of Robinson to Duncan.

exstatic
11-13-2019, 07:42 AM
Murray
White
Walker
Johnson
Samanic

Murray
White
Johnson
Samanic
Poeltl

Walker
Forbes
Weatherspoon

CGD
11-13-2019, 08:58 AM
1. They get a good building block piece for one of DDR or LMA. The other one just leaves.

2. They consolidate a few young assets, like White, Forbes, Lonnie to upgrade for another building block piece.

mo7888
11-13-2019, 09:09 AM
I would hope the 'immediate' future (as defined by the trade deadline) would look something like upgrading forbes in the SL for someone like Bogdanovic in Sacramento (he's told sac that he won't resign so we might can pull him) and moving LMA for Turner from Indy. I feel like both of these guys are available.

The truth is the future is probably the status quo though...

UZER
11-13-2019, 09:19 AM
Derozen and Aldridge need to go, but if you’re going to keep one, keep Aldridge. You can build young guys around him because he needs other players to get him the ball, and he can play within the flow of the game while given them room to operate.

Derozen is a one man show in his own head. He stunts everything around him with his style and Kobe mentality. The young guys cannot spread their wings, and the team cannot build any chemistry as long as he is on the roster. He also is a bonehead who will lose you 15 games in crunch time for every 1 he wins.

mo7888
11-13-2019, 09:31 AM
Derozen and Aldridge need to go, but if you’re going to keep one, keep Aldridge. You can build young guys around him because he needs other players to get him the ball, and he can play within the flow of the game while given them room to operate.

Derozen is a one man show in his own head. He stunts everything around him with his style and Kobe mentality. The young guys cannot spread their wings, and the team cannot build any chemistry as long as he is on the roster. He also is a bonehead who will lose you 15 games in crunch time for every 1 he wins.

For me it just depends on what you're getting back. If you move LMA and get a guy like turner who is 38% or so from 3 you space things better where DDR is more effective and if he opts out next summer you have space there too.

If we move DDR we need to get an upgrade at the 3 & 4 with each player being a threat from 3 so LMA can be more effective down low. (Maybe gordon and Fournier or Barnes and Bogdanovic)... although I hate Barnes's contract I'm just using that as an example..

The main thing is we need to move one of them if we want to improve this season.

r0drig0lac
11-13-2019, 09:39 AM
For me it just depends on what you're getting back. If you move LMA and get a guy like turner who is 38% or so from 3 you space things better where DDR is more effective and if he opts out next summer you have space there too.

If we move DDR we need to get an upgrade at the 3 & 4 with each player being a threat from 3 so LMA can be more effective down low. (Maybe gordon and Fournier or Barnes and Bogdanovic)... although I hate Barnes's contract I'm just using that as an example..

The main thing is we need to move one of them if we want to improve this season.

For the other teams, none of them are close to the value that the most optimistic believe, their value (by the difficult fit) is low at this time.

mo7888
11-13-2019, 09:52 AM
For the other teams, none of them are close to the value that the most optimistic believe, their value (by the difficult fit) is low at this time.

Honestly, that's an unknown to us at this point. We perceive their value as low because the spurs don't look good. Other teams may have a different opinion. For instance, there are reports that several teams have expressed interest in DDR (Orlando specifically being one). We also know that Kevin Pritchard in Indy has been high on LMA in the past and there have been articles that they want to move Turner because they don't want him and sabonis together long term. My point is that there probably are options to move either/or of our 'stars' and there probably are teams that value them more than we as fans value them.