PDA

View Full Version : Claxton to Golden State -- Done Deal

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 08:28 AM
Now that Arenas has signed an offer sheet with the Wizards, Claxton would seem to be on his way to Golden State. From what I understand, Golden State could match the Wizards' offer if they found a way to create the cap room within the 15 days from when they receive the offer sheet. Perhaps the Spurs could be of service then.

If the Warriors decline to match, then Claxton would seem destined to be a Warrior.

Edit --

Tuesday, July 22

Warriors find Arenas' replacement in Claxton
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
espn.go.com/nba/columns/s...84121.html (http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/stein_marc/1584121.html)

Speedy Claxton made himself some money in free agency with his Game 6 heroics for the Spurs.
The Golden State Warriors wasted no time in finding a replacement for Gilbert Arenas.

ESPN.com's Marc Stein reports that the Warriors will sign free-agent point guard Speedy Claxton to a three-year contract believed to be worth $10 million.

Arenas, 21, the Warriors' starting point guard and the NBA's Most Improved Player last season, signed an offer sheet believed to be worth $65 million with the Washington Wizards on Monday night. Golden State had 15 days to match the contract, but the addition of Claxton serves as an unofficial concession that the Warriors won't match.

Claxton, 25, became a hot commodity after helping the San Antonio Spurs to the NBA championship. He averaged 6.2 points and shot 56 percent from the field in the six-game series victory over the New Jersey Nets, coming up big in the title-clinching win in Game 6 with 13 points and four assists off the bench in place of slumping starter Tony Parker.

Claxton will step right in as the Warriors' starting point guard. The team's backup, Earl Boykins, is also a free agent, and the point guards currently on the roster are second-round pick Derrick Zimmerman and Steve Logan, a second-round pick last year who did not reach contract terms with the team.

CoachTF
07-22-2003, 10:22 AM
Golden State is doing a nice job of putting together the organization. They did a nice job of adding a young coach with tons of energy and a very high basketball IQ. They have added a couple of bright assistants who work well with players and they have some real good character guys. Claxton would get that team into their offense better than Arenas and allow them to run more of a team oriented offense. They worked hard on defense last year (Hank Egan) had something to do with that. Arenas has tons of talent but I'm not convinced he is the leader that team needs at the point. The Warriors could make some noise very soon if they can continue to develop their young talent. I think Troy Murphy and Dunleavy will step up big this year. Speedy would fit in great in Golden State and he would have a real class act coaching him. So if Speedy is going to leave us, I hope it's for the Warriors because they will take care of him.

SAmikeyp
07-22-2003, 02:51 PM
I would hate to see Speedy leave but he could really make some noise in Golden State.

Walton Buys Off Me
07-22-2003, 04:00 PM
Playing Oakland would become pretty interesting.....

I'd love to see Parker vs. Speedy

P.S What is 'Golden State'? I know it's supposed to conjure California but are the Warriors the only team in sports hailing from a 'fictional' city?

Adrienne18
07-22-2003, 04:12 PM
It's not supposed to be a fictional city, I guess Golden State (California IS the "Golden State") sounded better than the California Warriors...

KoriEllis
07-22-2003, 04:14 PM
ESPNews reporting Clax to GS is a done deal.

I'm waiting to see if there is wire confirmation.

tlongII
07-22-2003, 04:29 PM
The news just keeps getting worse by the day for Spurs fans.

ducks
07-22-2003, 04:30 PM
who is mad?

everyone knew it

most like the backup that gs had last year.

I like that guy better then speedy. speedy is to injury prone.

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-22-2003, 04:31 PM
TLong, shut up and get back to cracking the whip on those women and kids in the sweatshop...LeBron needs his BlingBling...:rolleyes

Spurminator
07-22-2003, 04:33 PM
This move vaults Golden State into my top 5 favorite teams.

junglespur
07-22-2003, 04:33 PM
Good for Speedy. Hate to see him go. But he deserves a shot at running his own team.

Just hope he doesn't get an ulcer once he realizes the absolutely horrific D played (or not played, as the case may be) by guys like Antawn and JRich.

It will be interesting to see how Speedy performs in GS. I think he will be a good distributor, probably better than Arenas (who was not that great in that part of the game). The tough part, IMO, will be that in GS's helter-skelter offense a lot of points came from guys like Arenas and Jamison just creating their own shot. Arenas was amazing at draining shots from outside with a guy his face. That didn't strike me as a strength of Speedy's.

Hopefully Speedy won't have the same problems that Andre Miller had in Clipper-land -- solid traditional point guard fitting in badly with an up-tempo run-and-gun-type crew where the point guard is more like just another scoring threat...

