PDA

View Full Version : Nazr Getting The Malik Treatment

timvp
11-02-2005, 04:33 PM
People call timvp crazy for thinking the Spurs will do all it takes to lower Nazr's market value, but it was evident during game one of the season.

Rasho started, which wasn't a surprise, but Nazr didn't see the court until the third quarter. When he did get into the game, Pop was all over him the entire game. He got into his face a couple times and even pulled him from the game after a slow rotation by Tim Duncan led to a score. It didn't matter that Duncan was at fault, Nazr got the lashing from Pop.

This is going to be a looooong season for Nazr. Rasho and Oberto will be given every opportunity to win the starting center spot. Nazr will be yanked in and out of games. The San Antonio media won't hesitate to drop rumors of the Spurs being angry with Nazr's progression. As we've already seen, Nazr's family isn't off limits.

All in the name of the Almighty Dollah.

It was written.

:hat

Sweet_Angel
11-02-2005, 04:35 PM
I hadn't seen it that way.

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2005, 04:36 PM
They still don't get it. They want the Spurs' front office to be seen as warm and furry, not coldblooded and lethal. Effective it is, but not real classy or whatever the San Antonihomers want to believe.

Kori Ellis
11-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Off topic (almost) .. I met Nazr's wife, daughter, and new baby boy last night and her health is fine now. Their baby Nasir is 3 weeks old and very cute.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2005, 04:42 PM
So Nazr did well?

timvp
11-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Off topic (almost) .. I met Nazr's wife, daughter, and new baby boy last night and her health is fine now. Their baby Nasir is 3 weeks old and very cute.

Good to know.

A sick wife wasn't enough of an excuse for Pop and the machine.

T Park
11-02-2005, 04:43 PM
As we've already seen, Nazr's family isn't off limits

What hatefull things have the Spurs or the media written about Nazr's family?

They still don't get it. They want the Spurs' front office to be seen as warm and furry, not coldblooded and lethal. Effective it is, but not real classy or whatever the San Antonihomers want to believe.

Yeah, cause the Spurs bring in such shit heads all the time.

T Park
11-02-2005, 04:44 PM
A sick wife wasn't enough of an excuse for Pop and the machine

So what is next for the evil Popovich.

To spit on Beno?

Kick Rasho in the vagina???

God, cover the windows, the helicopters are out there.

nkdlunch
11-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Kick Rasho in the vagina???

hahaha

Shelly
11-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Of course. :lmao

I don't at all mean he's arrogant in a bad way. But he cracks me up when he states his basketball opinions as if they are fact. :lol

:)

MiNuS
11-02-2005, 04:48 PM
so can we expect something like "Nazr's PhiliSteaks" in Quarry Market soon??

T Park
11-02-2005, 04:50 PM
more like Nazr's something or others.

a traditional Muslim food.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-02-2005, 04:51 PM
so can we expect something like "Nazr's PhiliSteaks" in Quarry Market soon??

And Pop will order him to botch something on offense and then pull his jersey over his head while his man runs past him for a fastbreak.

coopdogg3
11-02-2005, 04:52 PM
If the Spurs plan on trading Nazr in the off-season with some sort of sign-and-trade it doesn't make a great deal of sense to try to drive down his value. Pop has yelled at Parker, heck he's even yelled at Tim, in short I think it's far too early to start with these conspiracy theories. Should be an interesting season to see how center sorts itself out, but it doesn't necessarily work in the Spurs favor to drive down the value of Nazr.

coopdogg3

MiNuS
11-02-2005, 04:53 PM
"Nazr's Allah Goatmeat famous sandwiches"

repeat 5,000 times Nazr: No pump fakes

Useruser666
11-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Nazr's Pork BBQ Grill and Bar.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-02-2005, 05:06 PM
I think it would be really funny if he went native with his restaurant. Who wouldn't want to eat at "Nazr's Cantina" or "Taqueria Mohammed"?

easjer
11-02-2005, 05:06 PM
I'm sure it couldn't have anything to do with Nazr himself. Or Rasho outplaying him for the starting position.

Of course, I'm a blind fool, because I still have respect for Rasho, so clearly, I am foolish.

That's right, bust out the tinfoil hats, folks.

alamo50
11-02-2005, 05:07 PM
People call timvp crazy for thinking the Spurs will do all it takes to lower Nazr's market value, but it was evident during game one of the season.

Never done that, but this invites me to: I call timvp crazy for thinking the Spurs will do all it takes to lower Nazr's market value.

The guy missed half of pre-season!
Pop is teaching him like he teached Tony.
Not like telling Malik over and over and over what not to do.

MiNuS
11-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Nazr's Pork BBQ Grill and Bar.
specialty of the house: "Pump fake Baby back ribs"

there's a correct way of eating these and that's by pump fakin'!

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2005, 05:08 PM
The guy missed half of pre-season because his wife was sick after giving birth. Fo' shame.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Why would the Spurs lower Nazr's value if they have no intention of re-signing him?

101A
11-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Shortsighted and very selective choice of facts in this thread. Listen to the Pop show, he pretty much gushes about how well Nazr looked on his return despite his limited time with the team.

Pop has said he is disappointed with how little time with the team this training camp & pre-season. So what? Didn't say he didn't understand, or thought Nazr was a jake or anything - chill.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Why would the Spurs lower Nazr's value if they have no intention of re-signing him?

The conspiracy theory is that this way the Spurs faithful won't be up in arms when they let him walk.

timvp
11-02-2005, 05:12 PM
I call timvp

Nice.

This usually means I'm right.

Sincerely,

Spurs will start 10-10.
Spurs will waive Ron Mercer.
Spurs will bench Manu.
Rasho will be a bust.
Spurs should sign Haslem.
Spurs will try to trade Beno.
...and more.

Oh, Gee!!
Let's trade NAZR, RASHO, and BENO for Garnett.

ChumpDumper
Since when has backlash over letting a player go ever hurt the bottom line?

You'd think they'd be shitting all over Barry and Rasho if anyone.

Consistency doesn't seem to be a hallmark of this conspiracy.

MiNuS
11-02-2005, 05:13 PM
In all seriousness I like the line up better with Nazr than with Rasho.He just needs a few weeks to readjust and Rasho will be blindsided and be traded. I'll take Nazr even with all his pump faking shots over Rasho.He becomes a liability when we start him and Bowen on offense.

angel_luv
11-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Okay Timvp, explain to me why Pop would wanted to lower Nazr's market value.

I don't doubt you. I just don't understand the benefit. What is Pop's motive?

ducks
11-02-2005, 05:14 PM
so spurs can resign him for a cheaper price...

ChumpDumper
11-02-2005, 05:16 PM
His value is never going to go under this season's salary, and that's what it would have to do to stay under the tax threshold.

MiNuS
11-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Garnett will not end up in Minny as a scrub.He will probably end up in LAL or NYN. I don't feel he has the ego of playing second fiddle to anyone in SAS.

2centsworth
11-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Poisoning is much more effective.

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Why lower Nazr's value?

How about because you intend to start Oberto and let Mohammed walk next summer?

This assumption that the Spurs won't let talent walk is curious, especially since they just did last summer and have done so before. It's also curious because the primary complaint they had about the man they traded for Mohammed was his contract. That desire to pare down long term payroll did not end when Malik left town.

Any other questions?

angel_luv
11-02-2005, 05:20 PM
so spurs can resign him for a cheaper price...

I'm interested. How exactly can you lower a player's value.. who determines it and based on what criteria?

Bruno
11-02-2005, 05:24 PM
I'm prety sure Spurs will make a trade before the deadline to go under the Lux Tax.
They won't trade a min salary player (Spurs have still the min number of players, it won't help them to go under the tax), a vet who just sign (bad reputation among other vet for the years to come) and a star.

Spurs will trade Rasho, Oberto, Nazr or Brent :
- Oberto is unlikely (cheap and new signing)
- Brent has a trade kicker and he comes for cheaper than the offer he receives from other teams (bad reputation for Spurs among old vets who wants a ring)

So Nazr or Rasho :
Rasho is very difficult to trade (due to his contract).
Next year Rasho will be the cheap guy ($23M over 3 years) compared to Nazr (bigs are overpaid, he can have $45M/$50M for five or six years via FA)

My prediction :
Nazr traded before february for bad expiring players+picks or prospects.

timvp
11-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Why lower Nazr's value?

