PDA

View Full Version : Spurs dont frighten anyone

Amuseddaysleeper
11-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Spurs don't frighten anyone

But because of champs' lack of ego and swagger, be afraid, be very afraid

02:27 AM CST on Wednesday, November 2, 2005

SAN ANTONIO – The appropriate act on the night San Antonio received its championship rings would be to talk about how it is admired and respected around the league.

But as I sat courtside Tuesday at the SBC Center in an exquisite jacket accented by a bold, yet tasteful tie – an ensemble that put commissioner David Stern's business casual mandate to shame – I was struck by what the Spurs are not.

Feared.

You might argue that three titles in seven years suggest otherwise. And San Antonio is favored to add to its collection.

The team that beat Denver, 102-91, to open the 2005-06 season is a confident one. But it doesn't possess the swagger Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls had during their championship run. It doesn't evoke the dread that the Los Angeles Lakers did during their Purple Reign.

"We know we didn't kick anybody's butt last year," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "We know we were the last team standing and deserved to win a championship, but there were probably six or seven teams in the league that were in that same category. We know that. That is what is going to keep us grounded.

"We haven't reached some mythical, rarefied level where everyone is afraid of us and can't touch us."

In these NBA days of no sunglasses inside – except for Jack Nicholson – and anti-bling, the Spurs are the anti-champion. When Tim Duncan spoke to the sellout crowd Tuesday night after the team collected its rings, he said the Spurs hoped to bring another championship to the city.

That's right, hoped. There was no guarantee of a repeat, no declaration of dominance.

Remember Popovich's Air Force Academy background. He understands the importance of driving a team into the dirt to build it back up. He believes a key to success is to get over yourself.

Duncan and just about everyone else on the Spurs has the same temperament. San Antonio's mantra – and we're not kidding here – is to be boring as hell.

They do a good job of it.

"I think everybody is pretty secure in their own skin," Popovich said. "I think they're more concerned about just playing the game. Bravado doesn't enter into it, or trying to manufacture a swagger. We just are who we are."

San Antonio doesn't win by imposing its will. The Spurs take a come-as-you-are approach.

Phoenix wants to get out and run to try and beat San Antonio in the Western Conference finals? Fine. The Spurs run.

Detroit's best chance to win the Finals is to go with the bump-and-grind. No problem. San Antonio returns to its methodical, half-court roots.

The Spurs don't overpower teams. They adapt. That's why San Antonio is respected rather than feared.

All of that said, this San Antonio team is better equipped to defend its title than the last two versions. It's certainly deeper, as former Maverick Michael Finley showed when he came off the bench to score 11 of his 16 points in the decisive fourth quarter.

Denver coach George Karl missed Tuesday's opener to serve a two-game suspension. But he was with the Nuggets earlier in the day and talked about how the Spurs are incredibly difficult to crack.

"San Antonio is not going away," Karl said. "Tim Duncan is not going away. Manu Ginobili is not going away. Tony Parker is not going to get worse. These guys are only going to get better and only going to get stronger."

Duncan and Ginobili are under contract for the next five seasons. Parker is wrapped up for the next six.

The Spurs, in the words of Karl, aren't unbeatable.

That doesn't mean they won't win it again.

"It may happen," Popovich said. "It may not happen. But if it doesn't happen, it will be because another team was better, not because we didn't play hard."

Or because the Spurs thought too much of themselves.

Reggie Miller
11-02-2005, 07:00 PM
I think it's pretty safe to say that the Spurs scare the pants off of fans of the likely EC contenders. IMHO, none of these teams will match up well against SA's talent.

Oh, Gee!!
11-02-2005, 07:00 PM
I'd rather be loved than feared

Obstructed_View
11-02-2005, 07:03 PM
If the Spurs win the championship, who cares if they are feared? Man, the slings and arrows this year are really fucking lame.

GoSpurs21
11-02-2005, 07:09 PM
the only reason the Bulls and Lakers were feared is because everyone feared that $tern would give those two teams all the calls like he did every dam year

PM5K
11-02-2005, 07:18 PM
The Spurs kill them with kindness. It doesn't matter if they are feared or not, the end result is still the same....

