PDA

View Full Version : Will Lonnie Walker IV Start The Next Game?

Spurtacular
12-04-2019, 01:41 AM
Thoughts?

gospursgojas
12-04-2019, 02:13 AM
If Pop has finally accepted Lonnie, he’ll still be used at spark off the bench.

slick'81
12-04-2019, 02:14 AM
It would take some guts on pops part but i dont believe he will, although he def should.Murray has been the first guard off the pine and spurs still have a gluttony of sg's pop needs to figure out the rotations starting with the removal of marco

SpurPadre
12-04-2019, 02:16 AM
1st or 2nd man off the bench. Forbes is going nowhere whether we like it or not.

gospursgojas
12-04-2019, 02:17 AM
1st or 2nd man off the bench. Forbes is going nowhere whether we like it or not.

I mean we kinda need at least one man to spread floor. I don’t like it but I see the point.

duncan2k5
12-04-2019, 02:18 AM
I mean we kinda need at least one man to spread floor. I don’t like it but I see the point.

Lonnie can hit threes

slick'81
12-04-2019, 02:19 AM

neither is mills,derozan,forbes or belli for the time being...spurs need a trade desperately to trim the fat

SAGirl
12-04-2019, 02:23 AM
No bc Pop’s love for Bryn runs very deep. If he does start then it would mean White is going back to the bench. The one adjustment we haven’t seen is Pop benching Bryn.

Slippy
12-04-2019, 02:27 AM
Bryn forever in Pops eyes. So no.

Lonnie starting makes perfect sense. He's proving to be actual threat from the three and easily the best driver of the team.

Team needs a spark to turn things around.

Mugen
12-04-2019, 02:38 AM
Lol I'm not even sure he plays the next game

itzsoweezee
12-04-2019, 02:40 AM

White and Walker can both shoot the 3. Pop has absolutely no excuse

Spurtacular
12-04-2019, 02:45 AM
neither is mills,derozan,forbes or belli for the time being...spurs need a trade desperately to trim the fat

Belli is happy to be getting a paycheck. Play him for a bit on any given night if you're looking for a spark. Nothing to worry about. Mills and Forbes are completely disposable; but in the mean time they should be relegated. The future is White, Murray, IV. Gregg needs to stop pretending otherwise; it's pathetic.

Spurtacular
12-04-2019, 02:46 AM

Even Gregg won't be that bold. But yea, he might f*ck him over with 8 minutes of scrap time or something.

itzsoweezee
12-04-2019, 02:53 AM
No bc Pop’s love for Bryn runs very deep. If he does start then it would mean White is going back to the bench. The one adjustment we haven’t seen is Pop benching Bryn.

Yup. White will certainly get benched before Forbes does

SpurPadre
12-04-2019, 02:56 AM

Yeah but somehow I still don't see anyone leaving this season.

XDT76
12-04-2019, 03:01 AM
No, please no. In the starting line-up with LMA and DDR, his effectiveness will be greatly reduced. He would run around expanding his energy and barely touching the ball or get to attack with the ball. His effectiveness would be reduced just like DJ and White. I would like to see a line-up of White, DJ, Lonnie, Lyles and Poeltl though.

SAGirl
12-04-2019, 03:03 AM
lol you know how Pop plays these lineup battles.

Don’t be disappointed fans when you see Belli back.

SAGirl
12-04-2019, 03:04 AM
No, please no. In the starting line-up with LMA and DDR, his effectiveness will be greatly reduced. He would run around expanding his energy and barely touching the ball or get to attack with the ball. His effectiveness would be reduced just like DJ and White. I would like to see a line-up of White, DJ, Lonnie, Lyles and Poeltl though.
Good point. A trade is needed then bc Pop apparently thinks that the perfect compliment to a LMA/Derozan duo is Bryn. And having these 3 as your best players (most played players) is leading them to the lottery.

Spurtacular
12-04-2019, 03:16 AM

He doesn't need to be as "effective" as you think. That 2OTs w/o him doing much shows how much the threat of him doing something is valuable combined with his defense.

It's time for IV to put on his big boy pants.

Geez, this Pop sperm shielder BS is infectious. You play your best guys the lion's share of the minutes.

Spurtacular
12-04-2019, 03:22 AM
Geez, if I thought for a second that IV, DDR, LMA couldn't adapt, I'd be calling for trades like no other. ST posters make themselves believe some srsly stupid sh**

MI21
12-04-2019, 03:24 AM
Yes.

For Austin, tbh.

XDT76
12-04-2019, 03:29 AM
He doesn't need to be as "effective" as you think. That 2OTs w/o him doing much shows how much the threat of him doing something is valuable combined with his defense.

It's time for IV to put on his big boy pants.

Geez, this Pop sperm shielder BS is infectious. You play your best guys the lion's share of the minutes.

