PDA

View Full Version : Poll: When will Flopovich find the right starting line up?

RC_Drunkford
12-14-2019, 11:20 PM
25 games into the season and grandpa still doesn't know who to start. Should it be White or Murray at point? Should it be Lyles or Gay at PF? Or should Poeltl start at C with LaMarcus sliding to PF? When it's actually starting Walker for Forbes

timvp
12-14-2019, 11:27 PM
Is this a new phenomenon? Pop has always played mad scientist with his rotations and starting lineups, particularly in the first half of the season. Hell, Nazr Mohammed didn't become a full-time starter until like game 78 or 79 :lol

RC_Drunkford
12-14-2019, 11:39 PM
Is this a new phenomenon? Pop has always played mad scientist with his rotations and starting lineups, particularly in the first half of the season. Hell, Nazr Mohammed didn't become a full-time starter until like game 78 or 79 :lol

I can't remember the last time he was that confused on who he should start. It took him a lot of time last season, but he still figured it out in time. This season I don't think he'll ever get there

Floyd Pacquiao
12-14-2019, 11:43 PM
It's tough to find a good starting line up when 2 of your "stars" with fragile egos struggle to shoot 3s, imho.
But White/Walker/Derozan/Metu/Aldridge is the way to go tbh

ZeusWillJudge
12-14-2019, 11:46 PM
Pop will find the right starting lineup if he goes to another team with a different bunch of players. But that's a different story.

I straight up don't understand him not starting the last 5 that he finished with last season, who came within a hair of a first round upset. The confusion over the way he opened this season has rippled through ever since. Why would he not start right there, and then make adjustments if necessary? This is the team that has thrived on continuity for his whole tenure.

And if he's such a "mad scientist" why wouldn't he have at least experimented with Forbes coming off the bench by now? What the hell... a game or two to see how it looks? Maybe sliding DDR back to a more-natural 2, and seeing how that fits? This isn't his normal tinkering. This is rigidity - at least in the most important places.

UZER
12-14-2019, 11:52 PM
The right starting lineup does not have Forbes in it, and he ain’t benching his little UFA he’s so proud of. So never.

RC_Drunkford
12-15-2019, 12:06 AM
It's tough to find a good starting line up when 2 of your "stars" with fragile egos struggle to shoot 3s, imho.
But White/Walker/Derozan/Metu/Aldridge is the way to go tbh

I'd actually like to see how Metu would play in that role. Neither Lyles nor Gay are starters. Neither is Metu, but he's athletic, can run the floor, defend switches and can block shots. If his G-League jumper somehow translates into the NBA, he'd be useful and by his skill set he might be the best fit for the starting line up out of the 3.

apalisoc_9

mad scientist...

dis nigga actually think hes a mad scientist this year :lmao

sasaint
Pop will find the right starting lineup if he goes to another team with a different bunch of players. But that's a different story.

I straight up don't understand him not starting the last 5 that he finished with last season, who came within a hair of a first round upset. The confusion over the way he opened this season has rippled through ever since. Why would he not start right there, and then make adjustments if necessary? This is the team that has thrived on continuity for his whole tenure.

And if he's such a "mad scientist" why wouldn't he have at least experimented with Forbes coming off the bench by now? What the hell... a game or two to see how it looks? Maybe sliding DDR back to a more-natural 2, and seeing how that fits? This isn't his normal tinkering. This is rigidity - at least in the most important places.

Yep. Exactly. This is craziness beyond "mad scientist" and re-jiggering beyond normal tinkering. Plus he doesn't have the immense stability and self-certainty of Tim, Tony and Manu to keep the ship steady while he works his madness.

RC_Drunkford
12-15-2019, 12:09 AM
mad scientist...

sniff sniff :lol

RC_Drunkford
12-15-2019, 12:11 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking too. Before the season people thought the Spurs would come out strong from the go, cause they have that continuity. Just start the team that made the playoffs last year and run your sets while other teams still try to figure things out.

talkspurs
12-15-2019, 12:13 AM

He was also traded for halfway through the season so him not getting added till late is not quite so bad as this. It may have been later in the season but it was not as many games into his Spurs career. Why he sticks with forbes nobody knows. I am also ready for him to try Metu at some PF min to see what he actually does.

