PDA

View Full Version : David Stern is dead

benefactor
01-01-2020, 04:15 PM
RIP tbh

baseline bum
01-01-2020, 04:27 PM
Damn, RIP to a great commissioner. Silver has been such a lousy replacement.

Gorepopovich
01-01-2020, 04:28 PM
RIP = (

bluebellmaniac
01-01-2020, 04:28 PM
I didn't like Stern... But may he RIP.

Robz4000
01-01-2020, 04:29 PM
RIP

spurs50_
01-01-2020, 04:29 PM
David Stern had balls.....not like the current guy

MultiTroll
01-01-2020, 04:38 PM
POS commissioner.

Did they bury him in his Lakers underwear?

Genovaswitness
01-01-2020, 04:58 PM
how many ships did this asshole cost the spurs? still the best commish and better than our current cocksucker

Barfunk
01-01-2020, 04:59 PM
POS commissioner.

I'm not one to make fun of a dead person or whatever, and David Stern is no exception, but agreed, POS commissioner and Adam Silver is no different. They ran/run the NBA all wrong. You guys know what I'm talking about. ESPfuckingN is also a huge blame for this. It's essentially why the NBA does what it does. We were very fortunate to win the titles we did.

Mr. Body
01-01-2020, 05:02 PM
POS commissioner.

In a Lakers coffin.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-01-2020, 05:05 PM
RIP

he cost Duncan 3-5 rings but without him SA may not have a team at all

fusionjazzman72
01-01-2020, 05:11 PM
:lol

Budkin
01-01-2020, 05:20 PM
Hated him as a commissioner, corrupt as hell, but he was a legend. RIP.

tholdren
01-01-2020, 05:22 PM
Tldr

paperboy77
01-01-2020, 05:43 PM
David Stern had balls.....not like the current guy

All the good ones are dying off... sadly. RIP

bluebellmaniac
01-01-2020, 05:55 PM
In a Lakers coffin.

Would be his wishes.

BWS-1994
RIP ��

baseline bum
RIP

he cost Duncan 3-5 rings but without him SA may not have a team at all

Really? Which years?

SPURt
01-01-2020, 06:15 PM
Dang, that’s crazy! He allowed stars like Magic, Bird, MJ, etc. to build the NBA up. Always made good decisions for the league based on the talent at hand, like Yao Ming. RIP, say whatever you want but I fell in love with the NBA under his watch.

tmtcsc
01-01-2020, 06:16 PM
He was a great commissioner and didn't put up with the Load Management bullshit. It's out of hand today and the Spurs were guilty of flaunting it in the league's face and pissing off fans. No bigger asswhip than sitting down to watch a Spurs vs Miami game and finding out your team pretty much has no shot to win. Stern handled it appropriately by fining the Spurs $250K for thinking they were bigger than the league.

ZeusWillJudge
01-01-2020, 06:32 PM
Like so many things, you don't know what you have until you don't have it.

RIP.

Coach X
01-01-2020, 06:47 PM
Great professional sports league commissioner. He took a terrible product and converted it the #1 sports league in the world. NFL is just american, European soccer leagues are irrelevant in the US, NBA is huge across the globe.

RIP

cd98
01-01-2020, 07:22 PM
Great professional sports league commissioner. He took a terrible product and converted it the #1 sports league in the world. NFL is just american, European soccer leagues are irrelevant in the US, NBA is huge across the globe.

RIP

This. His globalization of basketball not only broadened the talent but created additional revenue stream to help the league grow to what it is today. He was definitely not a player favorite, but Silver has gone to the extreme of player side and it’s damaged the league reputation in the US.

UZER
01-01-2020, 07:28 PM
He was a great commissioner and didn't put up with the Load Management bullshit. It's out of hand today without his leadership and the Spurs were & at the forefront guilty of flaunting it in the league's face and pissing off fans. No bigger asswhip than sitting down to watch a Spurs vs Miami game and finding out your team pretty much has no shot to win. Stern handled it appropriately by fining the Spurs $250K for thinking they were bigger than the league.

It hurts the product, but Im pretty sure Vegas was definitely not happy about how it messes with the lines and let Stern know about it.

ducks
01-01-2020, 07:28 PM
All the good ones are dying off... sadly. RIP

Is that why pop is alive and his wife dead

Slippy
01-01-2020, 07:33 PM
RIP. Help make the nba global and what is today. Thanks to David Stern for bringing the NBA to our tvs in Australia and the rest of the world.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-01-2020, 07:38 PM
Really? Which years?