Reggie Miller
11-02-2005, 07:20 PM
the only reason the Bulls and Lakers were feared is because everyone feared that $tern would give those two teams all the calls like he did every dam year

Yep. It's no fun to know going in that your team won't be allowed to win.

dbreiden83080
11-02-2005, 07:50 PM
They are not feared like those bulls teams, who cares about that crap. Duncan saying he hoped they would win it again, what do you want him to do guarantee another title Jordan never did that. Why is the media always so hard on Timmy and the Spurs. I am convinced if Timmy was a Laker or had gone to Boston like he was supposed to they would be kissing his ass because it is a big market.

samikeyp
11-02-2005, 07:53 PM
The Spurs have that one quality all championship teams have. The opponent knows exactly what the Spurs are going to do each game....but still can't stop them.

Solid D
11-02-2005, 07:59 PM
There is something to be said for positive self-expectancy.

pjjrfan
11-02-2005, 10:45 PM
boring as hell, WTF, it's called playing team basketball, and relying on fundamentals on defense and offense, since when has that been boring. Damn.

ZStomp
11-03-2005, 12:52 AM
WHere is this from? Link?

Vashner
11-03-2005, 12:57 AM
WTF... Im sending Timmy the Sarge after that writer...
http://home.satx.rr.com/krograth/images/duncandoom01.jpg

Tek_XX
11-03-2005, 01:59 AM
I think the fact that we aren't feared and yet we still win pisses them off even more.

And is their mantra really to be boring as hell?

Spurzilla
11-03-2005, 03:20 AM
Heck, 77% of the GM's aren't picking the Spurs to repeat because they like Timmy's new hairdo. There is fear there. And respect. I was watching NBA TV yesterday and the anchor was interviewing a GM (can't remember which one) and he was asked about San Antonio. The GM said, "San Antonio is a problem everyone has." There's a reason every team will be bringing their "A" game when they play the Spurs.

The Spurs don't act like kind of Champions most people expect... no big speeches or thumping the chest or stuff like that. Most people don't get it. But Spurs fans do.... it's CIA Pop.

As Wiley Coyote would say..... C-I-A Pop.... SUPER GENIUS!

Amuseddaysleeper
11-03-2005, 06:33 AM
WHere is this from? Link?

its from dallasnews.com however, you do need to register on there with an e-mail address

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/registration/register.jsp?fw=http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/110205dnspomoore.1c9fbefd.html

samikeyp
11-03-2005, 09:38 AM
They don't have to frighten anyone...they just have to beat them. :)

SWC Bonfire
11-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Trashbag James wasn't afraid, either. Look what that got him.

pache100
11-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Spurs don't frighten anyone

... I was struck by what the Spurs are not.

Feared.

So what? Everybody feared the Pistons last year. Look what it got them. Everyone (including the Pistons) feared the Lakers the year before. Look what that got the Lakers. Fear of the champs is not necessary. Just play ball.

LilMissSPURfect
11-03-2005, 09:58 AM

true

nkdlunch
11-03-2005, 10:06 AM
But it doesn't possess the swagger Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls had during their championship run. It doesn't evoke the dread that the Los Angeles Lakers did during their Purple Reign.

Duh, Spurs are not delusional. They could lose, but if they play hard, they'll be very hard to beat.

JamStone
11-03-2005, 11:16 AM
So what? Everybody feared the Pistons last year. Look what it got them. Everyone (including the Pistons) feared the Lakers the year before. Look what that got the Lakers. Fear of the champs is not necessary. Just play ball.

Who feared the Pistons last year? Everybody and their mama were picking the Spurs to win it all even at the beginning of the season.

Teams like Atlanta and Charlotte beat the Pistons in the regular season last year.

None of the other top teams in the East, Indiana, New Jersey, and Miami, played, acted, or talked scared of the Pistons.

In fact, Spurs fans can complain about not getting the proper respect, but last year's Pistons were the least respected defending NBA champions in quite a long time.

And, as to the "look what it got them" comment ... don't make it sound like the Pistons were just rolled over. They still made it to game 7 of the NBA finals. It's not like everyone "supposedly" feared them and then they got swept in the first round of the playoffs.

