PDA

View Full Version : DeMar DeRozan Is Bigger Than Basketball

DC23
12-18-2019, 11:11 AM
Part of the "Cold as Balls Interview Series" with Kevin Hart. Talks a little bit about Pop around the 10 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqdVS20qZvY

JeffDuncan
12-18-2019, 11:35 AM
Ah yes, YouTube, the technological miracle where every crazy faggot can do a freak show.

Interesting about Pop, tho. Sez DeMar, Pop's fundamental approach to his players is to tell them, "fuck basketball." Raise your hand if you had already suspected that.

RC_Drunkford
12-18-2019, 11:43 AM
That's exactly why this franchise went to shit. They run this basketball team like it's a mental health institution

J_Paco
12-18-2019, 01:51 PM
That's exactly why this franchise went to shit. They run this basketball team like it's a mental health institution

Gosh, I could have sworn it was because they lost four future HOFers - one who was in his prime and the cornerstone - in a span of 3 years!

Who thought caring about mental health issues was at fault?! Only the sleuths on ST knew the true reasoning....

jermaine
12-18-2019, 02:09 PM
These fans want headcases that get suspended gms an be in tech trouble. They want that "Nasty" all the time.

Genovaswitness
12-18-2019, 02:25 PM
These fans want headcases that get suspended gms an be in tech trouble. They want that "Nasty" all the time.

I’d rather have that than the psycho depressed loser freak derozan

TDomination
12-18-2019, 02:32 PM
haha

Hart "have you ever thought about flipping kawhi off? F U Kawhi! (imitates laugh)"
Derozan "no"

and derozans assessment on Pop is exactly what we always say. Derozan says that Pop is like "F*** Basketball. We are bigger than basketball. How are you doing as a person, how can I make you a better person?"
Definitely sounds like a better life coach vs a basketball coach.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that Pop genuinely cares for his players. having true love for your guys is extraordinary. But in the end, its about winning games. And when that stops happening then you gots to go.

duncan2k5
12-18-2019, 02:42 PM
haha

Hart "have you ever thought about flipping kawhi off? F U Kawhi! (imitates laugh)"
Derozan "no"

and derozans assessment on Pop is exactly what we always say. Derozan says that Pop is like "F*** Basketball. We are bigger than basketball. How are you doing as a person, how can I make you a better person?"
Definitely sounds like a better life coach vs a basketball coach.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that Pop genuinely cares for his players. having true love for your guys is extraordinary. But in the end, its about winning games. And when that stops happening then you gots to go.

That's why he has kid gloves with LMA and DDR...He is afraid of fracturing their fragile egos...it's also why he plays Forbes unreal minutes...that's his pet project

koriwhat
12-18-2019, 02:55 PM
pop probably came to this conclusion 110% finally after his wife passed... i don't blame him but if bball isn't life to a basketball player let alone a coach then it's time to hang it up.

TDomination
12-18-2019, 03:00 PM
sounds to me like Pop would be better off coaching college kids or even HS kids. Telling them that sports aren't everything, there is more to life than that.

DMC
12-18-2019, 06:12 PM
Part of the "Cold as Balls Interview Series" with Kevin Hart. Talks a little bit about Pop around the 10 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqdVS20qZvY

His salary is bigger than his ability to play basketball.

cd98
12-18-2019, 06:16 PM
Pop can always stop by and being their motivational speaker for altruism and self care, but why not pick someone hungry for a title to coach this team?

KobesAchilles
12-18-2019, 06:59 PM
I think he meant he is literally bigger than a basketball

RC_Drunkford
12-18-2019, 07:22 PM
pop probably came to this conclusion 110% finally after his wife passed... i don't blame him but if bball isn't life to a basketball player let alone a coach then it's time to hang it up.

nah he's been saying that type of shit before she passed away. I think it's an after effect of 2014

koriwhat
12-18-2019, 07:24 PM
nah he's been saying that type of shit before she passed away. I think it's an after effect of 2014

i remember the same but i always thought it was more of a passing statement... these days i truly believe pop buys into it. he's not mistaken but when you are paid millions to do that job then bball is life.

said7
12-18-2019, 07:57 PM
You want your boss to be all about work and drill your ass 24/7? Or do you think you'd be a more productive/loyal employee if your boss was respected but cared about your well being. Name a single drill sergeant coach that has made it in the NBA.

koriwhat
12-18-2019, 08:02 PM
You want your boss to be all about work and drill your ass 24/7? Or do you think you'd be a more productive/loyal employee if your boss was respected but cared about your well being. Name a single drill sergeant coach that has made it in the NBA.

if i was making millions my boss can be whatever as long as i am still taking millions home at the end of the yr. these kids need to learn to grow the fuck up and deal with it because it's either millions pushing a ball in the hoop or mcdonalds.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
12-18-2019, 08:53 PM
This thread is a parade of emo imbecility.

