PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Jackson On Way Out?

timvp
07-23-2003, 06:30 AM
With the Spurs recent moves, I'm getting a gut feeling that the Spurs might be gearing up for life after Jackson. They want him back ... for the right price. But unluckily for the Spurs, Dan Fegan is Jackson's agent. Fegan is notorious for playing hardball and isn't afraid to send players away from their parent team to get more money (See: Anderson, Shandon and Eisley, Howard).

Now with Devin Brown in the mix, who played great in summer league and won MVP and ROY awards in the NBDL, and young players like Mike Batiste and Nate Johnson on the market able to fill the need for a young, athletic swingman ... the Spurs may be preparing themselves with backup options.

Also consider that the Spurs might believe that Manu is ready to start and think that it would be easier to rid themselves of the incumbant starter and have cheap backups. Going this route would also free up more money to re-sign Manu next offseason.

Now I'm in no way saying I agree with this strategy, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is in the cards.

:(

mattyc2422
07-23-2003, 06:50 AM
It's possible, but with Spreewell not coming, I'd like to hope that we retain Jackson, because I can't see Brown, Johnson, Batiste or anyone fitting in as easily as Jack.

MannyIsGod
07-23-2003, 07:42 AM
if that happens then i will be really pissed

gospurs21
07-23-2003, 10:33 AM
manny,
but will you be ready to blame Jax and his agent if it comes down to that.

Sports Agents = scum of the earth responsible for all lock outs and player strikes

There should be a movement to rid the planet of these pests

Just sign for the 3.5-4M the Spurs are offering, damnit

Go Spurs...

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2003, 10:39 AM
Manny if you're going to be pissed take it out on Dan Fegan.

This guy makes Don King look like a Nobel prize winner.

If anything Sjax needs to step in and tell his agent to take the Spurs offer or take a hike.

AHF

Russ
07-23-2003, 10:42 AM
Stephen Jackson flourished with the Spurs like he had not anywhere else before. His career will suffer (perhaps end) if he leaves for more short term money.

Jackson helped the Spurs and the Spurs made him look better than he is. Both will suffer for needlessly if Jackson leaves.

Hopefully Jackson has more sense than his agent.

MannyIsGod
07-23-2003, 10:45 AM
I'll just be pissed, I'll have to break something and change my name to Manny Writter and start bitching about the holting pattern.

Spurminator
07-23-2003, 10:56 AM
Not to be Captain Obvious, but agents can't move players without the players' consent. Fegan can hardball all he wants, but it's Steve's decision, and if he wants to stay, he's staying.

On the other hand, if he lets his agent get into his head and convince him to leave the team he won a Title with, good riddance. Sorry, but I have no interest in a player who is his agent's puppet.

http://www.ooze.com/finger/assets/images/jcash.jpg

Cassius Clay
07-23-2003, 12:04 PM
If Jack doesn't sign with the Spurs I'm going Ghostal.©2003 MB Players, Inc.

Uncle Donnie
07-23-2003, 02:16 PM
We need Bill O'Reilly in this forum because the spin has gotten out of control. Apparently nothing bad ever actually hapens to the Spurs.

I thought this was a done deal. Jax only wanted to play for Pop. Tim Duncan is one of his best friends. There has got to be more to this than we are hearing. If his agent is getting in his head then Pop needs to pick up the phone and convince him otherwise.

ducks
07-23-2003, 02:21 PM
these young guns need to fire the agents

CrazyOne
07-23-2003, 02:25 PM
Where's Jerry McGuire when you need him?

scott
07-23-2003, 02:26 PM
Stephen Jackson not being a Spur = bad

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-23-2003, 02:27 PM
yeah....fire that jerk and get Arliss Michaels...:lol

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2003, 02:32 PM
I'll be pissed at everyone if Jack is not brought back.

SpursWoman
07-23-2003, 02:40 PM
If Jack doesn't sign with the Spurs I'm going Ghostal

Where's Jerry McGuire when you need him?
( :lol )

yeah....fire that jerk and get Arliss Michaels

( :lol )

I'll be pissed at everyone if Jack is not brought back.

Ditto.

KoriEllis
07-23-2003, 03:57 PM
When I asked a source about this on Monday, I was told that Stephen is letting his agent handle everything, that things were "strained" but that it would work out.

I hope so.

