PDA

View Full Version : Paul George wanted to be traded to the Spurs in 2017 (the year we outbid ourselves to extend Mills/gasol)

Genovaswitness
11-20-2019, 11:57 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2863537-paul-george-says-he-wanted-2017-trade-to-spurs-to-team-up-with-kawhi-leonard

looking for a sniffer angle on this one. we had the best player in the league, good enough to have people wanting to play in SA, and what does PATFO do? :lmao we know the rest of the story

now we get to watch a roster put together with bubble gum and chicken wire fall over itself to 30 wins

Sniff sniff sniff sniff

John B
11-20-2019, 11:59 AM
He’s trolling with the media. He had a chance to sign with Spurs in 2016 if he wanted to.

Floyd Pacquiao
11-20-2019, 12:00 PM
Twist the knife in more why don't you :lol

RC_Drunkford
11-20-2019, 12:03 PM
Should've packaged Aldridge and got him. Nephew would've stayed if that had happened.

Genovaswitness
11-20-2019, 12:03 PM
Twist the knife in more why don't you :lol

I got the notification on my phone and couldn’t believe my eyes. I think we’ll be back in a few years, SA is cool and players will want to live here in the 20s, but if this fandom’s joy is tied to kawhi having a shitty rest of his career we’re in for a bad time.

end of career pop set us back but he did get us 5 rings with the big 3

timvp
11-20-2019, 12:04 PM
Youngmisuk reported the Spurs discussed a deal with the Pacers but "lacked the assets" to acquire one of the NBA's best two-way players.Making the playoffs 20 years in a row is going to drain your assets, tbh.

daslicer
11-20-2019, 12:05 PM
He’s trolling with the media. He had a chance to sign with Spurs in 2016 if he wanted to.

Agreed not buying it that he wanted to be in SA. PG is now one of #2’s boys. It seems like a troll job by #2. PG is a dumb lemming.

RD2191
11-20-2019, 12:18 PM
:lmao :lmao spurms

RD2191
11-20-2019, 12:19 PM
:cry but det culture

Larry O
11-20-2019, 12:22 PM
Hmmm... yeah, remember this... what might have been if the Spurs "sold the farm" to acquire George? Eventually a championship? I'm sure Indiana wanted the world for him, but we just didn't or did not want to part ways with "the assets" they had & deplete the team. It also makes me wonder if this became the handwriting on the wall for #2 to begin to strategize his exit plan with his uncle, to get out of SA. Hmmm...

NASpurs
11-20-2019, 12:27 PM
Yeah but remember when we traded him back in the day?

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-20-2019, 12:29 PM
Unlikely to be true, but considering what he was traded for the Spurs had 0 chance to make a competitive offer.

r0drig0lac
11-20-2019, 12:34 PM
we had Mills, Gasol and every culture we wanted

SpurSpike
11-20-2019, 12:41 PM
Looks like the Spurs tried but lacked the assets to make a trade. Nothing Spurs could have done if we didn't have anything the Pacers were interested in.

JeffDuncan
11-20-2019, 12:46 PM
we had Mills, Gasol and every culture we wanted

In 2017-2018 Mills and Gasol combined for over $26 million of Spurs salaries.

In 2017-2018 OKC paid Paul George $19.5 million.

Just BTW.

duncan2k5
11-20-2019, 12:49 PM
Unlikely to be true, but considering what he was traded for the Spurs had 0 chance to make a competitive offer.

He was traded for Dipo... Who was seen as a scrub... No one expected him to be a star

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-20-2019, 12:51 PM
He was traded for Dipo... Who was seen as a scrub... No one expected him to be a star

Bullshit. Dipo was a top 5 pick signed on a long term second contract who had a so so year next to a terrible Westbrook who makes everyone worse. He was also a local Indiana college hero. Add Sabonis, who was also a high pick and Indiana got two young players signed on long term contracts, which is way more than anything the Spurs could have offered.

SuperCam
11-20-2019, 12:51 PM
PATFO was actually smart to avoid this tbqh. Playoff piss is a notorious choker in the postseason. Not to the level of frauden or defrozan, but a step below. He isn't gonna ring for the rest of his injury riddled career

Chomag
11-20-2019, 01:04 PM
No wonder Kwitter soured on the Spur FO.. Not making excuses but I know I would've been pissed off too.