Pop has been awful this season, without a doubt. I hope he retires this year and Becky gets the job. But for so many people here, that isn’t enough. Now the revision is that Pop has always been an awful coach. That’s a huge stretch. It’s not even a leap of logic. It’s all emotion twisting everyone’s mind into this warped narrative.

Strange year.

jjktkk
12-18-2019, 09:10 PM
This thread is a parade of emo imbecility.

Pop has been awful this season, without a doubt. I hope he retires this year and Becky gets the job. But for so many people here, that isn’t enough. Now the revision is that Pop has always been an awful coach. That’s a huge stretch. It’s not even a leap of logic. It’s all emotion twisting everyone’s mind into this warped narrative.

Strange year.

There are quite a few stupid Spur's fans on here. But they also troll, so there's that.

TheRemix
12-18-2019, 09:12 PM
sounds to me like Pop would be better off coaching college kids or even HS kids. Telling them that sports aren't everything, there is more to life than that.

This. These are grown men playing a ball game. Just try to win some games FFS

ducks
12-18-2019, 10:39 PM
His balls are not bigger then basketball

J_Paco
12-18-2019, 11:34 PM

Let the circle jerk crew go with their moronic narrative, homie. Pop is doing a piss-poor job to end his coaching career, but these clowns on ST couldn't coach coach a preschool team let alone a NBA team full of egos and self interests.

J_Paco
12-18-2019, 11:41 PM
https://youtu.be/BFBiGfB0K7I

No body had to tell this guy "We're bigger than basketball"

That's why HE is the GOAT and his coach is a coat tailing Con Man

only idiots like Demar Lamar Eat up that Bullshit he Spews.

remember "it hurts" somebody wrote around here.

Sure, the greatest coach in the team's history is a "con man." You are a special kind of stupid if you don't think Pop played a huge part in Timmy being great or having the longevity that he had.

if i was making millions my boss can be whatever as long as i am still taking millions home at the end of the yr. these kids need to learn to grow the fuck up and deal with it because it's either millions pushing a ball in the hoop or mcdonalds.

Oh, look. The imbecile of ST somehow think his shit life circumstances somehow equates to the lives and careers of a professional athlete or coach.

The only options for them ALL is the NBA or McDonald's, sure. They don't need a drill sergeant which is why a guy like Bob Knight would never have made it in the NBA. Pop in his early days was the closest to that behavior or mindset, but even he had enough sense to also care about the person too.

The team's fall from grace isn't about it becoming "bigger than basketball" (something Pop has been saying since the early 2010's), but the fact that we've replaced championship, HOF talent with guys that are way, way below that level. As well as being hamstrung by the cap, not being a "destination" city and making few impact moves in free agency (minus Aldridge).

Shit happens.....

hombre
12-19-2019, 12:04 AM
Amen.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-19-2019, 06:50 AM
Let the circle jerk crew go with their moronic narrative, homie. Pop is doing a piss-poor job to end his coaching career, but these clowns on ST couldn't coach coach a preschool team let alone a NBA team full of egos and self interests.

And I bet neither of the mean girls in this thread thinks their job is bigger than everything else in life.

In before the "but but that's because I work for peanuts and not for millions" bullshit.

Brazil
12-19-2019, 09:01 AM

In the end, this season is about tanking and losing games

JeffDuncan
12-19-2019, 12:34 PM
In the end, this season is about tanking and losing games

We know we can trust the Spurs, led by Pop, to come through with the tank when it's the worst draft in ten years.

Brazil
12-19-2019, 01:30 PM
We know we can trust the Spurs, led by Pop, to come through with the tank when it's the worst draft in ten years.

too bad we are not in 1997 anymore

K...
12-19-2019, 01:46 PM

Uh, considering he did the greatest one year tank in history, I give him a pass. I mean Steve Kerr is way ahead of pop this year anyway, so that's two hall of fame coaches doing tanks

koriwhat
12-19-2019, 02:16 PM
Sure, the greatest coach in the team's history is a "con man." You are a special kind of stupid if you don't think Pop played a huge part in Timmy being great or having the longevity that he had.

Oh, look. The imbecile of ST somehow think his shit life circumstances somehow equates to the lives and careers of a professional athlete or coach.

The only options for them ALL is the NBA or McDonald's, sure. They don't need a drill sergeant which is why a guy like Bob Knight would never have made it in the NBA. Pop in his early days was the closest to that behavior or mindset, but even he had enough sense to also care about the person too.

