PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Are a redux of the 2000-2005 Clippers

Millennial_Messiah
12-22-2019, 12:24 AM
In terms of ball hogging, terrible shot selection "stars", bad defense and no shooting, tbh... but I can't decide if LMA is actually Olowokandi or Elton Brand. Kind of a hybrid of the two, honestly.

Clipper Nation
12-22-2019, 10:00 AM
LMA is definitely not Olowokandi. Kandi Man was notoriously lazy as fuck and refused to work on his game. I remember the Clippers hired Kareem to help coach him and he eventually quit in disgust because Olowokandi was so uncoachable. As soft as LMA can be, he's been in the league for over a decade and racked up a bunch of All-Star and All-NBA team appearances, none of which can be said for Kandi.

That being said, he's not Brand either. Brand's game (especially early in his career) was all about power and toughness. LMA is softer than Charmin.

baseline bum
12-22-2019, 11:39 AM
LMA is definitely not Olowokandi. Kandi Man was notoriously lazy as fuck and refused to work on his game. I remember the Clippers hired Kareem to help coach him and he eventually quit in disgust because Olowokandi was so uncoachable. As soft as LMA can be, he's been in the league for over a decade and racked up a bunch of All-Star and All-NBA team appearances, none of which can be said for Kandi.

That being said, he's not Brand either. Brand's game (especially early in his career) was all about power and toughness. LMA is softer than Charmin.

Man I can't think of any modern game equivalent of Kandiass. About the closest comparison I could ever think of with him was another shit lazy ass Clippers bigman, Benoit Benjamin. About the only interesting thing about watching those Olowokandi teams was hearing Bill Walton spend the entire game shitting on him on the Clippers broadcast.

Clipper Nation
12-22-2019, 12:14 PM
Man I can't think of any modern game equivalent of Kandiass. About the closest comparison I could ever think of with him was another shit lazy ass Clippers bigman, Benoit Benjamin. About the only interesting thing about watching those Olowokandi teams was hearing Bill Walton spend the entire game shitting on him on the Clippers broadcast.

Tyrus Thomas, Hasheem Thabeet, Jan Vesely, and Thomas Robinson all fit the mold of a modern-day Kandi, tbh. I don't know if they had the same attitude problems that Kandi had, but they were all "project" big men who got drafted way too high on athleticism and potential alone. Thabeet and Vesely are arguably even bigger busts than Kandi was.

I'd say the league has finally learned from all the high lottery picks they've wasted on that type of player, but Vlade's dumb ass just picked Bagley over Doncic not too long ago.

Millennial_Messiah
12-22-2019, 03:04 PM
LMA is definitely soft and lazy. He has a better jumpshot than Kandi, but that's about it. He's a 7 footer who can't play defense, struggles against the double and can't block shots.

Kandi in his prime (circa 2002, 2003) had that one hook shot from around 5 feet away that was darn near unstoppable and almost always went through the hoop.

Millennial_Messiah
12-22-2019, 05:11 PM
yeah I always hated juwan howard after that but Anderson was never the same after that when he went to the blazers

Mark Celibate
12-24-2019, 09:20 AM

:lol damn, as shitty as those Clippers teams were I'd tune in just to hear that

baseline bum
12-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Derick Anderson was His teammate jumped to the Spurs.

Worked out Great, a wing who could defend, break down the d, and space the floor with his 3.

Then Juwan Howard separated his shoulder in a Dirty play that is second only to Zaza "hit" on Newphew and the Spurs swept by the Fucking Lakers the next round, wasting a prime twin towers year.

:lmao

The fuck?

baseline bum
12-24-2019, 09:57 AM

Pretty much why I did. :lol

It was funny because Corona was one of their sponsors and every game they'd do an ad at the beginning of the fourth quarter when they were invariably down 20 about how Corona was the official beer of the timeout. As soon as Ralph Lawler would finish the ad script Walton would say shit like he needed ten of them to forget Olowokandi's disgraceful performance.

lefty
12-24-2019, 12:54 PM

Worked out Great, a wing who could defend, break down the d, and space the floor with his 3.

