PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Clippers - Nov. 29, 2019

timvp
11-30-2019, 05:20 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-los-angeles-clippers-november-29-2019/

tl;dr: Spurs won :wow

vavvi
11-30-2019, 05:39 AM
I criticize Pop as much as the next guy this season but this game it has to be A- for him. Come on ))))
His decisions really worked as well as his defensive approach to Nephew-PG pairing.

koriwhat
11-30-2019, 05:46 AM
:tu

monty4329
11-30-2019, 06:33 AM
It is probably a very long time since Spurs starters both took and made more 3s than the opposing starters.

Glad to see that the old man still tries to win games: some haters might be upset by that.
There still are plenty of games to play and make the PO...

A game with only 1 missed FT in total, quite peculiar.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-30-2019, 06:53 AM
Very harsh on Pop.

Slippy
11-30-2019, 07:50 AM
Good effort on D. Everone competed LA and Jacob were always there at the rim.

Finally conected at great rate from the 3.

Most importantly Demar got out of the way and hit a three in the 4th.

Just need Lonnie in the the rotation and Bryn less in it. Mission accomplished.

sananspursfan21
11-30-2019, 08:21 AM
I agree with the Pop grade and analysis. Those rotations have a bad history although they worked last night. If it continues to work, then maybe we can lighten up on Pop a little. Great win though. This is the team I envisioned coming out of the offseason sans a minute-getting Lonnie. I hope this is a step in the right direction instead of a fluke.

RD2191
11-30-2019, 08:42 AM
It is probably a very long time since Spurs starters both took and made more 3s than the opposing starters.

Glad to see that the old man still tries to win games: some haters might be upset by that.

Shut the fuck up.

John B
11-30-2019, 09:09 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-los-angeles-clippers-november-29-2019/

Thanjs for the writeup. I didn’t see the game. I was a dutiful husband helping with shopping. So I just based my reaction with your asessment. I was hoping it was Spurs defense that won them the game, and not just Clips playing awful. Defense would win the Spurs games. Holding the opponents below 100 instead of trying to outscore. Yet I still saw highlights of Beli/Mills together with Demar. And why Pop did not play Walker after a great showing last game? And not playing Caroll once again if the objective is to play better defense than outscore the opponent. Boy I’m confused.

R. DeMurre
11-30-2019, 09:44 AM
There's a reason "3 & D" is such a sought after standard in the modern game-- the Spurs finally applied that concept as a team & beat a championship contender.

monty4329
11-30-2019, 09:44 AM
Shut the fuck up.

You are so slow...don't you get it I am not into trannies? so stop wasting your time I'll never let you suck me

paperboy77
11-30-2019, 09:45 AM
Teams looking better lately but this unfortunately was the exception. Felt like when a team wins a playoff game after being down 0-3... avoiding the inevitable for one game only.

Like I always say if LA plays with a purpose then we have a shot.

TimDunkem
11-30-2019, 09:55 AM

What the fuck. Why do you want yet another year of this shit? Making the playoffs would mean no changes next year.

cascaders
11-30-2019, 09:57 AM
great read

BillMc
11-30-2019, 10:08 AM
Is Lyles a better NBA player than Murray right now? A better prospect? No matter which side you come down on it, its closer than I'd have ever imagined going into the NBA season.

monty4329
11-30-2019, 10:09 AM
What the fuck. Why do you want yet another year of this shit? Making the playoffs would mean no changes next year.

What makes you thinking there will be no changes next year? Pop will be gone most probably. And it's not that this year there were none. The Morris thing went shit but it wasn't minor.

I don't think that a losing season will make easier to trade LMA, DDR or the washed up vets. But maybe winning games does it.

I know the majority here hope some miracles are coming from the lottery, but if you think this season is shit (it is) what would you think if we were Chicago, Memphis, Phoenix etc? They go for the lottery, pick nice, and come back again and again. Lottery is a sickness hard to cure.

RD2191
11-30-2019, 10:14 AM
You are so slow...don't you get it I am not into trannies? so stop wasting your time I'll never let you suck me

Keep me out of your sick fantasies.

Truth4sale$
11-30-2019, 10:54 AM
Great write up Timvp. It was good to see the team win at Home against a good team. Hate seeing critics downplay the victory stating a "lethargic" Clippers team. I think the key to victory was the play of Derrick White, he was the catalyst last year and he could be the key to this year. I'd he can shoot the 3pt shot, there is no need to start Forbes. Move DeRozan to the two guard. I would even consider starting Murray at the 3, he might be more of a small forward than a point guard.

ZeusWillJudge
11-30-2019, 11:10 AM
Is Lyles a better NBA player than Murray right now? A better prospect? No matter which side you come down on it, its closer than I'd have ever imagined going into the NBA season.

