PDA

View Full Version : Article: The Best Front Office Moves of the Decade

cd021
12-21-2019, 07:39 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antonio-spurs-best-front-office-moves-decade/

The gist: plenty of good front office moves, not so many over the last couple seasons...

cd98
12-21-2019, 07:49 AM
Some say Spurs are suffering from losing so much front office talent to other teams.

tbdog
12-21-2019, 08:02 AM
^ Front office lost too much talent is short a period of time.

K...
12-21-2019, 08:23 AM
All the front offense talent in the world can't help if the league changes the rules without warning, doubly so if they do so while you have max salary. Some teams were able to be flexible faster than the Spurs.

That's no exculpation from taking DeRozan,. But was a big reason the team got stuck.

stnick2261
12-21-2019, 09:56 AM
you forgot the funniest part of the Hill/Leonard trade. CIA Pop let it leak that he was shopping Tony Parker so he could keep his favorite player (Hill). That inflated Hill's value to not only get the 15th pick (leonard), but also the 42nd pick (Davis Bertans) and the rights to one of the best overseas bigmen (Erazem Lorbek) who sadly never got to join us.

RC_Drunkford
12-21-2019, 11:49 AM
The list of the worst moves is much longer tbh

RC_Drunkford
12-21-2019, 01:17 PM
Yep, Leonard got us NOTHING and we have no Leonard in a Macro Sense could have traded Leonard for picks(Luka) and we got Depression, and Poetel who gets no run.

Bertans we let walk because he wasn't poops favorite player(struggled to play the best shooter % wise 16 minutes a game) he wanted A Marcus Morris headache sandwich, guess he needed that poor mans Stephen Jackson in his life.

Don't forget the Gasol extension and signing, the Mills extension, missing out on better pieces in the Kawhi trade, trading Danny Green, resigning Richard Jefferson, etc, etc

DMC
12-21-2019, 02:05 PM
I'm OK with Danny leaving, he got to win a ring and is now probably going to win another in LA. He wouldn't get that opportunity again in SA and we all know he was eventually going to play with Lebron.

The comment made by Pop in many press conferences "I'm surprised every day that these players allow me to coach them the way I coach them" hit a brick wall with Kawhi. KL was one player who didn't feel in debt to Pop, so he was content telling the Spurs to go fuck their mothers some more. The mafioso front office style of the Spurs, that long standing unwritten set of rules with "Pop's way or the highway" works for G league players like Simmons trying to earn a payday, but for legit stars, they have a lot of other options. No Tim Duncan, no big 3, no allure to play in SA. Now you just have the island of misfit toys with no real star on the team. There's no future HOFer on the roster, not that I can tell. So they went from 3 HOFers (4 at some times) and a HOF coach to a group of role players and two low rent "stars", hoping to recapture that same level they got from these other guys. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

RC_Drunkford
12-21-2019, 02:31 PM
So you're ok with trading Danny so Pop can start Bryn Forbes? Because that has been the starting SG ever since Danny got traded. It's not like he asked for a trade.

cd021
12-21-2019, 04:00 PM
The list of the worst moves is much longer tbh

Doing that next, actually.

slick'81
12-21-2019, 04:50 PM

Keep up the good work CD

RC_Drunkford
12-21-2019, 05:18 PM

definitely looking forward to it