2004*
2006*
2008*

MultiTroll
01-01-2020, 07:45 PM
I'm not one to make fun of a dead person or whatever, and David Stern is no exception, but agreed, POS commissioner and Adam Silver is no different. They ran/run the NBA all wrong. You guys know what I'm talking about. ESPfuckingN is also a huge blame for this. It's essentially why the NBA does what it does. We were very fortunate to win the titles we did.
I'm not either that is why I referred to him as POS Commissioner. I've never met him in person nor seen any interviews other then his NBA related PR schticks.
But yes he has died and to me it's now in Gods hands as will all of us be sometime. And we all fall short of perfection.

He did not help the game. I found his attempted denigrating of Donoghy broaching the subject of fixing and the suggestion that some refs and games were on the take to be disgusting. But he helped the corporate pigs and it certainly trickled down to the players salaries in spades.

SpurPadre
01-01-2020, 07:50 PM
Really? Which years?

.04 and the Thunderrefs 2012 WCF, tbh.

baseline bum
01-01-2020, 08:03 PM
2004*
2006*
2008*

Duncan having no help in fourth quarters in 2002 was Stern's fault?

0.4 sucked but even with instant replay that wasn't getting overturned since the clock started late. Can't really blame that one on anyone when the difference between that shot counting and not came down to a couple of tenths of a second error in starting the clock that anyone could make.

Kurt Thomas, Bonner, Oberto, and Francisco Elson were going to do better against Garnett and Perkins than they did Gasol and Radmanovic? And it's Stern's fault Pop left Udoka out there to die against Kobe instead of bringing Bowen back in the game when they blew the 20 point lead in Game 1? The no-call on Barry's three in Game 4 was awful but that wasn't a title team.

Stern's the one who made Leonard miss a free throw and bobble a rebound in 2013?

2006 is a reasonable complaint, the officiating was ridiculous in that series from the inadvertent whistle in Game 2 to the touch foul Dirk got near the end Game 4 to force OT.

2012 is also a reasonable complaint, as Game 6 was fucking fixed.

Proxy
01-01-2020, 08:55 PM
Meh, not sure why anyone pretends to care about him, or pretends like they liked him when he was the commissioner. No real difference between him and silver now. Was funny when the spurs nearly beat Miami for that resting game,

paperboy77
01-01-2020, 11:05 PM
Is that why pop is alive and his wife dead

:dramaquee

Spurs da champs
01-02-2020, 01:31 AM
I'm glad he vetoed the CP3 to Lakers trade, best thing he did during his tenure imo.

ismael-robert
01-02-2020, 04:03 AM
I'm not either that is why I referred to him as POS Commissioner. I've never met him in person nor seen any interviews other then his NBA related PR schticks.
But yes he has died and to me it's now in Gods hands as will all of us be sometime. And we all fall short of perfection.

He did not help the game. I found his attempted denigrating of Donoghy broaching the subject of fixing and the suggestion that some refs and games were on the take to be disgusting. But he helped the corporate pigs and it certainly trickled down to the players salaries in spades.

If he wasn't a follower of Christ then he's not RIP. True no one's perfect but those who love Jesus have his perfection imputed onto them n don't have to fear judgement day

tbdog
01-02-2020, 05:46 AM
Wasn't retired for long.

tbdog
01-02-2020, 05:46 AM
Oh ffs, Bible bashers in the house!!!!

Shakril
01-02-2020, 06:50 AM
I'm glad he vetoed the CP3 to Lakers trade, best thing he did during his tenure imo.

You mean the worst thing. That was a big no go for a commisoner to do. He has to be impartial, no matter what and he screwed a franchise for many years to come.
It does not matter if you like the Lakers or not, but its not up to the commisoner to veto a legitimate trade only cause you dont like it. Btw: The CP3 Trade was better, than what NOP got for AD.

K...
01-02-2020, 10:17 AM
You mean the worst thing. That was a big no go for a commisoner to do. He has to be impartial, no matter what and he screwed a franchise for many years to come.
It does not matter if you like the Lakers or not, but its not up to the commisoner to veto a legitimate trade only cause you dont like it. Btw: The CP3 Trade was better, than what NOP got for AD.

