PDA

View Full Version : Spurs sign Devin Brown

SpursFanInAustin
07-23-2003, 02:34 AM
www.fayettevillenc.com/st...ry=5777185 (http://www.fayettevillenc.com/story.php?Template=sports&Story=5777185)

Spurs sign Brown

By Khary K. McGhee
Staff writer

Devin Brown was an underclassman at Texas-San Antonio when the San Antonio Spurs were building their new home, the SBC Center.

"When they finish that building over there I can see you and Tim Duncan leading the way (for the Spurs)," Brown's father told him one day.

The former Fayetteville Patriots guard dismissed his dad's comments. But it turns out that father knew best.

Brown will play for the world champion Spurs this season after signing a contract with the team Monday.

The Spurs haven't announced the deal yet, but Brown said he signed a guaranteed contract with the NBA champions Monday. The contract is a one-year deal with a team option for a second season, according to Brown.

"After the year in Fayetteville, and as well as we did, I thought that maybe something like this would happen," said Brown, who was named the NBDL Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year after leading the Patriots to the championship series this past season.

Brown, a native of San Antonio, played on the Spurs' entry in the Reebok Pro Summer League in Boston last week. He thought a good performance there would get him an invitation to San Antonio's veterans training camp again this season. He went to training camp with the Spurs last year and played in seven games with them before getting cut and joining the Patriots.

But Brown wanted more than an invitation to training camp. He wanted security, and he believed that playing well in Boston would compel the Spurs to sign him to a deal.

"I knew I would have to play well in Boston," Brown said. "In a situation like that, you'd like to get an invitation to training camp, but you know that if you go the extra mile you might be able to get a contract.

"I was playing well, and there were some teams that were talking about signing me. But I didn't want to get too comfortable. I just wanted to keep playing well."

Brown was among the leading scorers in Boston, averaging 15.2 points a game - Cavaliers star LeBron James averaged 15.8 points a game - and San Antonio went 6-0.

Then Brown got word that the team he'd grown up rooting for wanted him sign him.

"None of that has hit me yet," Brown said. "When you come from the (United States Basketball League) and the NBDL you just hope that you can make one of 29 rosters.

"Last year I was there and I was one of those guys who didn't know how long he was going to be there. Now things are a little different."

One of the first people Brown called after he signed was Fayetteville coach Jeff Capel, who made Brown the second pick in the NBDL draft last season.

"It makes me feel so good especially when you know guys are getting there because of their hard work," Capel said.

Brown is in Utah this week playing on the Spurs' team at the the Rocky Mountain Revue. After that it will be onto training camp with his new team. But unlike last season, Brown won't have to worry about getting cut.

He might have to worry about bringing the doughnuts to practice, however.

At San Antonio's training camp, rookies are responsible for bringing doughnuts for the veterans. Last year, Brown forgot to bring doughnuts to practice and paid the price. Duncan, the league MVP, lofted basketballs into the stands at the SBC Center and made Brown retrieve them.

This year, Brown might technically be a second-year player , but he's not taking any chances.

"If they want me to get the doughnuts, I will go get doughnuts," Brown said.

Patriots notes

Former Patriots point guard Omar Cook was to play for the Indiana Pacers' entry in the Rocky Mountain Revue. But the Pacers decided to merge its team with the Philadelphia 76ers entry.

Philadelphia, wanting to get a good look at guards John Salmons, the MVP of the Reebok Pro Summer League, and second-round draft choice Willie Green, will have its guards play on the combined team. The Pacers will have its frontcourt players play on the team.

That left Cook without a summer league team.

Capel said that his son, Patriots forward Jason Capel, will probably play in Europe next season.

Staff writer Khary K. McGhee can be reached at [email protected] or 486-3591.

DeSPURado
07-23-2003, 02:39 AM
This is a good, expected, pickup. I liked him last year, and I hope he has a long and prolific future with the Spurs.

He might have to worry about bringing the doughnuts to practice, however.