This is no shielding any shit, if DDR had allowed him to make a couple of plays, there likely would not had been a double OT. DDR and Mills simply shut him off and helps Rockets to extend the game.

SAGirl
12-04-2019, 03:56 AM
Geez, if I thought for a second that IV, DDR, LMA couldn't adapt, I'd be calling for trades like no other. ST posters make themselves believe some srsly stupid sh**
ST is always calling for trades don’t know what you have been reading.

Spurtacular
12-04-2019, 04:30 AM
This is no shielding any shit, if DDR had allowed him to make a couple of plays, there likely would not had been a double OT. DDR and Mills simply shut him off and helps Rockets to extend the game.

A lot of the lack of shots comes from the lack of use in those situations. IV will be fine with use.

Spurtacular
12-04-2019, 04:36 AM
https://i.imgur.com/9nMbJnT.gif

All Part of "His Plan" lol

Dudes are apologizing to Pop about how they were talkin bout him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXfaV72yC8o

Dude loves Gordon Hayward.

Texas_Ranger
12-04-2019, 04:41 AM
I will be surprised if he plays more than 20 minutes.

spurraider21
12-04-2019, 05:00 AM
:lmao

TDMVPDPOY
12-04-2019, 06:45 AM
i think with the wing back court rotation, someone needs to go... u can get rid of belli, DD and even that scrub IB....

r0drig0lac
12-04-2019, 06:53 AM
inin any other franchise obviously yes, in Spurs with Pop obviously no.

james evans
12-04-2019, 06:58 AM
shit, as good as he played, he probably only earned himself 2 more minutes in the lineup..

james evans
12-04-2019, 06:59 AM
I'll be surprised if he plays 10

XDT76
12-04-2019, 08:26 AM
A lot of the lack of shots comes from the lack of use in those situations. IV will be fine with use.

I agree with that and sadly unless we get LMA and DDR out of the SL we are not gonna see that. If there is some way to get LMA and DDR (with Gay too) playing on the 2nd team, I am all for Lonnie, White and DJ to start.

XDT76
12-04-2019, 08:28 AM
I am happy for him to take over Belli minutes for now.

vavvi
12-04-2019, 08:29 AM
The real question is will Lonnie Walker IV play the next game tbh

XDT76
12-04-2019, 08:49 AM
The real question is will Lonnie Walker IV play the next game tbh

If this game doesn't earn him some regular minutes, I don't know what will.

sasaint
12-04-2019, 08:54 AM

This.

TimDunkem
12-04-2019, 08:59 AM
Who would he replace? You realize Forbes is Pop's new favorite right?

RC_Drunkford
12-04-2019, 09:13 AM
no he won't. Forbes scored 25 that game. I like the Murray/Mills/Walker/Lyles/Poeltl bench unit a lot. They can run, have great defense and perimeter shooting. Walker coming off the bench is fine as long as he plays 25+ minutes

Chomag
12-04-2019, 09:29 AM
Better Pole would be does Lonnie play next game and get meaningful minutes tbh?

Kobe'sAchilles
12-04-2019, 10:48 AM
I said all along that he should play the Jaren Jackson role. Come off the bench and just gun it. Don't look for anybody else's number

acoelho1
12-04-2019, 11:20 AM
No to starting next game but Pop will have no choice but to put him in the starting lineup this year. He's a difference maker and even though he's going against NBA athletes, his speed is on another level. He pretty much can get anywhere he wants on the floor and the defense is much improved. Did you see that block on Rivers. Oh my.

r0drig0lac
12-04-2019, 11:39 AM
No to starting next game but Pop will have no choice but to put him in the starting lineup this year. He's a difference maker and even though he's going against NBA athletes, his speed is on another level. He pretty much can get anywhere he wants on the floor and the defense is much improved. Did you see that block on Rivers. Oh my.

this was my analysis the first time I saw him, he has things that just can't be taught, his athletics and first step are way above 95% of players in the league.

John B
12-04-2019, 11:48 AM
I would and put Spurs best defensive team to redirect the lost identity of this team. Defense wins games. The often used small, unathletic, supposedly shooters, would not outscore anybody in this league, especially not stopping the scoring on the other side. I’d even put Demar in the 2nd unit to spread touches with Aldridge/Demar and solve the ballhandler problem without using Mills overly as PG, and fix the spacing in the 1st unit. Of course it’s not going to happen.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-04-2019, 12:08 PM
He'll get more minutes than usual. He won't start.

My Fault
12-04-2019, 12:14 PM
From barely playing to starting after one good game? Let’s just hope he gets more minutes and can prove he can consistently be productive

rogcl1
12-04-2019, 12:17 PM
no he won't. Forbes scored 25 that game. I like the Murray/Mills/Walker/Lyles/Poeltl bench unit a lot. They can run, have great defense and perimeter shooting. Walker coming off the bench is fine as long as he plays 25+ minutes

A post with some logic. I concur. They both have ways to contribute and both need to play. I believe Forbes was 10 for 13 from the field with 5 of 6 from 3 pt land.