If the Spurs want to re-sign him, it's going to be a lot easier making room for a $35M contract than a $70M contract. If Nazr was given the starting spot and given big minutes, his stock would be higher than Erick Dampier's ... and we all saw how much money he got. So if the Spurs actually want to keep Nazr, this is actually the only way.

The Spurs are a machine. Nothing happens by accident.

You'd think Spurs fans would realize this by now.

MiNuS
11-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Rasho 10 min: 2 points,2rbs and 3 fouls
Nazr 9minutes 4 points,1 rbd and 1foul

coopdogg3
11-02-2005, 05:27 PM
If the Spurs plan on letting Nazr walk next season it is NOT in their best interests to lower his value. It is better to inflate his value so a potential competitor will have to tie up more money to sign him.

If the Spurs plan on trying to trade Nazr next summer, it is NOT in their best interests to lower his value. Better to have people believe he is a real value so you get more through a trade.

Only if the Spurs plan on re-signing Nazr does driving his value down make any sense. And then I think it is a ridiculous notion as I believe the Spurs are solely focused on winning the NBA Championship which will only be made easier by Nazr playing well and focused on the task at hand. Pop has yelled and barked at virtually every Spur numerous times, too believe there is an ulterior motive for this specific case is a very tough pill to swallow. Especially only after the first game.

coopdogg3

ChumpDumper
11-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Why lower Nazr's value?

If the Spurs want to re-sign him, it's going to be a lot easier making room for a $35M contract than a $70M contractStill puts them over the tax threshold.

How did we lower Manu's value again?

BigVee
11-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Why lower Nazr's value?

If the Spurs want to re-sign him, it's going to be a lot easier making room for a $35M contract than a $70M contract. If Nazr was given the starting spot and given big minutes, his stock would be higher than Erick Dampier's ... and we all saw how much money he got. So if the Spurs actually want to keep Nazr, this is actually the only way.

The Spurs are a machine. Nothing happens by accident.

You'd think Spurs fans would realize this by now.

I respect your opinion, however if you have figured this out, it stands to reason that perhaps a few GM's will as well?

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2005, 05:29 PM
I'm prety sure Spurs will make a trade before the deadline to go under the Lux Tax.
They won't trade a min salary player (Spurs have still the min number of players, it won't help them to go under the tax), a vet who just sign (bad reputation among other vet for the years to come) and a star.

Absolutely a move will be made.

My prediction :
Nazr traded before february for bad expiring players+picks or prospects.

Problem is, it's a lot easier to trade an expiring contract when you are willing to take back contracts with a year(s) left on them.

MiNuS
11-02-2005, 05:30 PM
the lowering of his value doesn't wash.

Malik,lowered his own value after he was paid,very differrent.

timvp
11-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Still puts them over the tax threshold.

True, but not if they trade Rasho and/or Barry. The Spurs aren't going to swallow a $70M contract. They'll make room for a $35-40M contract.

How did we lower Manu's value again?

By benching him. If Manu would have started the entire 2003-04 season, his value would have been $15-20M higher.

You forgot already?

timvp
11-02-2005, 05:32 PM
the lowering of his value doesn't wash.

Malik,lowered his own value after he was paid,very differrent.

I never said that the Spurs were trying to lower Malik's value. The only way Malik is related to this conversation is because Nazr received the "Malik Treatment". The comparison ends there.

T Park
11-02-2005, 05:33 PM
If Manu would have started the entire 2003-04 season, his value would have been $15-20M higher.

Who says he wouldn't have gotten a serious injury starting and playing more minutes??

Theres a whole can of worms that aint even worth opening.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2005, 05:34 PM
By benching him. If Manu would have started the entire 2003-04 season, his value would have been $15-20M higher.

You forgot already?Uh, his value was that much higher. Remeber Denver? He signed here for less.

You forgot already?

timvp
11-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Who says he wouldn't have gotten a serious injury starting and playing more minutes??

Theres a whole can of worms that aint even worth opening.

Not sure what injury has to do with this topic. But if Manu would have been starting and Hedo was left to rot on the bench, Manu would have had the fame, glory, numbers and minutes played to be worth near a max contract.

Oops.

timvp
11-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Uh, his value was that much higher. Remeber Denver? He signed here for less.

You forgot already?

Huh?

Denver never put an offer on the table. They went after K-Mart.

50 cent
11-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Nazr spent have the summer fasting because of Rammahdam or whatever the hell it is and dealing with family issues. Rasho has been working on his game because he knew he was getting passed by.

I think one of them is going to be let go, but I think it is too early to say that Pop is trying to up Rasho's value and lower Nazr's so they can resign him. Let's see how the next couple of months play out first. Rasho might end up being the one they decide to keep and try to trade Nazr which wouldn't make Pop's supposed plan to devalue him very smart.

Bruno
11-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Problem is, it's a lot easier to trade an expiring contract when you are willing to take back contracts with a year(s) left on them.

It's easy to trade an expiring for less talented expiring.
They can do a trade Nazr for players like Aaron Williams.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Huh?

Denver never put an offer on the table. They went after K-Mart.Because Manu informed them not to bother.

The main reason the Spurs sign players for less is that they have signed players for less.

If you can convince me Manu's benching had nothing to do with basketball, I'd believe you. Whose value was being reduced during last season's benching?

strangeweather
11-02-2005, 05:39 PM
If anyone was going to kick around a conspiracy theory at this point I would think it would be more along the lines that the Spurs are showcasing Rasho to make him tradeable.

Or is that too obvious to even qualify as a conspiracy theory?

spvrs
11-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Man this is a stretch. Nazr will be an unrestricted FA so if you piss him off he won't sign here for a similiar contract anyway. Anyone looks good next to Duncan (besides Rasho) anyway so it's almost a given that Nazr will be overpaid.

Totally off topic but it iss really fortunate that we didn't win the title year before last. Can you imagine trying to sign Manu and Tony after that? Wouldn't have happened.

timvp
11-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Because Manu informed them not to bother.

Link?

Denver wasn't going to put any offer on the table with their number one target still available. And they got him.

End of story.

The main reason the Spurs sign players for less is that they have signed players for less.

And good planning.

If you can convince me Manu's benching had nothing to do with basketball, I'd believe you. Whose value was being reduced during last season's benching?

That lasted until Barry sucked. What was Pop waiting for when Hedo was sucking versus the Lakers?

E$$actly.

spvrs
11-02-2005, 05:43 PM
This is was widely quoted, Kiki said that Manu told them not to bother.

If Manu played more minutes than he had he probably would have got a career ending injury. You are the one always going on about how manu can only play 35 minutes and we need someone who can play more than that.

You were wrong about that

MiNuS
11-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Man this is a stretch. Nazr will be an unrestricted FA so if you piss him off he won't sign here for a similiar contract anyway. Anyone looks good next to Duncan (besides Rasho) anyway so it's almost a given that Nazr will be overpaid.

Totally off topic but it iss really fortunate that we didn't win the title year before last. Can you imagine trying to sign Manu and Tony after that? Wouldn't have happened.
so the .40 shot was a conspiracy then!????! It was done to lower Manu's & Tony's salary???

Naaaahh! This Nazr thread doesn't wash.

TheWriter
11-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Boy does LJ love looking through windows when the answer is on the front yard.

Nazr was crap in the preseason and also missed a few games. He lost his rotation.

Same thing happened to Big Dog in the playoffs.

Were the Spurs just trying to get GRob's value so low that they wouldn't sign him?

Give up the Oliver Stone and Joan of Arc act.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Link?Did you sleep through that summer?
What was Pop waiting for when Hedo was sucking versus the Lakers?Waiting for someone to make a three....

spvrs
11-02-2005, 05:47 PM
the .4 shot was part of the Stern v. Lakers conspiracy. This one has a motive namely 100s of millions of dollars.

I did preface it with 'totally off topic'

timvp
11-02-2005, 05:47 PM
If anyone was going to kick around a conspiracy theory at this point I would think it would be more along the lines that the Spurs are showcasing Rasho to make him tradeable.

Or is that too obvious to even qualify as a conspiracy theory?

