PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Grizzlies - Dec. 23, 2019

timvp
12-24-2019, 04:13 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-memphis-grizzlies-december-23-2019/

tl;dr: Merry Christmas.

sananspursfan21
12-24-2019, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the grades! Hilarious how we just lost a “burn the tape” game and followed it up with an amazing, but winning “burn the tape” game. What a weird season. However this results in the end, this goofy team is doing just enough to peak my attention. I’ve been trying to tune out but they keep reeling me back in :lol

vavvi
12-24-2019, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the grades!

I'm not sure B- for Pop is fair. This is the grade for (insufficient) fan service. I want Murray-White together and Lonnie in the rotation as much as the next guy but the truth is Pop coached a good game (which is rare this season). His rotations worked. The timing of timeouts and substitutions was good and logical. He fed the hot hand. It has to be an A for Pop like it's an A for LMA and DDR who just drained their shots.

duncan2k5
12-24-2019, 06:06 AM
Just one bad team beating another bad team... We still very much need to trade LMA and DDR... but I'm sure their one good game will fool ppl into thinking they can become a contending team together

tbdog
12-24-2019, 06:08 AM
I'm a believer again.

duncan2k5
12-24-2019, 06:14 AM
I'm a believer again.

LMFAO

RC_Drunkford
12-24-2019, 06:52 AM
The defense and the rotations were garbage. The only good thing was that the starters looked more comfortable playing together. They had good ball movement, a lot of assists and even Trey Lyles filled up the stat sheet.

r0drig0lac
12-24-2019, 07:17 AM
Just one bad team beating another bad team

this

vavvi
12-24-2019, 07:19 AM
The defense and the rotations were garbage. The only good thing was that the starters looked more comfortable playing together. They had good ball movement, a lot of assists and even Trey Lyles filled up the stat sheet.

It was like a pickup game. Nobody even started to try on defense so it's unfair to seriously judge rotations in this game. It's like judging Adam Sandler's defensive rotations when he plays on the set.

8FOR!3
12-24-2019, 08:09 AM
It is so bizarre that Pop refuses to play Murray/White together. Sean Elliott mentioned something of it on one broadcast I believe. It's not like Patty and to a lesser extent even Forbes can't play spot minutes at PG when both guys need to be out of the game for a few minutes. Patty is running point sometimes anyways now as it is.

paperboy77
12-24-2019, 09:25 AM
Flukiest game of the year

jjktkk
12-24-2019, 11:04 AM
I hope the vets playing well will be an audition for Pop to trade them.

talkspurs
12-24-2019, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the grades!

I'm not sure B- for Pop is fair. This is the grade for (insufficient) fan service. I want Murray-White together and Lonnie in the rotation as much as the next guy but the truth is Pop coached a good game (which is rare this season). His rotations worked. The timing of timeouts and substitutions was good and logical. He fed the hot hand. It has to be an A for Pop like it's an A for LMA and DDR who just drained their shots.

Im the opposite I think Pop had to high of a grade. If the players play this well for some games in a row then maybe it can start looking like the coach. His rotations are still horrible. Just because the team is hot against a bad team does not mean he became a good coach. These are still NBA players and can get hot. He has lost it and this game will just let forbes stick in the SL. Until pop is willing to play White/Murray/Walker play significant minuets he should not get more then a C. Metu also has show in limited min to be improved. He should get some burn to see how good he has gotten.

Sugus
12-24-2019, 11:33 AM
Every won game is a step away from the obvious trades the team has to make. Pop not putting young players in a game over washed vets should never amount to a high grade. Not much else to this fluke game.

RC_Drunkford
12-24-2019, 11:38 AM
with Walker being out of the rotation, I wonder how good he will be the next time he plays real minutes. According to timvp's theory he should drop 50

FkLA
12-24-2019, 11:38 AM
I hate Marco so much.

Mugen
12-24-2019, 11:44 AM
I hope the vets playing well will be an audition for Pop to trade them.

:lol

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-24-2019, 12:01 PM
Great win, hopefully the start of a decent run, the schedule looks favourable. Last season they got it going around this time and there are still 50+ games to be played.

