PDA

View Full Version : Red Auerbach

conqueso
11-03-2005, 01:07 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&id=2211964

BOSTON -- Red Auerbach was happy, healthy and cantankerous as ever Wednesday night as he made it to what he estimated was his 50th Boston Celtics home opener.

Auerbach, who won nine NBA titles while coaching the Celtics -- a record that stood for 36 years until Phil Jackson matched it in 2002 -- still holds the title of team president.

Auerbach couldn't help himself from taking a few shots at Jackson, a man he respects but doesn't particularly admire.

"Phil obviously is a good coach, you don't win that many games without being a good coach. One thing, though. He's been very fortunate. He picks his spots. That's all I can say. Larry Brown doesn't pick his spots. He's a great coach," Auerbach said.

Auerbach also took a swipe at both Brown and Jackson for taking over teams coming off miserable seasons.

"Phil Jackson, they've got a pretty good ballclub out there, but he's got his built-in excuse. Larry Brown, whatever he does is a plus, so they've got everything going for them," Auerbach said. "You could have taken -- I won't say anybody, but you can take any knowledgeable coach and put them in those situations, and they can't do any worse. If L.A. doesn't make the playoffs, it's building. If New York doesn't make the playoffs, we're building, you know?"

Auerbach also predicted the San Antonio Spurs will not win the 2006 NBA championship, though he didn't explain his reasoning. "I know they're not going to win it," he said.

Wearing a white sweater with a Celtics logo beneath his tan sports coat, Auerbach spoke with reporters for about 10 minutes more than two hours prior to the start of the Knicks-Celtics game. Afterward, he met briefly with Brown.

"He's a phenomenal man. I was hoping he'd be at the first game," Brown said.

What a bitch.

Sense
11-03-2005, 01:07 AM
I like his prediction... :smokin

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-03-2005, 01:20 AM
He seems like a bitter old man.

Solid D
11-03-2005, 01:28 AM
"I know Joe Forte is a better point guard than Tony Parker." - Red Auerbach, draft night June 27, 2001.

http://www.nba.com/draft2001/images/players/forte_head.jpghttp://www.nba.com/draft2001/images/players/parker_head.jpg

leonarth
11-03-2005, 04:48 AM
"I know Joe Forte is a better point guard than Tony Parker." - Red Auerbach, draft night June 27, 2001.

http://www.nba.com/draft2001/images/players/forte_head.jpghttp://www.nba.com/draft2001/images/players/parker_head.jpg

Joe Who ? :lol

MI21
11-03-2005, 05:41 AM
Solid D delivers a monster facial on Red.

Nice.

ShoogarBear
11-03-2005, 08:23 AM
Remind me again how many championships Auerbach won without Bill Russell?

exstatic
11-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Red, whether the Spurs DO or DO NOT win the title this year, sometime either this year or next they will vault past your precious, mediocre Celtics into second place on the All Time NBA winning percentage chart. It's OK to be bitter, because you've also been...

OWN3D(Done in Celtic, or envy Green in your honor, Cigar boy)

ShoogarBear
11-03-2005, 08:39 AM
Celtics are bitter cause they fell both Duncan and Parker should have been theirs . . .

exstatic
11-03-2005, 09:08 AM
No conspiracy, just an old man who doesn't want to say on the record "Because I don't want them to...".

SWC Bonfire
11-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Celtics are bitter cause they fell both Duncan and Parker should have been theirs . . .

Yep. :tu

samikeyp
11-03-2005, 09:37 AM
Remind me again how many championships Auerbach won without Bill Russell?

5 out of 16. Having Larry Bird for the last three helped a little too! :p

ShoogarBear
11-03-2005, 10:28 AM
5 out of 16. Having Larry Bird for the last three helped a little too! :p

Nope, Auerbach only won nine as a coach, all with Russell. He wasn't the coach for any of the other 7.

samikeyp
11-03-2005, 11:22 AM
I thought you meant as a franchise, not Auerbach as just a coach. Auerbach was involved with the Celtics franchise for all 16 of of their titles.

MiNuS
11-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Red was great in his era with Russell and Jackson was great with Jordan and Oneal.

Today we're in the Duncan era. Live with it!

ManuTastic
11-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Word to Red: I'm gonna be at the Spurs/Celtics game next Friday, and if I SEE your bald head I'm gonna READ YOU like you never been READ B4... TWO TIMES!!!

peace out

dbreiden83080
11-03-2005, 02:00 PM
I don't care that he does not think we will win it, but at least explain why, come on already. Bashing phil is just dumb i know he had great talent, but so did you, cousy and russell and that whole bunch. You know people bash Phil but let's face it bulls were talented and never won shit before he took over. Lakers mad talent and were getting spanked in the playoffs without phil as well. He deserves a lot more credit than he gets.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Well, congratulations Red, you now stand in the same company as some of the retard trolls around here and Stephen A. Smith. You must be proud.