PDA

View Full Version : Jared Dubin: FiveThirtyEight: The Spurs Have Never Been This Bad At Defense And it might leave them out of the playoffs.

Drom John
12-03-2019, 03:35 PM
The Spurs Have Never Been This Bad At Defense
And it might leave them out of the playoffs. (https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-spurs-have-never-been-this-bad-at-defense/)

Robz4000
12-03-2019, 03:39 PM
Did y'all hear them Japs bombed Pearl Harbor?!?!

SpurPadre
12-03-2019, 03:43 PM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/7-20-2018/88PTS9.gif

NASpurs
12-03-2019, 03:44 PM
"San Antonio is allowing 114.1 points per 100 possessions (https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2020.html#misc_stats::11), the third-worst figure in the NBA and on track to be the worst mark in the franchise’s history (https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/)."

What can you say about Pop and the construction of this team that hasn't been said.

itzsoweezee
12-03-2019, 03:48 PM
What are the chances popovich makes the most obvious adjustment - start White and DJ? I think he's so stubborn, it might never happen

FutureMan
12-03-2019, 03:56 PM
What are the chances popovich makes the most obvious adjustment - start White and DJ? I think he's so stubborn, it might never happen

Starting both might work during certain games if the other team is running a small lineup

Murray
Forbes or Mills
White
DeRozan
Aldridge

tbdog
12-03-2019, 04:03 PM
He meant, no Forbes

EasyMoney
12-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Just ought to play Marco more. That should solve it

Dex
12-03-2019, 04:32 PM
Just ought to play Marco more. That should solve it

Perhaps a Forbes/Mills/Beli/Metu/Eubanks lineup will do the trick.

slick'81
12-03-2019, 04:35 PM
More patty thats what we need

Joseph Kony
12-03-2019, 04:39 PM
probably because the Spurs have absolutely zero defensive wing players. in two years we went from having a roster of Green/Leonard/Murray/Anderson on the perimeter to Forbes/Derozan/Belinelli/Mills :lmao of course our defense is historically garbage for a spurs team

K...
12-03-2019, 04:43 PM
Remember last year, where we just wanted to beat the raptors at home and did, and that made the season a success?

Anyway I just find it funny that last year we started Forbes White and drzn, and were decent but inconsisten, but this year the bottom drops outt. Aldridge is old, poertle isn't playing as much, DeRozan is himself, Murray is a dullard, Forbes is fully scouted. Pop is bored and nostalgic, it just all adds iup

slick'81
12-03-2019, 04:43 PM
probably because the Spurs have absolutely zero defensive wing players. in two years we went from having a roster of Green/Leonard/Murray/Anderson on the perimeter to Forbes/Derozan/Belinelli/Mills :lmao of course our defense is historically garbage for a spurs team

dont forget the formidable inside presence that is lma,ewwbanks and lyles

TD 21
12-03-2019, 04:52 PM

Shockingly, it turns out that the geniuses magical "system" doesn't matter and that personnel does.

itzsoweezee
12-03-2019, 05:10 PM
Remember last year, where we just wanted to beat the raptors at home and did, and that made the season a success?

Anyway I just find it funny that last year we started Forbes White and drzn, and were decent but inconsisten, but this year the bottom drops outt. Aldridge is old, poertle isn't playing as much, DeRozan is himself, Murray is a dullard, Forbes is fully scouted. Pop is bored and nostalgic, it just all adds iup

Last year, the starting lineup was bad too. The bench, however, was good.

Unfortunately, the front office assumed the addition of a young player coming off an ACL injury was going to be good enough to keep pace with the West. What a dumb assumption.

weeks
12-03-2019, 05:19 PM
"San Antonio is allowing 114.1 points per 100 possessions (https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2020.html#misc_stats::11), the third-worst figure in the NBA and on track to be the worst mark in the franchise’s history (https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/)."

What can you say about Pop and the construction of this team that hasn't been said.

to be fair, there's been a lot of inflation across the board in stats bc of rule changes in the past few years so the numbers don't tell the full story

ZeusWillJudge
12-03-2019, 05:28 PM
Their .333 winning percentage will leave them out of the playoffs for sure.

The worst defense in franchise history, not just the Gregg Popovich era. A quarter of the way through the season. If the ship isn't righted in 20 more games, it really is time for wholesale changes.

to be fair, there's been a lot of inflation across the board in stats bc of rule changes in the past few years so the numbers don't tell the full story

I didn't get into the numbers. But according to the article, even adjusted for current scoring, this year's D is the worst in franchise history. Sorry... on pace to be the worst.

timvp
12-03-2019, 06:58 PM
The Spurs Have Never Been This Bad At Defense

Uh ... as it says in the article, the Spurs defensive rating is 113.4. Through December 5th of last season, the Spurs defensive rating was *drumroll please* .............. 113.4.

I agree with the general sentiment but the Spurs were in the exact same boat last season defense-wise. This really isn't uncharted territory when it comes to bad defense, sorry to say.

Dex
12-03-2019, 07:07 PM
Uh ... as it says in the article, the Spurs defensive rating is 113.4. Through December 5th of last season, the Spurs defensive rating was *drumroll please* .............. 113.4.

I agree with the general sentiment but the Spurs were in the exact same boat last season defense-wise. This really isn't uncharted territory when it comes to bad defense, sorry to say.

Well, that's...comforting? :(

jjktkk
12-03-2019, 07:07 PM
Shockingly, it turns out that the geniuses magical "system" doesn't matter and that personnel does.

No shit, ya think?

DPG21920
12-03-2019, 07:31 PM

So you’re saying if it ain’t broke don’t fix it?

ZeusWillJudge
12-03-2019, 07:36 PM

LMAO. Well I guess I should have gotten into the numbers. I really should have known better than to jump on a FiveThirtyEight story without checking. Good catch. :lol

I double checked - sadly the 7-14 record was accurate.

timvp
12-03-2019, 07:41 PM
So you’re saying if it ain’t broke don’t fix it it done been broke?

Yes.

MultiTroll
12-03-2019, 07:53 PM
edgy

Russ
12-03-2019, 08:00 PM

It's essentially the same team as last year -- the defense should be the same (however, W-L should also at least be similar).

poopbox
12-03-2019, 10:09 PM

Sure it is. Messina is not here to fix it this time.

boutons_deux
12-03-2019, 10:41 PM
19 TOs

boutons_deux
12-03-2019, 10:46 PM