PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe the earth is flat? (serious)

DC23
11-23-2019, 05:25 PM
I read in a CNN article that, “A YouGov survey of more than 8,000 American adults suggested last year that as many as one in six Americans are not entirely certain the world is round, while a 2019 Datafolha Institute survey of more than 2,000 Brazilian adults indicated that 7% of people in that country reject that concept, according to local media.”

This astounded me. I mean, I have been around the world on airplane. For me, this adequately demonstrates that the world “wraps around,” that it is “spherical,” “round,” an “oblate spheroid,” or whatever you want to call it.

Is there anyone here who does not believe that the earth is “round?” If so, why not? What do you believe instead? What evidence are you searching for?

I am asking this as a serious question out of genuine curiosity. I really want to understand.

Quadzilla99
11-23-2019, 07:09 PM
I think the top of ur head might be flat tbh

spurraider21
11-23-2019, 07:45 PM
its an approximate sphere

Winehole23
11-23-2019, 08:55 PM
I think the top of ur head might be flat tbhSet yer beer on it if you need both hands to light yer cig.

spurraider21
11-23-2019, 09:57 PM
Chris Spurtacular

Roscoe P. Coltrane
11-23-2019, 09:59 PM
If the Earth was round a ball would never stop rolling after being kicked.

ElNono
11-23-2019, 10:01 PM
I read in a CNN article that, “A YouGov survey of more than 8,000 American adults suggested last year that as many as one in six Americans are not entirely certain the world is round, while a 2019 Datafolha Institute survey of more than 2,000 Brazilian adults indicated that 7% of people in that country reject that concept, according to local media.”

This astounded me. I mean, I have been around the world on airplane. For me, this adequately demonstrates that the world “wraps around,” that it is “spherical,” “round,” an “oblate spheroid,” or whatever you want to call it.

Is there anyone here who does not believe that the earth is “round?” If so, why not? What do you believe instead? What evidence are you searching for?

I am asking this as a serious question out of genuine curiosity. I really want to understand.

There's not much to understand, tbh... it's called rampant ignorance. You don't even need to hop on a plane, just grab a cellphone and a helium balloon...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/iphone/11360739/iPhone-reaches-100000ft-under-helium-balloon.html

ElNono
11-23-2019, 10:02 PM

Exhibit A of rampant ignorance

pgardn
11-24-2019, 09:23 AM

Friction does not exist.
Its just an idea...

koriwhat
11-24-2019, 02:49 PM
i believe the earth is round and always have but then again i never would've believed the shit i've seen while on psychedelics so who knows...

ElNono
11-24-2019, 04:20 PM
Friction does not exist.
Its just an idea...

It's actually more retarded than that. It implies gravity doesn't exist on an object with round mass. Einstein was deep state and his math is all fake news.

pgardn
11-24-2019, 07:25 PM
It's actually more retarded than that. It implies gravity doesn't exist on an object with round mass. Einstein was deep state and his math is all fake news.

This is actually sort of interesting.

Actually, if the Earth had a frictionless surface the ball would keep moving across the surface of the earth and orbit continuously at the surface but the ball would slide, not roll. It would keep moving at the same speed it left the foot at. Physics types do ask these types of questions and start simple by removing forces that are more difficult to deal with.

The forces of gravity and the normal force (the surface of the earth pushing up on the ball) would be perpendicular to motion and therefore not affect the motion.

This also assumes the Earth is perfectly round.

Whoa...
In fact the ball would be like a very tiny moon with the same point contact always “facing” the Earth’s surface.

spurraider21
11-24-2019, 07:52 PM
:lol chris and derp avoiding this thread despite being tagged

ElNono
11-24-2019, 08:53 PM
This is actually sort of interesting.

Actually, if the Earth had a frictionless surface the ball would keep moving across the surface of the earth and orbit continuously at the surface but the ball would slide, not roll. It would keep moving at the same speed it left the foot at. Physics types do ask these types of questions and start simple by removing forces that are more difficult to deal with.