At San Antonio's training camp, rookies are responsible for bringing doughnuts for the veterans. Last year, Brown forgot to bring doughnuts to practice and paid the price. Duncan, the league MVP, lofted basketballs into the stands at the SBC Center and made Brown retrieve them.

This year, Brown might technically be a second-year player , but he's not taking any chances.

"If they want me to get the doughnuts, I will go get doughnuts," Brown said.

Hilarious as usual

mattyc2422
Sweet. Represent man.

:hat

Cassius Clay
Good deal.

TheFlo2
no wonder he was celebrating last night at Sherlocks.

He was macking on some white chic. I didnt want to disturb the brother's game.

He was just kickin it having some drinks and playing the field. Congrats Devin. Sorry to say that the girl you were hitting on gave me her number. :elephant

T Park Num 9
07-23-2003, 02:42 AM
represent SA town D Brown.:hat2

Cool shit man, work your ass off Devin.

Cassius Clay
07-23-2003, 02:51 AM
It will be interesting to see where DBrown fits in. He could end up spending most of next season on IR.

MannyIsGod
07-23-2003, 02:54 AM
which woudln't be such a bad thing, how many current spurs players got strated taht way?

Cassius Clay
07-23-2003, 02:58 AM
Well, I'm just wondering if we will see anymore signings beyond Horry. It's not a shock that the Spurs signed Brown, it's just that it seems a little early. Given that Claxton's departure is happening I would suspect they will add a point to the bench.

We've seen rumors about Piatkowski but that's been on the DL for the most part.

T Park Num 9
07-23-2003, 02:58 AM
Stephen Jackson is one i could say.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2003, 03:04 AM
Piatkowsi
Boykins?
Okulaja
Bogojevic
Willis
Kerr

Call it an off-season.

AHF

DeSPURado
07-23-2003, 03:05 AM
Cassius If I remember correctly Devin prefered to play in the developmental league rather than ride the pine last year. He really liked SA but when they couldn't garuntee him minutes he refused to sign a contract. I think this year you will see him getting Danny Ferry minutes at minimum. Horry will get Kevin Willis minutes. And Kevin will ride the pine until called upon - aka Steve Kerr minutes.

WriterNum934
07-23-2003, 03:09 AM
Piatkowsi
Okulaja
Bogojevic
Willis
Kerr

Add: Jax and maybe Batiste?

Cassius Clay
07-23-2003, 03:11 AM
Um well there's that Horry fellow.

WriterNum934
07-23-2003, 03:13 AM
I was talking about players not signed yet.

Cassius Clay
07-23-2003, 03:14 AM
Willis has apparently already agreed to a deal.

MadeFromDust
07-23-2003, 03:26 AM
Outstanding

Solid D
07-23-2003, 09:53 AM
Sporting the headband this year, no less!

Good to see him added.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030719/capt.1058643705.summer_league_spurs_wizards_masc10 6.jpg

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-23-2003, 10:23 AM
hmmm...

obviously the Spurs needed to sign some minimum players but the timing of this one seems a little unusual...obviously Devin was getting interest from other teams and the Spurs decided to lock him up...but the timing suggests it was insurance / negotiation backup for SJax leaving...

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2003, 10:42 AM
Cassius,

My list was of guys who have not yet signed a contract.

Unfortunately I think Fegan is going to screw us over on Jackson, and unfortunately for some reason the kid is listening to the bullshit his agent is putting in his ear.

AHF

scott
07-23-2003, 10:58 AM
Congrats to Devin. I've had the opportunity to meet him a few times (he's good friends with my best friend), he's a great guy as well as a great ball player.

Good signing.

MannyIsGod
07-23-2003, 11:03 AM
Devin has looked solid as hell during the summer leauge, i'm impressed.

Might not do him bad to have to sit for awhile though, like jax did.

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Devin has looked solid as hell during the summer leauge, i'm impressed.

Of course the classic response to that is "well it's only summer league"

to which I respond...

looks like he put up very similar numbers to the savior of the NBA and the next Michael Jordan...King James!!!!:lol

SpursFanInAustin
07-23-2003, 11:29 AM
Just like Horry is an upgrade over Ferry...

Brown >>> Steve Smith