SPURS21
07-23-2003, 03:58 PM
This move would put the icing on the cake for this off season.........FOR tHE LAKERS

If the spurs lose this guy we will be considerably worse next year, we will have regrgressed while the other big teams we are in competition have made grgeat progress

We finally get a balla on this team, someone not afaid to take and make clutch shots......
If this guy goes I will completely give up on the management team....

Speedy and jax gone? 2 young talented players who dilly squat, there is no way POP will let this happen and live

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2003, 04:19 PM
Speedy's departure was inevitable. It sucks, but he wanted to start and well, that's Parker's job here. But there's no reason for Jack to be lost. A 6'8" swingman with his athleticism and his clutch shooting hasn't exactly been something that SA has had a lot of recently. If they start losing members of the young core for no good reason like Jack then that will be time to become concerned.

Someone (ie TD) needs to make it clear to Jack that he's wanted back and that his agent is Fing everything up.

Who knows what Fegan is telling Jack? Fegan does have a record of running his clients out of a good situation in search of teams that will come up with the most short term $$$ (ie NY).

It's easy to assume that the Spurs are not being proactive just because not everything that goes on behind the scenes is reported. My guess would be that Fegan is hoping to wait until a number of the mid-tier free agents are off the board and teams with more than exception cap room (like Denver) are still looking for a player. At a minimum this would get Jack more $$$ from SA. At worst that would mean the Spurs lose Jack because they feel the size of the deal doesn't make any sense. The Spurs do have to think about what they give Jack because that will impact what the other players that the Spurs will want to re-sign in the future will ask for from SA.

One thing that is important from a long term perspective, I feel, is keeping as many of your rotation players together as you can, provided you don't have a good reason to make a change (ie adding a star). The more players you have on a team who have played together, the more continuity you have from year to year and the easier it is for you to bring in players to fit specific roles. You can look at a number of championship teams over the past 20 years and those who won multiple titles tended to have a core group of players who had played together for some time.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Spurs give Jack a substantial offer because of this. I think the Spurs now have to focus on keeping TD/Parker/Rose/Ginobili/Jack/Nesterovic together as a core unit over the next 5 seasons. Continue to bring in vets for the bench and also work on developing young talent that is drafted and 'found'. But the lower the turnover in the core group the better the play will be as those guys are used to playing together and the more comfortable the guys will be with their defined roles.

Keep Jack.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2003, 04:22 PM
Also, the Spurs' core group is a group with a lot of growing up to do...

Ages:

Duncan 27
Parker 21
Ginobili 25
SJackson 25
Rose 28
Nesterovic 27

The best thing the Spurs can do is keep this group together and allow them to develop. They certainly have the cap flexibility to do it now.

GrandeDavid
07-23-2003, 04:38 PM
SF, one other plus about the situation is the fact that Jack and Manu are apparently very, very tight and would love to play together. I make this credible assumption based on all the love Jack gave Manu during their interview together after the championship. I will kill Fegan if Jack leaves.

Nbadan
07-23-2003, 05:42 PM
Every other team that had even a meager interest in using their MLE money to sign away Stephen Jackson has already made other plans for the cap space under the assumption that Jackson would resign with the Spurs. So why should the Spurs give Jackson $5 million/per when they could just as easily get him for $3 million?

Spurs are doing it right by just waiting and letting Jackson's options shrink, and Stephen agents ego getting a gut check.

KoriEllis
07-23-2003, 05:46 PM
Spurs are doing it right by just waiting and letting Jackson's options shrink, and Stephen agents ego getting a gut check.

I don't think the Spurs are just waiting with Jack.

From what I know, they have been actively trying to sign him since this weekend. I know that Jack didn't want to look at other teams and I agree that he will probably only flourish in the Spurs' system. So I hope that Fegan doesn't ruin it all.

ducks
07-23-2003, 05:49 PM
well the shorty the deal and for less money the better

3 years max

makes him tradable if the spurs choose to upgrade at that postion

scott
07-23-2003, 05:49 PM
he will probably only flourish in the Spurs' system

I hope this isn't meant to mean that Jack turns into the next imcumbant spot up shooter. While he is good in that role, I want to see him develop his handles to because do create his own shot (without turning it over half of the time).

gospurs21
07-23-2003, 05:52 PM
I agree that Tim needs to call Jax and tell him he wants him back.

