PDA

View Full Version : Pop on Lonnie Walker IV after starting him against the Bucks: "I thought he was wonderful. He looked calm and played solid basketball. I liked it."

timvp
01-05-2020, 06:02 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/yoJC2t0BqEXx1J1aCY/source.gif

"I thought he was wonderful. He looked calm and played solid basketball. I liked it."

https://media.giphy.com/media/yoJC2t0BqEXx1J1aCY/source.gif

Will Pop keep Lonnie Walker !V in the starting lineup in place of Bryn Forbes when Dejounte Murray returns?

prayingdog.jpg

John B
01-05-2020, 06:58 AM
Spurs were up due to LMA shooting hot from the 3, but the lineup of White/Walker/Demar/LMA/Lyle had no dedensive liability. Spurs could switch on pnr and still put a good body on The Greek Freak. It was a great watching Spurs match Bucks’ physicality. The spacing sometimes wasn’t great, but LMA hot shooting rectify it. And Walker on the open court could beat any defender and was able to dish inside, or attack the rim, except for great blocks by Bucks. But the 2nd unit of Forbes/Mills/Beli was horrible. I think that was when Bucks made the run. If somehow Pop could avoid using that trio together in the future.

Slippy
01-05-2020, 07:09 AM
He gave up a few inches in height. Still, his one on one effort on Middleton was top of the pops for me . Pretty sure that guy got going only when guardedby Bryn who gave up many inches . Part of the midget brigade.

Glad to see Pop taking note.

siraulo23
01-05-2020, 07:44 AM
:tu

szkorhetz
01-05-2020, 09:15 AM
Welcome to the doghouse, Lonnie. :pop:

paperboy77
01-05-2020, 12:50 PM
Spurs were up due to LMA shooting hot from the 3, but the lineup of White/Walker/Demar/LMA/Lyle had no dedensive liability. Spurs could switch on pnr and still put a good body on The Greek Freak. It was a great watching Spurs match Bucks’ physicality. The spacing sometimes wasn’t great, but LMA hot shooting rectify it. And Walker on the open court could beat any defender and was able to dish inside, or attack the rim, except for great blocks by Bucks. But the 2nd unit of Forbes/Mills/Beli was horrible. I think that was when Bucks made the run. If somehow Pop could avoid using that trio together in the future.

I mean if he MUST play those guys then he should insert them smartly. Fine bring Forbes in for either guard but instruct him to start gunning 3's because that's why he's there. Meanwhile the rest of the SL would know this and go into it knowing they have to pick up the slack. I guess I'm saying this specifically for Bryn. Marco has carved out a role in the league that is valuable and EVERYBODY knows what he brings (or can bring). Patty has been on a bad streak as of late but he is valuable for us. He might actually need a few DNP's. Another one is Jakob. Love this guy but yesterday he actually hurt us next to LA. The Bucks were able to play 5 on 4 defensively when JP was on the perimeter. (Maybe is was just the Bucks.)

Other than that I largely agree with the SL you mention at the top due to their adaptability.

John B
01-05-2020, 01:07 PM
I mean if he MUST play those guys then he should insert them smartly. Fine bring Forbes in for either guard but instruct him to start gunning 3's because that's why he's there. Meanwhile the rest of the SL would know this and go into it knowing they have to pick up the slack. I guess I'm saying this specifically for Bryn. Marco has carved out a role in the league that is valuable and EVERYBODY knows what he brings (or can bring). Patty has been on a bad streak as of late but he is valuable for us. He might actually need a few DNP's. Another one is Jakob. Love this guy but yesterday he actually hurt us next to LA. The Bucks were able to play 5 on 4 defensively when JP was on the perimeter. (Maybe is was just the Bucks.)Other than that I largely agree with the SL you mention at the top due to their adaptability.That starting lineup was a beast. It works with LMA shooting the 3 opening the lanes. Spurs matched player to player in physicality, even tipped the balance when Walker playing aggressive to the rim.

John B
01-05-2020, 01:12 PM
If Lonnie starts, I think White has to start because he’s a better shooter than Murray. It’s just better spacing. Also I think both Walker/Murray bring combo guard with Walker better attacking the rim. Demar helps sets-up the plays.

