PDA

View Full Version : Son's former football coach arrested for mom's 1981 murder

RandomGuy
12-19-2019, 03:01 PM
This is some trippy shit man. They are using the geneology databases to match cold case DNA.

Basically they run old DNA in the database to find people who are descendants or relatives of the person whose DNA they are looking for then look for the offender.

-------------------------------------------------
Decades after a single mom was found sexually assaulted and murdered in her Florida home, genetic genealogy has led police to arrest her son's former football coach for the crime.

When police knocked on his door all these years later, he claimed to have no knowledge of the killing.

But once the handcuffs were on him, the former coach claimed she died after "wild sex" -- but police say the evidence points to murder, not a consensual encounter.

A shocking crime
On the morning of Sept. 4, 1981, 31-year-old Linda Patterson Slaten was found strangled to death in her Lakeland apartment, according to Lakeland police.

She was partially nude and had a coat hanger twisted around her neck, according to court documents. Investigators found a window screen had been removed in her bedroom, documents said.

(MORE: Genetic genealogy identifies suspect in teens' 1982 double murder: Family 'had lost hope')

Her two sons, 15-year-old Jeff Slaten and 12-year-old Tim Slaten, had been asleep at the home when she was killed, according to court documents.

"I saw the crime scene. It’s still burned in my brain today," Tim Slaten said at a Thursday news conference.

PHOTO: An undated photo released by Lakeland police of Linda Patterson Slaten, who was killed in September 1981 in Fla. (Lakeland Police)
PHOTO: An undated photo released by Lakeland police of Linda Patterson Slaten, who was killed in September 1981 in Fla. (Lakeland Police)
Tim told police that his football coach -- Joseph Mills -- took him home after practice on Sept. 3, according to court documents.

In an interview days later, Mills told police that while dropping Tim off, the boy's mother came out to the car and thanked him for the ride, documents said. Mills said he left and never returned, documents said.

A novel investigative tool
Sperm was recovered from Slaten's body, but the DNA did not match anyone in law enforcement databases, according to court documents.

The case then went cold.

"It’s been rough on me my whole life not knowing who it is," Jeff Slaten said Thursday. "Always being scared to death I was friends with him…. always looking over our shoulder."

Decades later, in November 2018, investigators looked into using the novel technique of genetic genealogy.

Genetic genealogy compares unknown DNA evidence from a crime scene to public genealogy databases, which are populated by the DNA of family members who voluntarily upload their DNA.

Genetic genealogy has been called a "game-changer" in cracking cold cases. Since the arrest of the suspected "Golden State Killer" in April 2018, about 100 suspects have been identified through the technology, according to Parabon NanoLabs Chief Genetic Genealogist CeCe Moore, who worked on the Slaten case.

In June 2019, after analyzing the DNA in the unknown suspect's family tree, Parabon analysts told police that Mills was the mostly likely suspect, according to court documents against him.

(MORE: New owner of genealogy website GEDmatch vows to protect users from search warrants)

Mills, now 58, still lives in Lakeland, according to court documents. In the summer of 2019, investigators took Mills' trash and found that the DNA on it matched the DNA from Slaten's sexual assault, court documents said.

Authorities also compared Mills' fingerprints -- taken when he was arrested in 1984 -- to fingerprints from the victim's window ledge and found a match, documents said.

https://news.yahoo.com/sons-former-football-coach-arrested-moms-1981-murder-164600638--abc-news-topstories.html

Millennial_Messiah
12-20-2019, 12:14 AM
There's gotta be a statute of limitations IMO. If the case is THAT cold it's honestly just as bad as double jeopardy.

Mitch
12-20-2019, 12:39 AM
statute of limitation on murder, andy you're a piece of shit :lol

Millennial_Messiah
12-20-2019, 08:53 AM
statute of limitation on murder, andy you're a piece of shit :lol

It's 40 fucking years. That's ridiculous. If the justice system can't solve a case in 10 years, it needs to be sunsetted.

ChumpDumper
12-20-2019, 09:02 AM
:lol come on, Samwise

Mitch
12-20-2019, 09:06 AM
It's 40 fucking years. That's ridiculous. If the justice system can't solve a case in 10 years, it needs to be sunsetted.