Sugus
12-15-2019, 12:22 AM
Lonnie and Metu's best chance at sniffing the starting lineup involves a tanking Spurs team, tbh. I think we'll naturally glide there so it's really a matter of time.

timvp
12-15-2019, 02:04 AM
I straight up don't understand him not starting the last 5 that he finished with last season, who came within a hair of a first round upset. The confusion over the way he opened this season has rippled through ever since. Why would he not start right there, and then make adjustments if necessary? You don't see a problem with this Aldridge playing power forward in this NBA, tbh?

timvp
12-15-2019, 02:07 AM
mad scientist...

You missed the point.

The question shouldn't be: ":cry When will Pop settle on a starting lineup? :cry"

It should be: ":cry Why isn't Pop juggling the lineup even more like he used to do? :cry"

Back in his heyday, we'd see a whole lot more changes to the starting lineup and rotations than we've witnessed this season.

r0drig0lac
12-15-2019, 06:49 AM
The right starting lineup does not have Forbes in it, and he ain’t benching his little UFA he’s so proud of. So never.

Cryptic Parable
12-15-2019, 06:59 AM
When our talent level improves via trade and/or draft

paperboy77
12-15-2019, 09:23 AM
Once the vets help clinch that 9 seed.

boutons_deux
12-15-2019, 09:39 AM
You missed the point.

The question shouldn't be: ":cry When will Pop settle on a starting lineup? :cry"

It should be: ":cry Why isn't Pop juggling the lineup even more like he used to do? :cry"

Back in his heyday, we'd see a whole lot more changes to the starting lineup and rotations than we've witnessed this season.

Tim, Manu, Tony, Bruce, and one more starter were almost never touched.

offset formation
12-15-2019, 10:26 AM

He basically has the last two games. Not sure he played in the second half more than 5 minutes total over both games

Truth4sale$
12-15-2019, 10:57 AM
When he realizes he needs to start Walker over Forbes!

apalisoc_9
12-15-2019, 11:33 AM
He was also traded for halfway through the season so him not getting added till late is not quite so bad as this. It may have been later in the season but it was not as many games into his Spurs career. Why he sticks with forbes nobody knows. I am also ready for him to try Metu at some PF min to see what he actually does.

I forgot about nazr starting late because he was traded halfway.

Leave it to SniffMVP to manipulate circumstances to fit the sniffgenda

RC_Drunkford
12-15-2019, 12:01 PM
When he realizes he needs to start Walker over Forbes!

that equals to never

You missed the point.

bullshit. Tim and Tony were always starters. That's the same like this season. Aldridge and DeRozan will always start. It's about which 3 players you put around them and with Tony and Tim it was Bruce Bowen for a long stretch. Your amount of PATFO sniffing is reaching crackhead status tbh

Popovich has no clue what to do and he told reporters the same thing. This means he can not evaluate peoples basketball skills the right way, which is why this franchise is stuck with this shittyass roster of scrubs and is also the reason why he plays people cause he likes their personality. That's what happens when your front office values other things more than basketball skills

BackHome
12-15-2019, 03:56 PM
Hopefully never want to do continue to tank this team needs to upgrade the following:
1. Forbes
2. Beli
3. LMA
4. Derizz
5. Gay

My Fault
12-15-2019, 04:13 PM
Joined 2018, tbh

tbdog
12-15-2019, 05:28 PM
Walker in for Forbes to start. Carroll and Beli split for DD when resting. More minutes for Poeltl. Mills, White, Walker, Murray cover guard minutes. No more Forbes.

TD 21
12-15-2019, 06:07 PM
Probably never. There's no ideal rotation on a roster this illfitting, but relatively speaking . . .

Gay
DeRozan
Aldridge/Poeltl
Walker/Mills
Murray/White

Carroll, Forbes, Lyles, Belinelli, should all be utilized situationally to fill out the final two rotation spots, but it'd probably be best if their minutes were in that order.

Murray/White is 50/50. I'd rather White play with the bench, but if Murray's lack of 3-point shooting becomes too much of an issue, swap them.

JeffDuncan
12-15-2019, 11:09 PM
Carroll, Forbes, Lyles, Belinelli, should all be utilized situationally to fill out the final two rotation spots, but it'd probably be best if their minutes were in that order.

Yeah, situational. For example, the situation to use Forbes is when you don't want any defense, and preferably no scoring, either.

You've got both Carroll and Forbes ahead of Lyles. That's it, now we know you're part of the Russian conspiracy to destroy America. You might as well confess.