The team's fall from grace isn't about it becoming "bigger than basketball" (something Pop has been saying since the early 2010's), but the fact that we've replaced championship, HOF talent with guys that are way, way below that level. As well as being hamstrung by the cap, not being a "destination" city and making few impact moves in free agency (minus Aldridge).

Shit happens.....

All that? What a waste of a read considering we already realized the biggest obstacle which is replacing the hof talent that left. Genius analysis!

Btw, making millions putting a ball through a hoop should squash anyone's lame depression or "bball isn't life".

Coach X
12-19-2019, 04:10 PM
Kids around ST that doesn't know a thing about life, mocking at someone's mental health problems.

Now it's turn to criticize the coach who repeteadly won championships because at some succesful point he just realized that life is something bigger than basketball. As if any other champion wouldn't come to the same conclusion at some point.

After more than 20 successful seasons, he's having a bad one and it's fine to point at the things the team isn't doing well. Trying to discredit Popovich's career and the way he relates with players it's absolutely stupid.

Moreover, DeRozan's problems on the court have clearly their roots on his mind. He has a very poor tolerance to frustration, which affects his decission making and concentration. You would be surprised about how many pro players have low self-steem levels, most of them are really scared about being able of meeting the expectations or not (that's where all the self-assertion body language comes from). So Popovich trying to fix his mind is probably the best way he can help DeRozan to perform at his best on the court.

And yeah, Spurs defense is terrible; I don't get why Forbes keeps starting and for sure there are some PATFO decissions I disagree with but life is still bigger than basketball.

JeffDuncan
12-19-2019, 04:51 PM
The only thing wrong with DDR's mind is that he is stupid as a goddam fence post.

TheCerebral1
12-19-2019, 04:53 PM
You mean, he's a scrub. Gotcha!

tmtcsc
12-19-2019, 05:41 PM
It's easy to have a "Fuck Basketball" philosophy when you have 5 Championship rings built off Hall of Fame players. No psycho-babble can replace the desire to be great or win. That's all bullshit. Phil spewed his Zen approach on players & many of them said they fell asleep, tuned him out or pretty much rolled their eyes at his nonsense. These aren't kids who need an 8th grade social studies teacher or counselor to lead them. They need game managers who put them in the right positions to succeed. The Spurs are a great example that the NBA is a players' league & the teams with the most talent and competitive players win.

koriwhat
12-19-2019, 05:58 PM
Kids around ST that doesn't know a thing about life, mocking at someone's mental health problems.

Now it's turn to criticize the coach who repeteadly won championships because at some succesful point he just realized that life is something bigger than basketball. As if any other champion wouldn't come to the same conclusion at some point.

After more than 20 successful seasons, he's having a bad one and it's fine to point at the things the team isn't doing well. Trying to discredit Popovich's career and the way he relates with players it's absolutely stupid.

Moreover, DeRozan's problems on the court have clearly their roots on his mind. He has a very poor tolerance to frustration, which affects his decission making and concentration. You would be surprised about how many pro players have low self-steem levels, most of them are really scared about being able of meeting the expectations or not (that's where all the self-assertion body language comes from). So Popovich trying to fix his mind is probably the best way he can help DeRozan to perform at his best on the court.

And yeah, Spurs defense is terrible; I don't get why Forbes keeps starting and for sure there are some PATFO decissions I disagree with but life is still bigger than basketball.

i'm no kid and i'm also not into adults being coddled. either suck it up and compete or find another profession and spew your zen philosophy elsewhere.

pop has a long leash and rightfully so but if your heart isn't in the game and wanting to be numero uno then it's time to hang it up.

KimmyGib
12-19-2019, 06:20 PM
It is what it is. Like it or hate it, this attitude is a part of Spurs' culture, and hardly :lol the reason the team sucks this year. Some of you guys would be quite better off as Laker fans, tbqh.

Sugus
12-19-2019, 07:18 PM
Btw, making millions putting a ball through a hoop should squash anyone's lame depression or "bball isn't life".

I know you probably didn't really think out this comment before posting, but it's retarded. Completely. As in, this thing you're talking about functions very differently than you think it does, and you should probably look up some information about it before commenting further.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-19-2019, 09:45 PM
if i was making millions my boss can be whatever as long as i am still taking millions home at the end of the yr.

i'm no kid ..

Really?