The forces of gravity and the normal force (the surface of the earth pushing up on the ball) would be perpendicular to motion and therefore not affect the motion.

This also assumes the Earth is perfectly round.

Whoa...
In fact the ball would be like a very tiny moon with the same point contact always “facing” the Earth’s surface.

What you call the 'normal force' is the centrifugal force (aka centripetal acceleration), and as anybody that paid attention in physics class, it's higher on the equator and lower on the poles (because the earth's spin axis is on the poles, despite some minor drift because it's not perfectly round), which is another way to attest the Earth is indeed round. Unfortunately, Gravimeters are extremely expensive, otherwise, it would also be a simple way to debunk this stupidity.

pgardn
11-24-2019, 09:41 PM
What you call the 'normal force' is the centrifugal force (aka centripetal acceleration), and as anybody that paid attention in physics class, it's higher on the equator and lower on the poles (because the earth's spin axis is on the poles, despite some minor drift because it's not perfectly round), which is another way to attest the Earth is indeed round. Unfortunately, Gravimeters are extremely expensive, otherwise, it would also be a simple way to debunk this stupidity.

Please do not read the following unless... you are... different and bored.

Centrifugal force is actually a fictional force (It’s really just a feeling that an object “wants” to move outward when in reality the inertia of a mass “wants” a mass to keep moving in a straight line instead of, say, a circle) Centripetal force is any force or forces that keep an object moving in a circular path. So in the case of the ball, gravity, a field force, keeps the ball moving in a circular path. The reason the ball does not spiral in is because the electrons in the atoms of the surface of the earth repel the electrons in the atoms of the ball and vice versa. The electric fields really repel each other, atoms don’t actually touch. This is why the third law works on the atomic level. (We can make atoms or their constituents theoretically touch other in particle accelerators but that’s another story). This is what we call the normal force on the ball from earth, The so called touching each other, but since the ball is the mass we are interested in making the circle we call it the normal force on the ball by the earth.

Anyways, the gravitational force provides the centripetal force keeping our ball from leaving the surface and the normal force keeps the ball from spiraling in. If the earth were to just disappear, but it’s gravitational field remain in place (good luck with that), the ball would spiral in if already moving, or just drop towards the center if not.

I AM SO SORRY for all the detail but I can’t help it. Because the fun in science is saying this is what should happen if we do this. And then we test it, or if we can’t, look for the experiment already carried out in the natural phenomena around us.

I think about some of the simple mechanical physics as a hobby or maybe it’s some sort of neurosis. Or a get away from biochemistry.

In closing, i would would like to apologize to the board for my brevity.

dnr;tl

Spurtacular
11-25-2019, 03:34 PM
Chris (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=1656) Spurtacular (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49615)

The establishment put this out there to water down the real conspiracies.

:lmao Lite

SpursforSix
11-25-2019, 03:49 PM
Friction does not exist.
Its just an idea...

Bend over, I'll fucking disprove this.

spurraider21
11-25-2019, 03:52 PM
The establishment put this out there to water down the real conspiracies.

:lmao Lite
so what's your take on the subject?

Spurtacular
11-25-2019, 04:02 PM
so what's your take on the subject?

I just told you my take on the subject. And if me or anyone says they believe in it, you'll use that as indicators that real conspiracies such as 911, Kennedy, etc. are bull shit. You want your convenient out, Lite.

spurraider21
11-25-2019, 04:49 PM
I just told you my take on the subject. And if me or anyone says they believe in it, you'll use that as indicators that real conspiracies such as 911, Kennedy, etc. are bull shit. You want your convenient out, Lite.
Thread title: Do you believe the earth is flat?

you haven't given your take on the subject

RandomGuy
11-25-2019, 05:26 PM
its an approximate sphere

oblate spheroid is the term, I think.