That is a good byproduct.

timvp
11-02-2005, 05:48 PM

:smokin

ChumpDumper
11-02-2005, 05:48 PM
10 minutes is not a showcase.

timvp
11-02-2005, 05:49 PM
You are the one always going on about how manu can only play 35 minutes and we need someone who can play more than that.

You were wrong about that

Who are you talking to?

Manu can't play 35 minutes and yeah I was right. But where did I say to get someone who can?

Link?

timvp
11-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Did you sleep through that summer?

Manu telling Denver not to bother made no difference. The Nuggets weren't going to offer him a contract with their number one target still available.

You deny this?

Waiting for someone to make a three....

Manu hit a couple threes in the following year's playoffs as a starter.

No?

MiNuS
11-02-2005, 05:51 PM
10 minutes is not a showcase.yep.
both Nazr & Rasho had the same minutes.The differrence is that Rasho had a full training camp and still played like crap.

BigVee
11-02-2005, 05:53 PM
Seems to me that if the Spurs were really trying to make sure they could sign someone for less than their market value, rather than giving them the Malik treatment they might try making them feel wanted and a part of something special, not berating them without cause, casting doubts upon their work ethic, etc. May sound naive, but there are players who will sign for less for those types of reasons.

timvp
11-02-2005, 05:53 PM
Were the Spurs just trying to get GRob's value so low that they wouldn't sign him?

What does this have to do with anything?

Go pleasure yourself to a San Antonio manhole.

http://www.amherst.ny.us/graphics/engineering/sewer/manhole.jpg

spvrs
11-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Manu can't play 35 minutes and yeah I was right. But where did I say to get someone who can?
I'll find this when I have time.

The guy can play 35 minutes according to you we play him 35 minutes, so how were we lowering his value?

Bruno
11-02-2005, 05:55 PM
I think it's too soon to lower Nazr Value.
The explanation is that they tried to show to other GM that Nazr is available for a trade.

Pop said that even without the training, he plays quite good.
translation :
"you can trade for him, he will be fast productive with your team"

coopdogg3
11-02-2005, 05:57 PM
The point is, just because players are benched does not mean the Spurs are trying to lower their value. Players get benched because they can't perform. Neither Rash nor Nazr was particularly effective last night, so they didn't get many minutes. Again, 1 game into the season is way too early for this conspiracy talk. Especially because Pop usually spends the early part of the regular season getting his rotation right and messing with the line-ups.

coopdogg3

spvrs
11-02-2005, 05:59 PM
the guy os lowering his own trade value. I'm sure no decision has been made... it will come down to trade value of our player (or how much we have to give up to unload him).

Plus the center position needs to be servicable.

Spurs don't pay lux. tax.

I know you guys think of a couple milliion dollars as chump change but 99.99999999% of america doesn't

timvp
11-02-2005, 05:59 PM
People who say that it's too soon to tell if the Spurs are lowering Nazr's value are missing the point. I've been saying for a long time that this is the game plan going into the season. Game one is just reinforcing my point.

Bruno
11-02-2005, 06:09 PM
People who say that it's too soon to tell if the Spurs are lowering Nazr's value are missing the point. I've been saying for a long time that this is the game plan going into the season. Game one is just reinforcing my point.

My point is that they lower his value for SA to show that he can be traded to other GM.

Why : They said that he wasn't great because he didn't make the training camp but even without the training camp he made a heck of a job last year. It's not really lower his market value.

His absence "affects everything," Popovich said. "His familiarity with what we're doing, getting the system down. Come playoff time, you make so many adjustments that everything isn't exactly what you did in training camp. If you didn't have training camp, you don't have the base.
"Sometimes he was on the fly trying to do something in the playoffs that he hadn't practiced very much. Considering that, he did a heck of a job."

Spurs can't sign Nazr to an extension with Rasho staying with Spurs.
In the first game they didn't showcase Rasho (Horry plays a lot), Spurs will trade Nazr, not Rasho.

BigVee
11-02-2005, 06:10 PM

Do you feel that in Pop's mind he needed to play Nazr to win a championship-- versus lowering his value, Nazr would sit?

timvp
11-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Why would the Spurs trade Nazr? In the playoffs, it'd be really risky going to war with Rasho and Oberto.

Plus, I don't think Nazr's trade value is too high. Even if the Spurs could get a Shane Battier for him, that is even more long-term money on the books.

timvp
11-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Do you feel that in Pop's mind he needed to play Nazr to win a championship-- versus lowering his value, Nazr would sit?

No.

But a team isn't going to throw Dampier money at Nazr if Nazr just performs well in March, April and the playoffs. But if Nazr averages 10, 10 and 2 this season, he's a very rich ex-Spur at the end of the season.

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Why would the Spurs trade Nazr? In the playoffs, it'd be really risky going to war with Rasho and Oberto.

Plus, I don't think Nazr's trade value is too high. Even if the Spurs could get a Shane Battier for him, that is even more long-term money on the books.

That's what this is all about. The Spurs moved Rose because his contract did not fit into their long term budget. Have things really changed because it's now Mohammed?

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Besides, the Spurs now have Oberto to be their starting center for 3 seasons at $2.5 mil per. That's hard to beat in the NBA for an experienced player who wasn't drafted.

BigVee
11-02-2005, 06:18 PM
No.

But a team isn't going to throw Dampier money at Nazr if Nazr just performs well in March, April and the playoffs. But if Nazr averages 10, 10 and 2 this season, he's a very rich ex-Spur at the end of the season.

Fair enough. As long as you are saying that Pop wouldn't jeopardize another title run to lower Nazr value then I wouldn't have a problem with your position. I still think that other GM's can see through that, however.

Bruno
11-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Why would the Spurs trade Nazr?

Mainly because they can't trade Rasho for expiring and they want to go under the Tax.
Not signing a 14th because of Lux tax make sense only if Spurs planed to do a trade before the deadline.
They can trade him for a first and a bad player with an expiring contract.

coopdogg3
11-02-2005, 06:20 PM
No.

Please tell me you're joking. Indiana threw money at Croshere for one good play-off series.

Utah payed insane money to Ostertag for blocking Hakeem twice in one play-off game.

New York threw crazy money at Jerome James this year for 1 good game against the Spurs.

If Nazr performs well the past 2 months of the season and then continues to perform in the play-offs, his stock will be crazy high.

coopdogg3

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Nazr's value lies in the fact that he himself has an expiring contract. Any potential suitor will want the Spurs to take on a contract that is not expiring.

j-6
11-02-2005, 06:22 PM
The Spurs are trying to prevent this (http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm) or this (http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm) from happening to them.

Nazr will be in town either at the end of the season or if someone is looking for expiring contracts and has a cheaper alternative. I don't see any way he'll resign with the Spurs when somebody out there is going to offer him some ridiculous Adonal Foyle kind of money.

Especially if he's only 27-28 and has two rings. :D

coopdogg3
11-02-2005, 06:23 PM
That's why I don't see the Spurs trading Nazr this season. No one is going to give up anything for just a half-season of Nazr. And Spurs aren't gonna want a bad contract from some team that finds Nazr's expiring contract attractive. The best hope I see for trading Nazr is a S & T in the summer.

coopdogg3

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Nah, Spurs are gonna let Nazr walk next summer. His value to the Spurs was first and foremost getting rid of the long term liability that was Rose's contract. If they can find a taker for Radoslav he will be gone as well. The Spurs have Oberto to start and his price is dirt cheap. They have Horry to be their primary reserve big for this season and the next. Then next summer or the summer thereafter they can bring in Scola at a cheap price as well (or Javtokas, for that matter) to be the 4th big.

Bruno
11-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Any potential suitor will want the Spurs to take on a contract that is not expiring.

No. See the Payton/Walker deal between Celtics and Atlanta.
A team over the cap, will give expiring and picks/prospects to have Nazr Bird Rights. (Nazr is worth more than the MLE)

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2005, 06:27 PM
We hope. I'll believe it when I see it.

Brodels
11-02-2005, 06:29 PM
No.

He's probably going to be an ex-Spur if he puts up those kinds of numbers. Likewise, he's going to be an ex-Spur if he gets dicked around this season. There is no way he's going to come back to San Antonio if he's not going to get minutes and a decent paycheck, because someone will give him those things. Serviceable NBA centers make money and play lots of minutes. He's not going to stay in San Antonio if he isn't going to get that and if Pop dicks him around.