EasyMoney
11-20-2019, 01:11 PM
No chance the spurs could have gotten PG. LaMarcus trade value was low, and everyone else they had were young unproven talent like Bertans and dj murray.

B1gduff
11-20-2019, 01:13 PM
Wiat wait wait wait.. I thought he told the media that he only wanted to go to the Lakers..... I guess instead of waiting 3 years later, he should have also mentioned the Spurs than. Than maybe we could consider this possibility....but guess what he didn't, waited 3 hole year and was ooh yeah i actually may or may not have anted to be in SA.

duncan2k5
11-20-2019, 01:15 PM
Bullshit. Dipo was a top 5 pick signed on a long term second contract who had a so so year next to a terrible Westbrook who makes everyone worse. He was also a local Indiana college hero. Add Sabonis, who was also a high pick and Indiana got two young players signed on long term contracts, which is way more than anything the Spurs could have offered.

U can't be serious... Dipo was considered a bust... Don't try to rewrite history... That's why the magic traded him in the first place... Literally everyone was looking at the trade as being lopsided...

duncan2k5
11-20-2019, 01:16 PM
Wiat wait wait wait.. I thought he told the media that he only wanted to go to the Lakers..... I guess instead of waiting 3 years later, he should have also mentioned the Spurs than. Than maybe we could consider this possibility....but guess what he didn't, waited 3 hole year and was ooh yeah i actually may or may not have anted to be in SA.

I think it's true... At the time I remember us being a possibility

Leetonidas
11-20-2019, 01:19 PM
Oladipo was not considered a scrub when they traded for him that is revisionist history there

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-20-2019, 01:20 PM
U can't be serious... Dipo was considered a bust... Don't try to rewrite history... That's why the magic traded him in the first place... Literally everyone was looking at the trade as being lopsided...

Such a bust that GM Presti gave a $90 mil contract extension?

Like I said, their offer was wayyyy better than anything the Spurs could have offered.

r0drig0lac
11-20-2019, 01:20 PM

no doubt

duncan2k5
11-20-2019, 01:26 PM
Such a bust that GM Presti gave a $90 mil contract extension?

Like I said, their offer was wayyyy better than anything the Spurs could have offered.

U do know bad contracts exist? Since when does a player getting money always equate to him being good? Lololol...

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-20-2019, 01:31 PM
U do know bad contracts exist? Since when does a player getting money always equate to him being good? Lololol...

Bad contracts are being salary dumped in the NBA. Apparently NBA GMs didn't think his was a bad one, unlike ST knowitalls.

Big P
11-20-2019, 02:11 PM

Really??...here's the direct quote from George himself...“I wanted to be traded to San Antonio,” George says. “We wanted to go to San Antonio first, and we didn’t make that happen.” – via Ohm Youngmisuk @ ESPN

Genovaswitness
11-20-2019, 02:12 PM
at the time everyone thought the thunder fleeced indy by trading dipo. he wasn’t a bust but he definitely hadn’t lived up to his draft hype.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-20-2019, 02:36 PM
Really??...here's the direct quote from George himself...“I wanted to be traded to San Antonio,” George says. “We wanted to go to San Antonio first, and we didn’t make that happen.” – via Ohm Youngmisuk @ ESPN

Ehh I guess I'm the sniffer on shift today.

Unlikely in the sense it was ever really a serious possibility due to the Spurs lacking assets ( and Pacers probably never doing business with Spurs after the snake's trade ). Obviously, we can't know what players have said privately and whether George is talking out of his ass now, but LeBron, for example, has said multiple times he wants to play for Pop and people don't take it at face value.

R. DeMurre
11-20-2019, 02:44 PM
What an interesting development... this easily could have played a role in the beginning of the sour relationship between Kawhi & the Spurs.

phxspurfan
11-20-2019, 02:51 PM
What an interesting development... this easily could have played a role in the beginning of the sour relationship between Kawhi & the Spurs.

definitely not, apo. The sourness started when the Spurs were struggling to stay in playoff contention, needing Kawhi to either come back, or declare himself out for the year. Instead, he became a little bitch when he was supposed to be the franchise leader (like he was in 2017).

spurraider21
11-20-2019, 03:10 PM
Making the playoffs 20 years in a row is going to drain your assets, tbh.
so does committing 100 mil to patty and pau

Genovaswitness
11-20-2019, 03:14 PM

This tbh

DPG21920
11-20-2019, 03:16 PM
This is nothing. Players “say” that all the time but never really want it. Not to mention, it would have taken like 4 first round picks and likely still would have been a rental.