Sad.

superbigtime
12-19-2019, 10:16 PM
Pop is soft and washed up and so is this team. this mess has been a long time coming and is a testimony to Tim's greatness. yeah life is bigger than basketball. or any sport. no shit. but fans want to cheer for a winner they like. we want a coach who prioritizes winning instead of players' emotions and mindf*cking everyone. retire and enjoy philosophizing at a vineyard and let someone else drive who likes to drive.

DMC
12-19-2019, 10:42 PM
Lots of cliff jumping, climbing back up and jumping again.

Also lots of all or nothing views, boiling or freezing. Pop is either GOAT coach or a fraud. Emotional lesbians up in here.

koriwhat
12-19-2019, 10:58 PM
Really?

Sad.

The nba is too soft these days and I guess a majority of their viewers are too. What a pity.

TimmyBuckets
12-20-2019, 12:38 AM
Gosh, I could have sworn it was because they lost four future HOFers - one who was in his prime and the cornerstone - in a span of 3 years!

Who thought caring about mental health issues was at fault?! Only the sleuths on ST knew the true reasoning....

J_Paco
12-20-2019, 04:10 AM
It's easy to have a "Fuck Basketball" philosophy when you have 5 Championship rings built off Hall of Fame players. No psycho-babble can replace the desire to be great or win. That's all bullshit. Phil spewed his Zen approach on players & many of them said they fell asleep, tuned him out or pretty much rolled their eyes at his nonsense. These aren't kids who need an 8th grade social studies teacher or counselor to lead them. They need game managers who put them in the right positions to succeed. The Spurs are a great example that the NBA is a players' league & the teams with the most talent and competitive players win.

So, basically like every other team and organization you need HOF talent to win championships. Great observation!

Pop has proven to be a great leader of men and coach. His current predicament and what created it isn't an example of it being a "player's league" (it has been since the day of Bird & Magic), but of how easily a player (even a "humble, stoic" player like Nephew) can be swayed by the need for more fame, fortune and outside (of the locker room) forces.

J_Paco
12-20-2019, 04:16 AM
Pop is soft and washed up and so is this team. this mess has been a long time coming and is a testimony to Tim's greatness. yeah life is bigger than basketball. or any sport. no shit. but fans want to cheer for a winner they like. we want a coach who prioritizes winning instead of players' emotions and mindf*cking everyone. retire and enjoy philosophizing at a vineyard and let someone else drive who likes to drive.

The next guy up could easily be a Jaques Vaughn, Tim Floyd, Jim Boylen or Tyron Corbin level hack. Be careful what you wish for cause you just might get it......

J_Paco
12-20-2019, 04:17 AM
The nba is too soft these days and I guess a majority of their viewers are too. What a pity.

Thank goodness not a lot are as stupid and igorant as yourself, though.

koriwhat
12-20-2019, 03:13 PM
Thank goodness not a lot are as stupid and igorant as yourself, though.

you can keep calling me names and whatnot but the truth of the matter is that we all know there's more to life than bball but we all don't make millions throwing a ball through the hoop. like another poster said, "yeah life is bigger than basketball. or any sport. no shit. but fans want to cheer for a winner they like. we want a coach who prioritizes winning instead of players' emotions and mindf*cking everyone. retire and enjoy philosophizing at a vineyard and let someone else drive who likes to drive."

i'm not saying pop should retire but if there's no fire in his belly to win anymore then by all means sail off into the sunset.

either way, next time you want to talk shit about being ignorant you might want to learn how to spell it first you moron. :tu

J_Paco
12-20-2019, 04:31 PM
you can keep calling me names and whatnot but the truth of the matter is that we all know there's more to life than bball but we all don't make millions throwing a ball through the hoop. like another poster said, "yeah life is bigger than basketball. or any sport. no shit. but fans want to cheer for a winner they like. we want a coach who prioritizes winning instead of players' emotions and mindf*cking everyone. retire and enjoy philosophizing at a vineyard and let someone else drive who likes to drive."

i'm not saying pop should retire but if there's no fire in his belly to win anymore then by all means sail off into the sunset.

either way, next time you want to talk shit about being ignorant you might want to learn how to spell it first you moron. :tu

I apologize english teacher, I'll make sure all my words are spelled correctly when you are downplaying mental health. I'm sure me misspelling "igorant" is a bigger problem than suicide and mental illness in general...

koriwhat
12-20-2019, 04:35 PM
I apologize english teacher, I'll make sure all my words are spelled correctly when you are downplaying mental health. I'm sure me misspelling "igorant" is a bigger problem than suicide and mental illness in general...

you think i'm down playing mental health and that's the problem here which is your "feelings"... either way, people need to suck it up and stop being a bunch of anxiety ridden softies especially on the job. either do your job or find one that caters to your issues.

coddling people isn't going to help them either way and making millions means they can seek out the best help available that the average person can't so do it off the clock.

i guess i struck a nerve with you... i'm guessing this issue hits home with you huh?