TDomination
01-05-2020, 02:14 PM
I LOVED that starting lineup. It was wonderful. The bench not so much

GAustex
01-05-2020, 02:23 PM
Mills and Beli are the weak links

ginobilized
01-05-2020, 02:29 PM
Please let it happen again!
Glad that Pop is attuned beyond the level he receives here on ST, generally.

Next game should be telling.

FkLA
01-05-2020, 02:47 PM
When asked about Carroll's first game of extended minutes, Pop had this to say:

"I thought he was wonderful. I thought he played pretty well at both ends. He doesn't know what we're doing all the time offensively, which is totally understandable. But he's putting out the effort and he played aggressively so that was good."

zLdyFGpj6Xk

prayingdog.jpg @ Pop actually playing him going forward

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282050&highlight=Carroll

GreekSpursfan
01-05-2020, 02:59 PM
What do you expect Pop to say "he was terrible"? which he was if we're being honest. He's a young kid, he will improve with time. I think Pop is handling him like he's supposed to. You have to earn stuff in life otherwise if things are given to you with open arms then you won't progress. Pop knows how it should be done and thanks god he's not listening to people around here. Lonnie will develop the right way.

FkLA
01-05-2020, 03:04 PM
What do you expect Pop to say "he was terrible"? which he was if we're being honest. He's a young kid, he will improve with time. I think Pop is handling him like he's supposed to. You have to earn stuff in life otherwise if things are given to you with open arms then you won't progress. Pop knows how it should be done and thanks god he's not listening to people around here. Lonnie will develop the right way.

Forms was terrible. Belli was terrible. Even Wombat was terrible. Lonnie wasn't.

HarlemHeat37
01-05-2020, 03:05 PM
Nice of Pop to say, Walker was absolutely terrible last night:lol.

I like his potential much more than Murray or White, though.

ducks
01-05-2020, 03:19 PM
Nice of Pop to say, Walker was absolutely terrible last night:lol.

I like his potential much more than Murray or White, though.

He had no chemistry with the starters

JeffDuncan
01-05-2020, 03:41 PM
He had no chemistry with the starters

In his very first start. Oh dear, what a tragedy.

ducks
01-05-2020, 03:45 PM
In his very first start. Oh dear, what a tragedy.

Another poster said he was terrible not me

JeffDuncan
01-05-2020, 03:53 PM
Another poster said he was terrible not me

Ok, you were just stating what anybody should have expected. Of course there was no chemistry, and that affected how it went, you mean?

Floyd Pacquiao
01-05-2020, 04:07 PM

Horrible post. What was he terrible at?

BackHome
01-05-2020, 04:53 PM
He did not have a good start it was his first time starting and you could tell he was confused on his defensive assignments. But Pop was right to pull him and then give him a few minutes to let all the adrenaline wear off but to be honest this should not have been his first start. Either way I am very high on him I am just hoping he can stay healthy he needs to be a little more patient when attacking the rim.

I also agree with that Walker and White are a better together as White can set up players better and is more willing to give out assist. I think in the future White, Walker, Keldon, Luka, and Poodle can be something special.

alpha_HaZE
01-05-2020, 06:05 PM

good points all around!

get_mills_out
01-05-2020, 06:06 PM
Starting Walker for Forbes just means Pop will play long stretches of Mills/Forbes/Beli.

Not progress.

paperboy77
01-05-2020, 06:49 PM
That starting lineup was a beast. It works with LMA shooting the 3 opening the lanes. Spurs matched player to player in physicality, even tipped the balance when Walker playing aggressive to the rim.

Very much like LA and maybe someday DD taking 3s. Way better if they make them but still very important that they TAKE them. Lonnie driving... showing his elite first step.. make it or not puts a shitload of pressure on the defense. It will eventually be a positive when he ultimately and consistently exposes and destroys the "Bryn Forbes" of the NBA.

All this thinking and strategizing falls on Grandpa-Pop to figure out.

Down Under
01-05-2020, 06:54 PM
There were a couple of times early in the 2nd half he had wide open 3s, one from the corner & he drove into teeth of the defense instead. He's gotta let that fly.