RandomGuy
11-25-2019, 05:27 PM

Some flat earthers did exactly that. Paid $25,000 or so for the instrument. And found their measurement was exactly what was predicted by a spherical earth. :rollin

Spurtacular
11-25-2019, 05:28 PM
Thread title: Do you believe the earth is flat?

you haven't given your take on the subject

Cos you are unable to glean my take from what I've said, Troglodyte Lite?

RandomGuy
11-25-2019, 05:30 PM

"real conspiracies such as 9-11"

What is your theory?

Spurtacular
11-25-2019, 05:38 PM
"real conspiracies such as 9-11"

What is your theory?

We know all about your 911 sperm shielding thread, random cuck. I'll go there if I want to watch you sperm shield on the subject.

RandomGuy
11-25-2019, 05:47 PM
We know all about your 911 sperm shielding thread, random cuck. I'll go there if I want to watch you sperm shield on the subject.

Damn, Chumpdumper is right. You fold quicker than a $2 lawn chair.

spurraider21
11-25-2019, 05:54 PM
Cos you are unable to glean my take from what I've said, Troglodyte Lite?
why are you so scared to state it outright? just making room to hedge

RandomGuy
11-25-2019, 06:01 PM

Checked. You didn't have a theory there either. Not two years ago, not today.

Again, Chumpy has you pegged on this one. Or I do. I think my theory is pretty sound, i.e. you don't really believe it was "an inside job", and are just being a dipshit about it to troll people, and not even very well at that.

FlAVaK
11-25-2019, 06:32 PM

pgardn
11-25-2019, 10:19 PM

Butt would it feel good...?

Friction is the great energy transfer machine that turns many forms of mechanical energy to heat.

boutons_deux
11-25-2019, 11:10 PM
What If the Earth Was Flat?

https://www.livescience.com/what-if-flat-earth.html (https://www.livescience.com/what-if-flat-earth.html)

Led by the ignorant evangelical Bible humpers, ignorant Americans make up ANY OLD SHIT and believe it.

TheGreatYacht
11-25-2019, 11:43 PM
https://youtu.be/22ezD5l2SQU

TheGreatYacht
11-25-2019, 11:44 PM
https://youtu.be/_-HhCwYD7rc

spurraider21
11-26-2019, 02:21 AM
TGY not answering the question. just spamming youtubes

ElNono
11-26-2019, 03:46 AM
Some flat earthers did exactly that. Paid $25,000 or so for the instrument. And found their measurement was exactly what was predicted by a spherical earth. :rollin

Homeschooling can get expensive in the long run, tbh

pgardn
11-26-2019, 10:56 AM
https://youtu.be/_-HhCwYD7rc

dnr;tl

This video could have been hours long.
Or possibly very short.
I’m pretty sure if the flat earth was a massive as a our round Earth is it would slide or crumple in on itself and form a hot sphere. Every little piece of the outside of a disc would have a force pulling it inward just as on our round earth, but support from a normal force would be lacking on many parts. Im thinking it would depend on how thick the disc was. The outer “skin” of the disc (especially pieces further from the middle of the disc) would slide towards the middle of the disc in my thinking; none or little supporting normal force to stop this inward gravitational pull. So the flat earth ers would have to think up something to alter current ideas about gravity as the video also showed.

If the disc was spinning the effect mentioned above could take longer. If the disc was spinning fast enough it could tear itself apart into smaller bits (then you would have to explain how it even got to such a fast rotation.)

We need a planetary geologist astrophysics type to model this a flat earth on a computer and then let her run; could be really interesting if the flat earth ers could give a starting point disc with numbers describing it. ( and good luck with that)

RandomGuy
11-26-2019, 11:01 AM
Homeschooling can get expensive in the long run, tbh

https://www.brunomedicina.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/LifeIsTough.jpg

pgardn
11-26-2019, 11:45 AM
https://www.brunomedicina.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/LifeIsTough.jpg

I think it’s more just willful ignorance.