Then Juwan Howard separated his shoulder in a Dirty play that is second only to Zaza "hit" on Newphew and the Spurs swept by the Fucking Lakers the next round, wasting a prime twin towers year.
https://imageproxy.themaven.net/https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTYxMDI1OTM3NTY3Nzg2NDk4%2F image-placeholder-title.jpg?w=400&q=40&h=610&auto=format&fit=crop&crop=focalpoint&fp-x=0.5&fp-y=0.5&fp-z=1&fp-debug=false

https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/nba/_photos/2001-05-05-derek.jpg

http://espn.go.com/media/gallery/2001/0505/photo/gallery8.jpg

http://espn.go.com/media/nba/2001/0505/photo/s_danderson_vt.jpg

https://theundefeated.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/20170514_kkt_st3_013.jpg?w=700
The way the Lakers were playing that year, I don't think we would have beaten them even with a healthy Anderson

Lakers were on another stratosphere that postseason

lefty
12-24-2019, 12:55 PM
I wish we were the 2000-2005 Clippers

Clipper Nation
12-25-2019, 12:25 AM
Ralph and Bill were the best broadcasting team ever. "Where would the Clippers be without Sean Rooks?"

KobesAchilles
12-25-2019, 02:11 AM

https://imageproxy.themaven.net/https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTYxMDI1OTM3NTY3Nzg2NDk4%2F image-placeholder-title.jpg?w=400&q=40&h=610&auto=format&fit=crop&crop=focalpoint&fp-x=0.5&fp-y=0.5&fp-z=1&fp-debug=false

https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/nba/_photos/2001-05-05-derek.jpg

http://espn.go.com/media/gallery/2001/0505/photo/gallery8.jpg

http://espn.go.com/media/nba/2001/0505/photo/s_danderson_vt.jpg

https://theundefeated.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/20170514_kkt_st3_013.jpg?w=700

To this day I hate Howard. Punk ass bitch who never lived up to the hype. I was super pissed when he clotheslined Derrick. The homer in me says we take the chip that year.

But looking back, I forgot how shitty Duncan’s supporting cast was during those years. People wanna bitch about Garnett not having any help but look at Duncan’s roster 2000-03. It was garbage. And don’t bring up old man Robinson. The dude was a shell of himself.

lefty
12-25-2019, 09:33 AM
To this day I hate Howard. Punk ass bitch who never lived up to the hype. I was super pissed when he clotheslined Derrick. The homer in me says we take the chip that year.

But looking back, I forgot how shitty Duncan’s supporting cast was during those years. People wanna bitch about Garnett not having any help but look at Duncan’s roster 2000-03. It was garbage. And don’t bring up old man Robinson. The dude was a shell of himself.

L.A was too good during those playoffs, they destroy us with or without Anderson

baseline bum
12-25-2019, 10:27 AM
Ralph and Bill were the best broadcasting team ever. "Where would the Clippers be without Sean Rooks?"

Yeah far and away the best team I ever heard. Too bad Walton's back got too fucked up to be able to call their games once the Clippers got good.

Clipper Nation
12-25-2019, 12:44 PM
Yeah far and away the best team I ever heard. Too bad Walton's back got too fucked up to be able to call their games once the Clippers got good.
I don't think his back had anything to do with why he stopped broadcasting for the Clippers. He left because ESPN hired him away.

Millennial_Messiah
12-25-2019, 03:35 PM
Brand
Kandi
Maggette (DeRozan 1.0)
Miles
Q Rich
Piatkowski
Dooling
... am I missing somebody?

averaged around 30 wins a year. :lol

Mark Celibate
12-25-2019, 06:09 PM

:lol Walton's schtick of talking up journeymen big men like they were superstars was legitimately hilarious.