RC_Drunkford
01-05-2020, 07:04 PM
Lonnie played great defense on Middleton. Offensively he was iffy, getting blocked at the rim, etc. but that will change with more playing time. His main task will be to defend and he did that well. It will take some time until he finds his offensive role with the starters, but he will get there

BillMc
01-05-2020, 07:27 PM
Lonnie is so quick it is startling. I am tempted to want to see Lonnie and DJ together just for the speed. But I think White would be a better runningmate for Lonnie.

8FOR!3
01-05-2020, 08:45 PM
With Walker starting the only other lineup change I'd consider is to use KJ or Carroll as the backup SF. With Mills/Forbes/Gay on the bench you don't really need a great shooter at the 3.

Seventyniner
01-05-2020, 11:34 PM
A good team can have one of the Forbes/Mills/Beli trio in the rotation. Having two caps the ceiling at a low playoff seed, and all three is just a recipe for disaster.

Realdeal1
01-06-2020, 12:09 AM
We need more Keldon Johnson in the rotation .... Beli / Forbes / and Mills together is gonna kill any momentum or chances of winning any games

John B
01-06-2020, 01:07 AM
Lonnie is so quick it is startling. I am tempted to want to see Lonnie and DJ together just for the speed. But I think White would be a better runningmate for Lonnie.
Walker looks like a bus coming at you in full speed, the kid is so strong and nimble at the same time. Seriously he’s like a smaller Lebron. I’m so hyped with his speed and brawn, I didn’t realize he had. Just need to finish those with a dunk, never mind the finger roll.

John B
01-06-2020, 01:15 AM
https://youtu.be/DtBx6tK7oeE

"WE'LL SEE WHAT WE(he) ARE WANTING TO DO"
“He adds something to the group that we don’t really have”. You got that right... DEFENSE :lol
Yup I think Walker is staying...

Fireball
01-06-2020, 05:55 AM
Really tough choices when Murray returns ... but we have to find a way to avoid playing Forbes/Mills/Belli (even only two of those) together ... but as Carroll will not enter the rotation and Pop refuses to play all three young guys 30 minutes it just does not seem possible

tholdren
01-06-2020, 07:18 AM
Walker looks like a bus coming at you in full speed, the kid is so strong and nimble at the same time. Seriously he’s like a smaller Lebron. I’m so hyped with his speed and brawn, I didn’t realize he had. Just need to finish those with a dunk, never mind the finger roll.

He's like 66 185lbs... ????

Mugen
01-06-2020, 11:18 AM
Shut up and step aside, old man.

spurspl
01-06-2020, 11:20 AM
fg 3/12 and 0/3 3pt... pop are u high??

Sugus
01-06-2020, 11:43 AM
fg 3/12 and 0/3 3pt... pop are u high??

You can certainly play solid basketball, and miss your shots. He had a couple of bad decisions, and was blocked at the rim a couple times, but otherwise looked fundamentally sound, especially on the defensive end. And since Pop in the past has been critical of Lonnie for his effort and defensive play, things which are unrelated to his scoring prowess which is plainly visible, it makes sense that he'd also praise him over things other than scoring.

At the end of the day, if Lonnie goes on to start the majority/every game for the season onwards, I could see the strategy that Pop's been using to mentally develop him. He clearly isn't impressed by Lonnie's scoring and is looking for more facets to his game - nobody had him pegged as a good or great defender on draft day, for example, and yet I've been impressed lately with his effort on D and aggressiveness in general. It was always a retarded strategy to begin with, but hey, if it works out for Lonnie...

Dejounte
01-06-2020, 12:12 PM
“He was prepared well,” guard Patty Mills said. “It wasn’t he was necessarily thrown into the fire. (Saturday) was a learning process for him as much as him not playing, or him playing in the G League.

“People don’t understand, all of this is to mold and prepare him as a Spur, and for him to grow into it.”

In his first four games with at least 20 minutes of playing time before Saturday, Walker averaged 17.5 points and made 25 of 43 shots.

That included a breathtaking breakout performance in the Spurs’ 135-133 overtime victory of Houston on Dec. 16, in which Walker made play after play on the way to a career-best 28 points.

Walker did not quite reach those heights in Milwaukee, but turned in a night full of what Popovich called “good, solid basketball.”

Walker said he feels like a better player than he was even a month ago.

