PDA

View Full Version : Trey Lyles: A Pleasant Surprise No One Saw Coming

Amuseddaysleeper
11-15-2019, 03:24 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/trey-lyles-san-antonio-spurs-pleasant-surprise/

Lyles has exceeded expectations already and should continue to improve as the season wears on.

jermaine
11-15-2019, 03:39 PM
I'm feeling this dude. He's not gonna do anything sexy, but he does come to play. I wanted Rudy to start over him at 1st, nut we need Rudy's scoring off the bench.

KDKSpurs24
11-15-2019, 03:50 PM
I didn't see any competitive fire from him in any of the open runs I was watching this offseason so i'm definitely pleasantly surprised.

Kobe'sAchilles
11-15-2019, 04:45 PM
The dude is playing for his NBA career. I think that fact finally hit him. And for his production, we got him at a bargain

John B
11-15-2019, 04:49 PM
I like how he’s responded to the challenge (Europe or China could’ve been his next stint if it didn’t pan out). He was heavily recruited in high school at PF, but forced to play small forward with Kentucky already had multiple bigs. I think it allowed Trey to get even better with ballhandling and drive to the basket. I surely hope it continous, maybe we don’t need to trade for Aaron Gordon. I like what I’m seeing

RC_Drunkford
11-15-2019, 05:06 PM
no team in the NBA would start him, but of course Pop does

sasaint
11-15-2019, 05:21 PM
The dude is playing for his NBA career. I think that fact finally hit him. And for his production, we got him at a bargain

He may be playing for his NBA career, but he is showing no desperation or panic or fear of failure. He is playing very smoothly. I expect he will continue to improve as the season wears on and he gains more experience and comfort in the Spurs' system.

exstatic
11-15-2019, 05:42 PM
no team in the NBA would start him, but of course Pop does

No one would have before, but he's kicking ass, and I'll bet 20+ teams would start him NOW. He's the prototypical modern day stretch 4.

emanueldavidginobili
11-15-2019, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the article.

I’m definitely surprised by Lyles play and very impressed by his rebounding. Like you said he’s leading the team in rebounding at 8 per game and is doing it in only 20 minutes of play and has 4 double digit rebound games. LA is averaging 32 min and hasn’t recorded a single double digit rebounding game this season.

timtonymanu
11-15-2019, 06:30 PM
When he’s the bright spot, you know the team sucks lol

RC_Drunkford
11-15-2019, 06:43 PM
No one would have before, but he's kicking ass, and I'll bet 20+ teams would start him NOW. He's the prototypical modern day stretch 4.

yeah he's kicking ass scoring 4.6 points per game :rolleyes

SAGirl
11-15-2019, 06:47 PM
He’s shooting better and has adapted to fit in and do what’s required but his defensive numbers are boosted by rebounding. Any skilled big owns him tbh. Still much better than he looked early on when he didn’t want to shoot.

SpurSpike
11-15-2019, 06:48 PM
As soon as i saw that video of him praising Tim, i had a good feeling spurs could develop his game.

GAustex
11-15-2019, 06:51 PM
Yep he has been a good addition. It may get ugly at times when he guards good offensive PFs.

dbestpro
11-15-2019, 07:30 PM
yeah he's kicking ass scoring 4.6 points per game :rolleyes

A little come back to earth moment.

Mugen
11-15-2019, 07:43 PM

:lol WTF - I don't think he'd start for 2/3 of the league.

He's been a pleasant surprise in that he hasn't been completely horrible.

RC_Drunkford
11-15-2019, 08:11 PM

Aaron Gordon, PJ Tucker, Gallinari, Marcus Morris, Hayward, Anthony Davis, Siakam, Giannis, Kawhi, Blake Griffin, Al Horford, Sabonis, Taurean Prince, PJ Washington, Jabari Parker, Kevin Love, Markkanen, Saric, Horford, Kleber, Jaren Jackson, Draymond Green, Rui Hachimura, Covington, Millsap, Bjelica

That's 26 starting PFs who are better than him. And he's not really better than Meyers Leonard or Royce O'Neal either. So the only team besides the Spurs that would start him are the Portland Trail Blazers cause they are about to start Melo. He's one of the 2 worst starting PFs in the NBA and that doesn't even include bench players who are better than him, but somehow Spurs fans are in love with below average role players

cool cat
11-15-2019, 08:35 PM
I’m not jumping on this bandwagon, as stated above he might be the worst starting PF in the league. Only reason he starts for us is because he moves slightly faster then Rudy Gay on defense and that’s not saying much.

timtonymanu
11-15-2019, 09:35 PM

Lol looking good on arguably the worst team in the league

timvp
11-15-2019, 09:55 PM
Looked pretty calm in the clutch tonight. Good sign :tu

SpurPadre
11-15-2019, 09:59 PM
He's proven useful but still not worthy of being a starter on most playoff teams.

TDomination
11-15-2019, 10:00 PM
I like Lyles, I wish I could say the same for a lot of our other players

GAustex
11-15-2019, 10:39 PM
I seems to be able to jump well at the right moment to snag the rebound

r0drig0lac
11-16-2019, 06:22 AM
Aaron Gordon, PJ Tucker, Gallinari, Marcus Morris, Hayward, Anthony Davis, Siakam, Giannis, Kawhi, Blake Griffin, Al Horford, Sabonis, Taurean Prince, PJ Washington, Jabari Parker, Kevin Love, Markkanen, Saric, Horford, Kleber, Jaren Jackson, Draymond Green, Rui Hachimura, Covington, Millsap, Bjelica

That's 26 starting PFs who are better than him. And he's not really better than Meyers Leonard or Royce O'Neal either. So the only team besides the Spurs that would start him are the Portland Trail Blazers cause they are about to start Melo. He's one of the 2 worst starting PFs in the NBA and that doesn't even include bench players who are better than him, but somehow Spurs fans are in love with below average role players

word

Poolboy5623
11-16-2019, 08:57 AM
He would be deep on the bench for any other team(especially a playoff team), but for the Spurs he starts...