I don’t think the majority who do believe the Earth is round can give fairly easy to understand reasoning of why we believe it’s round instead of their better understanding of why being flat presents so many problems.

And this, imo, leads right to the climate change denial. They can’t trust people who have the intellect and background to study climate all their lives. Because they must be liberals if they are scientists... and when the press takes some of the findings and makes apocalyptic future forecasts that are on very shaky ground with the modeling.

Most people who understand our current energy infrastructure understand we must have hydrocarbons for certain energy needs because we don’t have batteries or electric motors capable of supplying lots of energy quickly. (Better said watts)
Really big loads that need to be moved are suited to hydrocarbon, rockets (some with liquid hydrogen with huge oxygen inputs) or nuclear energy.

RandomGuy
11-26-2019, 12:10 PM
I think it’s more just willful ignorance.

I don’t think the majority who do believe the Earth is round can give fairly easy to understand reasoning of why we believe it’s round instead of their better understanding of why being flat presents so many problems.

And this, imo, leads right to the climate change denial. They can’t trust people who have the intellect and background to study climate all their lives. Because they must be liberals if they are scientists... and when the press takes some of the findings and makes apocalyptic future forecasts that are on very shaky ground with the modeling.

Most people who understand our current energy infrastructure understand we must have hydrocarbons for certain energy needs because we don’t have batteries or electric motors capable of supplying lots of energy quickly. (Better said watts)
Really big loads that need to be moved are suited to hydrocarbon, rockets (some with liquid hydrogen with huge oxygen inputs) or nuclear energy.

they are pouring billions into battery research, so that energy density argument may not hold for much longer.

I would also point out that "must have" for hydrocarbon works just as much for "must have a stable climate".

Choose one or the other, but not both.

We will have to limit or reduce CO2 emissions some way.

boutons_deux
11-26-2019, 12:27 PM

that isn't happening now or anytime soon,

a report this week says we are over 400 PPM, highest in 3M years.

GHG emissions are increasing and NOBODY and NOTHING are stopping the increase.

Any talk about "averting climate catastrophe" is pure silliness

RandomGuy
11-26-2019, 02:20 PM
that isn't happening now or anytime soon,

a report this week says we are over 400 PPM, highest in 3M years.

GHG emissions are increasing and NOBODY and NOTHING are stopping the increase.

Any talk about "averting climate catastrophe" is pure silliness

I have come to conclude you are right. The fossil fuel industry has successfully funded enough plausible propaganda to where they have an army of useful idiots like Darrin, and DMC.

Spurtacular
11-26-2019, 03:27 PM
why are you so scared to state it outright? just making room to hedge

You really going to the hole for that pretend w like your hero would do.

spurraider21
11-26-2019, 03:30 PM
You really going to the hole for that pretend w like your hero would do.
not really what i want to do... its really up to you whether you want to give your take or not

ChumpDumper
11-26-2019, 03:31 PM
You really going to the hole for that pretend w like your hero would do.The earth is not flat. It is roughly spherical.

Basically that's all you need to say to make yourself clear and remove any doubt as to what you think.

You can't do that.

lol you

Now cry about it.

Spurtacular
11-26-2019, 03:34 PM
not really what i want to do... its really up to you whether you want to give your take or not

Well, my takes are already sufficient. I'm not bothered by your racking up pretend W's, Lite. I would figure you would know this by watching all of Chump's desperate grasps for attention. :lol

ChumpDumper
11-26-2019, 03:36 PM
Well, my takes are already sufficient. I'm not bothered by your racking up pretend W's, Lite. I would figure you would know this by watching all of Chump's desperate grasps for attention. :lolThe Crying

pgardn
11-26-2019, 08:26 PM
they are pouring billions into battery research, so that energy density argument may not hold for much longer.

I would also point out that "must have" for hydrocarbon works just as much for "must have a stable climate".

Choose one or the other, but not both.

True.

