PDA

View Full Version : Rockets Protest is Denied

Dex
12-09-2019, 04:52 PM

Interesting...so the NBA did confirm that the refs even misapplied the challenge rule, and still denied the replay.

LOL Silver straight up just called out the Rockets for choking.

Dex
12-09-2019, 05:10 PM
Full statement by NBA:

https://i.redd.it/4mpkp43ddo341.jpg

kht
12-09-2019, 05:10 PM
I have zero sympathies for the Rockets and their fans. It's not like they didn't benefit from an OBJECTIVE background violation call that led to a 3 pointer and Harden hooking his arms onto defenders on every drive every game.

Mugen
12-09-2019, 05:15 PM
crofl - fuck you Rockets

cd021
12-09-2019, 05:20 PM
D'Antonio keep catching L's from the Spurs :lmao

Robz4000
12-09-2019, 05:30 PM
:lol eat a dick Houston

Russ
12-09-2019, 05:34 PM
Interesting...so the NBA did confirm that the refs even misapplied the challenge rule, and still denied the replay.

Every dog gets one free bite.

Prose
12-09-2019, 05:42 PM
dantoni can't get past pop! I remember pop had a similar situation in the early 2000s with getting past the zen master phil jackson, losing I believe something like 6 or 10 in a row in the playoffs, but finally and gloriously beating them in 2003 (insert derek fisher crying on the bench)

exstatic
12-09-2019, 05:48 PM
Silver goes complete Wayne Campbell on the Rockettes. :lol

Beartrucci
12-09-2019, 06:24 PM
:lol that explanation by Silver is so incredible

”Y’all choked a 22 point lead away against a lottery team. Eat all of that L you entitled fucks.”

gameFACE
12-09-2019, 06:25 PM
D'Antonio keep catching L's from the Spurs :lmao

You know he hates losing to Pop. Its so much fun to watch D'Antoni blow a gasket. :sombrero:

I wonder how the refs were "disciplined".

Dex
12-09-2019, 06:45 PM
You know he hates losing to Pop. Its so much fun to watch D'Antoni blow a gasket. :sombrero:

I wonder how the refs were "disciplined".

Probably like a 10 day suspension with pay.

Or as the rest of us call it, a vacation...just how we "punish" our law enforcement officers

ZeusWillJudge
12-09-2019, 06:57 PM
LOL. The worst of all possible worlds. They admit that the refs misapplied the rule, but deny the protest. They should just get rid of the ability to protest altogether. I'm glad the Spurs won, and I always like to see D'Antoni cry. But if Pringles asked for the challenge and they just didn't give it to him, the system isn't worth a shit. Might as well not have it. They're making it up as they go.

Dex
12-09-2019, 07:16 PM
LOL. The worst of all possible worlds. They admit that the refs misapplied the rule, but deny the protest. They should just get rid of the ability to protest altogether. I'm glad the Spurs won, and I always like to see D'Antoni cry. But if Pringles asked for the challenge and they just didn't give it to him, the system isn't worth a shit. Might as well not have it. They're making it up as they go.

On one hand, the league acknowledged that multiple rules were misapplied...not only that the basket obviously should have counted, but that it sounds like the refs fucked up the challenge ruling as well.

On the other hand, it would be insane to wipe the 77 points that were scored after that point off the board for 2 points that weren't put up, including a huge comeback by the Spurs and two overtimes.

And in their back pocket, the Spurs had the fact that the Rockets scored at least 4 points on other situations where the refs "misapplied the rules" (Westbrook's over-and-back, and Harden catching the ball out of bounds).

It's one thing if it's a couple minutes to replay and the 2 points obviously an unequivocally affected the end result...but there is no way to clearly state that one way or the other in this situation. The league obviously doesn't want to get into that Pandora's box of what-ifs.

As most of us expected, they will adjust the review and challenges rule in the summer, and consider this a done deal.

koriwhat
12-09-2019, 07:27 PM
...the system isn't worth a shit. Might as well not have it. They're making it up as they go.

well duh, just like the whole flop rule they never uphold.

Genovaswitness
12-09-2019, 07:27 PM

b-but they’re gonna replay the game in April :lmao

ZeusWillJudge
12-09-2019, 07:33 PM
On one hand, the league acknowledged that multiple rules were misapplied...not only that the basket obviously should have counted, but that it sounds like the refs fucked up the challenge ruling as well.

On the other hand, it would be insane to wipe the 77 points that were scored after that point off the board for 2 points that weren't put up, including a huge comeback by the Spurs and two overtimes.

And in their back pocket, the Spurs had the fact that the Rockets scored at least 4 points on other situations where the refs "misapplied the rules" (Westbrook's over-and-back, and Harden catching the ball out of bounds).