EasyMoney
11-16-2019, 09:02 AM
I don't know if pop is trying to compete or working towards the future. Trey Lyles starting makes me think the latter. But he is playing Marco while benching Carroll. I don't think he knows what he is doing. Or he just doesn't care anymore.

sasaint
11-16-2019, 09:12 AM
Very few newcomers to the Spurs really shine right off the bat. But Lyles has looked solid from the beginning and continues to show steady improvement. By the end of the season he will shine. People want to see Lonnie get a lot of minutes to improve yet he has not looked nearly as good as Lyles has looked from the get-go. And people are ready to shit-can Lyles instead of projecting his improvement. SMH.

cd98
11-16-2019, 10:06 AM
Didn't we just sign him for one year? Looks like he'll be a one and done player.

Raven
11-16-2019, 11:07 AM
to say he's been a nightmare, would be on the conservative side

JeffDuncan
11-16-2019, 12:03 PM
Didn't we just sign him for one year? Looks like he'll be a one and done player.

It's a 2 yr contract, but the 2nd year is not guaranteed.

Mugen
11-16-2019, 12:11 PM
The bar is so low for this team :lol

timtonymanu
11-16-2019, 01:03 PM
The bar is so low for this team :lol

Sniiffer: He starts for our lottery team, that means 20 other teams will start him today.

duncan2k5
11-16-2019, 10:41 PM
That San Antonio weed must be ass for you guys to think Lyles is playing great... Dude makes zero impact

Amuseddaysleeper
11-16-2019, 10:54 PM
That San Antonio weed must be ass for you guys to think Lyles is playing great... Dude makes zero impact

I’m in Canada, the weed here is great. And so is Lyles

objective
11-18-2019, 10:54 PM

yeah, he doesn't exactly look like a top 10 PF out there

duncan2k5
11-19-2019, 04:06 AM

exactly

ElNono
11-19-2019, 05:03 AM

This team starts Bryn Forbes, a borderline NBA player

RC_Drunkford
11-19-2019, 05:32 AM
This team starts Bryn Forbes, a borderline NBA player

Murray/Forbes might be the worst back court in the NBA

Dejounte
11-30-2019, 12:16 PM
Trey is averaging half the points this season in the same amount of minutes he has had the past several seasons. This is partly because of his slow start on offense. Its worth noting hes averaging double the rebounds. If his ppg gets back to his average by having more nights like last night, that would be huge for the bench. His 3s and that fast break dunk last night was huge.

Truth4sale$
11-30-2019, 04:10 PM
I am pleasantly surprised to see the contribution of Trey lyles, he seems to as Pop used to say.."gotten over himself", the fact he is a bust of a lottery talent. But with some stability he might turn into a solid role player on the right team. What does that say about Metu still languishing at the end of the bench, and occasionally in the Gleague. Has he not improved or simply cant get an opportunity, with guys ahead of him, like Trey, Rudy, and of course LaMarcus?

phxspurfan
11-30-2019, 05:07 PM
Decent prospect, would have to develop/improve over at least 2 more years to be legitimately startable (even though this team has started random dudes a lot)

ceperez
11-30-2019, 06:24 PM
Spurs are a team where mediocre talent can be serviceable so long as they don't make mistakes.

Lyles is a better talent though than Kyle Anderson. Spurs got a lot of mileage from Anderson despite his lack of talent.

FkLA
11-30-2019, 06:49 PM
Never got on the Lyles hate bandwagon even when he wasn't hitting threes early in the season. He looks like a solid pro to me. Jack of all trades kind of guy. His stroke looks sweet too, I think he can eventually be a 40%+ three-point shooter.

Coach X
11-30-2019, 08:53 PM
He's playing better every game despite being moved from starting to DNP CD to the end of the bench to second unit minutes. He rebounds well, he's shooting with confidence, he looks better into the offensive and defensive schemes than some others playing 3rd or 4th season in San Antonio.

Good profesional and good role player. I believe he fits better in the starting line up than Gay, Liles can play decent defense but Rudy can't.

offset formation
11-30-2019, 09:16 PM

Lulz. This tweet was bad when written and is aging even worse.

4lifecowboy
12-01-2019, 06:25 AM
Lyles would be a better player if he had more offensive opportunities, being on the floor with Aldridge limits his impact. Getting rid of Aldridge would be an addition by subtraction, we can get back to team ball.

Dex
12-04-2019, 06:30 PM
Don't look now, but Lyles is currently averaging 39.1% from three...which would be a career-best for him if he can keep it up.

Obviously not the volume shooter Bertans was, but good to see his stroke coming back to form.

RC_Drunkford
12-05-2019, 08:08 AM
He seems to be a better defender than Carroll too. The difference between the 2 was super obvious during the Rockets game although I think Carroll would play better if he had a consistent role

BillMc
12-05-2019, 08:29 AM
He's playing better every game despite being moved from starting to DNP CD to the end of the bench to second unit minutes. He rebounds well, he's shooting with confidence, he looks better into the offensive and defensive schemes than some others playing 3rd or 4th season in San Antonio.