L.J. has gone Flash Gordon on us with this one. This is every bit as silly as Flash Gordon's referee conspiracies.

If the Spurs are really interested in getting some young, cheap, valuable players for Nazr, they'll give him some minutes. If they're serious about re-signing him at the end of the year, they'll find a way to move Rasho as soon as possible. That's not easy to do, but it would be a whole lot more effective than intentionally dicking Nazr around.

It just doesn't make sense. If they want to keep him, pissing him off isn't going to help matters. If they want to trade him, lowering his value isn't going to help matters. And if they want to let him walk, it doesn't really matter what his value is. If they really do plan to let him walk, they are going to get everything they can out of him while he's in San Antonio.

I'm sorry, Flash L.J., but you're pulling this one out of your ass. There is not a single long or short-term advantage to lowering Nazr's value at this time.

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2005, 06:30 PM
The Spurs have to set the table for when Oberto is made the starter and for why Mohammed walks.

Solid D
11-02-2005, 06:34 PM
So I guess Pop must be anti-Arabic, since Malik is an Arabic name for King and Nazr is Arabic for vow or pledge. It's all becoming clearer now.....

T Park
11-02-2005, 06:36 PM
That anti semite.

FIRE POP NOW!!!!

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2005, 06:37 PM
That anti semite.

FIRE POP NOW!!!!

um, er...

T Park
11-02-2005, 06:38 PM
makes as much sense as the drivel youve been posting.

I mean hell, why should we root for such a horrible disgusting team?

coopdogg3
11-02-2005, 06:38 PM
At least Pop isn't an anti-dentite (Seinfeld reference). :lol

coopdogg3

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Why start pinching pennies? Why stop trying to find talent when you have a swingman rotation that is old?

Brodels
11-02-2005, 06:41 PM
The Spurs have to set the table for when Oberto is made the starter and for why Mohammed walks.

That's silly. I'm not at all convinced that they would intentionally decrease the team's chances of winning and risk pissing off a player (and potentially the other players) because there is a possibility that they might have to justify Oberto starting to the fans almost a year from now.

There are bigger things to worry about, Flash. If Nazr walks, they can certainly cover it then.

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2005, 06:42 PM
They've done it before. Oberto isn't going to move to the starting spot next season. More like next month.

timvp
11-02-2005, 06:52 PM
He's probably going to be an ex-Spur if he puts up those kinds of numbers. Likewise, he's going to be an ex-Spur if he gets dicked around this season. There is no way he's going to come back to San Antonio if he's not going to get minutes and a decent paycheck, because someone will give him those things. Serviceable NBA centers make money and play lots of minutes. He's not going to stay in San Antonio if he isn't going to get that and if Pop dicks him around.

L.J. has gone Flash Gordon on us with this one. This is every bit as silly as Flash Gordon's referee conspiracies.

If the Spurs are really interested in getting some young, cheap, valuable players for Nazr, they'll give him some minutes. If they're serious about re-signing him at the end of the year, they'll find a way to move Rasho as soon as possible. That's not easy to do, but it would be a whole lot more effective than intentionally dicking Nazr around.

It just doesn't make sense. If they want to keep him, pissing him off isn't going to help matters. If they want to trade him, lowering his value isn't going to help matters. And if they want to let him walk, it doesn't really matter what his value is. If they really do plan to let him walk, they are going to get everything they can out of him while he's in San Antonio.

I'm sorry, Flash L.J., but you're pulling this one out of your ass. There is not a single long or short-term advantage to lowering Nazr's value at this time.

I've been called worse. Check out the Ron Mercer thread where I said the Spurs would waive him. I think I was called a child molestor in that one.

But anyways, who said the Spurs would piss off Nazr? Not starting him isn't going to piss him off. He's a good team player, he'll do whatever Pop tells him he needs to do to win. What limiting his statistics does is it clouds his value.

Don't sell Nazr short.

ambchang
11-02-2005, 06:57 PM
I respect your opinion, however if you have figured this out, it stands to reason that perhaps a few GM's will as well?
Isiah Thomas has figured it out, and apparently EVERY team is doing it. Look at the high potential players he has signed after their previous teams tried to lower their value by playing them less minutes.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-02-2005, 07:38 PM

kori likes to rub in the fact that she's media and gets to personally meet every spur on an almost daily basis

Cant_Be_Faded
11-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Nice.

This usually means I'm right.

Sincerely,

Spurs will start 10-10.
Spurs will waive Ron Mercer.
Spurs will bench Manu.
Rasho will be a bust.
Spurs should sign Haslem.
Spurs will try to trade Beno.
...and more.

shitloads of people said those same things and are saying those same things though

Solid D
11-02-2005, 07:43 PM
That anti semite.

FIRE POP NOW!!!!

Typically, anti-semitic (Semite -derived from Shem, one of Noah's 3 sons) refers to Jews/Hebrews.

Arabs roots are typically tied to Ham (another of Noah's sons) although it is said the Arabic language has some ties to Shemites as well as Hamites.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2005, 07:45 PM
I'm confused, aren't muslims anti-ham?

Solid D
11-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Can Jews eat SPAM?

ChumpDumper
11-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Jews peak after March?

Cant_Be_Faded
11-02-2005, 07:49 PM
Nah, Spurs are gonna let Nazr walk next summer. His value to the Spurs was first and foremost getting rid of the long term liability that was Rose's contract. If they can find a taker for Radoslav he will be gone as well. The Spurs have Oberto to start and his price is dirt cheap. They have Horry to be their primary reserve big for this season and the next. Then next summer or the summer thereafter they can bring in Scola at a cheap price as well (or Javtokas, for that matter) to be the 4th big.

Relying on horry for a regular season primary reserve is a stupid move though. the main reason he kicked so much ass last playoffs was cuz he was fresh as possible.

TheWriter
11-02-2005, 07:55 PM

You're the one saying the Spurs machine used Nazr's family problems to kick him out the rotation.

You're trying to find a forest fire where there isn't one.

Shelly
11-02-2005, 08:05 PM

http://www.amherst.ny.us/graphics/engineering/sewer/manhole.jpg

:lmao

Quote of the year!

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2005, 08:09 PM
shitloads of people said those same things and are saying those same things though

Not really.

SequSpur
11-02-2005, 08:14 PM
BS. Nazr probably told them he wants a new deal and they're pissed. Why not start Rasho? See if that limp dick can perform and then trade his ass.

Seem smart to me.

Nazr is not in the dog house.

exstatic
11-02-2005, 08:18 PM
No.

See: James, Jerome.

No amount of devaluation will put him beyond the reach of Isaiah Thomas. :smokin

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/903959/the_optimist.jpg

Cant_Be_Faded
11-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Not really.

well its not like timvp was the first and only person to say mercer would be waived, or any of that other stuff

noone said rasho would be a bust? come on

timvp
11-02-2005, 08:44 PM
well its not like timvp was the first and only person to say mercer would be waived

Uh yeah I was. The forum called me out hardcore and said I was crazy.

Check the archives, kiddo.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-02-2005, 08:45 PM

well that was before i started posting here

but people i know personally said it would happen

was it a daring prediction when he was very unproductive or when he rode the bench for an entire month

E20
11-02-2005, 08:51 PM
I kind of agree with Timvp, I was suprised that Nazr, didn't get any PT untill the 3rd. And with his mintues, I'm leaning towards that Pop wasn't happy with his production.

ploto
11-02-2005, 09:04 PM
The Spurs spent training camp going back to basics and starting from stractch and Nazr's shortcomings are most apparent here. He does not have good fundamentals nor a good feel for the game. I tried to tell people that a training camp would NOT fix Nazr's problems, and the Spurs knew this even before he left to be with his wife. Nazr had the chance this summer to prove he deserved a long-term deal with the Spurs and he plain and simply did not do it. Pop is VERY frustrated with Nazr and his inablity to get where he is supposed to be and go where he should go on the court. He was here for 4 months last season and Oberto already has a lot down better than Nazr does. Also, let me tell you. Pop is not grooming Oberto to be the starting center. He is grooming Oberto to replace HORRY. Mark my words. He is a guy Pop feels can play in the crunch and along Tim late in games, but he will not be strong enough defensively to start.