It's one thing if it's a couple minutes to replay and the 2 points obviously an unequivocally affected the end result...but there is no way to clearly state that one way or the other in this situation. The league obviously doesn't want to get into that Pandora's box of what-ifs.

As most of us expected, they will adjust the review and challenges rule in the summer, and consider this a done deal.

Silver didn't want to open the Pandora's Box of challenges. Uphold one and more will start popping up, with teams saying, "This one is just like that one."

I was surprised that they admitted that the refs had misapplied, but they didn't have any choice. Turns out, that 30-second window only applies when the other team calls the timeout, or if it's a commercial timeout. The Rockets were the ones who called the timeout, so that 30-second bit didn't even apply. They just refused to acknowledge the challenge. There was no way for Silver to get around that. I understand overcoming a bad call - but they put a challenge system in so teams wouldn't have to overcome a bad call like that, and they refused to use it.

The real bullshit is that he said there was "sufficient time" to overcome it. I wonder how much time is sufficient? Three minutes? Six? We don't know, because there isn't a rule - it's just Silver making shit up as he goes. That's bush league. I know a lot of people don't care because it helped the Spurs and hurt D'Antoni. But if the shoe was on the other foot, they would be screaming bloody murder.

Get rid of challenges, get rid of protests, and get rid of Silver.

ZeusWillJudge
12-09-2019, 07:34 PM
b-but they’re gonna replay the game in April :lmao

See, the thing is I can live with that. You're still a faggot.

And just to be clear, faggot - I was clear that was my guess, that IF they upheld the protest, that's how they would do it. You're not just a faggot, you're an illiterate faggot.

Dverde
12-09-2019, 07:52 PM
I’m sure the refs will completely forget about this in the post season...so dumb

Genovaswitness
12-09-2019, 07:56 PM
See, the thing is I can live with that. You're still a faggot.

And just to be clear, faggot - I was clear that was my guess, that IF they upheld the protest, that's how they would do it. You're not just a faggot, you're an illiterate faggot.

nah you’re just a fucking retard who wrote pages about the game being replayed in April :lmao

youre gonna write an essay reply to this post like the stupid motherfucker you are :lmao

Dex
12-09-2019, 07:56 PM
I know a lot of people don't care because it helped the Spurs and hurt D'Antoni. But if the shoe was on the other foot, they would be screaming bloody murder.

I don't disagree with you there. I don't blame Rocket fans for being pissed...I'd be pissed too if I were them.

That said, the Rockets are easily the most ref-coddled team in the league. Harden's game relies on him bending the rules to send him to the line. He shot 24 goddamn free throws, and we know that not all of those were "genuine" fouls.

Spurs got 2 clear points by the refs. Rockets got 4 clear points by the refs. But they also want to ignore the other missed calls because "that's a judgement call" while clinging to "a made basket is a made basket".
It all comes out in the wash. I sure as hell am not going to lose any sleep over it.

weeks
12-09-2019, 07:59 PM
clutchfans is so assblasted :lol

Well this is trash. They were all yelling to review. I hate the NBA, but I continue to watch.

What a trash league..

What an absolutely disgraceful ruling by the NBA.

So the league admitted they screwed up and then denied their request anyway because the Rockets had a chance to overcome the league's error. There must be A LOT of leeway in the arbitration process for the league to do what it wants. What is the point of a protest if the league can admit they are wrong and rule in favor of themselves anyway? Kind of a pointless exercise and thanks for another 24 hours of the hot take cycle laughing at Houston.....ugh - hate this ****.

The Rockets should seriously sue the NBA over this, just to prove a point. This is a serious misapplication of the NBA by-laws.

refs were just rehearsing the fckery they will unleash on the Rockets come playoff time

refs were “disciplined” because more attention was brought to their plot than was initially anticipated

if the Rockets ever win a title, they will truly have overcome all the odds

I can't find words to express how enraged I am about this. What are protests good for then??? It's hard to find a situation better fitting for a protest and replaying the last 8 minutes of the game.

:lol "we're gonna sue the nba!!"

rascal
12-09-2019, 08:03 PM
This is a loss for the Spurs.

Every win could push them deeper in the draft. It is going to take two or three years or more of top draft picks to turn the team around. The only way the Spurs are going to get better is through the draft. Forget about trades. The Spurs are too conservative to make them and forget about getting any star additions in free agency.

Chinook
12-09-2019, 08:05 PM
Two minutes is probably what the NBA would consider to be sufficient time in cases like this one. With things like reviewing shot-clock plays and free throws, the league will wait until a timeout unless it's under two minutes. If it is, they'll stop and review it immediately. My guess about that would be because they don't think anything under that would be enough time to adjust to all of the sudden being down one or two more points that initially were on the board. Seven minutes to overcome two points is plenty sufficient -- to the point that the NBA didn't feel the need to mention the limit. That doesn't make the mistake any less of an issue for refs. But it does mean it would be worse to replay it.

