PDA

View Full Version : Game 1 Thoughts

Obstructed_View
11-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Many of these aren't new but here's what I jotted down watching the game last night. Since we'ver got a few days until game 2 hopefully there's something in here worth discussing. Take anything that sparks your interest and run with it.

Hopefully it was just Danny Crawford, but if this is the way they are calling the games, Manu will not survive the season. There were at least three occasions that he got hit pretty hard and the refs seem to refuse to call it. Again, hopefully it was just the NBA sending a message, as Crawford seems to be the messenger.

Rasho is showing some aggression. Good sign. He got a couple of whistles he didn't agree with; we'll see if he's man enough to stay aggressive.

Maybe it's because he plays for the Spurs, or maybe it's because of Boykins, but is Nick Van Exel the worst defender in the world? Pop must really be pissed at Beno not to pull Nick for falling asleep multiple times.

Those that say Carmelo Anthony sucks, just shut up. He is a bad man, and commands a double team. He hasn't learned to beat it consistently, but he looks pretty dominant when he's not swarmed. In other words, brutha's pretty damn good. You don't have to like him, but don't say he can't play.

A carryover from last year, Duncan seems to be looking to the officials WAY too much, and it's starting to become worrisome to me. He isn't going to get all the calls he deserves, and he's never going to get all the calls he thinks he deserves.

Kenyon Martin is a decent player, but he was the first pick in the draft. He's better now that he's healthy, but he misses dunks and puts up airballs. He's not nearly good enough to be staring people down after he gets a dunk or strutting around like a bird. If I cared more, I'd feel sorry for him.

David Stern dared to call San Antonio a "small market". He must be in cahoots with the NFL. Sic 'em, San Antonio Saints boosters! BTW, why do they have to do split screen with the game when interviewing the commissioner? That's pretty stupid.

Earl Boykins should be starting for the Nuggets.

Final flop score: Nuggets - 1, Spurs - 0.

Someone needs to tell Marv that Eduardo's last name is not "NA HA RA". Nice to see him healthy again.

After only one game, I still dislike Michael Finley, even though he was nearly perfect on both ends of the floor. I'm trying, but I have to wait for the stink of Maverick to wear off. Good team defense, positioning, and shot selection will go a long way toward winning me over.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2005, 02:52 PM
David Stern dared to call San Antonio a "small market".He dared to speak the obvious truth?

Way too sensitive.

JamStone
11-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Kenyon Martin is a decent player, but he was the first pick in the draft.

The 2000 NBA draft is widely considered by experts, analysts, writers, pundits, and fans alike as one of the worst NBA drafts in a long time. Kenyon Martin has actually lived up to the first pick relative to his draft class.

The other good/decent players from that draft class include: Stromile Swift, Mike Miller, Hedo Turkoglu, Desmond Mason, Quentin Richardson, Jamaal Magloire. Heck, Chris Mihm, DerMarr Johnson, and Jerome Moiso were lottery picks in that draft.

One could criticize that Kenyon Martin is not a great overall #1 draft pick. But, if you look at that draft, he's probably proven to be the best out of the class. So, relatively, he was a decent overall #1 pick.

T Park
11-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Maybe it's because he plays for the Spurs, or maybe it's because of Boykins, but is Nick Van Exel the worst defender in the world

Boykins blows by everyone, plus Van Exel has never played for a defense first organization, its 1 game, give him some time.

A carryover from last year, Duncan seems to be looking to the officials WAY too much, and it's starting to become worrisome to me. He isn't going to get all the calls he deserves, and he's never going to get all the calls he thinks he deserves.

Every player does that, Will Perdue, Gary Payton, all players do that, let Duncan do that, hell get calls eventually.

David Stern dared to call San Antonio a "small market

Sa is a small market, we have 1 pro team and not a huge city, once again, how is that not true?!?!

Someone needs to tell Marv that Eduardo's last name is not "NA HA RA".

How should it be pronounced? He doesn't pronounce it with accent, but its correct.

After only one game, I still dislike Michael Finley

Oh give me a break.....

Obstructed_View
11-02-2005, 03:02 PM
The 2000 NBA draft is widely considered by experts, analysts, writers, pundits, and fans alike as one of the worst NBA drafts in a long time. Kenyon Martin has actually lived up to the first pick relative to his draft class.

The other good/decent players from that draft class include: Stromile Swift, Mike Miller, Hedo Turkoglu, Desmond Mason, Quentin Richardson, Jamaal Magloire. Heck, Chris Mihm, DerMarr Johnson, and Jerome Moiso were lottery picks in that draft.