Good profesional and good role player. I believe he fits better in the starting line up than Gay, Liles can play decent defense but Rudy can't.

well said.

I'm hoping for a Danny Green like resurrection.

RC_Drunkford
12-05-2019, 09:16 AM

I disagree with that. Lyles fits way better next to Poeltl, both on offense and defense. He's also miles better offensively going against opposing benches and he makes energy plays, which is what you want from your subs to get some juice

Coach X
12-05-2019, 10:25 AM
I disagree with that. Lyles fits way better next to Poeltl, both on offense and defense. He's also miles better offensively going against opposing benches and he makes energy plays, which is what you want from your subs to get some juice
Don’t you think Gay fits better with Poetl offensively because of the amount of ball/shots both need? Rudy provides range but also play making it the second unit whilst Liles acts as a spot up shooter and offensive rebounder as starter. I think our offense is more balanced in both units with Gay coming off the bench.

In the other end, Gay is one of the worst defensive players of the roster: slow away from the basket and forgetful and inattentive away from the ball (weak side, screens, transition defense). Liles at least is usually focused and executes well and he’s more agile as well.

Liles did well rebounding as well. Yes he struggled against All-Star PF, but Rudy would do it as well...

RC_Drunkford
12-05-2019, 02:32 PM
Rudy is not ideal as a starter that is true. But playing in an iso-offense with DeRozan and Aldridge usually results in one of those 3 having the mismatch. They were very efficient doing that last year, whoever had the mismatch got the ball in the post. Playing with Poeltl unleashes Lyles 3-point shooting cause Poeltl plays closer to the rim and Lyles can get open easier cause the bench plays more of a motion offense. Also him and Poeltl are both good offensive rebounders and the bench got more 3-point shooting than the starters. Lyles as a starter is literally the worst starting PF in the NBA.
As I said starting Gay ain't ideal, but I prefer that. What's concerning to me is that his 3-point shooting has fallen off a cliff recently

LittleCriminal
01-11-2020, 05:25 PM
Bump

LittleCriminal
01-11-2020, 05:28 PM
After watching the Memphis game, I still think Lyles is an upgrade over sh!t pile Kyle.. #thankyouGrizz!!

spurraider21
01-11-2020, 05:35 PM
hes a shitty diaw

John B
01-11-2020, 06:25 PM
hes a shitty diaw
Tbh Diaw would’ve been multiple all-star selection if he’s not such a slacker

cd021
01-11-2020, 07:06 PM
hes a shitty diaw

Pretty much, tbh

FkLA
01-11-2020, 07:38 PM
He's solid and Pop doesn't overuse him. If he's struggling with his offense, like he was yesterday, Pop has no problem going with Rudy or sliding DeRozan over to the 4. Some people are too hard on him, imo.

spurraider21
01-11-2020, 08:30 PM
He's solid and Pop doesn't overuse him. If he's struggling with his offense, like he was yesterday, Pop has no problem going with Rudy or sliding DeRozan over to the 4. Some people are too hard on him, imo.
thats because he's not just trey lyles

he is trey "not davis bertans" lyles

BackHome
01-12-2020, 01:42 AM
After Forbes and Beli are gone the next upgrade needs to happen for Lyles and Rudy.

slick'81
01-12-2020, 01:57 AM
hes a shitty diaw

Def a homeless mans diaw

RC_Drunkford
01-12-2020, 05:37 AM
worst starting PF in the league. Ok player, who you wouldn't mind to have on the team as a bench piece, but not good enough to be starting. Still miles better than Bryn Forbes

jermaine
01-12-2020, 05:40 AM
Who doesn't people on this board shit on 24/7!?! Lyles is playing his role perfectly an getting better an better under Timmy. You can see his confidence growing as we get further and further into the season.

Shakril
01-12-2020, 06:28 AM
I am not a fan of lyles, but he at least is solid and not the main problem of the spurs.

tbdog
01-12-2020, 08:08 AM
I am not a fan of lyles, but he at least is solid and not the main problem of the spurs.

Avg 5pt and 6reb at below avg % without giving any defensive stats. Yes, he is a problem.

jermaine
01-12-2020, 10:34 AM
Avg 5pt and 6reb at below avg % without giving any defensive stats. Yes, he is a problem.

Name other players from another team that's a non superstar in his situation putting up better numbers. I'll wait.... He's playing more consistently than that 100 million dollar player Draymond green.

RC_Drunkford
01-12-2020, 02:27 PM
Name other players from another team that's a non superstar in his situation putting up better numbers. I'll wait.... He's playing more consistently than that 100 million dollar player Draymond green.

Name one starting PF who's worse than Trey Lyles. I'll wait

jermaine
01-12-2020, 03:38 PM
Name one starting PF who's worse than Trey Lyles. I'll wait

Draymond green

RC_Drunkford
01-12-2020, 05:55 PM
Draymond green

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

yeah a former DPOY and All-Star is worse than Trey Lyles. What kinda drugs do you use?

jermaine
01-12-2020, 06:16 PM

yeah a former DPOY and All-Star is worse than Trey Lyles. What kinda drugs do you use?