The crazy thing is just how obvious it was that it wasn't going to be replayed and how many people still for some stupid reason thought it would be.

rascal
12-09-2019, 08:05 PM
The front office has a history of building teams through the draft and have not shown the ability to do it any other way.

paperboy77
12-09-2019, 08:13 PM
Silver didn't want to open the Pandora's Box of challenges. Uphold one and more will start popping up, with teams saying, "This one is just like that one."

I was surprised that they admitted that the refs had misapplied, but they didn't have any choice. Turns out, that 30-second window only applies when the other team calls the timeout, or if it's a commercial timeout. The Rockets were the ones who called the timeout, so that 30-second bit didn't even apply. They just refused to acknowledge the challenge. There was no way for Silver to get around that. I understand overcoming a bad call - but they put a challenge system in so teams wouldn't have to overcome a bad call like that, and they refused to use it.

The real bullshit is that he said there was "sufficient time" to overcome it. I wonder how much time is sufficient? Three minutes? Six? We don't know, because there isn't a rule - it's just Silver making shit up as he goes. That's bush league. I know a lot of people don't care because it helped the Spurs and hurt D'Antoni. But if the shoe was on the other foot, they would be screaming bloody murder.

Get rid of challenges, get rid of protests, and get rid of Silver.

Can't stand that slimy, "progressive" fucker. He's taken things way too far to the other side. We need a combination of 90's and today. Shitload of people still love to see physical, tough defense just ass much as offense. It's how the regular guy that hoops after work can relate to the league.

DJR210
12-09-2019, 08:28 PM
Biggest pussies in the NBA.. This is even pussier than Chris Paul basically wearing a referee shirt this year in OKC

Budkin
12-09-2019, 09:40 PM
:lmao Rockets

Budkin
12-09-2019, 09:42 PM
Can't stand that slimy, "progressive" fucker. He's taken things way too far to the other side. We need a combination of 90's and today. Shitload of people still love to see physical, tough defense just ass much as offense. It's how the regular guy that hoops after work can relate to the league.

I think the 80s would be a great era to emulate. You had great showmanship but you also had dudes clotheslining each other and not taking any shit.

timtonymanu
12-09-2019, 09:44 PM
:lol Rockets
:lol ‘Antoni
:lol Harden is gonna choke in the playoffs again like usual

TDMVPDPOY
12-09-2019, 09:49 PM
smc rocketfans

Spurs 4 The Win
12-09-2019, 09:53 PM
I said last night that I think the league will see the need to do something, but that it has to be a replay. You just don't know how the game would have played out.

Something is going to happen. I know you don't reply to me but if it were as simple as you say, wouldn't the league have come to a decision by now?

The longer it takes the more worried I get. You just say it was a missed call and move on, that’s what they do dozens of other times throughout the year.

:lol

Look at these handwringers and nervous nancies! :rollin

astounding paragraphs long autism in this thread.

there’s nothing to debate. spurs won

spurs10
12-09-2019, 09:56 PM
Good call.

If he was going to change the score he would need to address the 4 points the Rockets were wrongly awarded anyway. He basically also agreed that they could have 'not choked' and everything would be fine.

Seventyniner
12-09-2019, 10:37 PM
I still think it's about win probabilities. With 7:50 left and the Rockets up 13, their win probability was only a tiny bit better if they were up 15 instead. Maybe 90% versus 89%. This is in contrast to a blown call at the end of the game, where the win probability could have a huge swing as a result.

cool cat
12-09-2019, 11:09 PM

Look at these handwringers and nervous nancies! :rollin

What a moron, my post predicted with 100% accuracy what happened:lol

FkLA
12-09-2019, 11:13 PM
lol whiny bitches

https://twitter.com/NBCSKings/status/1204242888063930368

Clipper Nation
12-09-2019, 11:25 PM
:lol "we're gonna sue the nba!!"

:lmao By that logic, the rest of the league should sue the NBA for giving Frauden all those bogus foul calls whenever he flops.

Mugen
12-09-2019, 11:45 PM
lol whiny bitches

https://twitter.com/NBCSKings/status/1204242888063930368

:lmao protest that

Mugen
12-09-2019, 11:48 PM

This cuck hasn't stopped whining about the refs for a while now, what a pussy ass fanbase tbh :lol

Spurs 4 The Win
12-10-2019, 12:17 AM

This cuck hasn't stopped whining about the refs for a while now, what a pussy ass fanbase tbh :lol

Not the onion :lol

Beartrucci
12-10-2019, 12:31 AM
B54LRSTA-y1

John B
12-10-2019, 12:49 AM
Rockettes cmon denial they blew the lead and lost against a 2nd year Walker

John B
12-10-2019, 12:52 AM
Seriously I used to like the Rockets back in the days. But with Hardly, Westbrick and D’Antonette, really such whiners

SAGirl
12-10-2019, 12:56 AM
Basically acknowledging that serious mistakes were made but they were unwilling to change the outcome. Glad to hear it though it certainly is unsatisfying for the losing team.