“My defense is really improving,” he said. “I’m staying in front of a lot of players, doing what I need to do and following the game plan. Offensively, it’s just being aggressive and making smart plays. I’m doing things the way Coach expects me to do it.”

Popovich’s explanation for how Walker came to find his first career NBA start was simple enough.

He earned it.

“He’s played smarter and smarter every game,” Popovich said.

It is too soon to say that Walker has arrived as an NBA starter, but he is arriving.

And maybe that is a moment worthy of fireworks after all.

“Everything is starting to go the way it’s supposed to go,” Walker said. “I’m only going to get better from here.”

John B
01-06-2020, 01:17 PM
I like this kid’s attitude about earning his right to play, learning defense is the key. Chip has work ahead to get his outside shot. He nails that, it opens his game more. Kawhi 2.0 anyone?

RC_Drunkford
01-06-2020, 01:28 PM
I like this kid’s attitude about earning his right to play, learning defense is the key. Chip has work ahead to get his outside shot. He nails that, it opens his game more. Kawhi 2.0 anyone?

His outside shot is good already. He's a better shooter than White and has great shooting form

Sugus
01-06-2020, 01:33 PM
“He was prepared well,” guard Patty Mills said. “It wasn’t he was necessarily thrown into the fire. (Saturday) was a learning process for him as much as him not playing, or him playing in the G League.

“People don’t understand, all of this is to mold and prepare him as a Spur, and for him to grow into it.”

“My defense is really improving,” he said. “I’m staying in front of a lot of players, doing what I need to do and following the game plan. Offensively, it’s just being aggressive and making smart plays. I’m doing things the way Coach expects me to do it.”

Quick, someone hide this from Mugen :lol

Great to see Lonnie's being positive about his lack of playing time and development. Now that it looks like he's earned Pop's trust as a starter, he needs to show up to to secure those minutes. Of course, Forbes and Marco never had to show up for shit, but alas...

FkLA
01-06-2020, 02:25 PM
Maybe we were too hard on the old man. Maybe he hasn't lost it and maybe he was on some CIA Pop shit with Lonnie. He did play him in the 4th with starters in the last preseason game which suggests he had plans for Lonnie to contribute this year, tbf.

It did directly lead to the current record and it was torture watching Shitinelli get his minutes, but like timvp said in the grand scheme of things using half a season to mold him is a pretty small amount of time. Maybe this was Pop's way of preparing him, tbh.

FkLA
01-06-2020, 02:29 PM
Now he just has to kick his son Forms to the curb, tbh.

spurs10
01-06-2020, 02:42 PM
Good to hear!!

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-06-2020, 03:06 PM
We have sh!t left over to come off the bench, but, yeah, I loved it too.

Having Murray back will help, and perhaps Pop will discover that he signed Demarre Carroll in the off-season and work him into the bench unit. Less Forbes and Belli, and more White/Murray and Carroll would help the bench unit I think.

I hope Pop sticks with it because Walker should absolutely be starting.

RC_Drunkford
01-06-2020, 03:37 PM
:lol watch Pop start Patty

JeffDuncan
01-06-2020, 03:43 PM
Maybe we were too hard on the old man. ...

Not a chance. Pop has coached the team to a 14 - 20 record (with the roster he had a primary role in creating.) He's earned every insult.

Why did Pop leave Lonnie on the bench so long this season, and start Forbes? Because Pop is stupid.

RC_Drunkford
01-06-2020, 04:41 PM
Maybe we were too hard on the old man. Maybe he hasn't lost it and maybe he was on some CIA Pop shit with Lonnie. He did play him in the 4th with starters in the last preseason game which suggests he had plans for Lonnie to contribute this year, tbf.

It did directly lead to the current record and it was torture watching Shitinelli get his minutes, but like timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) said in the grand scheme of things using half a season to mold him is a pretty small amount of time. Maybe this was Pop's way of preparing him, tbh.

Man don't fall for the sniffer take. This ain't the 60-win season Spurs where you could afford to do this shit because they would blow out most teams anyway, this team literally couldn't win games cause Pop didn't play the kid

Larry O
01-06-2020, 04:58 PM
Well, let's see if this is the beginning of LW4's opportunity to be in the starting lineup from here on out in the NBA/Spurs, or if Pop had just put him in for the Bucks game due to matchup issues, plus DJ being out. We will see what happens tonight when they play part dux of this away/home back-to-back, & Murray being back in the SL. Haven't heard yet if he'll be in the starting lineup for tonight's game or not, but if he is, hopefully he will have a better game, being a home game & all, which will hopefully make him feel at ease & more comfortable. GSG!!!