I just thought you were a pathological liar, but you're far worse :lol

Chucho
12-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Andy's definitely gonna die alone.

SpursforSix
12-20-2019, 10:11 AM
Andy's definitely gonna die alone.

nah...he’ll get beaten to death by a small group of women in the next year or two.

RandomGuy
12-20-2019, 11:27 AM
There's gotta be a statute of limitations IMO. If the case is THAT cold it's honestly just as bad as double jeopardy.

No, there should not be a statute of limitations on murder. Swiping a candy bar: sure.

Millennial_Messiah
12-20-2019, 12:01 PM
No, there should not be a statute of limitations on murder. Swiping a candy bar: sure.

What about civil torts, sexual "harassment", money crimes etc?

RandomGuy
12-20-2019, 12:24 PM
What about civil torts, sexual "harassment", money crimes etc?

Let the lege hammer that one out. Generally about 7 yrs.

I take it you don't believe sexual harassment should be a crime.

Millennial_Messiah
12-20-2019, 01:00 PM
I take it you don't believe sexual harassment should be a crime.

Not when it's subjective, he-said-she-said, no evidence except the words of different people.

It could be a tort and anyone has the right to file a restraining order, cease and desist, etc. And then further pursuit/action could be criminal trespassing.

RandomGuy
12-20-2019, 01:08 PM
Not when it's subjective, he-said-she-said, no evidence except the words of different people.

It could be a tort and anyone has the right to file a restraining order, cease and desist, etc. And then further pursuit/action could be criminal trespassing.

Sounds like the take of someone who has never really read any specific case accounts of sexual harassment. I would bet on it.

In my experience, people who are dubious about sexual harassment, either tend to be the kinds that commit it, or never really have given the topic much real thought.

I have read quite enough to know there are real cases that are egregious enough that even you would agree that they would fall under the heading.

Millennial_Messiah
12-20-2019, 03:24 PM
Sounds like the take of someone who has never really read any specific case accounts of sexual harassment. I would bet on it.

In my experience, people who are dubious about sexual harassment, either tend to be the kinds that commit it, or never really have given the topic much real thought.

I have read quite enough to know there are real cases that are egregious enough that even you would agree that they would fall under the heading.

I've been falsely accused of it 3 times in teenagehood, twice in 9th grade and the other near the beginning of 10th. False accusations are far worse than the actual thing. It's simply the alt-left adopting a lord of the flies "kill the pig, spill its blood" mentality and just another way that modern western society has become increasingly unfavorable towards men, especially the white male.

I am extremely staunch with "innocent until proven guilty", which is factually the only correct logic in existence. I will die on that throne if necessary. INNOCENT... until... PROVEN... guilty, beyond a shadow of a reasonable doubt. I make one exception: islam/muslims, but that's it.

SpursforSix
12-20-2019, 03:29 PM
nm...

Trainwreck2100
12-21-2019, 07:07 PM
we just gonna ignore that the gov used a database outside its intended scope to identify a relative, and that's how they got their warrant?

Millennial_Messiah
12-21-2019, 08:33 PM
we just gonna ignore that the gov used a database outside its intended scope to identify a relative, and that's how they got their warrant?

the communitarian faggots will ignore it tbh as long as they get their foodstamps and medicaid

Xevious
12-22-2019, 01:15 AM
That's how they caught the Golden Gate killer too, no?

Just read the article above... yes it was. And it says that about a hundred other cases have been solved using the same technique. Dang.

FrostKing
12-22-2019, 02:40 AM
https://i.ibb.co/Jk172GZ/Screenshot-2019-12-21-23-35-05-1.png

There are new technologies discovered all the time. I remember guy wrote a ransom note with Mapquest image cut & cropped. Investigators forced the company to provide what email account searched that exact location during one week time period

ChumpDumper
12-22-2019, 02:45 AM
Hey maybe Trey Gowdy will be on it again.

RandomGuy
12-30-2019, 03:21 PM

Not ignoring it. Part of why I posted the OP. Seems important.

Not sure exactly what to think of what amounts to DNA datamining.