One could criticize that Kenyon Martin is not a great overall #1 draft pick. But, if you look at that draft, he's probably proven to be the best out of the class. So, relatively, he was a decent overall #1 pick.
And relatively, he sucks, so he's a retard for staring down the bench after he misses a layup and gets fouled.

angel_luv
11-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Rasho is showing some aggression. Good sign. He got a couple of whistles he didn't agree with; we'll see if he's man enough to stay aggressive.

Oh he is!

Spurminator
11-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Someone needs to tell Marv that Eduardo's last name is not "NA HA RA".

Nor is it "Mah-No Ginobili"...

MiNuS
11-02-2005, 03:07 PM
thoughts?
1 game,1 win and 81 more games to go.Great start though.

Obstructed_View
11-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Boykins blows by everyone, plus Van Exel has never played for a defense first organization, its 1 game, give him some time.
The title of the thread is "game 1 thoughts" not "projections for the season".

Every player does that, Will Perdue, Gary Payton, all players do that, let Duncan do that, hell get calls eventually.
Can't wait until Duncan is at the level of Perdue or Payton. :rolleyes

Sa is a small market, we have 1 pro team and not a huge city, once again, how is that not true?!?!
I know SA is a small market. Everybody that doesn't hang out in the NFL forum knows SA is a small market. See "sarcasm".

How should it be pronounced? He doesn't pronounce it with accent, but its correct.No, it's not. His name is Najera. If this were more than a funny observation, I'd say that it should be pronounced Nah-heh-rah.

Oh give me a break.....
Okay, I guess you are the only one that can like or dislike players on the team. Fucktard.

Dre_7
11-02-2005, 03:10 PM

Am I the only one that thought Rasho played bad last night?? I may be a lil biased toward Nazr based on last year, but Naz played way better and more aggresive than Rasho last night, IMO. Now maybe he is just upset that he had his starting job taken away, but after one game, Nazr looked a lot better!

Obstructed_View
Oh he is!
No, sorry, he has to prove it.

T Park
Mah-No Ginobili"...

that does drive me up a wall.

Alot of guys cant pronounce his name, sometimes they pronounce the first I in his last name, like on the DirecTV commercial for LP.

Dre_7
11-02-2005, 03:12 PM
No, it's not. His name is Najera. If this were more than a funny observation, I'd say that it should be pronounced Nah-heh-rah.

Actually Marv had it close. Very bad accent (or lack there-of) :lol but close.

Obstructed_View
11-02-2005, 03:13 PM
Am I the only one that thought Rasho played bad last night?? I may be a lil biased toward Nazr based on last year, but Naz played way better and more aggresive than Rasho last night, IMO. Now maybe he is just upset that he had his starting job taken away, but after one game, Nazr looked a lot better!
I'm sure you aren't the only one who thought he played bad, but I said he showed some aggressiveness. I wasn't making a choice between them. I'll also stop short of suggesting that you already have.

Horry For 3!
11-02-2005, 03:13 PM
Oberto defintely needs to improve his defense and pick up on his assignments.

It seemed as that young ref didn't call shit, maybe because its his first game in the nba?

T Park
11-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Fucktard

How adult.

Can't wait until Duncan is at the level of Perdue or Payton

You obviously didn't understand what I meant.

Every player, does it, him doing is not "horrible"

Sometimes the talking to the refs does good.

The title of the thread is "game 1 thoughts

You said Van Exel was a horrible defender, I just pointed out that Boykins makes everyone play bad, Chill.

Dre_7
11-02-2005, 03:15 PM
I'll also stop short of suggesting that you already have.

You you dont need to. :lol I already have. Based on what Ive seen since Nazr has been on the team, I feel that he should start over Rasho. Until Rasho can show me something, I will have to stick with my belief that Nazr is better than Rasho.

Obstructed_View
11-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Actually Marv had it close. Very bad accent (or lack there-of) :lol but close.It's just funny, like the way he says "faaaaaauuurrr" instead of "four". There was a guy up here on the radio that would say Eduardo Najera's name with a full spanish accent, complete with rolled R's and fricative D's. Of course, when he identified himself as Chris Garcia he said it like a gringo. :lol

T Park
11-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Am I the only one that thought Rasho played bad last night??

No because 90% of the Spurs fan base has to be a "I Hate Rasho" member.

MiNuS
11-02-2005, 03:17 PM
on the pronunciations and internationalizing the NBA.

I don't believe there is a hispanic commentator on national tv yet.

Obstructed_View
11-02-2005, 03:18 PM
You you dont need to. :lol I already have. Based on what Ive seen since Nazr has been on the team, I feel that he should start over Rasho. Until Rasho can show me something, than I will have to stick with my belief that Nazr is better than Rasho.
And I agree with you. Rasho has to show something. Nazr played great in the playoffs and would probably be starting if he hadn't had family issues.