Dhbsr555
12-15-2019, 11:30 PM
When his wife comes home

SPURt
12-15-2019, 11:47 PM
When his wife comes home
ouch

She is home... with Jesus

DPG21920
12-16-2019, 02:08 AM
When his wife comes home

You’re an idiot

apalisoc_9
12-16-2019, 02:20 AM
that equals to never

bullshit. Tim and Tony were always starters. That's the same like this season. Aldridge and DeRozan will always start. It's about which 3 players you put around them and with Tony and Tim it was Bruce Bowen for a long stretch. Your amount of PATFO sniffing is reaching crackhead status tbh

Popovich has no clue what to do and he told reporters the same thing. This means he can not evaluate peoples basketball skills the right way, which is why this franchise is stuck with this shittyass roster of scrubs and is also the reason why he plays people cause he likes their personality. That's what happens when your front office values other things more than basketball skills

He knows but hes stubborn scrah. Hes lost it. Forbes is trash. Hes officially worst than bonner in my eyes...far worse.

ZeusWillJudge
12-16-2019, 02:57 AM
You don't see a problem with this Aldridge playing power forward in this NBA, tbh?

I'll be honest with you, LJ. The change in Aldridge has taken place slowly, and I let some of it slip by me. I was watching him last game and thinking about him matching up with Tim in the past, and I realized just how different he really is. I barely recognize this Aldridge. I understand that players age, and I understand that he's always had some limitations in his game. But he looks like a guy going through the motions, and the results say the same. But I've also gotten to the point that I don't have a clue how much of the problem with the system is the players vs. how much of the problem with the players is the system.

So, yeah, I've got a problem with this Aldridge. I'm not so sure he would be this Aldridge, if this season had started by building on how they finished last season. He's not a young, prototypical new-NBA PF, but I think he's still serviceable.

I do know that centers (except for the obvious superstars) need a few years before you know what they're really going to be. I'm starting to have hope that Poeltl has turned that corner, and might turn out to be worthy of that draft pick. Put this Poeltl on that squad that went 7 with Denver last season, and I think they would have advanced - just on the basis of that little extra pop in the middle.

:cry
When will Pop settle on a starting lineup? :cry"It should be: ":cry
Why isn't Pop juggling the lineup even more like he used to do?:cry"

And that is what I was trying to say, and just didn't say it as well. This is rigidity. I don't know who this Pop is, either.

ZeusWillJudge
12-16-2019, 03:13 AM
He knows but hes stubborn scrah. Hes lost it. Forbes is trash. Hes officially worst than bonner in my eyes...far worse.

I don't know how to compare an undersized, one-dimensional 2 guard to a role player stretch 4 who played in a totally different era. But I don't think I've ever seen a player intentionally victimized by opposing offenses as consistently and obviously as Forbes. Bryn made 176 3's last season - the most Bonner ever made in a season was 118. Forbes ought to be perfect for this new style of play. But his defense is pathetic. The other teams are coming down the floor looking for him.

So, yeah, I agree - I think he's worse than Bonner too. And maybe the worst thing about him his that he makes so many 3's, Pop thinks he has to be on the floor. I think that's like selling stuff below cost, and trying to make up for it in volume.

TD 21
12-16-2019, 04:48 PM
Yeah, situational. For example, the situation to use Forbes is when you don't want any defense, and preferably no scoring, either.

You've got both Carroll and Forbes ahead of Lyles. That's it, now we know you're part of the Russian conspiracy to destroy America. You might as well confess.

Forbes' spacing and Carroll being about the closest thing they have to a big wing defender, are more needed than Lyles' traditional "PF" size and defensive rebounding.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-16-2019, 06:44 PM
As soon as the team gets a decent roster.

RC_Drunkford
01-03-2020, 12:03 AM
bump

UZER
01-03-2020, 12:09 AM

JeffDuncan
01-03-2020, 12:11 AM
The answer to the original question has become clearer:

Never.

Forbes could accidentally hang himself in the netting, and Pop would still find a way to screw up the starting lineup, and the rotations.

RC_Drunkford
01-03-2020, 12:16 AM
The answer to the original question has become clearer:

Never.

Forbes could accidentally hang himself in the netting, and Pop would still find a way to screw up the starting lineup, and the rotations.

yeah cause he would start Belinelli

slick'81
01-03-2020, 12:20 AM
yeah cause he would start Belinelli

Sadly,that may be an upgrade

RC_Drunkford
02-08-2020, 05:58 PM
still trying to find it huh?

RC_Drunkford
02-08-2020, 05:59 PM

so how has his tinkering worked out SniffVP? :lmao

dbestpro
02-08-2020, 06:05 PM
Spurs did not trade anyone expecting to get help in the buyout market, but the word is out that Pop has lost his mind and no one wants to sign with SA.