PDA

View Full Version : Blazers: Melo is back

ace3g
11-14-2019, 08:56 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1195158126904913920

Laker_1995
11-14-2019, 09:06 PM
Por literally took all the spotlight from PG return lol.

Robz4000
11-14-2019, 09:07 PM
:lmao Guests

Chris
11-14-2019, 09:08 PM
Blazers

congrats tlong :lol

FrostKing
11-14-2019, 09:08 PM
For a supposid uber athletic League, old guys sure do stick around and get recycled often

DC23
11-14-2019, 09:09 PM
Blazers suck this year. This won't make them any better lol

AussieFanKurt
11-14-2019, 09:29 PM
Hope he fails. He is trash and cancer

D-Wade
11-14-2019, 09:31 PM
Whiteside + Melo... Bringing us back to the days of the Jailblazers

timtonymanu
11-14-2019, 09:34 PM
Melo playing with another ball dominant guard, this should end well

TheRemix
11-14-2019, 09:51 PM
Why do so many people wanna see this washed up inefficient iso player play in the league so bad? Dude is not that great anymore. I guess holding onto the ball 18 ft out and shooting the ball contested gets the fans going nowadays

tlongII
11-14-2019, 09:57 PM
He sucks. We have so many injuries we had to do something though.

gambit1990
11-14-2019, 11:40 PM
people on twitter saying the blazers have a big three now :lmao

D-Wade
11-14-2019, 11:44 PM

Who's the 2nd guy

swrowe78
11-15-2019, 12:02 AM
Hope it works out for him. Thought it was kind of messed up they blamed the Rockets slow start to Melo last year. I mean, usually when a team isn't playing well they people blame it on the coach or the teams best or second best player. But for some reason people blamed it all on Melo.

GAustex
11-15-2019, 12:10 AM
He is like DDR except worse. Good luck Blazers.

lefty
11-15-2019, 01:31 AM
RIP City

timtonymanu
11-15-2019, 01:34 AM

So was Westbrook/George/Melo and Harden/Paul/Melo, lol people still overrating Melo for being good a decade ago

Laker_1995
11-15-2019, 09:36 AM
Dude can still average 10-15 easily but media makes it seem like it’s Denver Melo like chill lol

benefactor
11-15-2019, 09:44 AM
RIP City
:lol

Kobe'sAchilles
11-15-2019, 10:22 AM
:lobt2:

MultiTroll
11-15-2019, 10:29 AM
Portland star Damian Lillard (https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6606/damian-lillard)
said in September that the team has its sights set on an NBA title,

whitemamba
11-15-2019, 12:00 PM
Damn so much melo hate... he could be a solid punch of the bench if he still has it. That doesnt mean the guests are going anywhere though.

LkrFan
11-15-2019, 01:11 PM
Hope his signing propels the Guests and kicks my Spurs further out of the playoff hunt.

Agreed :toast

endrity
11-17-2019, 10:30 AM
I don't think this ends well for anyone involved.

Clipper Nation
11-17-2019, 10:42 AM
Damn so much melo hate... he could be a solid punch of the bench if he still has it. That doesnt mean the guests are going anywhere though.
That's assuming Melo finally puts his ego aside and accepts a smaller role. If he was willing to do that, OKC and Houston wouldn't have dumped him ASAP. I guess we'll have to see whether all that time off humbled him as a player.

R. DeMurre
11-17-2019, 11:20 AM
Portland should sign Bill Walton.

Spurtacular
11-17-2019, 04:23 PM
Why do so many people wanna see this washed up inefficient iso player play in the league so bad?

Player fans

lefty
11-17-2019, 04:59 PM
That's assuming Melo finally puts his ego aside and accepts a smaller role. If he was willing to do that, OKC and Houston wouldn't have dumped him ASAP. I guess we'll have to see whether all that time off humbled him as a player.
Exactly

With his size and today’s small ball he can help with rebounding

Clipper Nation
11-19-2019, 06:32 PM
Same old Melo:

DMC
11-19-2019, 09:59 PM
3 for 12 and rejected at the rim = :lol Guests

AaronY
11-19-2019, 10:07 PM
Plus/minus of -20 so far :lol

Clipper Nation
11-19-2019, 10:52 PM
:lol 4-14
:lol -20
:lol 5 turnovers (team-high)
:lol Still refusing to accept anything less than a starting role

Imagine getting hyped up to see this selfish chucker return to the league.

11-20-2019, 12:59 AM
Nightmare start, what is carmelo thinking coming back to the in this shape besides trying(and successfully) conning one more team for a check.

swrowe78
11-20-2019, 01:20 AM
I was never a Melo fan, but I think you guys are a bit harsh on him tonight. Hasn't played in 376 days. Give him a break. It's like you guys secretly want him to fail.

AussieFanKurt
11-20-2019, 01:40 AM
I was never a Melo fan, but I think you guys are a bit harsh on him tonight. Hasn't played in 376 days. Give him a break. It's like you guys secretly want him to fail.