JamStone
11-02-2005, 03:21 PM
And relatively, he sucks, so he's a retard for staring down the bench after he misses a layup and gets fouled.

lmao! I don't necessarily disagree with you on that point. I'm just saying you can't imply because he's a #1 overall draft pick that he must be better than just decent. Pervis Ellison, Michael Olowkandi, Joe Smith, and Kwame Brown all prove that. Not all #1 draft picks are like Tim Duncan, Shaq, and Iverson. If he sucks, he sucks. It's plain to see that the draft is not an exact science.

That's a ll I'm saying.

Obstructed_View
11-02-2005, 03:23 PM
You obviously didn't understand what I meant.
Every player, does it, him doing is not "horrible"
Sometimes the talking to the refs does good.
Believe it or not, you aren't that difficult to understand. I couldn't find where I said it was "horrible". He isn't talking to the refs, he's crying for calls. That's not the same thing.

You said Van Exel was a horrible defender, I just pointed out that Boykins makes everyone play bad, Chill.
Sorry, the "give me a break" comment set me off. And I just asked if he was the worst defender in the world, and of course I didn't mean it. I hope he improves, but Beno would have gotten the hook after one lapse. Nick had two or three that were pretty obvious.

Obstructed_View
11-02-2005, 03:27 PM
lmao! I don't necessarily disagree with you on that point. I'm just saying you can't imply because he's a #1 overall draft pick that he must be better than just decent. Pervis Ellison, Michael Olowkandi, Joe Smith, and Kwame Brown all prove that. Not all #1 draft picks are like Tim Duncan, Shaq, and Iverson. If he sucks, he sucks. It's plain to see that the draft is not an exact science.

That's a ll I'm saying.
No, I agree with you. He's definitely a legend in his own mind.

T Park
11-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Well thats because Van Exel was playing well on the offensive end.

Beno gets yanked cause he does dumb shit, Van Exel is just not quick because of injuries.

Sorry, the "give me a break" comment set me off

Well come on,

you don't like Finley cause he used to be a Maverick??

How can you hate the Mavericks.

They arent contenders, they dont really challenge, they aren't serious come on.

angel_luv
11-02-2005, 03:40 PM
No, sorry, he has to prove it.

He is and he will! :D

Obstructed_View
11-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Well come on,

you don't like Finley cause he used to be a Maverick??

How can you hate the Mavericks.

They arent contenders, they dont really challenge, they aren't serious come on.
Dude, I'm trying. If you lived in Dallas, you'd hate them too. Mark Cuban has made them an organization of crybabies rooted for by bandwagon fans like Mouse who say stupid shit like Dirk is the MVP. I caught a lot of flack last year for saying I'm happier when the Mavs get eliminated than I am when the Spurs win the title.

This was my second game seeing Fin in a Spurs jersey. Just give me some time. :)

coopdogg3
11-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Ahhhhh, that explains it. Living in Dallas I can see why you would have problems with Finley. But just remember this. He is taking Cuban to the bank for over $ 50 million while making shots for the Spurs. That should help you like him. Finley is robbing the Mavericks while at the same time helping insure a San Antonio Spurs NBA Championship. Good times. Good times.

coopdogg3

slayermin
11-02-2005, 03:52 PM
I liked the way Van Exel ran the offense. It looks like he has the hands signals down. That tear drop floater of his is nice.

I liked how Finley didn't force things. He had a couple of mental lapses on defense but I think the effort was there.

Oberto is hardly Dennis Rodmanesque but he is a banger. He definitely knows the game and I would agree with Pop that he looks unorthodox but gets the job done.

TP's defense on Earl Boykins was sick. He was hounding him all over the court. That post up on Earl looked a little weird but it worked.

Overall, I was very pleased with what I saw. Could Pop keep an eleven man rotation for the entire season? I think he can.

T Park
11-02-2005, 03:56 PM
If you lived in Dallas, you'd hate them too.

I doubt it.

The only thing I find annoying are their obnoxious uneducated smelly dumbass fans.

coopdogg3
11-02-2005, 03:58 PM
I think Oberto's main problem on defense was not being unable to defend. He just looked lost out there at times. I'm fairly confident that after a few weeks this problem will rectify itself and Oberto will become a much more competent low-post defender.

I would like to see Beno play some. From what I heard in Europe this summer, it looks like he has taken a step forward, but it's hard to bench TP when he was playing so good. Parker had the most minutes of anybody last night I think with 34, might be nice to see what Beno has to give TP a little rest.