Maybe you haven't watched him lately....

tbdog
01-12-2020, 06:49 PM

Zubac
Zeller
Baynes
Dieng
Mavs have three that are giving more production.
Morris twins
Jarrett Allen
Alex Len

exstatic
01-12-2020, 07:10 PM

Keyword former, and if you put Lyles on a court with Steph, Klay, and Durant, I bet he’d look like a world beater. It’s amazing how easy it is to score n the NBA when no one is paying any attention to you.

sasaint
01-12-2020, 07:14 PM
I like Lyles, and I think he is improving - especially for a new guy to the team. ST is just impatient with him, although I admit I expected a little more progress.

jermaine
01-12-2020, 07:51 PM
Zubac
Zeller
Baynes
Dieng
Mavs have three that are giving more production.
Morris twins
Jarrett Allen
Alex Len

Muthafucka I said 1, you named 8 with yo smart ass... lmmfao

RC_Drunkford
01-12-2020, 09:23 PM
Keyword former, and if you put Lyles on a court with Steph, Klay, and Durant, I bet he’d look like a world beater. It’s amazing how easy it is to score n the NBA when no one is paying any attention to you.

the lack of basketball knowledge on this forum is truly ridiculous. He was in the DPOY race last year, not 10 years ago :lmao

I like Lyles, and I think he is improving - especially for a new guy to the team. ST is just impatient with him, although I admit I expected a little more progress.

I'm not saying he's bad or that I don't like him. I'm simply saying by NBA standards he's the worst starting PF in the league. If you look at the quality other teams got at that position, he should not be in the starting line up.

sasaint
01-12-2020, 09:40 PM
the lack of basketball knowledge on this forum is truly ridiculous. He was in the DPOY race last year, not 10 years ago :lmao

I'm not saying he's bad or that I don't like him. I'm simply saying by NBA standards he's the worst starting PF in the league. If you look at the quality other teams got at that position, he should not be in the starting line up.

Because the roster is what it is, I prefer him in the SL over Rudy. Plus, I think of it as the kind of on-the-job training that posters urge Pop to use with Lonnie. I would argue that PF is a position of greater need. I think Pop sees Lyles as the PF version of Danny Green. That's my paradigm. You hope he grows into the SL as Danny did. Plus, I think he is performing better than most veterans in their first year with the Spurs. So, if he is mediocre now, you hope with experience he is a good starting caliber PF by the end of the season. I think he will be.

RC_Drunkford
01-13-2020, 07:49 AM
Because the roster is what it is, I prefer him in the SL over Rudy. Plus, I think of it as the kind of on-the-job training that posters urge Pop to use with Lonnie. I would argue that PF is a position of greater need. I think Pop sees Lyles as the PF version of Danny Green. That's my paradigm. You hope he grows into the SL as Danny did. Plus, I think he is performing better than most veterans in their first year with the Spurs. So, if he is mediocre now, you hope with experience he is a good starting caliber PF by the end of the season. I think he will be.

Well the one good thing about him is that he's only 24, so he could still be able to make the jump. He could certainly develop into that type of player. It's mainly his 3-point shot that he has to improve.

paperboy77
01-13-2020, 07:54 AM
Lyles is not that bad. The guy makes some pretty good hustle plays. ST always bitching about everything!

DavidTheGoliath
01-13-2020, 08:53 AM
Lyles is not that bad. The guy makes some pretty good hustle plays. ST always bitching about everything!

This wont be st if there is no bitching tbh.
Also, complaining and wanting change is good for discussion. We dont want this place to become an echo chamber tbh tbh

sasaint
01-13-2020, 01:07 PM
Well the one good thing about him is that he's only 24, so he could still be able to make the jump. He could certainly develop into that type of player. It's mainly his 3-point shot that he has to improve.

Yes, that's the point. He is only 24, he is very athletic, has great physical tools and this is his first year in SA. People on ST are usually so obsessed with ceiling and upside, but for some reason not with Trey. I think he has a very high ceiling; with his upside I don't understand the disparagement of the guy. I am rooting for the guy as much as I am the other "young guns". Hell, I regard him as one of our young guns - and one at a position where we have a dearth of talent.

Kobe'sAchilles
01-13-2020, 01:30 PM
I'm just waiting for him to be out of the starting line up. He's not a good player at all but he could turn into one bc he's still so young. If he can learn places on the floor and angles then he would be immensely better. He still doesn't know the game. He doesn't have a feel for the game at all. This can be taught and maybe he will learn but as of now, he shouldn't be anywhere near the starting line up. Dude needs to learn from Oberto and Tiago tbh

Kobe'sAchilles
01-13-2020, 01:58 PM
The kid has had FOUR YEARS in Pime Developmental programs (Utah and Denver) and now he has had a half season WITH THE BEST developmental program under GOAT Tim Duncan, if it were gonna happen for Trey it WOULD HAVE HAPPENED.

He is regressing at this point.

Move on, bring up Metu play Demarre Carroll.

Its not that hard of an Equation.

I agree with you that he has regressed. And the knock on him in Denver/Utah was that he didn't work hard enough and took too many stupid shots. He has had zero work ethic problems so far and his shot selection has become conservative which means he is at least capable of changing. I still say he should learn from Tiago and Oberto on how to screen properly, how to roll, and how to use angles to get open down low. We got him cheap so we might as well try.

Kobe'sAchilles
01-13-2020, 02:24 PM
So a guy in Metu following the company line, working hard, working on his game and showing progress gets no run over a guy who has had 4 season to get his shit together? Naw man I can't agree with that at all. 4 years and the dude cant set a screen? He needs Tiago and Oberto to teach him to screen over Tim Duncan?

Dude.......
Screen and roll yes. Tiago was one of the best at it. Oberto too knew how to use small spaces to get open. Both guys knew specifically how to play off the ball and not have the offense run trough them, yet find their way to contribute. That's something Lyles needs to learn. Duncan was never a role player like that.