Seventyniner
11-20-2019, 03:29 PM
George and Number Two would have both forced their way out anyway. I guess the Spurs could have had a haul of draft picks, but they would have had to give up a bunch to get George in the first place.

shazork
11-20-2019, 03:47 PM
George and Number Two would have both forced their way out anyway. I guess the Spurs could have had a haul of draft picks, but they would have had to give up a bunch to get George in the first place.
This...does anyone seriously doubt that either of these two wanted to be in SoCal more than they wanted to be on any particular team? That was the ultimate destination and they were gonna get there by hook or by crook (in nephew's case by crook, as in crooked, as in fraudulent underhanded means of getting what you really want and screwing your former team in the process)

Gibbz
11-20-2019, 04:00 PM
Imagine believing a word either of these fuckers ever say. Kawhi and PG are both pathological liars. This self-hatred train of rhetoric is absurd.

DAF86
11-20-2019, 04:05 PM
Making the playoffs 20 years in a row is going to drain your assets, tbh.

Should have traded Aldridge, tbh. Specially considering he wanted to be traded back around that time. And don't come at me with some "Pacers wouldn't have wanted Aldridge" bullshit. Trading a disgruntled star for an all-NBA caliber player plus a top prospect (Murray) and a first round pick would have been more than enough to get George. I mean, the Spurs got a lot less when they traded away a much superior player in Kawhi.

Chomag
11-20-2019, 04:07 PM

Savage!

MultiTroll
11-20-2019, 04:08 PM
Bingo.

Didn't want playoff ghost PG nor his banana boat Kobme Lite attitude, but if it was Pops Pets Patty n Pau or him.....no brainer.

DAF86
11-20-2019, 04:13 PM
This is nothing. Players “say” that all the time but never really want it. Not to mention, it would have taken like 4 first round picks and likely still would have been a rental.

Where are you getting this logic from? I don't recall the Thunder giving the Pacers 4 picks, tbh. In fact, did they even gave them one? I don't think they did, tbh.

And George resigned with the Thunder. If he did there, chances are he would resigned with the Spurs too.

gambit1990
11-20-2019, 04:16 PM
spurs should've made this happen.

DPG21920
11-20-2019, 04:17 PM
Where are you getting this logic from? I don't recall the Thunder giving the Pacers 4 picks, tbh. In fact, did they even gave them one? I don't think they did, tbh.

And George resigned with the Thunder. If he did there, chances are he would resigned with the Spurs too.

The logic stems from the Spurs having no Dipo or Sabonis - so in order to compete with a package like that, it would have to be very pick heavy. And considering the Spurs are always a playoff team and those two were lottery picks, it would take numerous mediocre firsts to even compete.

Spurs fever
11-20-2019, 04:19 PM
Ouch...

slick'81
11-20-2019, 04:20 PM
So we could of had luka,pg,cp3 and melo:cry

TimD
11-20-2019, 04:23 PM
This was reported at the time. They did not want Aldridge, who came off his career worst season, an atrocious performance against GSW, and was generally viewed as a "pouter" by all sides.

spurs50_
11-20-2019, 04:27 PM
George said his trade to Clippers was mutual.....Presti said it wasn't.....PG is yanking our chain.....screw him

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-20-2019, 04:36 PM
The Pau deal was money well spent. Just look at the banners he's been a big part of adding to the ceiling (of the Staples Center).

Ed Helicopter Jones
Oh, and PG is full of sh!t, as others have stated.

DAF86
The logic stems from the Spurs having no Dipo or Sabonis - so in order to compete with a package like that, it would have to be very pick heavy. And considering the Spurs are always a playoff team and those two were lottery picks, it would take numerous mediocre firsts to even compete.

Oladipo and Sabonis wasn't a better package than Aldridge and Murray. I know reciency bias or hindsight comes to play now that we know how well Oladipo did in Indiana, but back in 2017 he wasn't even considered 1/4th of the player Aldridge was.