Whether people want to believe it or not, Rasho is simply outplaying Nazr. Pop even mentioned in his show this week that people may not remember but Rasho was the starter last season until he got hurt. Also, the Spurs are pleased with the way Rasho handled everything last season and with the way he came prepared for camp-- with the right balance of fighting for his job back with putting the team first.

leemajors
11-02-2005, 09:08 PM
it's awesome we can set our entire season plan minutes for everyone after one game.

angel_luv
11-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Whether people want to believe it or not, Rasho is simply outplaying Nazr. Pop even mentioned in his show this week that people may not remember but Rasho was the starter last season until he got hurt. Also, the Spurs are pleased with the way Rasho handled everything last season and with the way he came prepared for camp-- with the right balance of fighting for his job back with putting the team first.

That's my man! =)

TwoHandJam
11-02-2005, 09:16 PM
As others on the forum have mentioned, I don't think "clouding" Nazr's value by not playing him consistently until March or whatever makes much sense. Bigs in this league who are around Nazr's talent level are going to get overpriced offers. Lesser players (see James, Jerome and Foyle, Adonal) have already proven this.

Not to mention the risk Pop would be taking in just assuming Nazr could be fast tracked into playoff shape when he needed him to be after fooling with his minutes all season. Even if Pop were to do this, do you honestly think no team would offer Nazr big money if his season stats were mediocre but he tore it up in the playoffs and owns two rings? Teams might make him exorbitant offers just to rob the Spurs of a piece of the championship puzzle.

Doesn't wash.

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2005, 09:32 PM
If the Spurs didn't have a history of attempting to put players in a bad light I might agree. This didn't start with Rose. He was in fact the latest victim, well, before Nazr and his sick wife.

timvp
11-02-2005, 09:42 PM
well that was before i started posting here

but people i know personally said it would happen

was it a daring prediction when he was very unproductive or when he rode the bench for an entire month

I said this after the first or second game of the season when Mercer was averaging double figures. Every Spurs fan was ready to name him 6th man of the year.

Thus the beauty.

Kori Ellis
11-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Nothing like a five page thread of crap on the 2nd day of the NBA season.

:tu

Kori Ellis
11-02-2005, 09:48 PM
By the way, here's the thread of everyone going crazy when timvp wanted Mercer waived. :lmao

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2715&page=1&pp=26

spurschick
11-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Nothing like a five page thread of crap on the 2nd day of the NBA season.

:tu

I was just thinking the same thing! :lmao Trade this person... that person sucks... I love it.

picnroll
11-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Hate to think what it would be like if the Spurs had lost their first game.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-02-2005, 10:20 PM
I said this after the first or second game of the season when Mercer was averaging double figures. Every Spurs fan was ready to name him 6th man of the year.

Thus the beauty.

hahaha, okay thats a good call then

but rasho being a bust? benching manu? did you predict rasho to be a spurs bust before we ever announced we were trying to sign him as well?
did you predict we should bench manu before he even started?

timvp
11-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Yes.

:drunk

SequSpur
11-03-2005, 12:20 AM

Bro, I called that whole recruiting class a piece of shit before they got their jersey numbers.

Give credit where credit is due.

:fro

Spurminator
11-03-2005, 12:27 AM
I'd much rather waive Heal.

Was I more right than timvp?

Who was waved first?

:fro

gameFACE
11-03-2005, 12:38 AM
Seeing that the Spurs have had pretty good luck in getting players that pay off i'm not worried yet. But I would advise Rasho fans to start cutting the emotional umbilical cord now........................

wildbill2u
11-03-2005, 12:46 AM

So your idea is that this conspiracy to lower Nasr's value is so important that Pop begins to berate him from the very first game of the season, not for his play, but simply as part of the masterplan?

Pop's gonna forget about winning games this year and having a player respond, it's all about having him whipped into line and sitting on the bench so nobody else will pay the going rate for a center the following year and we can then sign him for Rasho money? :pctoss

With all the ploys and unfathomable playing time decisions Pop is gonna make this year with all these talented guys on the bench, you're gonna drive yourself crazy with these theories--excuse me, "facts."

ploto
11-03-2005, 01:14 AM
Seeing that the Spurs have had pretty good luck in getting players that pay off i'm not worried yet. But I would advise Rasho fans to start cutting the emotional umbilical cord now........................
Sorry, The Spurs aren't even trying to trade Rasho.

Marcus Bryant
11-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Sorry, The Spurs aren't even trying to trade Rasho.

They tried to trade him for the rotting corpse of Tariq Abdul-Wahad's career in August.

SWC Bonfire
11-03-2005, 09:38 AM
This is the best take I've heard in a long while, probably because it's at least partly true, or seems true from the outside looking in. :lol

We'll see as the season goes on. If Nazr becomes more involved and is just getting his ass chewed now because he isn't into the flow of things, that will change in a month or so.

CosmicCowboy
11-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Hmmm...one of the big issues of Nazr Mohammed in NY was that he insisted on fasting during Ramadan. For those of you that don't know, that is basically the month of October. Could it be that the "family problems" was a smoke screen for the fact that Nazr was pulling the same shit again and Pop is still PO'd by it?

Solid D
11-03-2005, 10:28 AM
Hmmm...one of the big issues of Nazr Mohammed in NY was that he insisted on fasting during Ramadan. For those of you that don't know, that is basically the month of October. Could it be that the "family problems" was a smoke screen for the fact that Nazr was pulling the same **** again and Pop is still PO'd by it?

See SA Express-News article on Nazr. If a player isn't ready Pop won't start him. He'll ramp him up and use him in spots.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28275

ChumpDumper
11-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Hmmm...one of the big issues of Nazr Mohammed in NY was that he insisted on fasting during Ramadan. For those of you that don't know, that is basically the month of October. Could it be that the "family problems" was a smoke screen for the fact that Nazr was pulling the same shit again and Pop is still PO'd by it?If you pull that "taking Christmas off" shit again, I'll dock your pay.

Extra Stout
11-03-2005, 11:48 AM
Hmmm...one of the big issues of Nazr Mohammed in NY was that he insisted on fasting during Ramadan. For those of you that don't know, that is basically the month of October. Could it be that the "family problems" was a smoke screen for the fact that Nazr was pulling the same shit again and Pop is still PO'd by it?Well, this year it coincides with October. Sometimes it comes in February or even April.

Since Nazr Mohammed is a devout Muslim, of course he's going to "insist" upon observing Ramadan. And if anybody in the Spurs organization gives him any shit about it, they'll wake up to a nice NBPA greivance and maybe a visit from the EEOC, since they would be violating federal law.

I remember Hakeem Olajuwon observed Ramadan every year. Seems to be he had a pretty decent career.

Ghost Writer
11-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Hubie Brown said on WFAN New York that the Spurs are starting Rasho as a covert way of showcasing him for a trade and that the Spurs are happy with Mohammed... he just needs to get back into season form.

bigbendbruisebrother
11-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Manufacture your own controversy forum. Yawn.

Occham's razor needs to be applied to this thread.

If Nazr sees less playing time this year it's because Pop has more options at center than we've had in a while. Nazr missed a buttload of time in the preseason and came back fasting. Oberto needs to be brought up to speed and his royal serviceableness Rasho needs to get some minutes to hopefully peak some wallowing team into eating his contract.

Conspiracy theories make good novels, but they're pretty pathetic when applied to real life. Go ahead though and spin the tale. God forbid we should get to enjoy the coming season without somebody bitching about something, even if it's an invention of the bitchers' own minds.

Solid D
11-03-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm afraid more than one theorist in here have to weave their way through stacks of old newpapers at home and have locks on their coffee cans.

spurster
11-03-2005, 01:46 PM
I think we should give timvp the Malik treatment.

Bruno
11-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Hubie Brown said on WFAN New York that the Spurs are starting Rasho as a covert way of showcasing him for a trade and that the Spurs are happy with Mohammed... he just needs to get back into season form.

The matter with rasho is that it will be difficult to find a team who can welcome his contract.
Spurs could sweeten the deal with picks, Beno and/or draft rights for Scola and Javtokas.