Good luck Speedy.

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 04:40 PM
The move we've been expecting all summer long. Too bad there wasn't a S&T deal to be had with Speedy.

ducks
07-22-2003, 04:43 PM
Warriors find Arenas' replacement in Claxton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Speedy Claxton made himself some money in free agency with his Game 6 heroics for the Spurs.
The Golden State Warriors wasted no time in finding a replacement for Gilbert Arenas.

ESPN.com's Marc Stein reports that the Warriors will sign free-agent point guard Speedy Claxton to a three-year contract believed to be worth $10 million.

Arenas, 21, the Warriors' starting point guard and the NBA's Most Improved Player last season, signed an offer sheet believed to be worth $65 million with the Washington Wizards on Monday night. Golden State had 15 days to match the contract, but the addition of Claxton serves as an unofficial concession that the Warriors won't match.

Claxton, 25, became a hot commodity after helping the San Antonio Spurs to the NBA championship. He averaged 6.2 points and shot 56 percent from the field in the six-game series victory over the New Jersey Nets, coming up big in the title-clinching win in Game 6 with 13 points and four assists off the bench in place of slumping starter Tony Parker.

Claxton will step right in as the Warriors' starting point guard. The team's backup, Earl Boykins, is also a free agent, and the point guards currently on the roster are second-round pick Derrick Zimmerman and Steve Logan, a second-round pick last year who did not reach contract terms with the team.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here. Also, send Stein a question for possible use on ESPNEWS.

baseline bum
07-22-2003, 04:48 PM
**** this front office for not being willing to outbid $3 million starting on a 3 year deal when the Spurs haven't landed shit this offseason. Great work there Pop and RC. I can't wait for when you trade our second best big for a one-dimensional over the hill two-guard.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 04:50 PM
:pc2 :cuss

Nice f'ing job.

Any more good news?

Question.

:cooldevil

KoriEllis
07-22-2003, 04:50 PM
Base, you know Speedy wanted to start. That's why he's gone.

MannyIsGod
07-22-2003, 04:51 PM
don't be stupid, they woudl easily offer speedy that much, he wanted to leave!!!

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 04:52 PM
WTF? Some of you have lost it. Call up Claxton and bitch him out.

ducks
07-22-2003, 04:54 PM
well it is lower then I thought BUT SPEEDY STARTS and that is what he wanted. I do not blame him one bit.

why over pay speedy to be a back and keep him on the team?

you would have to overpay him for a one year deal.

ChumpDumper
07-22-2003, 04:55 PM
:lol at the overreactions.

Claxton wants to start.

Godspeed.

Boykins can actually hit the three, BTW.

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 05:04 PM
Spurs fans will bitch about anything.©2003 TheGreatest, Inc.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 05:08 PM
I wonder if $4 million a year would've persuaded Speedy to sit.

ducks
07-22-2003, 05:09 PM
the three will spread the d.

maybe that makes more since then keeping a guy that is always injuried.

ducks
07-22-2003, 05:10 PM
NO GHOST he has the ring

he wants prove he can start.

it is about the EGO THING

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 05:15 PM
It was inevitable. Now Ghost has something imaginary to bitch about for the rest of the afternoon. Thank God.

Speedy wanted a starting gig and he got one.

KoriEllis
07-22-2003, 05:15 PM
GW, the Spurs tried to negotiate with Speedy, he insisted that he wanted to start.

Sincere good luck to him in Golden State.

ChumpDumper
07-22-2003, 05:16 PM
I wonder if $4 million a year would've persuaded Speedy to sit.

Who's to say GS wouldn't have upped their offer?

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 05:20 PM
I guess you guys did want Speedy back bad enough.

Money talks, Players walk.

Who's your super candidate to replace Claxton?

Question.

KoriEllis
07-22-2003, 05:23 PM
Who's your super candidate to replace Claxton?

I understand the Spurs have talked to Armstrong, Boykins and are looking at some guys in summer league.

ducks
07-22-2003, 05:24 PM
pub237.ezboard.com/ffulls...4234.topic (http://pub237.ezboard.com/ffullsportpressfrm7.showMessage?topicID=4234.topic )

one that can hit the three and not be hurt all the time

ChumpDumper
07-22-2003, 05:25 PM
Really Ghost, what part of "Speedy wanted to start" do you not understand?

I said Boykins can hit the three -- there are plenty of guys out there who can play 12mpg in the Spurs' offense.

You really think Speedy would've been happy with that role -- even at $4 million?

I'll answer "no" for you and save time.

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 05:27 PM
Great. Now Ghost will bitch about this day in and day out for the next year even though everyone and their mother knew that Claxton wanted to go to a team he could start on.

