PDA

View Full Version : jakob/lyles combo

playblair
11-29-2019, 09:16 PM
i admittedly havent been paying much attention to the games these days........mostly just background noise at this point.........have they been playing at the 4/5 together all season? or was today the first time? can someone give me the stats & analytics plz because they r meshing very well this game........who knew not playing gay the the 4 was the answer to our defensive woes

Degoat
11-29-2019, 09:38 PM
It has some shades of the Diaw/Tiago duo tbh not as good but similar skills

cjw
11-29-2019, 10:30 PM
Only 34 minutes together and +9 points while on the floor heading into tonight. Looking good in small sample size. Seems like they could be effective defensively and on offensive glass (while Pop historically has valued getting back and playing defense more).

I’d caution all sample sizes at this point, as the lineup that’s outscored opponents the most is Mills-Beli (regardless of minutes played). And Demar-LMA is the one that’s been outscored the most.

RC_Drunkford
11-29-2019, 10:55 PM
there games mesh well together. They get a ton of boards and contest a lot of shots. Lyles offense is also coming along great off the bench. He let's it fly with no hesitation. Lyles is a much better fit next to Poeltl than Rudy Gay for obvious reasons

sasaint
11-29-2019, 11:13 PM
there games mesh well together. They get a ton of boards and contest a lot of shots. Lyles offense is also coming along great off the bench. He let's it fly with no hesitation. Lyles is a much better fit next to Poeltl than Rudy Gay for obvious reasons

Why isn’t Lyles a better fit next to LMA?

RC_Drunkford
11-29-2019, 11:24 PM

1. Because he has to play against starters
2. Because it's an iso offense, which doesn't give him as many open looks due to the lack of ball movement

It's mainly his offense that's better with him coming off the bench. It's also a role that he has been playing on the teams he was on previously

XDT76
11-29-2019, 11:33 PM

Bcos both likes to play away from the rim

JeffDuncan
11-29-2019, 11:34 PM

In addition to what RC said, the positioning is better for Lyles with Poeltl. Poeltl plays closer to the basket on both ends than LMA does, which gives Lyles more room to roam.

alpha_HaZE
11-30-2019, 01:08 AM
Both of them benefit playing with our second unit, because the ball moves and that creates open 3's for Lyles and easy layups for Jakob :P

Shakril
11-30-2019, 06:18 AM
Still, even though it worked against the clippers, poeltl should be in the starting unit. The start of the game was horrible, clipps were scoring in the paint like they wanted. I also dont understand why Poeltl does not play more minutes.
He is a solid anker for the defense, something that the Spurs desperatly need. There are not many good defenders on the team.

jermaine
11-30-2019, 06:25 AM
I just watched the game this morning cuz I have family time last night. I immediately wanted to start a topic of these 2 guys an seen this. Purtel is really coming into his own an Lyles to me is a true Spurs player. He does what he does without all the hoopla. Him an Purtel... if anyone is getting traded, I pray neither is in the trade. Oyeah, an Lyles resigns here. The Senate of who should start between White or Murray should definitely be over after this game.

Truth4sale$
11-30-2019, 11:16 AM
Trey lyles is playing like a guy who knew he was almost out of the league. He is also playing a more combo Forward against backups and Poertl is playing the center. Little playing is better than no playing time and he is getting a chance to contribute. Which probably helps both their attitudes. Guys wanna play. Surprisingly, Lyles is is getting more time than Metu, which i would assume he had the upper hand being in the system a year longer.

John B
11-30-2019, 11:16 AM
Defense, defense, defense. I love Gay. He can backdown and shoot over anyone, but he’s not a defensive player, never been. I thought Lyle was a better fit with his rebound and outside shooting tbh