BatManu20
11-20-2019, 04:37 PM
Gotta love these revisionist stories. Pay em no mind.

r0drig0lac
11-20-2019, 05:02 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
6 min
Portland has waived F/C Pau Gasol, per Gasol. He’s been unable to successfully rehab left foot following surgery. Blazers had protections in 1-year deal. Gasol, Blazers working on details of coaching role as future HOFer remains in Portland to rehab.

slick'81
11-20-2019, 05:04 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
6 min
Portland has waived F/C Pau Gasol, per Gasol. He’s been unable to successfully rehab left foot following surgery. Blazers had protections in 1-year deal. Gasol, Blazers working on details of coaching role as future HOFer remains in Portland to rehab.

Cant believe were still paying that turd

Genovaswitness
11-20-2019, 05:08 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
6 min

:lmao I forgot we’re still paying him 5 million this year

:lmao PATFO

duncan2k5
11-20-2019, 05:28 PM
This...does anyone seriously doubt that either of these two wanted to be in SoCal more than they wanted to be on any particular team? That was the ultimate destination and they were gonna get there by hook or by crook (in nephew's case by crook, as in crooked, as in fraudulent underhanded means of getting what you really want and screwing your former team in the process)

This makes no sense... PG resigned with the thunder

UZER
11-20-2019, 05:32 PM
I remember after a Spurs V Pacers game, Kawhi and George talking at mid court, then as George was walking away, Kawhi put his hand up to his ear and said “I’ll call you.”

I remember thinking hmm, Kawhi and PG, that would be interesting, but naaaaaah, the PATFO would never do that.

gambit1990
11-20-2019, 05:35 PM
why would PG lie about "i wanted to be traded to san antonio"? what would he possibly gain from that?

Gibbz
11-20-2019, 05:41 PM
why would PG lie about "i wanted to be traded to san antonio"? what would he possibly gain from that?

Pathological liars do it unconsciously. It's a compulsion.

Genovaswitness
11-20-2019, 05:50 PM
uh oh the sniffers caught whiff of this thread

Down Under
11-20-2019, 05:53 PM
'The Spurs lacked the assets'. I.e. We had nothing Indiana wanted.

TimDunkem
11-20-2019, 06:01 PM
https://i.imgur.com/bAC919o.jpg

spursparker9
11-20-2019, 06:03 PM
:pctoss

Dennis the Menace
11-20-2019, 06:03 PM
The Front Office needs an enema and overhaul. What else is new?

DAF86
11-20-2019, 06:30 PM
'The Spurs lacked the assets'. I.e. We had nothing Indiana wanted.

More like PATFO wasn't willing to give up what Indiana wanted. Everybody but Kawhi should have been available.

Dennis the Menace
11-20-2019, 06:34 PM
More like PATFO wasn't willing to give up what Indiana wanted. Everybody but Kawhi should have been available.

TD 21
11-20-2019, 06:38 PM
:lmao At believing that any American millennial superstar/star wanted or wants to be a Spur (Aldridge wanted to be in San Antonio for family reasons) or that the Spurs had the assets.

Chillen
11-20-2019, 06:39 PM

This. It's no coincidence that Kawhi's beef with Spurs started after this and ZaZa's foot.

They should have done all they could to get PG. They would still have Kawhi and PG.

Big P
11-20-2019, 08:10 PM
If George wanted to play in SA, the team should have made it happen..everyone but KL on the block, all draft picks, all euro players..and get a third team involved to make it happen..absolutely pathetic of patfo.

BWS-1994
11-20-2019, 08:22 PM
PG said he’d stay, then asked for a trade. Twice.

Wonder if he would have done the same if he did get here in SA...

UncleDennis
11-20-2019, 08:24 PM
I only thought this was a possibility when during that clippers pre season interview thing that Kawhi mentioned about trying to get PG together in SA prior and it falling apart or something to that effect. I thought he was just talking shit though because for the life of me I can't even remember a rumor of this at all back then... Strange but who knows, could be true.

spurspl
11-20-2019, 09:09 PM
No chance the spurs could have gotten PG. LaMarcus trade value was low, and everyone else they had were young unproven talent like Bertans and dj murray.

dj murray is still unproven

Genovaswitness
11-20-2019, 09:38 PM
can’t wait to watch a real team play in about half an hour