Arcadian
12-10-2019, 12:57 AM
That's a perfectly reasonable decision. You can't change everything that happened after one play that didn't directly affect anything after it. There was no "chain reaction" of events after the dunk - it was an isolated incident.

It also wouldn't make sense to "replay" part of the game because that's just like playing a different game in a different context. You can never recreate the exact situation that existed at one moment in time, with the fatigue and momentum that built up to that moment. You can never perfectly recreate an event. What happened on that day will never change.

XDT76
12-10-2019, 03:36 AM
Basically acknowledging that serious mistakes were made but they were unwilling to change the outcome. Glad to hear it though it certainly is unsatisfying for the losing team.

Bcos if they did that, then every game with a wrong goaltending/block call would needs to be replayed

ElNono
12-10-2019, 03:52 AM
they were robbed, tbh... Spursfan would be so bitterly mad if it would've gone the other way

tbdog
12-10-2019, 05:06 AM
We would. But I wouldn't expect the Spurs to actually protest. Wasn't the last protest Fisher .4, which was at the time impossible to do, and even more so that Fisher caught the Balkans turned around the shoot it.

FkLA
12-10-2019, 09:17 AM
B54LRSTA-y1

Wow that's an actual tweet from the Kings official twitter. Savage af. :lmao

XDT76
12-10-2019, 09:21 AM
Wow that's an actual tweet from the Kings official twitter. Savage af. :lmao

Did Rockets antics pissed off other teams?

Dex
12-10-2019, 09:35 AM

:lmao That dude spent like two hours arguing with people on Twitter about two calls he felt were bad.

Now he knows how the rest of the NBA feels every single game when Harden pulls his bullshit.

exstatic
12-10-2019, 10:10 AM
Did Rockets antics pissed off other teams?

Two indisputable facts:

The Rockets are disliked around the league.

CP3 is the most hated little snitch around the league.

Mugen
12-10-2019, 10:44 AM
:lmao That dude spent like two hours arguing with people on Twitter about two calls he felt were bad.

Now he knows how the rest of the NBA feels every single game when Harden pulls his bullshit.

I checked out the dude's page and now I honestly feel bad because I think he might actually have severe autism :lol

DJR210
12-10-2019, 11:28 AM
Yo, why you bogarding that Wall Paper that you are using as your Avatar?

I looked everywhere for the master for you and couldn't find it.. nothing better than spending hours editing w/ nothing to show for it :tu

swrowe78
12-10-2019, 12:03 PM
The Rockets are such a toxic team. Hate the way that team plays the game and how they bitch about everything. I would probably have to take a hiatus from watching the NBA if Harden and the Rockets ever win a chip.

RC_Drunkford
12-10-2019, 01:13 PM
McHale says the NBA said the Rockets suck more than their refs :lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxQfC4MSYDU

Spurtacular
12-10-2019, 08:11 PM
Full statement by NBA:

https://i.redd.it/4mpkp43ddo341.jpg

Tl;DR

Does it say something like they're f'ing giving the Harden 20 FTs a game and consequently W's so they need to quit their bitching?

Spurtacular
12-10-2019, 08:14 PM
McHale says the NBA said the Rockets suck more than their refs :lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxQfC4MSYDU

:lmao Muh Man. Top five PF of all-time, tbh.

Genovaswitness
12-10-2019, 08:37 PM
shit where can I get tickets for the replay in april? I read pages of Ivy League logic convincing me they were going to replay the game???

OH WAIT

:lmao

Beartrucci
12-10-2019, 08:41 PM
shit where can I get tickets for the replay in april? I read pages of Ivy League logic convincing me they were going to replay the game???

OH WAIT

:lmao

the Clutchfans thread on the protest being denied is fucking legendary :lol can’t believe some of the takes in there

exstatic
12-11-2019, 10:41 AM
McHale, still carrying water for the Rockets, even though they fired him 11 games into the 2015-2016 season, right after he led the team to the WCFs. :lol Stockholm syndrome.

mudyez
12-12-2019, 07:16 AM
Would have been fun, if they replayed the remainder of the game and Rockets effed it up again.

XDT76
12-12-2019, 08:00 AM
With the way that Harden is looking for foul, every team celebrates whenever a call is not in Houston favour