PDA

View Full Version : Article: Do The Spurs Still Have Chance to Make the Playoffs?

cd021
11-29-2019, 05:48 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/can-san-antonio-spurs-still-make-nba-playoffs/

The Gist: "Don't call it a come back" ... seriously, don't.

sananspursfan21
11-29-2019, 05:58 PM
On paper, absolutely. But man, there’s no sign of the suckage slowing down anytime soon

TimmyBuckets
11-29-2019, 06:01 PM
no this team is trash

GAustex
11-29-2019, 06:04 PM
Seems unlikely
But it would be cool because to do it would be a legendary turnaround

TimDunkem
11-29-2019, 06:08 PM
^ It would NOT be cool. Getting bounced in the 1st round without a good draft pick with this awful roster would be terrible.

C-Dub
11-29-2019, 06:08 PM
Mathematically yes, other wise no.

GAustex
11-29-2019, 06:12 PM
^ It would NOT be cool. Getting bounced in the 1st round without a good draft pick with this awful roster would be terrible.
You are right but if they did it...it would be incredible to watch happen in a Bad News Bears kind of way

RD2191
11-29-2019, 06:14 PM
This team is stuck in no man's land, so who the fuck knows tbh

RC_Drunkford
11-29-2019, 06:16 PM
If they put together a winning streak they can, but since they can't even beat the Timberwolves at home I highly doubt it

TimDunkem
11-29-2019, 06:17 PM
Don't the Spurs have one of, if not, the toughest remaining schedule? Seems unlikely.

timtonymanu
11-29-2019, 06:20 PM
I hope not :lol. Good article though, OP. :tu

timtonymanu
11-29-2019, 06:25 PM

:tu Plus it would allow PATFO to run back mostly the same group for another year. Changes need to be made.

spurs10
11-29-2019, 06:35 PM
Great article. What I've been thinking as well, is if they can't get to .500 by the new year things will be tough. I don't have some great need to see us make the playoffs to hit 23 years making them. It's all about the future...which will need trades and lottery picks etc.

Dennis the Menace
11-29-2019, 06:46 PM
No playoffs and No more Pop = best case scenario

timvp
11-29-2019, 06:47 PM
Great article. What I've been thinking as well, is if they can't get to .500 by the new year things will be tough.

Agreed. As the articles points out, if the Spurs can't turn things around in December, the playoff hopes are pretty much dead in the water.

But it could be worse, tbh. Since the Spurs will know what to expect by January, that gives them time to figure out what they want to do at the trade deadline. If the easy part of the schedule were after the trade deadline, things would be more difficult to plan.

acoelho1
11-29-2019, 06:58 PM
The question should be, do we want to make the playoffs? I much rather struggle in Dec, trade LMA or DDR or both and play the young guys including those in Austin. It’s not like we are devoid of talent but these guys need time to grow. Then we pick up our first top 10 draft pick since Duncan and possibly have cap space to bring in some tough veterans.

BillMc
11-29-2019, 07:01 PM
It is a shame, because if they made the playoffs this year they'd break the all time record for longest streak I think. Now we share it with someone (almost certainly Boston or LA Lakers? Or maybe Philly somehow?)

KobesAchilles
11-29-2019, 07:06 PM
No :lol

Chillen
11-29-2019, 07:14 PM
Yes if they can go on a 6 game winning streak starting tonight. If they are at near or over 20 losses by middle of January than no.

Spurs have not made any big moves since signing Aldridge in 2015. The Kawhi trade is looking so bad now but he intentionally lowered his value so they would get zip in return.

It will be quite an accomplishment if Pop can get this team to the playoffs.

The playoff streak any Spurs fan knows was mostly because of Duncan, Parker and Manu and a little of Drob. Pop deserves a ton of credit for that run to. Duncan's an assistant coach now but all their numbers are up in the rafters now. Without those players on the court no more if it ends this season so be it, had to happen at some point. Yes Pop is going to get a ton of heat for missing the playoffs if it does happen. Spurs have no injuries and are losing games.

cd021
11-29-2019, 07:23 PM
The question should be, do we want to make the playoffs? I much rather struggle in Dec, trade LMA or DDR or both and play the young guys including those in Austin. It’s not like we are devoid of talent but these guys need time to grow. Then we pick up our first top 10 draft pick since Duncan and possibly have cap space to bring in some tough veterans.

Tbh, that is probably the best route.