If you want to play Metu that's fine, might as well see what we have in him. If Portland wasn't so shitty this year then Metu probably would already be playing. But Pop has hope still that we can make the playoffs and hasn't officially accepted the tank (even though his shitty rotations are a major reason why we suck).

sasaint
01-13-2020, 02:56 PM
So a guy in Metu following the company line, working hard, working on his game and showing progress gets no run over a guy who has had 4 season to get his shit together? Naw man I can't agree with that at all. 4 years and the dude cant set a screen? He needs Tiago and Oberto to teach him to screen over Tim Duncan?

Dude.......

As you are aware, I like Metu, also. But Pop ain't gonna give him a shot this year. Consequently, I root for Lyles to become a quality starting PF by this season's end. If that happens, then next season we should have a PF rotation of Lyles and Metu, and Rudy can sail away into the sunset. I have been praying for Pop's retirement for longer than most her on ST, and I am loathe to give him much credit. However, that may be his plan: Get Trey up to speed this season and bring Metu up to the varsity and get him up to speed next season. In this scenario by the beginning of the 21-22 season, we would have two quality young PFs competing for time.

slick'81
01-13-2020, 06:50 PM
Spurs took this dude off the scrap heap and resurrected his career

BD24
01-13-2020, 06:55 PM
worst starting PF in the league. Ok player, who you wouldn't mind to have on the team as a bench piece, but not good enough to be starting. Still miles better than Bryn Forbes
And that’s the sad thing. He isn’t even our worst starter :lol

slick'81
01-13-2020, 06:58 PM

What a horrible sobering thought

RC_Drunkford
01-13-2020, 07:10 PM
Yes, that's the point. He is only 24, he is very athletic, has great physical tools and this is his first year in SA. People on ST are usually so obsessed with ceiling and upside, but for some reason not with Trey. I think he has a very high ceiling; with his upside I don't understand the disparagement of the guy. I am rooting for the guy as much as I am the other "young guns". Hell, I regard him as one of our young guns - and one at a position where we have a dearth of talent.

eh he's not really athletic my dude. He's like a more athletic Kyle Anderson, but he's still pretty unathletic for an NBA player. He gets blocked at the rim a lot and only shoots 59% from 0-3 feet. That's not good

RC_Drunkford
01-13-2020, 07:11 PM

yep, which is why I mentioned the worse starter in my statement :lol

sasaint
01-13-2020, 07:31 PM
eh he's not really athletic my dude. He's like a more athletic Kyle Anderson, but he's still pretty unathletic for an NBA player. He gets blocked at the rim a lot and only shoots 59% from 0-3 feet. That's not good

He looks plenty athletic on the boards. He has quite a bit of range and often grabs boards that are not in his immediate zone. Gets up off the floor quite well on those. Runs the floor well...

I think getting blocked and shooting poorly in close is a function of two things. I think that knowing he has been afforded his last/best opportunity in the NBA, he is still feeling the nerves of a new guy not just to the Spurs but to the starting unit. Plus, I think he has poor instincts/moves around the basket. During his career he hasn't really been known as an inside player. That's one reason his rebounding has been a very pleasant surprise.

buttsR4rebounding
01-13-2020, 08:24 PM

So we have the 2 worst starters in the league, DJM has underwhelmed, White has regressed, IV doesn’t play enough yet we are likely going to make the playoffs, but DeRozan needs to be traded for a bag of Doritos.

slick'81
01-13-2020, 08:25 PM
So we have the 2 worst starters in the league, DJM has underwhelmed, White has regressed, IV doesn’t play enough yet we are likely going to make the playoffs, but DeRozan needs to be traded for a bag of Doritos.

Spurs would be lucky to get cool ranch,tbh

RC_Drunkford
01-13-2020, 08:40 PM
He looks plenty athletic on the boards. He has quite a bit of range and often grabs boards that are not in his immediate zone. Gets up off the floor quite well on those. Runs the floor well...

I think getting blocked and shooting poorly in close is a function of two things. I think that knowing he has been afforded his last/best opportunity in the NBA, he is still feeling the nerves of a new guy not just to the Spurs but to the starting unit. Plus, I think he has poor instincts/moves around the basket. During his career he hasn't really been known as an inside player. That's one reason his rebounding has been a very pleasant surprise.

Lyles has excellent size and length for a power forward, measuring 6-10 in shoes, with a strong 235 pound frame, and a huge 7-3 ½ wingspan. He is a fluid and mobile big man, but not overly quick or explosive, lacking a degree of athleticism that may limit his long-term upside to a certain extent. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Trey-Lyles-7157/ ©DraftExpress

slick'81
01-13-2020, 08:50 PM
4 ppg and 5 boards,41% fg and 33% from 3 -def didnt see that coming

sasaint
01-13-2020, 08:51 PM
I am not arguing that Trey is super-athletic, but he is definitely NBA athletic. I don't think he is OVERLY quick or explosive, but he has plenty of athleticism for a starting PF in the NBA. I just pointed out a couple of areas where he seemed pretty athletic, which seems consistent with what DraftExpress stated in citing his huge wingspan and fluidity. Any disagreement I have with DraftExpress is pretty miniscule. He will never be a star, but I think he has what it takes to be a slightly better than middling PF, which is what I am hoping for.

sasaint
01-13-2020, 08:58 PM
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/head-coach-quin-snyder-of-the-utah-jazz-talks-with-trey-lyles-of-the-picture-id493819104?k=6&m=493819104&s=612x612&w=0&h=_MuFvLfg-mOxBuEegZmAPUlqdArXe1NWSW2pxq3suUw=

This guy is the Former TOROS head Coach Quin Snyder who is the OG Spurs Developmental GURU..