Marcus Bryant
11-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Excellent idea. Let's ship out more talent.

Old School Chic
11-03-2005, 05:34 PM
I think It's time we all leave poor Malik alone...

He's a Knick now! He's moved on... So you all do the same.

ploto
11-03-2005, 10:02 PM

Not true. Rasho earned the right to start on opening night-- plain and simple. Let's just say the Spurs views on Rasho and Nazr aren't what they were a few months ago.

ploto
11-03-2005, 10:04 PM
They tried to trade him for the rotting corpse of Tariq Abdul-Wahad's career in August.

Last time I checked it is November. Times have changed.

SenorSpur
11-04-2005, 07:12 AM
I do agree that the Spurs ownership and management will definitely be driven toward making a move in order to get under the cap. Whether that is before the trading deadline or this summer, I'm not sure.

However, none of this matters because the goal of this season is to REPEAT as NBA CHAMPIONS. Therefore, the Spurs WILL NOT jeporadize the 5 position by having an inferior player on the court. The best player WILL get the minutes.

I see Nazr eventually moving back into the starting lineup. He's clearly the more active and aggressive player and should continue to do well with more playing time.

Rasho is simply Rasho. Good in spurts, shoots wells, but still lacks quickness and occasionaly takes mental forays into pansyville.

Oberto, on the other hand, aint ready to be the starting center. Maybe later this season, but not now.

timvp
11-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Last four games, Nazr has played 10, 7, 5 and 6 minutes. Pop has put Nazr in a position to fail. Irregular spot minutes can make any average bigman look horrible. Just ask Malik Rose.

Operation: Lower Market Value

Apology Accepted.

ChumpDumper
11-16-2005, 02:58 PM
None given. If Pop is lowering his market value in November when no one is paying attention, what difference would that make if he gets alot of burn in the playoffs like last season?

Jerome James got a full MLE deal from one series for chissakes.

Marcus Bryant
11-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Not if he sits and watches like Radoslav...

ChumpDumper
11-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Not if he sits and watches like Radoslav...If he sits and watches during the playoffs like Rasho, then we don't need him.

Marcus Bryant
11-16-2005, 03:31 PM
...which, of course, is the thesis. Has Pop stuck with a less than optimal playoff rotation before?

ChumpDumper
11-16-2005, 03:42 PM
...which, of course, is the thesis. Has Pop stuck with a less than optimal playoff rotation before?Look, if you think Pop throws seasons to devalue guys like Manu, feel free. I don't agree.

Marcus Bryant
11-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Nah, more like sticking with Radoslav against the most physical frontcourt in the NBA...

GoSpurs21
11-16-2005, 03:57 PM
I think we should give timvp the Malik treatment.You can put Marcus Bryant in there as well

I guess timvp and his lacky side kick mb will blame Pop for lowering Nazr's value by having his ass handed to him by the Hawks. Nice plan Pop way to lower Nazr's value. The bonus is it pisses off timvp and mb...way to go Pop

ChumpDumper
11-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Nah, more like sticking with Radoslav against the most physical frontcourt in the NBA...To devalue Malik and Willis?

Do you even know what you're arguing anymore?

5ToolMan
11-16-2005, 04:40 PM

Rasho started, which wasn't a surprise, but Nazr didn't see the court until the third quarter. When he did get into the game, Pop was all over him the entire game. He got into his face a couple times and even pulled him from the game after a slow rotation by Tim Duncan led to a score. It didn't matter that Duncan was at fault, Nazr got the lashing from Pop.

This is going to be a looooong season for Nazr. Rasho and Oberto will be given every opportunity to win the starting center spot. Nazr will be yanked in and out of games. The San Antonio media won't hesitate to drop rumors of the Spurs being angry with Nazr's progression. As we've already seen, Nazr's family isn't off limits.

It was written.

The only thing I see written above are words of another idiot, as you jump blindly into bed with Timvp.

Pop's only concern is to get this team ready for another set of rings in June!

If Nazr's play demonstrates he is the best option to achieve the end goal, he is on the court. If Rasho, Oberto and Horry combine to give the Spurs more, Nazr gets splinters from sitting on the pine, as he has earned.

Back to the first point. You really need to think before you type!

Duncan, Manu, Parker and Bowen were not sent to the bench in contract years to save money for the future. Each had their opportunities elevated in precontract years, so to justly give the Spurs the best chance at Rings. Stephen Jackson and Turk were also given ample opportunity in their precontract years. And both played good enough to merit contracts high enough that the Spurs had to let them walk. When they did, it is not exactly like the Spurs were crying over the loss. With more time for Manu, and space to add Barry and eventually Finley and NVE, all is good.

The same goes with the Spurs interior. They know there will some turnover in the years ahead. And with a core of Duncan, their choices will be many. If Nazr earns his time, he will get it for as long as it is earned. And if other options are better to bring rings June after June, Nazr will go the way of S-Jack and Turk.

5ToolMan
11-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Why lower Nazr's value?

How about because you intend to start Oberto and let Mohammed walk next summer?

This assumption that the Spurs won't let talent walk is curious, especially since they just did last summer and have done so before. It's also curious because the primary complaint they had about the man they traded for Mohammed was his contract. That desire to pare down long term payroll did not end when Malik left town.

Any other questions?

If you are going to go conspiracy theory, at least try to make some sence.

The Spurs are champions and a emering dynasty because they have been brilliant in surrounding Tim with solid support at budget pricing. Other than Rose, one would be hard pressed to make a valid arguement that the Spurs have overpaid on a single other player. Yes, Rasho is a bargin despite what the lightweights who don't know the game, or those with an agenda want to scream.

Now think! If the Spurs plan on letting Nazr walk no matter what he delivers, they would be much better letting him star in the system as much as possible, IF he could. This would cause some idiot GM to go nuts, and blow his cap for years over a very marginal player. Or, they could do a sign and trade, perhaps combining him with another player they chose to move, and get someone they really want.

It is never in a teams interest to let a player sit to somehow lower his market value. If you can help deliver the rings, you play. If you are not the best choice, you sit. End of discussion.

Marcus Bryant
11-16-2005, 05:10 PM
The Spurs couldn't give Radoslav away for the rotting corpse of TAW's career a few months back.

Marcus Bryant
11-16-2005, 05:12 PM
To devalue Malik and Willis?

No, the issue was Pop's stubborness.

Do you even know what you're arguing anymore?

Yes.

Marcus Bryant
11-16-2005, 05:12 PM
You can put Marcus Bryant in there as well

I guess timvp and his lacky side kick mb will blame Pop for lowering Nazr's value by having his ass handed to him by the Hawks. Nice plan Pop way to lower Nazr's value. The bonus is it pisses off timvp and mb...way to go Pop

Some chance Mohammed got in that game.

ChumpDumper
11-16-2005, 05:58 PM
The Spurs couldn't give Radoslav away for the rotting corpse of TAW's career a few months back.The fact they already had four (technically five) centers didn't make any difference

No, the issue was Pop's stubborness.Yeah, that's the topic of the thread.

T Park
11-16-2005, 07:11 PM
So Pop purposely lost the 03 04 season, so they could lower Malik's value.

WTF!??!?!!?

The sanity of this forum is going right the fuck out the window.

ploto
11-16-2005, 11:04 PM
Last four games, Nazr has played 10, 7, 5 and 6 minutes. Pop has put Nazr in a position to fail. Irregular spot minutes can make any average bigman look horrible. Just ask Malik Rose.

If Nazr isn't earning the minutes in practice, he should sit. He is still LOST all the time on both ends of the floor. Oberto knows where to be better than him.

Nazr got his chance last night in the first quarter and he sucked!

timvp
01-12-2006, 10:50 PM

It was written.

Got damn timvp is good.

Here we are almost half way through the season and Nazr still hasn't gotten any real opportunity to play. He's had spot minutes here and there, but I can't remember the last time Pop put him in a position to succeed.

The Spurs aren't going to win a championship with Rasho at center. He's too soft and too bad of a rebounder. He's scared to mix it up and against the tougher teams in the league Rasho will fold.

Nazr isn't that good of a player, but he's pretty tough and will at least attempt to rebound. His defense has been horrible this season, however more consistent playing time should help fix that.