Adrienne18
07-22-2003, 05:28 PM
Speedy deserves to start. He's good enough. As for Boykins, I think he's worth whatever the Spurs could get him for. It would be hilarious to play him next to Tim though. (He's what, 5'5"?)

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 05:30 PM
"Speedy wanted to start."

No sh1t, guys.

What was the Spurs highest offer for him to sit?

Question.

baseline bum
07-22-2003, 05:31 PM
The only way I wanted to lose Claxton was if Kidd was coming. The way I heard it was Speedy had a price and the Spurs didn't want to pay it.

DRob + Claxton > Nesterrible + (Horry)

Therefore,

Spurs_2004 = Spurs_2003 - DRob - Claxton - 0 + Nesterrible + (Horry) < Spurs_2003

where 0 signifies the dead-weight of HITA

BTW, Lakers_2004 >> Lakers_2003

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 05:32 PM
If what you heard came out of Modesto you can forget it. It wasn't the price it was the starting gig.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 05:37 PM
If Claxton wanted to start in GS for less, fine. More power to him.

If the Spurs are wooing Horry for $5 million and let Claxton walk without trying to up the ante, you all can kiss my pale white @ss.

This summer absolutely sucks.

It feels like we have no cap space!

:lol

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 05:38 PM
Here we go. Yet another non-issue that Ghost is going to repeat again and again and again and again and.............

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 05:39 PM
Prove that we offered Claxton more or kindly STFU.

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 05:44 PM
:rolleyes

Listen fucker, he wanted to start. End of story. You bitch about other bench players and a big one year deal now you want to throw a ton of money at...a bench player.

Go figure.

Man I can't wait to see the "Claxton > Parker" threads now. Yeah.

ChumpDumper
07-22-2003, 05:45 PM
Prove the Spurs didn't.

And prove it would've made any difference.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 06:01 PM
Is Chump speaking? I asked you first, b1tch.

I'd feel better if it was confirmed that Claxton took less money to start elsewhere.

Frankly, I think he would've accepted more money to backup Parker.

Then again, Claxton probably wanted to get the hell out of San Antonio.

bigzak25
07-22-2003, 06:02 PM
Something that doesn't have to be proved is that it doesn't fucking matter anymore.

He's gone.

KoriEllis
07-22-2003, 06:10 PM
I'd feel better if it was confirmed that Claxton took less money to start elsewhere.

I'll find out for you, GW.

When Brand chose sign Miami's offer sheet instead of the Spurs, people were jumping off cliffs thinking the Spurs had backed off Brand or perhaps not offered him the max.

When I investigated, I was told that Brand chose Miami over SA because he was offered a shoe deal and other endorsements if he was in Miami.

The moral of my story is that sometimes things go on in the background that we don't know about it.

To appease your mind in the Speedy situation, I will ask what the circumstances were and report back to you. :)

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 06:11 PM
Doesn't matter Kori the little doggie will still bark.

T Park Num 9
07-22-2003, 06:37 PM
doesnt matter kori.

These dumbfucks will whine piss and shit all over the place for days over this.

ChumpDumper
07-22-2003, 06:52 PM
Is Chump speaking? I asked you first, b1tch.

Go **** yourself. Neither of us can prove anything. I'm telling you first.

We know it's all about how you feel....

Frankly, I think he would've accepted more money to backup Parker.

How much more, fuckwad?

Then prove it.

I'm asking you first.

ChumpDumper
07-22-2003, 06:54 PM
That's your MO, GhostWhiner. Find a point in the past that can't be proven either way, draw your own conclusion and repeat it on the board until you think you've convinced everyone it's a fact.

It doesn't play then and it doesn't play now.

gospurs21
07-22-2003, 10:19 PM
the only thing that makes me mad is that we could have picked up his option for 1.5 last fall. where are all the need to have that extra 1.5M for signing a star FA people (GW this means you)?

go luck Speedy, on that team you are going to need it

Go Spurs...

ShoogarBear
07-22-2003, 10:24 PM
the only thing that makes me mad is that we could have picked up his option for 1.5 last fall

Yeah, I was ambivalent when they didn't. I knew he would be great for us if he could stay healthy, but in Speedy's case, that's always a big if.

However, what happened turned out being the best-case scenario for Speedy, if not for the Spurs. Since I like him, that's okay by me.

ChumpDumper
07-22-2003, 10:34 PM
I was pissed when they didn't pick up the option and said so on the other board. We also screwed the pooch with the draft because we were too conservative with the cap estimates.

ShoogarBear
07-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Check the new thread: reports are that Speedy is offering the Spurs a chance to match the GS offer.