So who was that idiot who griped about how tired Parker was gonna be after a long season, long post-season, and then a summer season in Europe? Oh yeah, that was me. Guess he's gonna be all right after all.

coopdogg3

Obstructed_View
11-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Ahhhhh, that explains it. Living in Dallas I can see why you would have problems with Finley. But just remember this. He is taking Cuban to the bank for over $ 50 million while making shots for the Spurs. That should help you like him. Finley is robbing the Mavericks while at the same time helping insure a San Antonio Spurs NBA Championship. Good times. Good times.

coopdogg3
Wow. That's a great great argument. I can feel the dislike melting away. I'll be yelling for him before long. I hope the Mavs fans boo him on Saturday. That'll about seal it.

I doubt it.

The only thing I find annoying are their obnoxious uneducated smelly dumbass fans.
Don't forget their obnoxious uneducated smelly dumbass owner, who attracts the worst sort of fans.

MiNuS
11-02-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm pretty sure somewhere Scola watched the game and knew Oberto was warming up his place on the Spur's roster.

ALVAREZ6
11-02-2005, 07:26 PM
Spurs>Nuggets

T Park
11-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Scola watched the game and knew Oberto was warming up his place on the Spur's roster

Scola will not see minute 1, as a Spur.

Mark it down, put it in granite, whatever.

Reggie Miller
11-02-2005, 08:14 PM
I think Oberto's main problem on defense was not being unable to defend. He just looked lost out there at times. I'm fairly confident that after a few weeks this problem will rectify itself and Oberto will become a much more competent low-post defender.

I studied in England for a year 15 years ago, and I tried to follow international basketball as best as I could back then. (It's much bigger now.) Based on my limited experience watching the leagues back then, I think some of what we saw last night was Oberto trying to figure out what refs would really call.

I have no idea if this is still true, but European basketball used to be officiated very differently than the NBA. Back then, the written rules were strictly enforced. No travelling, no hanging around for 3.5 or 4 seconds...you get the idea. At the same time, cheap contact fouls weren't called much in some of the national leagues. If this is still true, that explains a lot of Oberto's behavior in my eyes. It seemed like Oberto wanted to be physical, but not pick up any fouls. That doesn't work too well in the NBA.

Oberto would have cemented his popularity in SA forever if he had just knocked Martin on his ass in the 2nd quarter. How I longed for that moment...

boutons
11-02-2005, 08:15 PM
"I find annoying are their obnoxious uneducated smelly dumbass fans"

aka, "self loathing"

ploto
11-02-2005, 09:10 PM

Yes-- you are the only one. Explain how Nazr was more aggressive when he had 1 rebound.

GrandeDavid
11-02-2005, 09:15 PM
Every Spurs fan is now a Finley fan, Get over it and stop bitching about him. TPark is right. As if the Mavs were ever a legit threat to the Spurs.

Dre_7
11-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Yes-- you are the only one. Explain how Nazr was more aggressive when he had 1 rebound.

Its not just about numbers. Its about how you play. Nazr played alot more aggresive and better than Rasho last night. If you watched the game, I think you would have seen that!!! The only way you think Rasho was better than Nazr last night is if you're Slovenian or angel_luv!

ploto
11-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Its not just about numbers. Its about how you play. Nazr played alot more aggresive and better than Rasho last night. If you watched the game, I think you would have seen that!!! The only way you think Rasho was better than Nazr last night is if you're Slovenian or angel_luv!

Or Greg Popovich!

Believe me, I watch every game fine from my seat.

angel_luv
11-03-2005, 12:25 AM
The only way you think Rasho was better than Nazr last night is if you're Slovenian or angel_luv!

Which we all know are two very cool things to be! ;)

beirmeistr
11-03-2005, 09:48 AM
The game was not bad for a first game of the season. Not at all. There were glimpses of a powerful dominant team that will jell later on in the season. My man Ginobili was obviously hampered by his bruised thigh, and he was smart enough not to aggravate his condition when Parker and Van Exel made two dumb alley oop passes to him. All the new players looked good considering how little time they have had as Spurs. I would have liked to see some playing time from Beno. Duncan looked lighter, quicker, and most importantly, healthier. Too bad Nene got injured.

batman2883
11-03-2005, 09:53 AM
game 1 thoughts are....It feels so damn good watching Mike Finley drain shots without even having to stop and release....he just got the ball and released and drained them. Dallas is going to hate us when they play us this weekend, i can't wait to see Finley go for like 28 on josh howard......beautiful simply beautiful

RashoFan
11-04-2005, 04:06 AM

Which we all know are two very cool things to be! ;)
:depressed
Left out again!

Phonzie20
11-04-2005, 05:38 AM
I think this thread needs more Shakira!