JamStone
11-03-2005, 11:18 AM
I think it's pretty safe to say that the Spurs scare the pants off of fans of the likely EC contenders. IMHO, none of these teams will match up well against SA's talent.

1. There is no "likely" EC Contender. Indiana, Miami, and Detroit all have about the same chance of being "THAT" EC contender.

2. Pacers fans might be scared of the "big, bad" Spurs. The Pistons and their fans aren't. Respect the Spurs? Absolutely. Fear them? Nah ...

samikeyp
11-03-2005, 11:20 AM
I doubt anyone is "scared" of anyone else in the NBA. I think there is a recognition of the higher talent level of the Spurs but fear is the wrong word. Respect all, Fear none.

Spurologist
11-03-2005, 11:23 AM
who gives a shit article

Extra Stout
11-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Did anyone read past the thread title?

That article was highly complimentary of the Spurs.

All it said was that the Spurs are respected rather than feared, because of the way they carry themselves, but that they're so good they ought to be feared.

Rummpd
11-03-2005, 11:35 AM
They say the same junk about the Patriots but deep down Payton Manning is probably thinking how the heck am I ever going to beat them?

The Pistons (who have the core of a former championship team in place still - looked very, very good last night in thrashing the Sixers) deserve some limited respect IMO for they took a "slimmed down" version of these now much deeper Spurs and an injured Duncan) to 7 games, but all the other teams right now are wannabees, talent or not - let them get to at least a finals before they come back with any smack.

coopdogg3
11-03-2005, 11:39 AM
The Pistons looked pretty good last night vs. the 76er's. Yeah, it looks like Philly may not be that good this year, but with Saunders as their coach, looks like the Pistons have found ways to turn their defense into easier offense on the other end. Pistons could be a dangerous team this year.

coopdogg3

Rummpd
11-03-2005, 11:56 AM
see article I posted on www.Hoopsworld.com on Sixers if any interest in that today that in last paragraph also confesses to my greater love for all things Spurs!

Sixers Stumble in First of Two Back to Backs and Defensively are Struggling
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Peter Rumm, MD
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Nov 3, 2005, 07:10

Jody McDonald, ala "Jody Mac" is a host of a popular new sports station and show) in the mid-afternoon on WPEN 950 AM, that I listen to almost every afternoon driving home. Recently, he had an interview with Maurice Cheeks, the new coach of the Sixers and former NBA star point guard, who was asked whether he was concerned about getting off to a slow start would be harmful for his team.

Cheeks replied something to the order of "that he had rarely got off to slow coaching starts and would have to cross that bridge if it came to it". He did say also that his team would always play hard and would stress defense.

However, while facing a daunting early schedule, with two away and home back to backs starting this Tues, the Sixers and Cheeks (who I had picked to surprise and win the Division like some other pundits) may be on the verge of "facing that bridge" quicker than hoped, at least in the earliest portion of the season.

They suffered a tough opening night loss Tuesday night to the Bucks, 108-107, after leading by 7 points with a little over a minute left in regulation. With less than three seconds left in the 4th, Michael Redd calmly drilled a three over the outspread arms of Chris Webber who was rushing over to help out defensively, and then the Bucks went on to dominate the over-time.

Then they literally got thrashed by the defending Eastern Conference Champions, the Pistons, 108 to 88 last night on the road.

The problem in this game was simply two fold - Detroit moved the ball beautifully and got 30 assists to the Sixers 11 and while the defensive intensity appeared at times to be there, something is not clicking right now on that side of the court. The Sixers constantly seemed to be a step slow in rotating to the open man and seemed to be unable to respond to Detroit's wonderful ball movement and screens.

Detroit's guards, especially Chauncey Billups, (with a double double of 12 points and 10 assists) were able to penetrate and dish or score with relative ease which mimicked what happened a night earlier when T.J. Ford at times had his way with the Sixers interior on the way to a near triple double(16 points, 9 boards, and 14 assists). Richard Hamilton torched the Sixers for 37 last night while Michael Redd had done the same with 30 the night before.

It is important to note that much of Redd's scoring had come after defensive stopper Andre Iguodala had fouled out, but the Sixers simply had no answer at all for Hamilton's many mid-range jumpers that featured a beautiful and smooth quick release.