Bottom line is it will cost money to begin with. People are not ready to invest in the future imo.
The battery that will power an electric motor strong enough to move loads like we have in shipping are far off imo. They must be small. And if there is that much energy is something as small as its going to have to be, it has the possibility of being very reactive (like nuclear and there will be waste most likely unless the can make it feasible to have a small rechargeable battery that is very high energy; this is hard) .

We need to offer up more research in this area. Because it is very difficult right now. In energy you rarely get something for nothing. The sun of course lets us make this sort of untrue. But solar cells charging the right kind of battery... Needs to be done, could end up being very dangerous. Something that is relatively small and contains lots of energy is usually on the edge of very energetic release. Like a bomb. Its almost like the battery would be on the precipice of releasing a a whole lot of energy, just needs a kick.
So hydrocarbons will remain for some duty (moving big loads), unless you want nuclear freighters.

pgardn
11-26-2019, 08:43 PM
RG

I also failed to mention we might be closer to moving energy to the source that needs it through EM waves.
Problem involve targeting only the source you want to use the energy because as much energy one would need to do big work can interfere with a lot of other things we already use.

Spurtacular
11-26-2019, 09:53 PM
The Crying

Review all my posts in this thread and tell me what is obviously my answer.

The Desperation

RandomGuy
12-02-2019, 03:16 PM
RG

I also failed to mention we might be closer to moving energy to the source that needs it through EM waves.
Problem involve targeting only the source you want to use the energy because as much energy one would need to do big work can interfere with a lot of other things we already use.

Large scale solar satellites are already on the drawing board. Just need to solve jitter problem tho.

boutons_deux
12-02-2019, 03:23 PM
Large scale solar satellites are already on the drawing board. Just need to solve jitter problem tho.

who is going to pay $100Bs for this pie-in-the-sky stuff?

spurraider21
12-02-2019, 04:01 PM
Review all my posts in this thread and tell me what is obviously my answer.

The Desperation
you've done everything besides making your answer obvious

:lol trumpette voting present

DMC
12-02-2019, 04:40 PM
OP needs to read up on epistemology and might then get why "certain" means different things to different people.

DMC
12-02-2019, 04:43 PM

And now, for something completely different: The sound of a man losing his ass cherry, in a deer blind, to SfS...

"uuuuuuuhhh... oooooooooh... spit on it you masochistic fuck!"

Blake
12-02-2019, 05:45 PM
And now, for something completely different: The sound of a man losing his ass cherry, in a deer blind, to SfS...

"uuuuuuuhhh... oooooooooh... spit on it you masochistic fuck!"

No, looks like the same gay fantasies you usually post

Spurtacular
12-02-2019, 08:02 PM
you've done everything besides making your answer obvious

:lol trumpette voting present

My point of reference should pretty obvious to a law school graduate. If you want to pretend that you're education level is way below that, then go ahead.

spurraider21
12-02-2019, 08:07 PM
My point of reference should pretty obvious to a law school graduate. If you want to pretend that you're education level is way below that, then go ahead.
all i see is a trumpette continuing to not make his position clear

and trump-lite Chris has still not responded either :lol

Spurtacular
12-02-2019, 08:12 PM
all i see is a trumpette continuing to not make his position clear

and trump-lite Chris (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=1656) has still not responded either :lol

I never said I was "continuing to make my position clear," philo.

You should try to be above these nothing w's, Lite. Chump does it cos he's outmatched. You just do it cos you're lazy. :lol

spurraider21
12-02-2019, 08:39 PM
I never said I was "continuing to make my position clear," philo.
ok? i dont care what you said you were doing. i'll i know is that even now, all i see is a trumpette continuing to not make his position clear

You should try to be above these nothing w's, Lite. Chump does it cos he's outmatched. You just do it cos you're lazy. :lol
you should try not voting present as usual

Chris
12-02-2019, 08:45 PM
Solly cholly.

You're on the list.