Sugus
01-06-2020, 06:39 PM
Man don't fall for the sniffer take. This ain't the 60-win season Spurs where you could afford to do this shit because they would blow out most teams anyway, this team literally couldn't win games cause Pop didn't play the kid

To be fair, I see it as the exact opposite situation: Pop wouldn't take the luxury of sitting a valuable contribution piece if he had a championship contending roster, but with our current squad (where contention is laughably far away) he can take the long road on development and sit Lonnie however games he sees fit, in order to develop him as a player, since the stakes are much lower.

Of course, this all hinges on Pop having actually planned out the development cycle of Lonnie. It all seems to be going according to some sort of plan... Let's see who starts tonight and whether it was intentional. I think it's undeniable that Lonnie has another drive and intensity to his game that wasn't there the first times he played with the Spurs, especially on defense. Hoping a big performance from him tonight or next game cements his status.

RC_Drunkford
01-06-2020, 06:43 PM
To be fair, I see it as the exact opposite situation: Pop wouldn't take the luxury of sitting a valuable contribution piece if he had a championship contending roster, but with our current squad (where contention is laughably far away) he can take the long road on development and sit Lonnie however games he sees fit, in order to develop him as a player, since the stakes are much lower.

Nope, he treated Jonathon Simmons and Kyle Anderson the same exact way when they were here. It's Pop being Pop. Only this time he plays defensive black holes over Walker and the team is not as good as it used to be, so the results are a lot more extreme in a negative way. Pop never changes his approach. It's his way or the highway

raybies
01-06-2020, 06:53 PM
Tbf hate it or love he’s the best coach at developing talent. So many bad teams bust with picks consistently and it just isn’t picking talent. Spurs do a really good job at identifying talent (RC) and probably an even better job at developing it (pop). The track record speaks for itself

Dejounte
01-06-2020, 06:54 PM
Nope, he treated Jonathon Simmons and Kyle Anderson the same exact way when they were here. It's Pop being Pop. Only this time he plays defensive black holes over Walker and the team is not as good as it used to be, so the results are a lot more extreme in a negative way. Pop never changes his approach. It's his way or the highway

Just because you knew how Simmons and Anderson turned out doesnt mean at the time they didnt have any potential.... That could be the exact same reason those guys were treated the same way Lonnie is right now--because Pop was trying to see how far their talent would take them.

BD24
01-06-2020, 07:51 PM
Being wonderful will just earn him two more mpg tbh. Or maybe he starts again, but first bad game pop will pull the plug and put his pet Forbes back in

FkLA
01-06-2020, 08:04 PM
Not a chance. Pop has coached the team to a 14 - 20 record (with the roster he had a primary role in creating.) He's earned every insult.

Why did Pop leave Lonnie on the bench so long this season, and start Forbes? Because Pop is stupid.

Dont get me wrong, the record is all on him and his rotations. I'm just saying that a lot of us were legitimately concerned that he had gone senile because he couldn't see what a huge upgrade Lonnie was over Shitinelli. That he couldn't see what was so obvious to literally every other single person. In reality, I think Pop was aware of it all along. He just needed to mold Lonnie (in his own way) before handing him the keys.

I didn't like it and I don't think it was the only way to get the same end result...but if Lonnie starts from here on out and continues being a really solid two-way player then who cares. Very little harm done in the grand scheme of things, tbh.

JeffDuncan
01-06-2020, 08:12 PM
Tbf hate it or love he’s the best coach at developing talent. So many bad teams bust with picks consistently and it just isn’t picking talent. Spurs do a really good job at identifying talent (RC) and probably an even better job at developing it (pop). The track record speaks for itself

Here's the track record since 2011.