. Lamar Odom, Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, Goran Dragic and a couple of draft picks to New Orleans this?

baseline bum
01-02-2020, 10:36 AM
If he wasn't a follower of Christ then he's not RIP. True no one's perfect but those who love Jesus have his perfection imputed onto them n don't have to fear judgement day

:rollin

JeffDuncan
01-02-2020, 10:40 AM

Never mind all that. He was a lawyer. So there's no chance he's going to heaven.

Shakril
01-02-2020, 12:02 PM
this?

Pau Gasol was part of the Deal too, at that time he was still a top player of the NBA.

lefty
01-02-2020, 12:13 PM
Dang, that’s crazy! He allowed stars like Magic, Bird, MJ, etc. to build the NBA up..
Actually it was the other way around

K...
01-02-2020, 12:46 PM
Pau Gasol was part of the Deal too, at that time he was still a top player of the NBA.

Gasol was going to Houston

Here is Wojnarowski's breakdown of how the trade was shaping up before it was quashed:

Under terms of the deal, the Lakers would have sent Gasol to the Rockets. The Hornets would have received Odom, Rockets guards Kevin Martin and Goran Dragic and forward Luis Scola, league sources said.

Houston had also agreed to send a 2012 first-round pick—previously obtained from the Knicks—to New Orleans as part of the package, a source said..

SPURt
01-02-2020, 12:54 PM
Actually it was the other way around
You’re correct, I was trying to articulate he let those guys build the league and was smart enough to stay out of the way.

lefty
01-02-2020, 01:27 PM
You’re correct, I was trying to articulate he let those guys build the league and was smart enough to stay out of the way.
ah ok

FkLA
01-02-2020, 01:44 PM
Never liked him after he said his dream finals was Lakers vs Lakers. But still RIP, tbh.

lefty
01-02-2020, 01:45 PM
Never liked him after he said his dream finals was Lakers vs Lakers. But still RIP, tbh.
:lol

baseline bum
01-02-2020, 02:01 PM

Would have been funny to see Shaq clothesline Kobe.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-02-2020, 02:54 PM
Never mind all that. He was a lawyer. So there's no chance he's going to heaven.

:lol Nice.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-02-2020, 02:56 PM
RIP.

He was better than Silver.

koriwhat
01-02-2020, 03:24 PM
another day, another death... silver's a horrible commish though.

K...
01-02-2020, 03:32 PM
Why are people down on silver? Stern left him a great position, but had he really done anything bad?

TheChillFactor
01-02-2020, 08:04 PM
I hope they get Lakers broadcasts in hell

MannyIsGod
01-02-2020, 08:15 PM
Damn, RIP to a great commissioner. Silver has been such a lousy replacement.

Unmm what? This is an insane take. Stern went after players like AI because he was scared of rap and black people.

MannyIsGod
01-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Dang, that’s crazy! He allowed stars like Magic, Bird, MJ, etc. to build the NBA up. Always made good decisions for the league based on the talent at hand, like Yao Ming. RIP, say whatever you want but I fell in love with the NBA under his watch.

Lol. Allowed. Ok

baseline bum
01-02-2020, 10:12 PM
Unmm what? This is an insane take. Stern went after players like AI because he was scared of rap and black people.

I'm conflicted on Stern for that, and for limiting players pay like he did too. On the other hand, the Spurs success would have never happened without him driving the hard bargain he did in the 99 lockout. The Spurs would have ended up hamstrung by one big contract with Tim the same way the Timberwolves were with Garnett. I also have to give Stern credit for getting the NBA off tape delay. You can say that was Magic and Bird, but the NBA was still small potatoes and on tape delay their first few years in the league. Whereas Silver has let the small markets become minor league teams to the big markets now the same way we used to see in the MLB. It's one thing for players to walk to big markets but to force trades there while under contract? Silver seems weak as hell and I think there is going to be hell to pay once the owners can opt out of this CBA. With contracts effectively only going one way now I think owners are going to try to push for NFL style non-guaranteed contracts in 2023, which of course the players would be fools to accept. And I think there's a great chance we're going to lose a season because of it.

exstatic
01-02-2020, 10:13 PM
Stern was a really good commish who overstayed his welcome by about 5 years. His fine on the Spurs for the Miami game was the worst kind of shoot from the hip bullshit. He fined them $250K BEFORE the fucking game, and then needed
LeBron to go absolutely apeshit in the last minute and a half to keep from being a complete fool.