Jax needs to realize that his agent maybe screwing everything up. Denver and more money, Jax is that what you really want? Screwing the team who believed in you to the point that you were the starting SG in the championships and one of the reasons for many of the games won during the playoffs.

Go Spurs...

KoriEllis
07-23-2003, 05:52 PM
I only meant that, by nature, Jack is undisciplined. So I think that he will only be successful in the NBA in a very disciplined environment like the Spurs. I meant nothing about how he will be utilized on the court. Sorry for the confusion.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2003, 05:56 PM
I don't see Denver throwing a crazy offer at Jack but they are certainly in a position to make him a really good one on par with that the Spurs can offer him.

scott
07-23-2003, 05:56 PM
Actually Kori- it wasn't your statement that made me think that- but a general fear of how Jack could be utilized by PopCo.

Admiral
07-23-2003, 07:33 PM
When I asked a source about this on Monday, I was told that Stephen is letting his agent handle everything, that things were "strained" but that it would work out.

I hope so. -Kori Ellis

This is certainly not the first time that the Spurs have had a strained relationship with a prospective player's agent. :(

Seems to happen more often than not. Maybe that will be chronicled in the second edition of Free Agency the San Antonio Way: A Guide to Underachieving.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2003, 09:27 PM
This is certainly not the first time that the Spurs have had a strained relationship with a prospective player's agent.

Seems to happen more often than not. Maybe that will be chronicled in the second edition of Free Agency the San Antonio Way: A Guide to Underachieving.
Complacency sucks.

Um, chill out Admiral. This is all about Dan Fegan's hate for small markets and love of getting as much commission as possible, best interests of his clients be damned.

AHF

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2003, 09:31 PM
It sounds like Fegan is Feggin' up things. Hopefully Jack will realize what's going on and end this BS.

timvp
03-16-2012, 04:51 AM
Welcome back :tu

crc21209
03-16-2012, 04:57 AM
Awesome bump timvp! :tu

stephen jackson
03-16-2012, 06:11 AM
8 years in the making
tears of joy :cry

Buddy Holly
03-16-2012, 06:42 AM
Fuck fegan!

lefty
03-16-2012, 06:54 AM
" Stop bumping old threads "

- Kori

Oh I see, double standards

polandprzem
03-16-2012, 07:04 AM
How many new guests

welcome

Bambililos
03-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Great Bump tbh. Wecome back Captain Jack!

mudyez
03-16-2012, 07:26 AM
Jax was out?

bigfan
03-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Lets put the brakes on all this for now and see how he plays. Getting him was a financial move to unload RJs last year. If SJ can show something Im all for it. If he looks old, AMF.

lefty
03-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Site administrators. Like fascists, they're hypocritical in every way, but look at it this way: at least you're afforded the opportunity to leave the website.
tHIS :toast

Drachen
03-16-2012, 08:47 AM
LOL, thanks for the memories.

lefty
03-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Reinhard

dallasmaverickslose
04-07-2014, 01:37 AM
With the Spurs recent moves, I'm getting a gut feeling that the Spurs might be gearing up for life after Jackson. They want him back ... for the right price. But unluckily for the Spurs, Dan Fegan is Jackson's agent. Fegan is notorious for playing hardball and isn't afraid to send players away from their parent team to get more money (See: Anderson, Shandon and Eisley, Howard).

Now with Devin Brown in the mix, who played great in summer league and won MVP and ROY awards in the NBDL, and young players like Mike Batiste and Nate Johnson on the market able to fill the need for a young, athletic swingman ... the Spurs may be preparing themselves with backup options.

Also consider that the Spurs might believe that Manu is ready to start and think that it would be easier to rid themselves of the incumbant starter and have cheap backups. Going this route would also free up more money to re-sign Manu next offseason.

Now I'm in no way saying I agree with this strategy, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is in the cards.

:(

gee I sure hope not

Proxy
04-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Also, the Spurs' core group is a group with a lot of growing up to do...

Ages:

Duncan 27
Parker 21
Ginobili 25
SJackson 25
Rose 28
Nesterovic 27

The best thing the Spurs can do is keep this group together and allow them to develop. They certainly have the cap flexibility to do it now.

seeing as how we're at the end of the run, reading a post like this hits hard.

jeebus
04-07-2014, 04:02 PM
rolf. his leaving gave us the funniest shit ever in the malice at the palace

Darius McCrary
04-07-2014, 10:39 PM
Ahh Devean Brown. The Lost Spur.