"Is there a better defensive power forward than Raef Lafrentz?"

baseline bum
12-25-2019, 06:26 PM
:lol Walton's schtick of talking up journeymen big men like they were superstars was legitimately hilarious.

"Is there a better defensive power forward than Raef Lafrentz?"

Walton talked so much shit though. I remember in the 1999 Finals when he called Larry Johnson a sad pathetic man for the way Duncan was dominating him and Johnson threw a fucking fit and tried to make it about slavery or something with Walton. Then two years later in the WCF Walton said Kobe was making the Spurs' twin towers look like the twin sisters. :lol

But still Prime Walton was the way he would trash Olowokandi. He'd even do it on the national broadcasts. I remember David Aldridge chiming in during a game in 2002-03 on ESPN about how the Spurs would have capspace to go after a quality bigman like Jermaine O'Neal or Olowokandi and Walton jumped right in the middle and said Olowokandi is not a quality bigman. :lol

Millennial_Messiah
12-25-2019, 06:44 PM
Walton talked so much shit though. I remember in the 1999 Finals when he called Larry Johnson a sad pathetic man for the way Duncan was dominating him and Johnson threw a fucking fit and tried to make it about slavery or something with Walton. Then two years later in the WCF Walton said Kobe was making the Spurs' twin towers look like the twin sisters. :lol

But still Prime Walton was the way he would trash Olowokandi. He'd even do it on the national broadcasts. I remember David Aldridge chiming in during a game in 2002-03 on ESPN about how the Spurs would have capspace to go after a quality bigman like Jermaine O'Neal or Olowokandi and Walton jumped right in the middle and said Olowokandi is not a quality bigman. :lol
we had all that capspace, and not only did we not get O'Neal or Kidd, but we lost more than half of the championship band including Jackson and Claxton. '04 team was just ghastly to watch on offense.

RC really shit the bed that summer (and Kobe raped).

Millennial_Messiah
12-25-2019, 06:45 PM
In '04 when Olowokandi was on the T'wolves Bill Walton would say "BLACK HOOOOOOOLE" referring to Kandiman a few times a game in every Minnesota game he'd call that year

baseline bum
12-25-2019, 07:25 PM
we had all that capspace, and not only did we not get O'Neal or Kidd, but we lost more than half of the championship band including Jackson and Claxton. '04 team was just ghastly to watch on offense.

RC really shit the bed that summer (and Kobe raped).

Speedy walked for what he thought would be a starting role in Golden State. Losing Jack hurt, especially against Dallas in 06. Though with Jack still there you gotta wonder if Manu would have ever broken out the way he did in 03-04.

Millennial_Messiah
12-26-2019, 03:57 AM
Speedy walked for what he thought would be a starting role in Golden State. Losing Jack hurt, especially against Dallas in 06. Though with Jack still there you gotta wonder if Manu would have ever broken out the way he did in 03-04.

Manu was ok in 03-04, missed time due to injury. He didn't really "break out" until about 25% of the way thru the 04-05 season.

spurraider21
12-26-2019, 04:12 PM
turkoglu was supposed to be a thing

Millennial_Messiah
12-26-2019, 05:26 PM
turkoglu was supposed to be a thing
yeah, but he never sniffed the starting lineup in sacramento, even over just okay starters like Christie and Stojakovic... Turkoglu was the 4th wing.

Spurtacular
12-26-2019, 05:39 PM
As someone who grown up in the LAC market, the parallels between Clippers and this year's Spurs have been hitting me.

But for me, it's been more like the early nineties where there were flashes but not much hope.

ElNono
12-27-2019, 01:09 AM
Walton was super entertaining and funny. Loved his color commentary. Fortunate enough to have gotten his autograph on a Spurs game he was doing for ESPN.

Millennial_Messiah
12-27-2019, 05:07 PM
Walton was super entertaining and funny. Loved his color commentary. Fortunate enough to have gotten his autograph on a Spurs game he was doing for ESPN.
"Tim Duncan is truly something special. This guy is off the charts."

"THROW IT DOWN, BIG MAN!"