PDA

View Full Version : Video: Have the Spurs optimized their gameplan?

RC_Drunkford
12-30-2019, 06:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUdE7bFHZiQ

slick'81
12-30-2019, 06:58 PM
Well see when we face teams with a pulse

GAustex
12-30-2019, 07:07 PM
Good stuff
A bit creepy with the dawg at the end

RC_Drunkford
12-30-2019, 07:16 PM
this might be legit. LaMarcus shooting and DeMar playmaking. DJ is still to loose with the ball, DeRozan is a better playmaker. And LA shooting 3s gives him more space to get in the paint to score at an efficient rate. If he draws the double team he dishes out to the shooters who then get wide open looks. That means the Spurs get easier looks in the paint and from 3 while posting up less and shooting less midrange shots.

Of course they will have to prove that this works against the better teams, but I think we might have something here.

spurspl
12-30-2019, 07:24 PM
nothing new, penetrate into the paint to take 2-3 players and pass to wide open teammate on a 3pt range. Nothing new. The problem is that we dont have 3pt shooters. We were just lucky. I guarantee u this wont happen again in next game, no chance. If u wanna play like this u need to have a real shooter like curry, klay, joe harris, trae, booker, devonte etc. And who the spurs have? murray? ddr? forbes? XD

RC_Drunkford
12-30-2019, 07:27 PM
nothing new, penetrate into the paint to take 2-3 players and pass to wide open teammate on a 3pt range. Nothing new. The problem is that we dont have 3pt shooters. We were just lucky. I guarantee u this wont happen again in next game, no chance. If u wanna play like this u need to have a real shooter like curry, klay, joe harris, trae, booker, devonte etc. And who the spurs have? murray? ddr? forbes? XD

DDR is not the shooter, he's the playmaker/post player in this scenario. LaMarcus Aldridge has always been a shooter. If he can maintain this % from 3 has to be seen. Forbes is a shooter. Mills is a shooter. Gay is not known as a shooter, but shot 40% last year. White is not a known shooter, but is hitting 3s at 40%. Walker can shoot the 3. Lyles shoots a decent percentage. And there's still Belinelli although he should never see the floor. That's enough shooting if you ask me

slick'81
12-30-2019, 07:28 PM
It sure helps playing the pistons@home but supposedly the schedule is getting tougher and well see if the spurs have "found" something

spurspl
12-30-2019, 07:32 PM
DDR is not the shooter, he's the playmaker/post player in this scenario. LaMarcus Aldridge has always been a shooter. If he can maintain this % from 3 has to be seen. Forbes is a shooter. Mills is a shooter. Gay is not known as a shooter, but shot 40% last year. White is not a known shooter, but is hitting 3s at 40%. Walker can shoot the 3. Lyles shoots a decent percentage. And there's still Belinelli although he should never see the floor. That's enough shooting if you ask me

old, inconsistent or unproved. Thats not enough u ask me

RC_Drunkford
12-30-2019, 07:49 PM

what does age have to do with shooting?

Collins21
12-30-2019, 07:50 PM

I Think you're the biggest idiot on this forum and that's saying something.

FkLA
12-30-2019, 07:58 PM
Seems a bit premature to declare that after one game.

Who's to say Pop doesn't inexplicably go back to Shitinelli? What if LMA clanks his first two 3PT attempts next game? What if Forbes and Gay regress back to what their percentages have been all year?

RC_Drunkford
12-30-2019, 08:02 PM
Seems a bit premature to declare that after one game.

Who's to say Pop doesn't inexplicably go back to Shitinelli? What if LMA clanks his first two 3PT attempts next game? What if Forbes and Gay regress back to what their percentages have been all year?

that might all happen, but we have never seen them play like this. Initially people were saying play through LaMarcus and have DeRozan shoot the 3, but it works much better the other way around where they can both play to their strengths. Of course Pop has to insist on them to keep playing like this, but LA said in an interview today that he's trying to reprogram his mind so he takes 3-point shots instead of long 2s, so I guess that seems to be the plan.

SpurSpike
12-30-2019, 08:43 PM
Good stuff. At the very least this game shows the Spurs a blueprint to follow going forward.

The trick is getting LMA to accept playing more off the ball. But from the sounds of his interview he seems to accept that his game will have to change as he ages which is a good sign that he might buy into this type of play style.

ZeusWillJudge
12-30-2019, 08:43 PM
First there's the question of whether it's repeatable. And even if it could be repeatable, will Pop repeat it.

The one change that I'm 100% sure was a big improvement was getting Beli the fuck out of the lineup. That's close enough to optimized to me.

Leetonidas
12-30-2019, 08:46 PM
Lol.... Jumping to conclusions over a win against a shitty team. Watch Pop give Lonnie 5 DNPs straight while giving marco 20mpg. I don't believe any of this until I see Pop start giving walker consistent minutes. Because we've seen this a couple times already this season and then Pop goes right back to the same trash the next game

bdictjames
12-30-2019, 08:47 PM
Love the commentary.

DPG21920
12-30-2019, 09:17 PM
First there's the question of whether it's repeatable. And even if it could be repeatable, will Pop repeat it.