ShutUp SayItAgain!
12-04-2019, 12:19 PM

Truest statement

BillMc
12-04-2019, 12:22 PM
He'll get more minutes than usual. He won't start.

This

SpursDynasty85
12-04-2019, 12:33 PM
Lonnie is perfectly set up to play the bench spark right now. No reason not to keep him in that role unless we play the Rockets and Clippers again (defensively should be glued to Harden/George/Kawhi type players). Love the way that he is so energetic on that defensive end now. Whether you like Pop or not, he definitely has a different intensity about him that I did not see before.

RC_Drunkford
12-04-2019, 12:34 PM
A post with some logic. I concur. They both have ways to contribute and both need to play. I believe Forbes was 10 for 13 from the field with 5 of 6 from 3 pt land.

I'm not a fan of Forbes starting, it's just that Pop wants to play Forbes and Mills and they shouldn't really play together. Pop won't start Walker in place of Forbes when Forbes just scored almost the same amount of points as Walker

Larry O
12-04-2019, 01:11 PM
I'd be surprised if LW4 were in the starting lineup against the Queens. Definitely not holding my breath on that one! :) Would be nice if he can sub in for DDR instead of Beli. This dude needs more minutes to build his confidence & bolster his BB skills! This would vastly improve the team's 2nd unit on the defensive end, but to also have a good defensive player in game closers who can also score by either shooting or slashing to the basket would be a BIG upgrade to Beli, Forbs or Mills, although, I KINDA understand Pop's reasoning for those three guys out there... of coarse for their 3 point scoring, but the team also needs defense to make stops, too, which is hurting this team big time. Meh, we'll see what Pop will do going forward, but the bottom line is: Pop, you can't ignore that big pink elephant in the room in LW4 & what he's brought to this team, especially after last night's game.... To be honest, I believe if LW4's growth can continue & improve to the point that he's a starter caliber player, perhaps this may play in the decision making by PATFO to decide what they will do with DDR & Forbs, going forward... Hmmm....

DAF86
12-04-2019, 02:28 PM
White, Forbes, DeRozan, Gay, Aldridge

Murray, Mills, Walker, Lyles, Poeltl.

That will be the rotation once LA comes back.

jermaine
12-04-2019, 02:52 PM
Lonnie Walker wont see the court next game.

JADG79
12-04-2019, 03:00 PM
Better from the bench, he bring the energy and the spark.
Hope to see him playing 20-25min.
This kid need playing time to grow and this season is perfect for that.

Poolboy5623
12-04-2019, 03:17 PM
The bigger question for me is if that game last night is close and not a 20 point blowout, does Lonnie even see the floor??

cd98
12-04-2019, 03:19 PM
He won't start, but he'll be in the rotation now.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
12-04-2019, 03:20 PM
forbes, lonnie, derozan (defacto point), pick 2 — poeltl/aldridge/lyles/gay

RC_Drunkford
12-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Murray, Mills, Walker, Lyles, Poeltl.

That's the bench unit I want to see. Might be the best bench line up in the NBA. Speed, athleticism, defense, rebounding, perimeter shooting. It's all there

TD 21
12-04-2019, 05:09 PM
:lmao I expect him to start out as the backup SF, but the genius will be looking for any excuse to bench him again quickly, just so he can be certain he doesn't get a big head because of one game . . . so anything that most can get away with, be it a minor defensive mistake or a questionable shot, etc. and it'll be Belinelli time.

DJR210
12-04-2019, 05:31 PM
I want Lonnie on the bench.. Him and Murray can be a lethal 1-2 punch on both sides of the ball in the second unit, and they already seem to have good chemistry on the break. Of course the best players will finish the game anyway, as Lonnie commanded last night

Larry O
12-04-2019, 06:12 PM
Hmmm... that 2nd unit lineup of Murray, Mills, Walker, Lyles & Poetl! That's definitely a pretty good lineup, but I wonder if Mills should go ahead & run the point at most times due to Murray's dribbling issues.
Sheesh! His handles are a work in progress, to put it lightly! But for Mills to play the two, may give him more free range to move about the court without the ball to slash to the basket or shoot behind screens, etc(?). Mills is definitely a liability on defense, but can do okay against other PG's, while Murray can guard most two's. But all-in-all, it will be interesting to see what Pop will do with this starting lineup going forward.

Spurtacular
12-04-2019, 08:39 PM

Especially since it's on the road and Gregg will make no effort to coach IV up. He'll just leave him to rot on the bench like always.

Spurtacular
12-04-2019, 08:41 PM
IV is a beast. The sooner Gregg comes to terms, the sooner this franchise can move on. I don't want to hear about match-ups, chemistry, line-ups, etc.

Imagine Phil Jackson leaving Scottie Pippen on the end of the bench instead of playing him cos he "doesn't get rotations".