I don't think it's a secret

FrostKing
11-20-2019, 01:51 AM
Anthony or Kaepernick

Who had the bigger return flop?

endrity
11-20-2019, 04:35 AM

I don't think it's just an ego thing. I really believe it is legitimately difficult for people like Melo, who have essentially played iso-ball since their early teens, to learn how to be an effective off-the-ball player in their mid-to-late thirties. They have played the game a certain way for 20+ years, and you can't just switch that off. Coaches can tell them where to be when a play begins, but once it breaks down, as it often does, I believe players like Melo simply don't have the instincts to make the correct decisions on a court because they never had to.

Or to put it differently, if Melo had a better spatial understanding and feel for the game, he would have been challenging LeBron throughout his career. But other than isolation scoring, often inefficiently, Melo never showed he had much understanding of how to keep his teammates involved, even in his prime. So, what makes people believe that he can re-learn the game now?

MultiTroll
11-20-2019, 12:00 PM
So, what makes people believe that he can re-learn the game now?
Desire.
He could learn to play modern team ball if he wanted to.
Requires a personality adjustment. He's selfish and got enabled and pampered by the Nuggets and Knicks until Phildo said enough.

whitemamba
11-20-2019, 12:18 PM
:lol 4-14
:lol -20
:lol 5 turnovers (team-high)
:lol Still refusing to accept anything less than a starting role

Imagine getting hyped up to see this selfish chucker return to the league.

damn when i saw that stat line last night, i was like picking up right where he left off. :lol

MultiTroll
11-20-2019, 01:20 PM
damn when i saw that stat line last night, i was like picking up right where he left off. :lol
I would say let's give the dipstick 10 games and see what happens. But ya, looks like he is exactly the same.

Coaching has to be blamed here too. WTF is Portland coach allowing this type of volume chucking along with turnovers?
More turnovers then made baskets. :lmao
Ok 1 game.
Lets see if Melo and coach adjust.

FrostKing
11-20-2019, 01:57 PM
"NBA is so hard"

Old bum walks onto court and scores double digits

endrity
11-20-2019, 03:08 PM
Desire.
He could learn to play modern team ball if he wanted to.
Requires a personality adjustment. He's selfish and got enabled and pampered by the Nuggets and Knicks until Phildo said enough.

I think we honestly misjudge "basketball IQ" for other psychological factors (such as ego, desire, "toughness" etc.) because it makes for a better story.

But decision-making/feel/IQ for the game is arguably the most important factor for having a successful career in basketball, but also other sports, and also the most difficult skill to judge when evaluating players. The number of skilled athletes who still failed to make the highest impact is very high in basketball and other sports, and its often because making good decisions on a court just doesn't come natural to them.

Melo doesn't appear to be any worse of a person than other NBA stars. He clearly worked a lot on his body and game as well, to the point that even now he seems to be in a good shape. He doesn't appear to be unprofessional at all. But what LeBron sees on a court, and has seen since he was a kid, and what what Melo sees will always be very different. And I don't think that changes at age 35.

MultiTroll
11-20-2019, 03:37 PM
Melo doesn't appear to be any worse of a person than other NBA stars. But what LeBron sees on a court, and has seen since he was a kid, and what what Melo sees will always be very different. And I don't think that changes at age 35.
Both agree and disagree. Remember when Kirbs Bryant went on a bit of an assist tear several years ago for 4-5 games (something like that.) Far from being unselfish, it seems like something was said to him about or by Magic Johnson so Kobme had to show he could do it by banging out some high assist to chucks games. And he did. Bravo, he was very good it. Of course his motivation quickly waned and he went back to being Kobme. Point being a seemingly unchangeable chucker proved he could be a good, hell great assist team player.

So I wonder if Melos court vision ability, while not matching LeBrons (cmon only a select % of pro's past and present do) could Melo likewise become a very good passer if he wanted to / was forced into? Even if Melo could not reach Temporary Kirby assist levels he certainly could improve.

Agree that his strength was scoring and especially end of game clutch situations. He was verifiably good at that.

D-Wade
11-20-2019, 03:47 PM
Even Old Man Vince Carter has a better feel for the game now than Melo ever had. Some players have it, others don't.

Chucho
11-20-2019, 05:04 PM
"NBA is so hard"

Old bum walks onto court and scores double digits

I'd say it's easier than belting a home run, scoring a goal or having a solid passer rating your first game back in those respective sports with the same layoff. And that's assuming there's no injury factor that kept you out.

Chucho
11-20-2019, 05:07 PM
Even Old Man Vince Carter has a better feel for the game now than Melo ever had. Some players have it, others don't.

Vince Carter is a superior player. Vince Carter was Kobe Bryant without Shaq or MVPau. Top 30-50 talent, All Time. Melo clocks in somewhere from low 50s to 75ish.

Laker_1995
11-20-2019, 06:24 PM
Vince Carter is a superior player. Vince Carter was Kobe Bryant without Shaq or MVPau. Top 30-50 talent, All Time. Melo clocks in somewhere from low 50s to 75ish.