Because of his Results in the G Leage he got his gig at Utah where he continued to Develop Talent.

Quin gets there and Turns Rudy Gorbert from a nice project guy into a Double Double threat for Tripple double Rebounds Blocks and Points Guy and 2x Defensive Player of the YEAR.

Trey had his Time with him and Flopped. In fact in 288 nba games Trey Played in prior to ENDING UP WITH THE SPURS he only started in 41.

In his last 3 years he was only GOOD ENOUGH to start 8 of 208.

What Happens when get gets in front of Poop?

He starts 28 of 38 games for Pop and the Spurs.

He has had his time and the ONLY REASON he is even in the league is because of pops fetish of playing WASHED PLAYERS

No amount of Spurs Developmental Pixie dust can turn this TURD into Chocolate Ganache

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENi2LwNWsAMUwj-?format=png&name=large

I concede your arguments are excellent regarding his failure to develop. But Pop actually has 2 (possibly more...) fetishes. In addition to playing washed up vets, he likes to resurrect guys who have not lived up to their potential. I hope Trey is the PF version of Danny Green. OK, I am probably betting against the odds. I am aware of this penchant, and that's one reason I don't go to Vegas very often. :lol

BD24
01-13-2020, 09:15 PM
Who said they were the two worst starters in the league you baby back bitch.

sasaint
01-14-2020, 12:37 AM
https://youtu.be/7kmfJDyz0T8

Teaching Point For the Spurs(pop really) and all lickers on Spurstalk

TRUST THE INTEL

Quin Snyder

Richard Jefferson

Channing Frye

All had lintel on this TURD All with CLOSE SPURS TIES but he still on the team..... Thats one of the reasons why this team is Poverty Ball Level. Entropy is a motherfucker.

Not sure what took the refs so long... :lol

Not sure that is "INTEL" though... I was expecting some quotes from those sauces.

Anyhow, I am still hoping the signing pays off - not betting, but hoping.

XDT76
01-14-2020, 05:11 AM
Are you guys sure Lyles is no good, I understand from ST that Spurs will only be better if we trade our players for lottery pick. Lyles was a lottery pick, he cannot be bad.

duncan2k5
01-14-2020, 06:52 AM
I've been saying Lyle's was trash from the beginning of the season, and I'm glad some of u are finally getting the point... The guy is a 3rd string player... at best... Someone like Nunn is a pleasant surprise... Lyles is a disappointment

RC_Drunkford
01-14-2020, 08:33 AM
Are you guys sure Lyles is no good, I understand from ST that Spurs will only be better if we trade our players for lottery pick. Lyles was a lottery pick, he cannot be bad.

Not complete trash, but if you start him he's by far the worst starting PF in the NBA. I like him as a bench piece which would also make his job easier, but we got Rudy Gay there

Coach X
01-14-2020, 07:12 PM
I like Liles. I think he's our best option in the starting PF. It doesn't mean he needs to play 20-25 minutes but he can do it depending on the opponent.

Liles provides spacing and not only because he shots threes but because he can put the ball on the ground and finish or pass decently. There is zero problem if he is not getting the ball because the starters are making all the shots, he keeps playing defense and rebounding. At the same time, he's shooting more and more confidently when needed. He runs the court well and finishes correctly in fast break. Usually gets some offensive rebounds, facilitating good second options for the team.

Defensively, he does his job. He can't stop an all-star one on one, but he has good concentration, positioning and fundamentals so he's not a liability like Forbes. He's not too athletic but he's not too small or too slow and he has good basketball IQ, which balances the overall. He works well under the boards, rebounding or boxing out.

Trey Liles probably isn't a starter caliber player in the NBA but he's a serviceable player that fills well the starting PF in our team. The starting line up needs to get rid of Forbes and all the stats will get better. Every player sharing the court with Forbes hurts his numbers. I don't see any problem on Liles playing 15 minutes, 6-8 at the starting the 1st and the 3rd and even some 4th minutes if the game is going well for him.

I would rather trade/sell Gay than him, the value/salary is much better in Liles, who could fit very well in the second unit for a much lower price. Thinking on addind a true starting PF to this team? You need to look at Rudy's salary. Trey Liles is doing very well on his first season in San Antonio. For a bag of peanuts.

Samanic? I love him but he needs time. Metu? Might be an option but not ready to start at all yet. I hope he has an opportunity during the season beacuase of injuries/rest. We shall see then.

duncan2k5
01-14-2020, 07:56 PM
If Saminic or Metu were starting and playing like Lyles, we would call them a bust and say they need to be in the G-league

Coach X
01-15-2020, 07:22 PM
Sure lets give this dope ten thousand more minutes to make our minds..

when this guy averages 10 pts a game will be the first time since high school he's done it in organized basketball
not college
not in Utah
not Denver
and For Fuckin sure Not in San Antonio

Fucking "Coach X"

LOL

https://i.gifer.com/Itqe.gif

Kawhi Leonard
01-15-2020, 09:09 PM
Fucking "Coach X"

LOL

lmao

JeffDuncan
01-15-2020, 11:12 PM
Lyles as a shooter is behind Bryn "Chuckup" (or is that "Upchuck?") Forbes, DeRozan, Aldridge, and Murray, in order of priority. He's a very distant fifth option. It's surprising Lyles ever gets a chance to shoot. Considering the situation, anybody who whines about Lyles not scoring very much is, well, let's just say, not very bright.

