PDA

View Full Version : Woj: NBA and NBPA Serious Discussions About Reseeding and In-season Tournament

ace3g
11-23-2019, 12:03 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1198274232754540544

timvp
11-23-2019, 12:04 PM
Playoffs back in the cards, boys

:danceclub

KobesAchilles
11-23-2019, 12:07 PM
Playoffs back in the cards, boys

:danceclub
do we still get the #1 pick? :lol

Nivek_ogre
11-23-2019, 12:07 PM
Does anybody actually want this?

Genovaswitness
11-23-2019, 12:09 PM

TV/streaming $$$

timvp
11-23-2019, 12:20 PM
do we still get the #1 pick? :lol

Pop's plan is coming into focus.

DPG21920
11-23-2019, 12:30 PM
I don’t like any of this lol. I want a shorter season where games matter more. Not more games and things mattering less.

timvp
11-23-2019, 01:05 PM
I don’t like any of this lol. I want a shorter season where games matter more. Not more games and things mattering less.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist for the sake of statistical integrity but it doesn't sound like read the article. The result would be fewer games and suddenly early season basketball would be a lot more important.

Considering load management is on course to becoming a bigger and bigger problem, I would approve of this change.

March Madness lite in the NBA? Yeah, that'd be cool and a way to punish load management.

apalisoc_9
11-23-2019, 01:21 PM
I'm a bit of a traditionalist for the sake of statistical integrity but it doesn't sound like read the article. The result would be fewer games and suddenly early season basketball would be a lot more important.

Considering load management is on course to becoming a bigger and bigger problem, I would approve of this change.

March Madness lite in the NBA? Yeah, that'd be cool and a way to punish load management.

wow. Load managment is such a fragile bunny.

lol...Load Managment is not an issue outside of Kawhi. Every other star plays back to back games save for the last 10 games.

Create a dumb tournmament just because one of your star is injury scared in every move.

NBA

Huge thumbs down

sasaint
11-23-2019, 01:24 PM

This.

playblair
11-23-2019, 01:40 PM
its about time tournaments are added to the nba.........every level of basketball has them..........nba not having tournaments was wrong for the game............thank u adam silver

DPG21920
11-23-2019, 01:54 PM

I read someone else’s notes...going from 82 games to 78? Is that part of the proposal? Because that is not significant to me, especially when adding in the games back with a tournament unless I am missing something.

I like soccer and love FA cup and Champions League but not sure it would mean anything to the players or fans

RD2191
11-23-2019, 02:18 PM
62 games. 1st/2nd round best out of 5. That 7 game bullshit is pathetic and unnecessary.

BillMc
11-23-2019, 02:25 PM

I don't. Silver making this league a joke. Took all the dignity out of the game.

raybies
11-23-2019, 02:30 PM
-i love the idea. a mid season tournament will be so good for the league. i believe it will have the potential to be more exciting than the playoffs. and I think depending on how they use the momentum it can really add more interest to casuals and hardcore fans alike.

-love the idea about the postseason playin. "wild cards" in other sports lead to crazy outcomes and insane showings of fandom. also leaves the story line of any cinderella teams who come in streaking. Not sure how much that can do in a individual power based game but would be something to follow.

-love the idea of reseeding. this way we don't have weak conferences giving cake walks to the finals. it should always be the best two teams standing in the end period. I think this will balance the league better and lead to some crazy finals showings.

-love the idea about shortening the season albeit how many games are in the tournament??? are they factored together??? but for markets that have no hope of making the playoffs giving them a ticket to the dance allows them to have some meaning.

love all the ideas. nothing wrong with being progressive in a good way. this announcement has me very excited about the future of the league as I'm a casual fan of the NBA as well as Spurs fan.

DPG21920
11-23-2019, 02:35 PM
I would rather just play all teams 2x - one home, one away.

No divisions just the best 16 teams record wise get into playoffs. All 7 games still.

tim_duncan_fan
11-23-2019, 02:43 PM
I would rather just play all teams 2x - one home, one away.

No divisions just the best 16 teams record wise get into playoffs. All 7 games still.

The simplest solution is usually the best.

daslicer
11-23-2019, 02:43 PM
I'm all for an NBA version of the NIT tournament. Where teams that didn't make the playoffs can have their own playoffs and play for a secondary championship. I think it would generate a lot of excitement for fans of whose teams didn't make the playoffs plus I think it would be good for development of young talent.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-23-2019, 03:08 PM
So if the 10th seed has a bad record but the 7th is a 50-win team then the former could end up ahead with a couple of wins? Not fair tbh.

The only additional tournament I think would be interesting is a playoff for the lottery, which could discourage teams from a total tankjob.

gambit1990
11-23-2019, 03:17 PM
tweets don't show for me for some reason now.

anyways, i don't really understand the changes but also haven't looked into them much.

the season should be shortened. even more than that though, POs seeding should go by record. regardless of conference.

DPG21920
11-23-2019, 03:29 PM
So if the 10th seed has a bad record but the 7th is a 50-win team then the former could end up ahead with a couple of wins? Not fair tbh.

The only additional tournament I think would be interesting is a playoff for the lottery, which could discourage teams from a total tankjob.

Agree

DPG21920
11-23-2019, 03:30 PM
I'm all for an NBA version of the NIT tournament. Where teams that didn't make the playoffs can have their own playoffs and play for a secondary championship. I think it would generate a lot of excitement for fans of whose teams didn't make the playoffs plus I think it would be good for development of young talent.

That makes sense but I read it as a tournament for all teams

itzsoweezee
11-23-2019, 03:54 PM
This is just nonsense to make bad teams more relevant.

CGD
11-23-2019, 04:12 PM
This would be a step in right direction. Past time to rethinking seeding altogether. Love idea of play in too.

SpurPadre
11-23-2019, 05:19 PM
Fuck this shit. A 10th seed should NEVER be rewarded with a playoff spot over a 7th seed. They're just doing this bullshit because LeBron missed the playoffs last year.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
11-23-2019, 07:03 PM
75 games and change the playoffs to the best 16 teams in the playoffs regardless of conference.

Seventyniner
11-23-2019, 10:57 PM
75 games and change the playoffs to the best 16 teams in the playoffs regardless of conference.

I'm totally with you on the last part. I don't see much difference between 75 and 82 though.

My idea to keep players healthy and sidestep the load management stuff is to expand the roster to 18 and only allow each player to appear in 66 games. Forced load management on everyone.

ZeusWillJudge
11-23-2019, 11:12 PM
That makes sense but I read it as a tournament for all teams

It says for all teams. It also says you could have an NBA Finals between two teams from the same conference. I don't have room on the page to get into all the "what if" scenarios, but if they're asking us to vote I vote No.

They said that the tourney would help make up for the loss of lucrative home games. I think they ought to divide up the teams by market size. The largest market teams would have fewer home games, and the smaller market teams would have more home games. That would be great for revenue sharing, plus level out the playing field since big markets buy more players.

ducks
11-23-2019, 11:18 PM
Make it 100 games load management anyhow
Now like crazy for 82
They want the bigger salaries make them play the minutes
Better health tech now days
If players would stay off steriods less likely injury

UZER
11-24-2019, 12:19 AM
These changes always revolve around the Lakers. When they were struggling in 2002 after 3peating, they went from 5 to 7 first round series MIDSEASON to make sure the best team wins to avoid upsets.

Now both LA teams are favorites, so the NBA wants them to meet in the finals. Stern always said his dream finals matchup was the Lakers vs the Lakers. Silver is baby Stern.