Spurs are projected to have the 3rd worst record in the NBA. Say we ended up with the 5th pick, that, the 35th pick, another potential first from a potential LMA or DDR trade in addition to Murray, White, Walker, KJ, Samanic, and maybe even Aaron Gordon. Thats a pretty great start towards towards a rebuild.

Genovaswitness
11-29-2019, 07:36 PM
fuck no. all spurs fans should want this to happen better draft pick, which is what we should’ve done last year :lmao

RD2191
11-29-2019, 07:38 PM
It is a shame, because if they made the playoffs this year they'd break the all time record for longest streak I think. Now we share it with someone (almost certainly Boston or LA Lakers? Or maybe Philly somehow?)

Jazz I think.

BillMc
11-29-2019, 07:42 PM
Jazz I think.

Looked it up. Its Philly.

I may be the minority here, but I'd like to see them break the tie. Supposed to be a lousy draft anyway.

lmbebo
11-29-2019, 07:54 PM
I think we will know by mid December whether we are in it or not. Heavy schedule.

11/29 - Clippers - Loss
12/1 - Detroit - Maybe a win
12/3 - Houston - Loss
12/6 - Sac - Maybe a win
12/12 - Cleveland - Win
12/14 - Phoenix - Loss
12/16 - Houston - Loss
12/19 - Brooklyn - Loss
12/21 - Clippers - Loss
12/23 - Memphis - Prob a loss
12/26 - Dallas - Loss
12/28 - Detroit - Maybe a win
12/31 - Golden State - Probably a win

phxspurfan
11-29-2019, 08:02 PM
s2R2sH2ScBM

except for the just hope we can win a game part. Wgaf anymore

YGWHI
11-30-2019, 12:17 AM
I've said that I loved the first 3 quarters in Philly, that type of games that give me hope. Tonight vs Clippers was one of those games too. If they can shoot that well and play some decent defense they will make playoffs without doubts

Allan Rowe vs Wade
11-30-2019, 12:21 AM
I think we will know by mid December whether we are in it or not. Heavy schedule.

11/29 - Clippers - Loss
12/1 - Detroit - Maybe a win
12/3 - Houston - Loss
12/6 - Sac - Maybe a win
12/12 - Cleveland - Win
12/14 - Phoenix - Loss
12/16 - Houston - Loss
12/19 - Brooklyn - Loss
12/21 - Clippers - Loss
12/23 - Memphis - Prob a loss
12/26 - Dallas - Loss
12/28 - Detroit - Maybe a win
12/31 - Golden State - Probably a win

13-0 muthafuckas

monty4329
11-30-2019, 09:58 AM
Looked it up. Its Philly.

I may be the minority here, but I'd like to see them break the tie. Supposed to be a lousy draft anyway.

Tanking is for losers. And it almost never works anyway.

Prime BEEF
11-30-2019, 10:01 AM
Would love to take sole ownership of the record but not with this roster. Would be cool if they make a trade or 2 getting rid of DDR and LMA for good young talent and then those guys go on a run to make the playoffs.

Shakril
11-30-2019, 10:18 AM
All fans who want their own team to lose for adraft pick are plain stupid.
The Draft is a lottery, nothing else. Maybe you get someone good or no. The likes of Kobe Bryant and Le Bron are very seldom.

XDT76
11-30-2019, 10:31 AM
Yes if they can go on a 6 game winning streak starting tonight. If they are at near or over 20 losses by middle of January than no.

Spurs have not made any big moves since signing Aldridge in 2015. The Kawhi trade is looking so bad now but he intentionally lowered his value so they would get zip in return.

It will be quite an accomplishment if Pop can get this team to the playoffs.

The playoff streak any Spurs fan knows was mostly because of Duncan, Parker and Manu and a little of Drob. Pop deserves a ton of credit for that run to. Duncan's an assistant coach now but all their numbers are up in the rafters now. Without those players on the court no more if it ends this season so be it, had to happen at some point. Yes Pop is going to get a ton of heat for missing the playoffs if it does happen. Spurs have no injuries and are losing games.

Don't thing any basketball team can sustain high standard losing 4 HOF bound players in consecutive years. Last year was already an over achievement.

John B
11-30-2019, 10:38 AM
I can’t help but think that last night win was a fools gold. Clips shots hitting the front rim, and not Spurs playing great defense It’s still Mills/Beli out there. On paper YES. But Pop somehow still play too short, unathletic, no defense, who’s not really lighting up the score board. So NO if he plays the same Forbes/Mills/Beli with heavy minutes.

sasaint
11-30-2019, 11:53 AM
I didn’t think they had much of a chance when their record was a scintillating 0-0.