John B
01-15-2020, 11:51 PM
Tbh Lyles has exceeded expectations. People keeps comparing him to a 15 mil signing. Yet even then Lyles showed great understanding of Spurs plays from day 1. He is still very young and has plenty of upward potentials if properly guided, especially with Timmy in the staff. Very mobile, who can shoot, pass, great bball iq. A poor Diaw but has potential to be more physical. Can compliment well with Poeltl skills.

duncan2k5
01-16-2020, 01:45 AM
Tbh Lyles has exceeded expectations. People keeps comparing him to a 15 mil signing. Yet even then Lyles showed great understanding of Spurs plays from day 1. He is still very young and has plenty of upward potentials if properly guided, especially with Timmy in the staff. Very mobile, who can shoot, pass, great bball iq. A poor Diaw but has potential to be more physical. Can compliment well with Poeltl skills.

U can't be serious...most of the time u don't even know he is on the court...he is so low impact

RC_Drunkford
01-16-2020, 06:59 PM

Yes Lyles is versatile, but where exactly is he elite? Nowhere and that's the point. He can do a lot of things decently, but he ain't elite at anything. Rebounding might be his best skill.

Leetonidas
01-16-2020, 07:03 PM
Yeah I've seen enough. This dude is not a starter or even a backup. He should be playing the Austin Daye role. And the Spurs start him :lol. His rebounding has been nice. He isn't terrible or anything. He is just nowhere near a starting caliber player and isn't really that good at anything it seems like. Just decent at a few things

EasyMoney
01-16-2020, 07:17 PM
Lyle's is not starter material. 2nd unit at best, and that is being generous. He could really use time in the g league to build up consistency but he will never accept it. He does everything okay and nothing stands out except his rebounding.

John B
01-17-2020, 06:01 AM
Lyles is a starter who doesn’t demand the ball, a role player. With Demar, Aldridge, Murray, Bryn :bang who all demand the ball, he is the least who demand touches, so what do people expect? The guy fills the role. Sure I like him to be more aggressive especially on the defensive end like Poeltl. But unlike Poeltl, he can shoot outside shots, drives the ball, create and pass. IF he plays to his potentials, the guy could be a top starter in the league with his skill set and bball IQ. It’s his 1st year and already knows the system. He seems to get along with his peers and enjoy being here. He has bought in to Pop. And again with the luxury of Timmy to guide him, I just know he’ll keep improving.

Dejounte
01-17-2020, 06:59 AM
I dont know why people even argue about Lyles as if he is the source of our problems. Him starting or playing is the least of our issues.

Shakril
01-17-2020, 07:02 AM
I dont know why people even argue about Lyles as if he is the source of our problems. Him starting or playing is the least of our issues.

I Agree. i dont like that he starts in front of Poeltl, but at least he is contributing something. Forbes is the biggest problem since Belinelli got benched.

Dejounte
01-17-2020, 09:14 AM
I Agree. i dont like that he starts in front of Poeltl, but at least he is contributing something. Forbes is the biggest problem since Belinelli got benched.

Yeah. We are not winning because of Lyles but we are also not losing because of Lyles.

Calling him a scrub is pointless and just shows posters being hateful for the sake of being hateful.

RC_Drunkford
01-17-2020, 11:53 PM
19 minutes, 0 points against the HAWKS. B-b-b-but he's a solid starter

JeffDuncan
01-18-2020, 12:12 AM
19 minutes, 0 points against the HAWKS. B-b-b-but he's a solid starter

Oh, you know better than that. You know perfectly well that Forbes always has the green light, then it's DDR and LMA, and then there's Murray who's working on his shooting. Expecting Lyles to score very much, if at all, is foolish, with the way things are in Pop's lineup.

Lyles only took 3 shots, while Forbes, our supposed shooting specialist, went 2 for 9, and it's Lyles you're whining about? C'mon now.

Speaking of the 19 minutes, Lyles had twice as many rebounds as Poeltl in one less minute. Poeltl played 20. Do you have anything to say about that?

gambit1990
01-18-2020, 12:13 AM
i never thought this guy would amount to anything. same with forbes.

timtonymanu
01-18-2020, 01:22 AM

:lmao

NASpurs
01-18-2020, 01:41 AM

:lmao

:lol Can you imagine being the one that typed that and also being serious? How embarrassing.

cool cat
01-18-2020, 02:58 AM
The guy couldn’t even get on the court with Denver and is a starter here... This is probably the most egregious coaching error from Pop. Worse then starting forbes, worse then playing Beil over walker and those are two terrible decisions.

RC_Drunkford
01-18-2020, 06:23 AM
Oh, you know better than that. You know perfectly well that Forbes always has the green light, then it's DDR and LMA, and then there's Murray who's working on his shooting. Expecting Lyles to score very much, if at all, is foolish, with the way things are in Pop's lineup.

Lyles only took 3 shots, while Forbes, our supposed shooting specialist, went 2 for 9, and it's Lyles you're whining about? C'mon now.

Speaking of the 19 minutes, Lyles had twice as many rebounds as Poeltl in one less minute. Poeltl played 20. Do you have anything to say about that?

he got 3 shots cause he gave up a couple of lay ups and instead passed the ball out to the 3-point line. B-b-b-but his Basketball IQ:cry

JeffDuncan
01-18-2020, 11:30 AM
he got 3 shots cause he gave up a couple of lay ups and instead passed the ball out to the 3-point line. B-b-b-but his Basketball IQ:cry

What? Guy, look at the lineup.