People said timvp was crazy in saying Pop would jack around with Nazr's minutes.

He was right.

It done been written.

timvp
01-12-2006, 11:32 PM
Nothing?

I know it's annoying when timvp is right but 45 minutes after the worst loss of the season and nobody is even going to chime in?

Weird.

ShoogarBear
01-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Allow me to be the first:

http://www.fullsportpress.com/backpatternew.gif

SouthernFried
01-12-2006, 11:52 PM
Nazr is simply better than Rasho. Tho, I think Rasho has better fundamentals and court awareness...he just doesn't have the abilities Nazr has. Nazr does more to help this team win, than does Rasho.

Pop finally let Manu do his own thing...I think he'd be better letting Nazr do his thing. There's always a couple of Defensive lapses with Nazr..but, there's always some turnovers with Manu.

It comes down to...Nazr is better than Rasho, and helps our team more. Pop needs to get over the defensive x and o's...and focus a lot more on the overall game. Which also includes an offensive side of the court.

TDMVPDPOY
01-13-2006, 12:20 AM
Seriously when nazr was with the knicks on sum nites dude was pullin down 16rebs, fuckn here in SA ,DUDE cant even beat rasho for teh starting spot let alone play like that for once.

leemajors
01-13-2006, 12:24 AM
nazr is playing nowhere near the level he was last year. he hasn't earned any minutes, and comes in and sucks it up just as bad or worse than rasho.

Kori Ellis
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
Pop's quote on Nazr after the game tonight when asked why he only played five minutes, "I just played the guys that I thought deserved to play."

baseline bum
01-13-2006, 12:41 AM
What did Nazr do? The whole game I was thinking Nazr must have done something really fucked-up in practice to not be getting minutes on a night when Rasho had his head stuck so far up his vagina.

SenorSpur
01-13-2006, 01:13 AM
If any of you out there think Oberto is gonna make as a starting center - think again. Sure he may have moments against the lesser talented teams in the league, but there's no way in hell he can match up against Detroit's frontline. He too light and hasn't shown to be the bruiser the Spurs need at that position.

Which is why the Spurs need to figure out a way to integrate Nazr back into the lineup. Say what you want, but he's still the best offensive rebounder on the team. He gives the Spurs the bulk and aggressive needed to negate the Wallace boys. See last years championship series.

Also, check the free agent landscape this upcoming summer. There aint no other FA centers out there - outside of Ben Wallace and you know he aint going nowhere.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&id=2287515

If you notice, the Spurs have gotten their asses whipped on the boards in each game versus Detroit. As Doug Collins put it "Rasho simply doesn't have the foot speed or quickness needed to get to those loose rebounds". That said, tell me who the Spurs should trade.

The Spurs would be big fools to let this guy go. I wish someone would clue me in as to why Pop and the coaches are still down on him.

TDMGTP
01-13-2006, 01:25 AM
If you can recall on Xmas day vs detroit NAZR started the second half and he was extremely active 17 min 5-7FG 5 rebounds(2 on O) even 1ast and 10pts. POP is a dumbass for not giving Nazr a chance, I think he is really trying to lower his value so that the spurs could sign him after this season, otherwise nazr would be tearing it up but he would have to get paid this offseason. I do agree his defense still needs work but he hasnt got much game experience, only way he is going learn is by putting him in actual games.

im really hoping the NAZZZ man gets some more mins.

E20
01-13-2006, 02:18 AM
If you can recall on Xmas day vs detroit NAZR started the second half and he was extremely active 17 min 5-7FG 5 rebounds(2 on O) even 1ast and 10pts. POP is a dumbass for not giving Nazr a chance, I think he is really trying to lower his value so that the spurs could sign him after this season, otherwise nazr would be tearing it up but he would have to get paid this offseason. I do agree his defense still needs work but he hasnt got much game experience, only way he is going learn is by putting him in actual games.

im really hoping the NAZZZ man gets some more mins.
It's hell of to bring down his value. :hat

Das Texan
01-13-2006, 02:52 AM
I dont care what the fuck we do, give Nazr minutes, give Marks minutes, just dont give that fucking woman Rasho minutes.

Its really unfortunate how much Nazr has gotten fucked over this year.

Slo spurs fan
01-13-2006, 04:51 AM
Nazr Getting The Malik Treatment

And he deserve this!

Dre_7
01-13-2006, 04:52 AM
And he deserve this!

Why?? Cuz hes not Slovenian?

Slo spurs fan
01-13-2006, 04:54 AM
No, cuz he sucks even worse

Dre_7
01-13-2006, 05:03 AM
No, cuz he sucks even worse

Did you watch the 2005 NBA Playoffs? Just wondering.

Slo spurs fan
01-13-2006, 05:08 AM
It is 2006 now!
Forget 2005 already.

alamo50
01-13-2006, 05:11 AM
I for one am not getting this.
Getting pissed at Pop.

timvp
05-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Damn, CIA Pop is on fire these days.

Mohammed's value is now in the twenties. Props.

sa_butta
05-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Maybe New York will trade us back to get Malik back.:lol

CosmicCowboy
05-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Damn, CIA Pop is on fire these days.

Mohammed's value is now in the twenties. Props.

Damn LJ...thats exactly what I was thinking...:lol

spurs=bling
05-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Maybe New York will trade us back to get Malik back.:lol
:lol

timvp
05-08-2006, 05:44 PM
It's going to be classic when the Spurs re-sign him on the cheap.

:rollin

leemajors
05-08-2006, 05:46 PM
It's going to be classic when the Spurs re-sign him on the cheap.

:rollin

nooooooooooooooooooo

timvp
05-08-2006, 05:49 PM
5-years, $25M here we come . . .

timvp
05-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Unless, of course, the Spurs think one of the Euro projects can be a legit center. In that case, adios Nazr.

Walton Buys Off Me
05-08-2006, 05:51 PM
I agree with timvp on this one.

Let me say this- Mohammed has been a disappointment this season. I fully expected this guy to spend the better part of the summer improving his game and getting a better grasp of the system. Instead he chilled with his family. You can't fault a man for that- his son was sick towards the end of the summer but for a guy that is relatively new to a team and going into a contract year, I think spending more time in August and September at the Spurs' practice facility would have been a good idea.

That being said, he still brings more to the table than Rasho Nesterovic 9 times out of ten. If Gregg Popovich thinks that Rasho is going to get it done against the Pistons, he obviously forgets that Detroit outrebounded us by over 20 in both games this year- a direct result of Rasho's pussycat presence.

Free Mohammed, but don't necessarily resign him this summer. He's just the lesser of two evils in my opinion. Rasho is smarter but Mohammed is more of a presence. We need the latter against the Pistons.

CosmicCowboy
05-08-2006, 05:52 PM
5-years, $25M here we come . . .

naaa...3 year $15M with team option for the 4th...:lol

Cant_Be_Faded
05-08-2006, 05:52 PM
LOL i was waiting to see at topic about this. I totally agree. Pop's use of NAzr is making him look worthless. Classic. He's playing Rasho (who has to be playing the worst ball of his career right now) major minutes, then plays nazr in garbage time. It makes Nazr look even WORSE.

Totally awesome. :tu

timvp
05-08-2006, 05:53 PM
naaa...3 year $15M with team option for the 4th...:lol

I like the way you think.

boutons_
05-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Spurs can't carry 2 bigs who don't add up effectively to one big.

Both are terribly disappointing, to be kind.

Give Robert some HGH and testosterone and ride him out a couple more years. :lol

CosmicCowboy
05-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Spurs can't carry 2 bigs who don't add up effectively to one big.

Both are terribly disappointing, to be kind.

Give Robert some HGH and testosterone and ride him out a couple more years. :lol

In case you haven't noticed there aren't a lot of superstar 5's in the pipeline for any teams...

T Park
05-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Id see what Chicago, Seattle, and Indiana wanna give up in a sign and trade for him.

Robert Swift, Loul Deng, Stephen Jackson, Fred Jones, Jeff Foster are all possibilities to get for him.

boutons_
05-08-2006, 06:20 PM
I have noticed, but so what? If one was available,
Spurs couldn't draft him.
Spurs couldn't trade/pay for him.

We don't need a superstar. All we need is a Rasho playing here like he played his last year at Wolves, plus the defense he's picked up.