The one change that I'm 100% sure was a big improvement was getting Beli the fuck out of the lineup. That's close enough to optimized to me.

We’ve seen that before. There was a stretch where Beli was glued to the bench and then...like a Phoenix rising from the ashes he returns.

ZeusWillJudge
12-30-2019, 10:52 PM
We’ve seen that before. There was a stretch where Beli was glued to the bench and then...like a Phoenix rising from the ashes he returns.

How many times over the years have we seen a player have 2-3 incredible games, and then get slammed to the end of the bench? And yeah, Beli returning like the shark in Jaws. Just when you think it's safe to get hopeful... he's back. I've given up on cause-and-effect.

I remember people here calling for Aldridge to shoot more 3's, and saying that they thought he was capable of making a pretty good percentage of them. (I think SAGirl was one of them.) If he can hit them, I would think it would be a really desirable goal. Wouldn't you think there would have been a lot of discussion? Maybe Pop instructing him to take more of them, just to see how it would play out? I mean like making it a focus of the some film sessions?

I've started thinking back to some of Pop's public comments about how there's really not much of anything a coach can do (or words to that effect). He says things like the guys "are who they are". I always thought he was being sort of self-deprecating, and just talking shit. Now I really am wondering if he has meetings where he says, "LaMarcus - I really need you to start shooting 6+ 3's per game, no matter what, as part of my new strategy."

MarCowMar
12-30-2019, 11:39 PM
Quality summary, thx for sharing.

Slippy
12-31-2019, 02:13 AM
Good stuff. At the very least this game shows the Spurs a blueprint to follow going forward.

The trick is getting LMA to accept playing more off the ball. But from the sounds of his interview he seems to accept that his game will have to change as he ages which is a good sign that he might buy into this type of play style.

It ain't a trick. He accepted the role and has been shooting them threes all season long, adjusting to Demars game. He just shooting more of them now and some of ya are finally noticing because he went 5 fro m 6. Make no mistake LA is a bona fide three point shooting threat when he in rhythm. His teammates attest to this and so do fans at the game. He has a beautiful stroke and has a high release point. He hard to stop in this mode.

For LA the hard part is retraining that brain to what he used to. Playing off the post.

RC_Drunkford
12-31-2019, 06:02 AM
Aldridge has said he's worked on his 3-point shot all summer and is still working on it in practice, so I assume that was planned before the season even started. He just has to shoot them at a high volume

Joseph Kony
12-31-2019, 09:06 PM
was struggling against a god awful team missing 3 players part of optimizing the gameplan? :lmao

ZeusWillJudge
12-31-2019, 09:17 PM
was struggling against a god awful team missing 3 players part of optimizing the gameplan? :lmao

Heh. I struggled the whole first half.

If this is optimized...:lol

sasaint
12-31-2019, 09:40 PM
Optimized until teams cover LMA at the arc. If they take away his shot, he can't put the ball on the floor, and he can't pass well enough or quick enough for the team to capitalize on the open floor.

slick'81
12-31-2019, 09:42 PM
Knew this dude was full of shit when he opened his video with his dog:lol

ZeusWillJudge
12-31-2019, 09:51 PM

Beli on the bench? Check.

We Opt-O-Mized.

RC_Drunkford
12-31-2019, 10:07 PM
Beli on the bench? Check.

We Opt-O-Mized.

Belinelli is back in the rotation cause Lonnie Walker commited 1 foul where he tried to force a jump ball. Expect Beli to play for the next 10 games

FkLA
12-31-2019, 10:47 PM
Belinelli is back in the rotation cause Lonnie Walker commited 1 foul where he tried to force a jump ball. Expect Beli to play for the next 10 games

He got beat on a drive on the defensive end right before that too. :rolleyes

ZeusWillJudge
12-31-2019, 11:37 PM

He got beat on a drive on the defensive end right before that too. :rolleyes

:pop: "How is he going to get better if I play him?"

duncan2150
01-01-2020, 09:07 AM
Bryn playing nearly 30 minutes, beli playing 11 minutes, Forbes Mills white derozan Aldridge to close the game...

Dejounte
01-01-2020, 10:24 AM
DeMar is playing a lot differently than the start of the season. He's looking to drive and kick a lot more. Aldridge was camping out on the 3 against the Warriors a lot too. These are big changes. I'm glad Aldridge is camping out at the 3, he is a soft and useless rebounder.

ceperez
01-01-2020, 08:44 PM

But I thought we had 45% shooters like Bertans on the roster... not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R98AD_wrLH8

MultiTroll
01-01-2020, 09:06 PM
DeMar is playing a lot differently than the start of the season. He's looking to drive and kick a lot more. Aldridge was camping out on the 3 against the Warriors a lot too. These are big changes. I'm glad Aldridge is camping out at the 3, he is a soft and useless rebounder.
True!
And yet we still only beat the '4 starters down' Warriors in OT. :lol
So as long as he plays like an unmotivated pussy, even if he does start hoisting treys it will be same - + result.

This "Demar being the primary ballhandler" works great some trips down the floor, and as mentioned above let's see it against a team with a pulse.

White Walker DJ runnin the floor is so obvious to all except Grandpa Dictator.