Cory Joseph
Adam Hanga
Marcus Denmon
Livio Jean-Charles
Jordan McRae
Deshaun Thomas
Kyle Anderson
Cory Jefferson
Nikola Milutinov
Cady Lalanne
Dejounte Murray
Derrick White
Jaron Blossomgame
Lonnie Walker
Chimezie Metu
Luka Samanic
Keldon Johnson
Quinndary Weatherspoon

Are we sure that PATFO's reputation is more than a myth?

RC_Drunkford
01-06-2020, 08:27 PM
Dont get me wrong, the record is all on him and his rotations. I'm just saying that a lot of us were legitimately concerned that he had gone senile because he couldn't see what a huge upgrade Lonnie was over Shitinelli. That he couldn't see what was so obvious to literally every other single person. In reality, I think Pop was aware of it all along. He just needed to mold Lonnie (in his own way) before handing him the keys.

I didn't like it and I don't think it was the only way to get the same end result...but if Lonnie starts from here on out and continues being a really solid two-way player then who cares. Very little harm done in the grand scheme of things, tbh.

He's starting Forbes, so I don't think he knows. He does what he wants to do, which is prefer scrub basketball players over superior basketball players because those scrubs listen to him. Worst coach in the NBA

Sugus
01-06-2020, 08:51 PM
Yeah fuck my previous statement, how can you start Forbes AGAIN after one bad offensive performance from Lonnie on a single game? And after the guy's first start... Lonnie's dad's tweet looks grimy now, what a "start of an era" lol

tholdren
01-06-2020, 10:11 PM
Yeah fuck my previous statement, how can you start Forbes AGAIN after one bad offensive performance from Lonnie on a single game? And after the guy's first start... Lonnie's dad's tweet looks grimy now, what a "start of an era" lol
Because he sucked then and he sucks tonight.

Dejounte
01-06-2020, 10:32 PM
Lonnie was non existent tonight

Joseph Kony
01-06-2020, 10:42 PM

Cory Joseph
Adam Hanga
Marcus Denmon
Livio Jean-Charles
Jordan McRae
Deshaun Thomas
Kyle Anderson
Cory Jefferson
Nikola Milutinov
Cady Lalanne
Dejounte Murray
Derrick White
Jaron Blossomgame
Lonnie Walker
Chimezie Metu
Luka Samanic
Keldon Johnson
Quinndary Weatherspoon

i'm going to exclude the rooks because its too early to judge them but considering the highest pick here was #18 and most of these are low 20s or 2nd rounders, 5 out of the 15 are at least / have turned out to be rotational NBA players, that is actually a pretty incredible %. especially when you consider teams like Sac and Minny who are always in the lottery and draft bust after bust

LongtimeSpursFan
01-06-2020, 10:51 PM
kawhi Leonard 2011

Cory Joseph
Adam Hanga
Marcus Denmon
Livio Jean-Charles
Jordan McRae
Deshaun Thomas
Kyle Anderson
Cory Jefferson
Nikola Milutinov
Cady Lalanne
Dejounte Murray
Derrick White
Jaron Blossomgame
Lonnie Walker
Chimezie Metu
Luka Samanic
Keldon Johnson
Quinndary Weatherspoon

gilmor
01-06-2020, 10:53 PM
Lonnie was non existent tonight

He played well enough.. but forbes really really sucks

Floyd Pacquiao
01-06-2020, 11:04 PM
Played good in the 2nd half once he got constant minutes :tu played some really nice defense and rebounded well.

XDT76
01-06-2020, 11:10 PM

Cory Joseph
Adam Hanga
Marcus Denmon
Livio Jean-Charles
Jordan McRae
Deshaun Thomas
Kyle Anderson
Cory Jefferson
Nikola Milutinov
Cady Lalanne
Dejounte Murray
Derrick White
Jaron Blossomgame
Lonnie Walker
Chimezie Metu
Luka Samanic
Keldon Johnson
Quinndary Weatherspoon

You forgot someone from the 2011 draft class

JeffDuncan
01-06-2020, 11:15 PM
kawhi Leonard 2011

I didn't want to get into all that in this thread, so I started just after him.

RC_Drunkford
01-06-2020, 11:32 PM
don't forget Bertans who we gave away for nothing so he can become a 20 point per game scorer. How many times has PATFO done that? Scola, Dragic?