T Park
05-08-2006, 06:22 PM
All we need is a Rasho playing here like he played his last year at Wolves, plus the defense he's picked up.

11 points 8 boards 2 blocks, solid D.

THATS ALL!!!!

A-Train
05-08-2006, 06:25 PM
All the Spurs need is for someone to bite on Rasho's contract. After this season he has 3 years and about $23.7 mil left on his deal.

A-Train
05-08-2006, 06:27 PM
As for Malik, all the Spurs need is for the Knicks to go through one of their purges and buy him out.

CosmicCowboy
05-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Id see what Chicago, Seattle, and Indiana wanna give up in a sign and trade for him.

Robert Swift, Loul Deng, Stephen Jackson, Fred Jones, Jeff Foster are all possibilities to get for him.

Free agent sign and trades are almost a fan forum urban legend. I remember the last one we did and as I remember you and 90% of the spurs forums screamed like a stuck pig...*hint* the trade was with Portland.

T Park
05-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Yeah they never happen......

JLH Fans
05-09-2006, 04:25 AM

How about Jaric+Hudson+Blount for Timmy?

timvp
06-26-2006, 01:47 AM
Bump.

With Rasho traded, perhaps the Spurs do the unthinkable and keep Nazr. I know every Spurs fan alive is already counting on him exiting, but perhaps Nazr for cheap wouldn't be a bad idea. His stock can't get any lower and to be fair to him, he's never been through a training camp with the Spurs. His negatives are plentiful, but he is a good rebounder and a decent offensive player.

I think if the Spurs can sign him for a decent contract ($15-20M deal), it'd be worth it. Chances are other teams will offer him double that but if teams are scared off because of Nazr's lack of playing time down the stretch of the season, signing him is still an option.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2006, 01:49 AM
He is taller than Reggie Evans and less prone to grab another man's sac.

Mr. Body
06-26-2006, 01:50 AM
This seems to be the best bet right now. If someone outbids SA, then fine. But they won't find good inside help quite so easily. I can see Nazr remaining a Spur...

and then getting stuck behind Javtokas in the rotation.

baseline bum
06-26-2006, 01:54 AM
I was really disappointed in Nazr's rebounding every time I saw him this year... not to mention his defense. He seemed to go Jaren Jackson on us after a great run in 2005... he prob should've waited until after he signed the new contract though.

whottt
06-26-2006, 01:55 AM
What makes anyone think Nazr wants to come back here?

IIRC he was making noises about being unhappy when we were playing the Mavs...

I think Nazr is pissed at the Spurs not playing him...for reasons of contract and personal pride.

Kori Ellis
06-26-2006, 01:55 AM
I don't want Nazr at any price. He just doesn't get it.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2006, 01:58 AM
I was really disappointed in Nazr's rebounding every time I saw him this year... not to mention his defense. He seemed to go Jaren Jackson on us after a great run in 2005... he prob should've waited until after he signed the new contract though.Well, I think he was too busy thinking about the defense and forgot how to do the only thing he did well -- rebound.

We would be well-advised not to expect any other one-dimensional players to suddenly evolve as Spurs.

Mr. Body
06-26-2006, 02:03 AM
I don't want Nazr at any price. He just doesn't get it.

I don't really, either, but apart from pulling Mahinmi too soon off the vine, I don't see many other answers.

timvp
06-26-2006, 02:05 AM
I was really disappointed in Nazr's rebounding every time I saw him this year

I thought he was pretty horrible rebounding the ball too but his numbers are pretty nice.

Ranks #4 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(5.6)
Ranks #18 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(8.8)
Ranks #9 in the NBA in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(14.4)

If he can be had at the right price, I think going through a training camp would do wonders for his defense. He'll never be a good defender but he can get back to what he was during the 2005 run. Last year he regressed overall ... but that was due largely to the Malik treatment he was receiving.

Mr. Body
06-26-2006, 02:06 AM
Last year he regressed overall ... but that was due largely to the Malik treatment he was receiving.

But has any player EVER survived the Malik treatment? It seems once in the Pop doghouse, a player never, ever gets out.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2006, 02:08 AM
Thank God we threw that Mav series to get Nazr's price down.

polandprzem
06-26-2006, 02:21 AM

hehe yea

Well If not in the summer we still have a half of a season to trade him if he signs with the spurs.
But ofcourse I agree that he is not a good player for the spurs, like Kori said "he don't get it". How come a player being with the team more then a year do not know the plays? Where to be and things like that?

venitian navigator
06-26-2006, 04:17 AM
There are not so many teams that could afford a big contract for Nazr...
One is Chicago (but in see them go after KG and Wallace...), the other, maybe, N.O.
If he doesn't receive big offers from these teams, it will be our turn to play.
I think that, if we don't find a way to sign and trade him (one of the best options : trade him with package for Speedy and package), we should simply sign him at the cheaper price as possible (* or -...the money of a mid level excepion)...and give him the chance to win the place to be our second big man.
His rebounding numbers per minute, considering that he had the worst season he could ever have had, are still impressive...and we have to consider that one of our recent liabilities has been...rebounding!

Obstructed_View
06-26-2006, 05:43 AM
You can't teach size. The asking price will be too high. If by some miracle it isn't then I say keep him.

boutons_
06-26-2006, 07:12 AM
"You can't teach size"

You can't teach 6'10" Nazr anything, not defense, not rebounding, not hustle, not floor vision. Low BB IQ, no big man fundamentals. He averaged a miserable 6 pts and 5 RBs in 17 MPG last season.

Pop couldn't find reasons to play a starter even 1.5 qtrs.

picnroll
06-26-2006, 08:13 AM
The "Malik Treatment" has been one cockamamie theory. The best thing the Spurs could have done was have an increased value for Nazr. That would have meant fewer teams that could afford him withut trading with the Spurs as he'd be above the MLE. Right now you won't see him getting more than MLE so teams won't have to do a S&T with the Spurs, just give him MLE or less. And you won't see a cheap Nazr retained by the Spurs because they don't want him, not unless he is extremely cheap, which won't happen. Fact is Nazr didn't play because he didn't have the smarts to get the job done not some Spurs' conspiracy.

SPARKY
06-26-2006, 08:22 AM
The "Malik Treatment" has been one cockamamie theory. The best thing the Spurs could have done was have an increased value for Nazr. That would have meant fewer teams that could afford him withut trading with the Spurs as he'd be above the MLE. Right now you won't see him getting more than MLE so teams won't have to do a S&T with the Spurs, just give him MLE or less. And you won't see a cheap Nazr retained by the Spurs because they don't want him, not unless he is extremely cheap, which won't happen. Fact is Nazr didn't play because he didn't have the smarts to get the job done not some Spurs' conspiracy.

Well, the theory was that the Spurs were seeking to minimize his asking price this summer. A job well done.

If Mohammed could be had for, oh, say $18 mil over 4 years you don't believe the Spurs would be all over that?

picnroll
06-26-2006, 08:39 AM
If Mohammed could be had for, oh, say $18 mil over 4 years you don't believe the Spurs would be all over that?
Honestly, I hope not. Nazr has had much less than stellar careers with the 76ers, Hawks, Knicks and now the Spurs. He's a journeyman that just doesn't get it. Pop thought he could make a player out of Nazr but he couldn't. A few offensive rebounds isn't enough.

In any event somebody will give Nazr MLE or close to it just to find out he's not the answer. The fact the SPurs don't match will tell you how highly they value him.

gospursgojas
06-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Please RC, Pop dont make the same mistake with Nazr that you made with Rasho and Malik

Bruno
06-26-2006, 08:57 AM
The "Malik Treatment" has been one cockamamie theory.

Agree and the worst thing about this "theory" is that it can't apply to malik :lol : Spurs had no reason to lower his market value.

Nazr will likely get full MLE offers that is to say $30M/5 years.

Quadzilla99
06-26-2006, 10:49 AM
He is taller than Reggie Evans and less prone to grab another man's sac.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-26-2006, 05:44 PM

:lol no shit

i doubt it even works...and i am sure he feels bad after getting that treatment too

ducks
06-26-2006, 05:49 PM
if nazr can be had for 4 years for 20 million
spurs could trade his ass anytime they wanted to

that would be a cheap big