Superstar Allen Iverson was succinct in explaining his teams early season woes in the AP report from last night: "We aren't playing defense and we aren't rebounding the basketball," Iverson said. "This has gotten off to a bad start, but we have to find a way to turn it around".

They face Charlotte at home on Friday before heading to Indiana Saturday night as they try to salvage something more positive from opening week -that had started so positively with loud ovation Tuesday night for "NBA Legends", Julius Erving, Chuck Daly, and Moses Malone - who had come to cheer on former teammate Cheeks in his opening game.

First impressions of the Sixers so far as they head into trying to salvage something out of the opening week:

1. Chris Webber is showing some very positive things on the court, at least offensively. He was especially active in the opening night heart-breaker and had a night that brought back memories of his past terrific play in Sacramento with a 32 point and 14 rebound performance. He followed this up last night with a 16 point and 9 rebound effort. So far he does not look to be slowed by his knees, at times has even looked good defensively, despite his teams overall woes in that regard.

2. Stephen Hunter is playing at center as starter Samuel Dalembert is out with a strained muscle. Hunter brings energy and had a pretty good opening night with 11 points but slipped to only 6 points in last nights loss despite 30 plus minutes of play. He seems to be an adequate short term answer but just does not seem to be an intimidating in the middle as Dalembert, but should provide some nice bench depth, and will gain needed experience in the next two weeks or so until Dalembert returns.

3. Iverson had been brilliant on the offensive end with two straight game with 30 plus points, but one wonders whether or not, he tried to do too much himself last night as Detroit pulled away in the 3rd quarter?

Conversely, on opening night he was playing a wonderful inside and out game with Webber at least and the Sixers offense flowed until the final minutes of regulation in a beautiful fashion.

However, the Sixers do seemingly need to also try to get at least Andre Iguodala more involved - he has had only 13 shots in the opening two games and this athletic sophomore right now does not appear to be a part at all of any consistent offensive sets.

4. Guard John Salmons continues to impress, and contributed 13 points last night. Right now, he appears to be the reserve guard that Cheeks has the most confidence in to spell Iverson after a very strong pre-season, although Kevin Ollie did get in for 17 minutes last night but was not a major contributor offensively with just 4 points and no assists.

5. Cheeks appeared down but committed to turning things around quickly, after the first game tough loss, which he like his players felt they should have won. One cannot discount that Webber and others seem to enjoy having this "players coach" on the sidelines. Surely, he is greatly respected in Philadelphia for his past heady play as a point guard and as a former assistant coach but how will the Sixers respond if they continue to struggle early in the year?

Cheeks was very outspoken that his teams discrepancy in assists would simply not get it done after the game last night (AP report); and I expect he will be stressing that fact and defensive intensity and strategy in film sessions prior to the upcoming "back to back".

I for one, am confident that we will see a more inspired effort than last night against the Bobcats and the Pacers, but based on the early results, at least defensively, the Sixers may be in for some early season struggles.

However, don't discount that with a healthy appearing Webber, Iverson's talents and competitiveness, and Cheeks track record in the NBA and life - that they will not soon turn it around.

Essential to this will be to get Iguolada more involved and others. John Salmons has shown the capacity to score and may be on the court more with Iverson as well, but reserve Kevin Ollie and Lee Dailon also have to step up their games. Meanwhile, Hunter and others will have to try and pull down more "rebounds by committee", as Chris Webber cannot do this alone for the Sixers. It will also be important for Cheeks to recognize that although winning is important in these early games, he will need to monitor the minutes of especially Webber, but one also wonders if Iverson, can continue to do what he did last season, i.e., play over 40 minutes each night at his pace, without suffering an injury that could truly hurt the Sixers ability to compete in the East.

Cheeks made another comment on the radio interview on WPEN that in the past his teams often had winning streaks later in the season of 10-12 games or so. It is not implausible to see the Sixers at least rolling off a 5-10 game streak if their defense can improve, Webber continues to play strong, and Dalembert comes back healthy and proves to be, as expected, a major defensive "force in the middle".