Easy there pal

endrity
11-20-2019, 06:29 PM
Both agree and disagree. Remember when Kirbs Bryant went on a bit of an assist tear several years ago for 4-5 games (something like that.) Far from being unselfish, it seems like something was said to him about or by Magic Johnson so Kobme had to show he could do it by banging out some high assist to chucks games. And he did. Bravo, he was very good it. Of course his motivation quickly waned and he went back to being Kobme. Point being a seemingly unchangeable chucker proved he could be a good, hell great assist team player.

So I wonder if Melos court vision ability, while not matching LeBrons (cmon only a select % of pro's past and present do) could Melo likewise become a very good passer if he wanted to / was forced into? Even if Melo could not reach Temporary Kirby assist levels he certainly could improve.

Agree that his strength was scoring and especially end of game clutch situations. He was verifiably good at that.

I honestly don't remember that stretch of play from Kobe. When did that happen?

I guess we are agree a lot Melo though.

MultiTroll
11-20-2019, 06:37 PM
I honestly don't remember that stretch of play from Kobe. When did that happen?

I guess we are agree a lot Melo though.
2012-13 for 11 games.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1576644-ranking-most-impressive-stretches-of-kobe-bryants-career#slide1

Clipper Nation
11-20-2019, 06:52 PM
Hopefully people will stop crying that Melo was "blackballed" from the league now. It's not a conspiracy, he sucks and no serious team was ever going to waste a roster spot on him.

The way the media, fans and former players whined Melo back into the league is actually disrespectful to all the young players, D-Leaguers and two-way contract guys who are working their asses off for a spot in the league.

whitemamba
11-20-2019, 07:42 PM
I would say let's give the dipstick 10 games and see what happens. But ya, looks like he is exactly the same.

Coaching has to be blamed here too. WTF is Portland coach allowing this type of volume chucking along with turnovers?
More turnovers then made baskets. :lmao
Ok 1 game.
Lets see if Melo and coach adjust.

im with ya on the 1 game but still had to lol when i saw the line.

DMC
11-21-2019, 03:23 PM

Secretly?:lol

He's a superstar at least in the media. Fuck him. If he can't hang then he should stay out.

Once you get into the mosh pit you're fair game.

DMC
11-21-2019, 03:24 PM
im with ya on the 1 game but still had to lol when i saw the line.

So what, is he suddenly going to become no longer the team cancer he was for the last 10 years?

whitemamba
11-21-2019, 05:29 PM
So what, is he suddenly going to become no longer the team cancer he was for the last 10 years?

nah homie you probably right tbh.. but lets at least give him a chance no ?

phxspurfan
11-21-2019, 09:10 PM
Melo lookin' smooth out there

Too bad Spurs had Forbes ...

DMC
11-21-2019, 09:38 PM
nah homie you probably right tbh.. but lets at least give him a chance no ?

No chance. It's the ST way.

whitemamba
11-22-2019, 12:14 PM
No chance. It's the ST way.

:lol

Clipper Nation
11-24-2019, 12:18 AM
0-8 from three in a loss to the Cavs :lol

DC23
11-24-2019, 12:22 AM
Melo played 35 minutes tonight. The Blazers are a fucking mess. Very sad. Spurs have a better chance of turning it around than these guys do tbh.

MultiTroll
11-24-2019, 12:53 AM
When you think of all the players trying to bust into the NBA (or bench players with no minutes) and he's awarded with this size of an opportunity.

Just seems like some real behind the scenes bullshit is taking place.

FrostKing
11-24-2019, 01:01 AM
When you think of all the players trying to bust into the NBA (or bench players with no minutes) and he's awarded with this size of an opportunity.

Just seems like some real behind the scenes bullshit is taking place.
Global game where two young foreigners are headlining and this dinosaur is eating minutes for a NBA team. Blazers being incredibly lazy in scouting?

horseshue
11-24-2019, 02:36 AM
Blazers might never ever again win a game, with a Melo on their team. The curse is real. And i really like Melo, wish him all the best.

Texas_Ranger
11-24-2019, 07:27 AM
the guy has always been a selfish loser and he will stay a selfish loser. I don't know why anyone would want this cancer on their team. Also, I have no idea why are people on twitter so fucking happy to see him back.

endrity
11-24-2019, 11:24 AM
He should probably just go play in Europe for a couple of years. Some team trying to win the Euroleague might take a chance on him.

Texas_Ranger
11-24-2019, 01:27 PM
He should probably just go play in Europe for a couple of years. Some team trying to win the Euroleague might take a chance on him.

top Euroleague teams would never want to have him on their team. Imagine him being coached by Obradovic. Melo would wanna go home after one practice.

endrity
11-24-2019, 05:50 PM
top Euroleague teams would never want to have him on their team. Imagine him being coached by Obradovic. Melo would wanna go home after one practice.

Obradovic would kill him with bare hands during the first practice. But maybe some team trying to upend things a bit. Maybe Bayern Munich or Olimpia Milan, with potentially rich owners, trying to make a splash in their cities as well. Maybe there he could find some kind of success for a year or two. But that's it, that's how his career will end now. There will be no glorious final tour around the league for him.

GAustex
11-24-2019, 05:59 PM
China would take him

Chris
11-26-2019, 05:58 AM
he back for real and probably in the best shape ever jumpshot is wet congrats tlongII