Spurtacular
12-02-2019, 08:48 PM
ok? i dont care what you said you were doing. i'll i know is that even now, all i see is a trumpette continuing to not make his position clear

you should try not voting present as usual

My position should be quite identifiable to a person with a law degree. I haven't voted present at all.

spurraider21
12-02-2019, 08:53 PM
My position should be quite identifiable to a person with a law degree. I haven't voted present at all.
you continue to vote present by not answering the question in the thread title in anything resembling a direct manner

spurraider21
12-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Solly cholly.

You're on the list.
:lol list of people who terrify you by asking to you state your position on something? probably a pretty long list tbh

Spurtacular
12-02-2019, 08:56 PM
you continue to vote present by not answering the question in the thread title in anything resembling a direct manner

Because I won't reinforce your desire to perform Chumpian nonsense. You know my position.

spurraider21
12-02-2019, 09:00 PM
Because I won't reinforce your desire to perform Chumpian nonsense. You know my position.
l legitimately dont. nothing would surprise me coming from the guy who believes, for instance, that merkel is the biological daughter of hitler

you might believe the earth is shaped like a pizza slice and it wouldnt surprise me

the fact that you continue to avoid a straightforward response is telling enough

Spurtacular
12-02-2019, 09:01 PM
l legitimately dont.

I'm sure you're using a very legalistic definition of "know" based on me not spelling it out for you. But yes, you know my position.

spurraider21
12-02-2019, 09:03 PM
I'm sure you're using a very legalistic definition of "know" based on me not spelling it out for you. But yes, you know my position.
:lol still afraid to state his position

ChumpDumper
12-02-2019, 09:08 PM
:lmao derp won't say what shape he thinks the Earth is?

:rollin

Spurtacular
12-02-2019, 09:10 PM

Did you find yourself a nothing w?

Spurtacular
12-02-2019, 09:11 PM
Cluck

:lol Chump doing more ankle biting.

spurraider21
12-02-2019, 09:14 PM
Did you find yourself a nothing w?
its not a W for me... you're just making urself look stupid and afraid as usual

pgardn
12-02-2019, 09:16 PM
We have identified our conspiratards.

Dont expect Spurter to ever present an answer because he would have nothing to back up an argument.
Its what he wants, he cant be a sheeple. Too many people believe it, they are missing something.

Dumbass...

He is the special one, wont be fooled like everyone else.
"Im so novel and Im so wrong."

Spurtacular
12-02-2019, 09:48 PM
its not a W for me... you're just making urself look stupid and afraid as usual

So to your mind you did find a w. :lol

spurraider21
12-02-2019, 09:50 PM
So to your mind you did find a w. :lol
i dont gain anything by you being a cowardly idiot tbh, so i dont see that as a w for me

ChumpDumper
12-02-2019, 10:09 PM
:lol Chump doing more ankle biting.Just asking a simple question:

What shape is the Earth, according to to you?

DMC
12-02-2019, 11:23 PM
No, looks like the same gay fantasies you usually post

You came running when you saw "losing his ass cherry" didn't you Cuck Rogers?

Blake
12-03-2019, 08:51 AM
You came running when you saw "losing his ass cherry" didn't you Cuck Rogers?

No I'm making fun of your mind drifting off to a different place when you saw "bend over"

DMC
12-03-2019, 01:56 PM
No I'm making fun of your mind drifting off to a different place when you saw "bend over"

Should reserve that for your spouse.

Blake
12-03-2019, 09:22 PM
Forever drifting

Spurtacular
12-03-2019, 09:25 PM
Should reserve that for your spouse.

His spouse's boyfriend. :lol

Blake
12-03-2019, 09:27 PM
Forever drifting

Spurtacular
12-03-2019, 09:28 PM
Forever cucked

:lol

ChumpDumper
12-04-2019, 04:22 AM
:lolWhat shape do you think the Earth is, derp?

DMC
12-04-2019, 01:30 PM
What shape do you think the Earth is, derp?

It's probably better shape than you're in.