Therefore, it is too early to panic, but I am sure Cheeks is appropriately concerned, and I expect to see impressive efforts in the near future and perhaps as early as this week in the upcoming back to back against the Bobcats and the Pacers.

Next week is an interesting stretch at home that includes Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant of the Lakers and Dallas with its talented roster that is capable of challenging in the West. By that time, I hope I have something more positive to definetely say on the "State of the Sixers" after facing a lot of talented players and teams.

"SportsDoc to the Fans", is a former news and exclusive editor who lives near Philadelphia (his favorite Eastern team), while out in the West he roots with total passion for the team of his former city, the Champion Spurs - and all things involved with this great game.
Gotta Response? E-mail It Here

pache100
11-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Did anyone read past the thread title?

Yes.

1Parker1
11-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Jody McDonald, ala "Jody Mac" is a host of a popular new sports station and show) in the mid-afternoon on WPEN 950 AM, that I listen to almost every afternoon driving home. Recently, he had an interview with Maurice Cheeks, the new coach of the Sixers and former NBA star point guard, who was asked whether he was concerned about getting off to a slow start would be harmful for his team.

Cheeks replied something to the order of "that he had rarely got off to slow coaching starts and would have to cross that bridge if it came to it". He did say also that his team would always play hard and would stress defense.

However, while facing a daunting early schedule, with two away and home back to backs starting this Tues, the Sixers and Cheeks (who I had picked to surprise and win the Division like some other pundits) may be on the verge of "facing that bridge" quicker than hoped, at least in the earliest portion of the season.

They suffered a tough opening night loss Tuesday night to the Bucks, 108-107, after leading by 7 points with a little over a minute left in regulation. With less than three seconds left in the 4th, Michael Redd calmly drilled a three over the outspread arms of Chris Webber who was rushing over to help out defensively, and then the Bucks went on to dominate the over-time.

Then they literally got thrashed by the defending Eastern Conference Champions, the Pistons, 108 to 88 last night on the road.

The problem in this game was simply two fold - Detroit moved the ball beautifully and got 30 assists to the Sixers 11 and while the defensive intensity appeared at times to be there, something is not clicking right now on that side of the court. The Sixers constantly seemed to be a step slow in rotating to the open man and seemed to be unable to respond to Detroit's wonderful ball movement and screens.

Detroit's guards, especially Chauncey Billups, (with a double double of 12 points and 10 assists) were able to penetrate and dish or score with relative ease which mimicked what happened a night earlier when T.J. Ford at times had his way with the Sixers interior on the way to a near triple double(16 points, 9 boards, and 14 assists). Richard Hamilton torched the Sixers for 37 last night while Michael Redd had done the same with 30 the night before.

It is important to note that much of Redd's scoring had come after defensive stopper Andre Iguodala had fouled out, but the Sixers simply had no answer at all for Hamilton's many mid-range jumpers that featured a beautiful and smooth quick release.

Superstar Allen Iverson was succinct in explaining his teams early season woes in the AP report from last night: "We aren't playing defense and we aren't rebounding the basketball," Iverson said. "This has gotten off to a bad start, but we have to find a way to turn it around".

They face Charlotte at home on Friday before heading to Indiana Saturday night as they try to salvage something more positive from opening week -that had started so positively with loud ovation Tuesday night for "NBA Legends", Julius Erving, Chuck Daly, and Moses Malone - who had come to cheer on former teammate Cheeks in his opening game.

First impressions of the Sixers so far as they head into trying to salvage something out of the opening week:

1. Chris Webber is showing some very positive things on the court, at least offensively. He was especially active in the opening night heart-breaker and had a night that brought back memories of his past terrific play in Sacramento with a 32 point and 14 rebound performance. He followed this up last night with a 16 point and 9 rebound effort. So far he does not look to be slowed by his knees, at times has even looked good defensively, despite his teams overall woes in that regard.

2. Stephen Hunter is playing at center as starter Samuel Dalembert is out with a strained muscle. Hunter brings energy and had a pretty good opening night with 11 points but slipped to only 6 points in last nights loss despite 30 plus minutes of play. He seems to be an adequate short term answer but just does not seem to be an intimidating in the middle as Dalembert, but should provide some nice bench depth, and will gain needed experience in the next two weeks or so until Dalembert returns.