Prose
12-20-2019, 04:42 PM

J_Paco
12-20-2019, 04:50 PM
you think i'm down playing mental health and that's the problem here which is your "feelings"... either way, people need to suck it up and stop being a bunch of anxiety ridden softies especially on the job. either do your job or find one that caters to your issues.

coddling people isn't going to help them either way and making millions means they can seek out the best help available that the average person can't so do it off the clock.

i guess i struck a nerve with you... i'm guessing this issue hits home with you huh?

Not really, just how stupid and apathetic you come across. Wealth doesn't minimize or remove stress, anxiety or self doubt. Otherwise, the Spurs would have a lot more championships; there would a lot of people not using pharmaceutical and street drugs (even wealth folks) to deal with life issues.

"Just suck it up" is the ideal of an ignorant, fool who doesn't live in reality.

koriwhat
12-20-2019, 04:53 PM
Not really, just how stupid and apathetic you come across. Wealth doesn't minimize or remove stress, anxiety or self doubt. Otherwise, the Spurs would have a lot more championships; there would a lot of people not using pharmaceutical and street drugs (even wealth folks) to deal with life issues.

"Just suck it up" is the ideal of an ignorant, fool who doesn't live in reality.

everyone has issues but not everyone is coddled in their work environment where they're relied upon to do their job 110%. as well, most with problems don't have the funds to seek out the best in the med field like those who put a ball into a hoop for a living.

you want adults coddled? i'm sick of hearing about everyone's stupid ass mental problems considering we all have something we're dealing with but not all of us are diva's about it; some of us deal with it!

J_Paco
12-20-2019, 05:07 PM
everyone has issues but not everyone is coddled in their work environment where they're relied upon to do their job 110%. as well, most with problems don't have the funds to seek out the best in the med field like those who put a ball into a hoop for a living.

you want adults coddled? i'm sick of hearing about everyone's stupid ass mental problems considering we all have something we're dealing with but not all of us are diva's about it; some of us deal with it!

This is sports/entertainment stop equating it with a regular 9 to 5. Their issues and anxieties are magnified because they are in the public eye.

I'm sure the "every day" person would hate being constantly criticized and insulted for every little mistake made on the workplace no matter how competent or incompetent they are.

Again, the "suck it up" mantra is why this country has a drug and opioid crisis to begin with.

Anyway, you are a staunch conservative or libertarian (however you classify yourself) so I'm just gonna drop the subject entirely.

JeffDuncan
12-20-2019, 05:27 PM

Again, the "suck it up" mantra is why this country has a drug and opioid crisis to begin with.

Actually, it's because so many people are all about how they feel.

Like you are.

koriwhat
12-20-2019, 06:58 PM
This is sports/entertainment stop equating it with a regular 9 to 5. Their issues and anxieties are magnified because they are in the public eye.

I'm sure the "every day" person would hate being constantly criticized and insulted for every little mistake made on the workplace no matter how competent or incompetent they are.

Anyway, you are a staunch conservative or libertarian (however you classify yourself) so I'm just gonna drop the subject entirely.

:lmao

sorry but it's not like these athletes weren't aware of the magnitude of exposure they'd get in the public eye before choosing said profession.

in business it's a good thing to have a good report with your employees but treating grown men/women like children helps no one. again, these professionals make bank and can seek help outside the game yet here we are almost in 2020 and now we have to read about stupid mental illness in sports. i literally have no sympathy for these multimillionaires whatsoever. there's people pushing shopping carts wearing rags while having a conversation with themselves but you're not crying a river over them... hmm...

and you were right; i'm very apathetic especially regarding this issue.

J_Paco
12-21-2019, 12:43 PM
:lmao

sorry but it's not like these athletes weren't aware of the magnitude of exposure they'd get in the public eye before choosing said profession.

in business it's a good thing to have a good report with your employees but treating grown men/women like children helps no one. again, these professionals make bank and can seek help outside the game yet here we are almost in 2020 and now we have to read about stupid mental illness in sports. i literally have no sympathy for these multimillionaires whatsoever. there's people pushing shopping carts wearing rags while having a conversation with themselves but you're not crying a river over them... hmm...

and you were right; i'm very apathetic especially regarding this issue.

Again, where did I say anything about treating adults like children. I said, and will repeat, that caring about mental health is a valid concern in any workplace or environment.
We are all aware of what the public eye or the seeking of it can do both good or bad to a person.

Anyway, I won't broach the subject any longer and let all you "big tough guys" be.....