Ibleedslvrnblk
11-30-2019, 11:58 AM
We seem to loose sight on the rest of the west. They sit 2 games out with the Suns and Tpups coming back to reality....ANything is possible, ask the St Louis Blues...

cd021
11-30-2019, 03:21 PM
If the White, Forbes, DeRozan, Gay, and Aldridge unit is the SL going forward, as opposed to the same lineup with Poeltl subbed in for Gay, then that is actually a lineup cous be successful- it had a lot of success last season.

(Points per 100 possessions, last season)

White, Forbes, DeRozan, Gay, Aldridge- +4.8

White, Forbes, DeRozan, Aldridge, Poeltl- -4.6

Hopefully would keep this team from getting off to bad starts which would definitely help.

daslicer
11-30-2019, 03:53 PM
All fans who want their own team to lose for adraft pick are plain stupid.
The Draft is a lottery, nothing else. Maybe you get someone good or no. The likes of Kobe Bryant and Le Bron are very seldom.

I agree in the sense that intentionally losing games is not the way to go. I believe the Spurs should always try to win every game and just see how the chips fall.

itzsoweezee
11-30-2019, 04:05 PM
Tanking is for losers. And it almost never works anyway.

You couldn't be more wrong.

spurs10
11-30-2019, 04:16 PM
I think we'll be near .500 after 1/1/20.

monty4329
11-30-2019, 05:43 PM
You couldn't be more wrong.

Proof?

sasaint
11-30-2019, 06:02 PM
Would love to take sole ownership of the record but not with this roster. Would be cool if they make a trade or 2 getting rid of DDR and LMA for good young talent and then those guys go on a run to make the playoffs.

Haha! I have that same fantasy. And then I remember who the coach is.

sasaint
11-30-2019, 06:09 PM
If the White, Forbes, DeRozan, Gay, and Aldridge unit is the SL going forward, as opposed to the same lineup with Poeltl subbed in for Gay, then that is actually a lineup cous be successful- it had a lot of success last season.

(Points per 100 possessions, last season)

White, Forbes, DeRozan, Gay, Aldridge- +4.8

White, Forbes, DeRozan, Gay, Aldridge, Poeltl- -4.6

Hopefully would keep this team from getting off to bad starts which would definitely help.

How does a lineup with 6 players not have a better points/100 stat?

Seriously, I wonder if moving Dumbmar back to SG and starting DeMarre at SF would work? Derrick/Dumbmar/DeMarre/Gay/LMA.

TD 21
11-30-2019, 06:24 PM

Seriously, I wonder if moving Dumbmar back to SG and starting DeMarre at SF would work? Derrick/Dumbmar/DeMarre/Gay/LMA.

Considering their personnel, the only difference between DeRozan nominally playing "SG" or "SF", is that it makes them worse defensively. But functionally, nothing changes about his role. He'll still defend off ball wings when they can get away with cross matching and the opposition will still defend him with their best wing defender.

2nd unit: Murray/Mills/Forbes/Lyles/Poeltl. Since they're inexplicably barely going to play Walker anyway, I'd be down for this. Obviously, some rotational gymnastics would be required to lessen the amount Mills/Forbes play together, but it's easier to dictate matchups if they come off the bench.

cd021
11-30-2019, 07:12 PM

:lol I copy and pasted the lineup and forgot to take out Gay.

At this point, it seems clear that Carroll just isn't going to play. It makes plenty of sense for him to start but he's collecting DNPs.

sasaint
11-30-2019, 07:17 PM
:lol I copy and pasted the lineup and forgot to take out Gay.

At this point, it seems clear that Carroll just isn't going to play. It makes plenty of sense for him to start but he's collecting DNPs.

Nice paychecks for DNPs. Why on earth did we sign that guy?!

It makes me wonder how this team would look if it were coached by a coach who had gotten over himself...

r0drig0lac
11-30-2019, 07:19 PM
yep....in 2021

cd021
12-01-2019, 01:15 AM
Nice paychecks for DNPs. Why on earth did we sign that guy?!

It makes me wonder how this team would look if it were coached by a coach who had gotten over himself...

Really doesn't make sense, why they brought him in only to DNP him tbh