And you have nothing at all to say about him getting twice the rebounds of Poeltl in less time?

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-22-2020, 04:11 PM
https://youtu.be/baJLjwc91Rk

This DUDE is our STARTING Power Forward....... He ain't even better than Bonner.....

Utah was only down 44 in that game and working hard...it's the effort that matters, and Lyles is the kind of team player that scores "participation" points in Pop's book. And don't knock Bonner...he's probably going to have his jersey retired at the AT&T right next to Forbes' some day.

Truth4sale$
01-22-2020, 04:17 PM
I am still unsure how the hell did he as a new player surpass Chimeze Metu? Everything I see of Metu, he should be starting over Lyles. I believe our defense would improve just with the rim protection.

ceperez
01-22-2020, 04:50 PM
I am still unsure how the hell did he as a new player surpass Chimeze Metu? Everything I see of Metu, he should be starting over Lyles. I believe our defense would improve just with the rim protection.

Lyles is just two years older than Metu. Metu certainly has more talent and likely be a better player than Lyles 2 years from now.

look_at_g_shred
01-22-2020, 05:56 PM
If the dude could hit the 3 at a consistent clip he'd be a good role player, but that's just it. Try to find anyone on the spurs outside Forbes that can hit the 3 consistently. That's the problem with this team and "system" its so outdated. When your so called 2 best players (DDR/LMA) don't shoot the 3, its much easier for the defense to defend an archaic offense.

RC_Drunkford
01-22-2020, 06:39 PM
If the dude could hit the 3 at a consistent clip he'd be a good role player, but that's just it. Try to find anyone on the spurs outside Forbes that can hit the 3 consistently. That's the problem with this team and "system" its so outdated. When your so called 2 best players (DDR/LMA) don't shoot the 3, its much easier for the defense to defend an archaic offense.

I got news for you: Aldridge shoots the 3

wildbill2u
01-22-2020, 08:07 PM
A Pleasant Surprise no one will notice going

John B
01-23-2020, 02:24 AM
The guy's fine. He can rebound, shoot the 3, push the ball. He needs better defense I agree. Hopefully that's where Timmy comes in.
But Lyles is the closest stretch 4 we got, and with LMA shooting the 3, they open the lanes to our slashers

RC_Drunkford
03-10-2020, 09:49 PM
In the last 12 games

12.1 Pts 5.9 RB 1.2 AST 1.1 ST 0.8 BL 51.4% FG 48.9% 3P in 29.7 minutes. Now you can say he's a pleasant surprise. He has definitely stepped up

duncan2k5
03-13-2020, 06:28 PM
In the last 12 games

12.1 Pts 5.9 RB 1.2 AST 1.1 ST 0.8 BL 51.4% FG 48.9% 3P in 29.7 minutes. Now you can say he's a pleasant surprise. He has definitely stepped up

LMFAO! U ppl are easily swayed ...u would have probably given Tony Delk a Max contract after his 50 point game back in the day...for goodness sakes he had two bad games by starting pf standards, but he sucks so bad that they're considered good games for him... Smh

FkLA
03-13-2020, 06:43 PM
Never got on the Lyles hate bandwagon even when he wasn't hitting threes early in the season. He looks like a solid pro to me. Jack of all trades kind of guy. His stroke looks sweet too, I think he can eventually be a 40%+ three-point shooter.

Some people just aren't capable of looking past boxscores. The tools were always there. He was trying to find his place on the team early on.

slick'81
03-13-2020, 08:45 PM
Dude has been trash his whole career....luckily he might be finally turning the corner after getting consistent playing time here

XDT76
03-14-2020, 06:25 AM
Now he just needs to hit the gym to improve his strength and explosiveness

exstatic
03-14-2020, 06:56 AM
Now he just needs to hit the gym to improve his strength and explosiveness
You think trainers aren’t constantly working on this stuff with players?

TDMVPDPOY
03-14-2020, 08:43 AM
overglorified drew gooden when he was on the spurms

ace3g
03-14-2020, 10:58 AM
https://twitter.com/TreyLyles/status/1238855625939062792

Fusternino
03-14-2020, 12:54 PM
Uh I thought he would be good. Definitely has a ceiling as a more athletic Diaw.

slick'81
03-14-2020, 04:45 PM
Uh I thought he would be good. Definitely has a ceiling as a more athletic Diaw.

diaw was a much more skilled ball handler and post player tbh

XDT76
03-14-2020, 06:22 PM
You think trainers aren’t constantly working on this stuff with players?

I know they do but during in season there's a limit to what they can do. It's that he needs to do more in the off season, like Patty came back from one off season all rib.

sasaint
03-14-2020, 07:42 PM
I think the fact that the season was shut down just as Trey seemed to be gaining a lot of confidence and consistency will definitely motivate him for next season.

cd021
03-14-2020, 07:54 PM
He's earned getting his team option getting picked up but i'm still skeptical of him.

MultiTroll
04-16-2024, 11:22 PM
Trip down memory lane.

He contributed nicely in tonights extermination of Golden State.

Drilled a nice trey. Some assists, rebounds.

Spurs Homer
04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Trip down memory lane.

GS kunts eliminated…

Good times…

poopbox
04-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Trip down memory lane.

Spurs legend kicking the final clump of dirt onto the Beige Boy's coffins :cry