Keepin' it real
12-24-2019, 12:02 PM
Next stop: The Finals!

rjv
12-24-2019, 12:17 PM
fluke win against a bad team is more of an anomaly than a trend. and the bad part is that it may, as the article suggested, result in preventing the development of walker and a white/murray backcourt tandem.

heyheymymy
12-24-2019, 12:27 PM
This was such a great Christmas gift, spurs played computer game perfect. It was gorgeous, oh well, I'll take my silver linings where I can get them this season.

duncan2k5
12-24-2019, 12:39 PM
Every won game is a step away from the obvious trades the team has to make. Pop not putting young players in a game over washed vets should never amount to a high grade. Not much else to this fluke game.

exactly

duncan2k5
12-24-2019, 12:40 PM
Great win, hopefully the start of a decent run, the schedule looks favourable. Last season they got it going around this time and there are still 50+ games to be played.

to get stomped in the first round with 2 fake stars while our young guys get stunted? no thanks@ trade immediately! then we will be able to actually stand a chance in the playoffs

ZeusWillJudge
12-24-2019, 12:45 PM
:pop: "It's exactly like I've been telling you... when we make more shots than them we win. It's just not that complicated."

:pop: "Oh... and Lonnie is unnecessary."

gospursgojas
12-24-2019, 01:00 PM
Idc win or lose (spurs are not going anywhere this season anyway), any game Pop plays Marco over Lonnie and continues to a avoid playing Dj and Dw together he gets an F from me.

BackHome
12-24-2019, 01:15 PM
Fools Gold - The Grizz have a stipulation with the Celtics with their first round draft pick it’s protected top 6 so they are going to tank real hard to keep that pick.

spurs10
12-24-2019, 03:14 PM
Jolly good write-up. As I merrily watched the game I was grateful for the many Christmas gifts bestowed upon us via LMA's Polar Express.
:lma

Floyd Pacquiao
12-24-2019, 03:19 PM
Probably one of the worst wins in spurs history

Truth4sale$
12-24-2019, 03:37 PM
This was both a good win and a bad win, I say Bad because it is reason for Popovich to stay the course. Some guys still ain't getting it done(Gay) and some guys still sit at the end of the bench during a blowout, when they could have been in earlier---Metu, Lonnie.
Also, why bring Quinndary Weatherspoon along to a area close to his home, and not even play him. Give the guy 2-3 minutes of floor time. Geez

Sugus
12-24-2019, 04:17 PM
Also, why bring Quinndary Weatherspoon along to a area close to his home, and not even play him. Give the guy 2-3 minutes of floor time. Geez

Pop loves to have young guys recalled from the G-L only to "learn from the sidelines" and never step foot in the game. He did the same earlier this season; recalled Luka and Keldon from Austin, didn't play them a single minute in a game we ended up losing to the fucking Cavs, iirc. His shtick against young players is unbearable

John B
12-24-2019, 04:53 PM
If LMA plays this way every time, Spurs would be over .500. The sad part is he doesn’t for whatever reason. Demar aat least does, even with his bonehead T and end of game choke. The challenge is how to bring up that fight every time. Pop is a great X and O coach, a great teacher, but a psycholologist he’s not. I still think he’s a great coach, but I wander how Phil would fair given the same. Spurs have talent and it shows, sometimes against Houston, against the Clippers, last night. But it’s inconsistency that’s driving everybody nuts. I don’t think they’d shoot as well as last night, but Spurs shouldn’t be as bad. Well, I hope last night’s win makes the players believers and finally start playing to their potential. Merry Christmas to all.

tbdog
12-24-2019, 07:01 PM
Walker should start instead of Forbes. That's it really. I want Carroll over Beli or Gay at this stage. Carroll must be super lost for him not to play.

vavvi
12-25-2019, 02:20 AM
If LMA plays this way every time, Spurs would be over .500. The sad part is he doesn’t for whatever reason. Demar aat least does, even with his bonehead T and end of game choke. The challenge is how to bring up that fight every time. Pop is a great X and O coach, a great teacher, but a psycholologist he’s not. I still think he’s a great coach, but I wander how Phil would fair given the same. Spurs have talent and it shows, sometimes against Houston, against the Clippers, last night. But it’s inconsistency that’s driving everybody nuts. I don’t think they’d shoot as well as last night, but Spurs shouldn’t be as bad. Well, I hope last night’s win makes the players believers and finally start playing to their potential. Merry Christmas to all.

Merry Christmas to you too!
I think that LMA play had nothing to do with fight. He didn’t show any fight. He just got his shot going and happily continued launching.