3. Iverson had been brilliant on the offensive end with two straight game with 30 plus points, but one wonders whether or not, he tried to do too much himself last night as Detroit pulled away in the 3rd quarter?

Conversely, on opening night he was playing a wonderful inside and out game with Webber at least and the Sixers offense flowed until the final minutes of regulation in a beautiful fashion.

However, the Sixers do seemingly need to also try to get at least Andre Iguodala more involved - he has had only 13 shots in the opening two games and this athletic sophomore right now does not appear to be a part at all of any consistent offensive sets.

4. Guard John Salmons continues to impress, and contributed 13 points last night. Right now, he appears to be the reserve guard that Cheeks has the most confidence in to spell Iverson after a very strong pre-season, although Kevin Ollie did get in for 17 minutes last night but was not a major contributor offensively with just 4 points and no assists.

5. Cheeks appeared down but committed to turning things around quickly, after the first game tough loss, which he like his players felt they should have won. One cannot discount that Webber and others seem to enjoy having this "players coach" on the sidelines. Surely, he is greatly respected in Philadelphia for his past heady play as a point guard and as a former assistant coach but how will the Sixers respond if they continue to struggle early in the year?

Cheeks was very outspoken that his teams discrepancy in assists would simply not get it done after the game last night (AP report); and I expect he will be stressing that fact and defensive intensity and strategy in film sessions prior to the upcoming "back to back".

I for one, am confident that we will see a more inspired effort than last night against the Bobcats and the Pacers, but based on the early results, at least defensively, the Sixers may be in for some early season struggles.

However, don't discount that with a healthy appearing Webber, Iverson's talents and competitiveness, and Cheeks track record in the NBA and life - that they will not soon turn it around.

Essential to this will be to get Iguolada more involved and others. John Salmons has shown the capacity to score and may be on the court more with Iverson as well, but reserve Kevin Ollie and Lee Dailon also have to step up their games. Meanwhile, Hunter and others will have to try and pull down more "rebounds by committee", as Chris Webber cannot do this alone for the Sixers. It will also be important for Cheeks to recognize that although winning is important in these early games, he will need to monitor the minutes of especially Webber, but one also wonders if Iverson, can continue to do what he did last season, i.e., play over 40 minutes each night at his pace, without suffering an injury that could truly hurt the Sixers ability to compete in the East.

Cheeks made another comment on the radio interview on WPEN that in the past his teams often had winning streaks later in the season of 10-12 games or so. It is not implausible to see the Sixers at least rolling off a 5-10 game streak if their defense can improve, Webber continues to play strong, and Dalembert comes back healthy and proves to be, as expected, a major defensive "force in the middle".

Therefore, it is too early to panic, but I am sure Cheeks is appropriately concerned, and I expect to see impressive efforts in the near future and perhaps as early as this week in the upcoming back to back against the Bobcats and the Pacers.

Next week is an interesting stretch at home that includes Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant of the Lakers and Dallas with its talented roster that is capable of challenging in the West. By that time, I hope I have something more positive to definetely say on the "State of the Sixers" after facing a lot of talented players and teams.

Sixers Blow :angel

boutons
11-03-2005, 12:34 PM
I wasn't impressed with Maurice as coach @Portland (other that his classy act of helping the girl sing the national anthem).
I don't think "coming home" to the Sixers is gonna turn him into a great coach.

Samuel and Steven really aren't much at center to cheer about.
"It's all about All-Star Allen" Iverson as first, second, third option is too selfish, and uncoachable, to help the team achieve much.

They have pretty good talent, but it would take a lot better coach than Mo to achieve anything.

slayermin
11-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Fear? What is there to fear?

They fear getting their azz whupped by 30 and getting run out of the gym. These Spurs are capabable of doing that to any team in the league. In that respect, all the teams do fear the Spurs. Teams probably dread going down to SBC because they know if they are off that night, they WILL get blown out.

Sportcamper
11-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Rap..."Look at me I am sooo cool" Sunglasses...Hollywood starlets....I think some of the Spurs Players are scaring the heck out of the owner... :smokin

http://permanent.nouvelobs.com/photos/20050909.OBS3445.jpg