Everyone expected Murray to come back even better last season. So much so that they had already given him credit for the improvement. I think a lot of people are comparing his play this year to what they expected last year - not to his actual play the year before. He's not all the way back from the injury, so he's not as much of a defensive stopper as he was. But his problems with decision making are pretty much the same - no better, but no worse.

Lyles, on the other hand, had very low expectations due to chronic underachieving. He's improving, and starting to show some of the potential he was expected to have. If you were able to compare them side-by-side on their respective draft nights, expectations were probably a good bit higher for Lyles. I don't think what we're seeing should be a knock on Murray, so much as vindication for Lyles.

ZeusWillJudge
11-30-2019, 11:17 AM

Good game, and good set of grades. Glad you didn't go nuts patting Pop on the back.

The only thing I'll say is that Patty letting it fly "every time he saw a crack of daylight" looks good when shots are falling. He could have gone a long way toward throwing that game away if they weren't. If he can keep it up, he could actually overcome his massive defensive deficit by a small margin.

offset formation
11-30-2019, 11:59 AM

No, no it doesn't mean that. In fact, it means that the youth get another year of experience going into LA's, DeMar's (player option) and Patty's last contract year. It means another year of development for Keldon, another year for Luka, another year for another year for Lonnie, and Murray. Another year for Jakob, and Lyles. It's how this team rebuilds while the others blow it up. It means another (relatively high compared to the Duncan era) draft pick to develop also.

The Spurs are going to be fine, in time.

jjktkk
11-30-2019, 12:28 PM

Maybe some Spur fans on here want to see the team win. Sure beats some miserable fuck like you who just wants to spew shit on here..

Floyd Pacquiao
11-30-2019, 02:03 PM
Very disappointing that Belinelli played big minutes again and Lonnie none. Lonnie does everything right last game and pop still gives a slow old broken fiat shooting 20% from 3 more minutes than your future who by all means looks ready. At this point pop's just alienating him. Pop got away with it tonight cause the clippers were hungover from thanksgiving, but it won't be so pretty next time.

GAustex
11-30-2019, 02:13 PM
Cannot admit I saw this coming.
Clips stomped Mavs
Clips really did seem hungover.
Pop may have finally stumbled on his best option for his SL and bench squads.
I would think though that Less Gay with the bench and (like most here) Walker instead of Beli.

itzsoweezee
11-30-2019, 02:28 PM
Walker didn't play, so that takes away from the victory.

DeMar still got significant minutes, so that's another knock on Pop.
DeMar plays only one-on one defense, and his shot selection was still trash. His passing was shit as usual - he looks only for his own shot and throws bailout passes when nothing is available, usually while he is in the air. He is the ultimate low bball iq player and I can't wait until I never have to see his ugly game again. Ship his overrated ass off to Orlando. I'd be happy with just a second round pick at this point.

spurs10
11-30-2019, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the great write-up. A much needed win. It looked like they wanted it and never let up. Some of these games we've seen where we have collapsed in the end have been difficult to read. Often times, as you said with DDR trying to force the issue. This is a game I hope they watch today, as it was great team effort.
:flag:

As great as the article was, there must be a typo. You mistaken said DDR made a 3 pointer in the 4th quarter and I'm pretty sure that didn't happen in the universe where I live! :wow

On to the Motor City for another win!

KobesAchilles
11-30-2019, 02:54 PM
Derrick White going 5-7 from 3 after going 1-6 is an A to me. Shows he has pride and confidence in himself and is no longer bothered by one bad game.

FkLA
11-30-2019, 04:02 PM
If White can just start making 2-3 threes per game he'd be such a beast, tbh.

TD 21
11-30-2019, 06:08 PM
So this was the law of averages game I thought the Lakers one might be. At any rate, even though musical chairs will likely continue with the other "big" spot in the starting lineup (with Poeltl probably generally starting), it was nice for one game anyway to see the logical "big" rotation.

Gay should be the permanent starter. Not only is his 3ish and Dish game desperately needed, but as I've long said, the second unit doesn't need an ISO scorer and his ball stopping cramps their style anyway. They'll get by on a combination of fit and IQ (though that's taken a hit with White starting and Murray joining them).

Throwing the starting lineup in the garbage isn't a winning formula. I get that no combination will make this team good, but they've at least got to be decent and hope the second unit being good puts them over the top. If the former is terrible, it doesn't matter what the latter does.

3&D_TBH
11-30-2019, 07:31 PM
When Golden State low key adds a lottery pick (god help us all if they get the number one overall pick) to Steph, Clay, and a Draymond, and they blow the doors off everyone in the West next year, I hope everyone in the “let’s try and make the playoffs” camp pays close attention to what an influx of high quality (top five pick) talent can do to your upside.

SAGirl
11-30-2019, 08:28 PM
“We made shots they didn’t”

All in all, thanks a lot for the grades though. Can’t draw too much from this yet if it’s not repeatable.
However, it felt good to have won.