BWS-1994
01-06-2020, 11:32 PM

Cory Joseph
Adam Hanga
Marcus Denmon
Livio Jean-Charles
Jordan McRae
Deshaun Thomas
Kyle Anderson
Cory Jefferson
Nikola Milutinov
Cady Lalanne
Dejounte Murray
Derrick White
Jaron Blossomgame
Lonnie Walker
Chimezie Metu
Luka Samanic
Keldon Johnson
Quinndary Weatherspoon

Wait, the Jordan Mcrae who’s scoring pretty good with the Wizards?

JeffDuncan
01-06-2020, 11:45 PM
Wait, the Jordan Mcrae who’s scoring pretty good with the Wizards?

Yep. The Spurs traded McRae on draft night for Nemanja Dangubić.

duncan2k5
01-07-2020, 07:20 AM

This isn't true

Spurtacular
01-07-2020, 07:29 AM
Tbf hate it or love he’s the best coach at developing talent.

Myth.

raybies
01-07-2020, 02:22 PM
Edgelords doubling down per par. Can’t give credit where it’s deserved if it doesn’t fit their agenda. There’s just too much to discuss but you can’t conveniently skip Kawhi getting drafted or the root... George Hill as a late first produced Kawhi... that alone is enough. That produced a championship and kept us out of the lottery for several seasons. Name teams picking with late firsts and seconds that have done better. Plz.

piece of advice to every edgelord here,... you give a man enough rope he’ll hang himself.

SpurSpike
01-07-2020, 02:31 PM

Against the leagues leading team at their home court non the less.

Pop has a history of trying new things when he faces a sure loss against the best team in the league and this time it was trying Lonnie in the starting role. I didn't expect it to last...

spurraider21
01-07-2020, 02:38 PM
2nd round picks have a very low rate of success in the NBA... so imo its unfair to pad the list like that. if you just look at first rounders, its more hits than anything. even an unheralded guy like cory joseph is playing his 9th year in the NBA, so thats a good pick given that it was the back end of the first.

livio is certainly a bust but kyle anderson, derrick white, dejounte, lonnie all look like good picks.

milutinov is a wasted one, and samanic.... well he's a ways away

JPB
01-07-2020, 03:15 PM

Cory Joseph
Adam Hanga
Marcus Denmon
Livio Jean-Charles
Jordan McRae
Deshaun Thomas
Kyle Anderson
Cory Jefferson
Nikola Milutinov
Cady Lalanne
Dejounte Murray
Derrick White
Jaron Blossomgame
Lonnie Walker
Chimezie Metu
Luka Samanic
Keldon Johnson
Quinndary Weatherspoon

I didn't want to get into all that in this thread, so I started just after him.

Yeah, sure mate... :lol

Let's start at 2011 to remove Nephew, Parker and Giniboli 3 future HOFers... And let's add the second rounders, 90% of whom don't make it or stay in the NBA... Then let's occult the fact Spurs did all that with mostly 25-30 picks and let's not compare this with others teams with similar picks to see if they did better...

Not to mention what's important isn't as much picking than developing players.

Some of you and your agenda are really funny... Guys calling people trusting or at least people giving the benefit of the doubt to a coach of Pop's experience "sniffers", before licking a kid's ass with a dozen real NBA games underhis belt and who has shown a few promising things, then stating spurs are "litterally" losing because he was playing like he was Lebron or something... :lol

JeffDuncan
01-07-2020, 04:44 PM
Yeah, sure mate... :lol

Yeah, sure, yourself, little sweetie. :lol

Kawhi Leonard wasn't drafted by the Spurs, btw. The Spurs traded for him. That properly belongs under trading ability, not drafting ability. It was a great trade, obviously.

Let's start at 2011 ...

Ok, sweetie, when do you want to start? Pick a year.

You've missed the subject. It's about the Spurs drafting and developing players.

Again, it's about whether the Spurs are especially good at drafting and developing players. That's the issue.

Look at what Raybies wrote, that I replied to, with that list.

Manu counts for drafting, in a big way, but not development. He was already a Euroleague MVP.

Timmy was a gimme. Draft him #1, and put him on the court. Nothing special about the Spurs d&d there, any team would have done the same.

Parker is more arguable for d&d, although he was already a professional player in Europe.

And let's add the second rounders, 90% of whom don't make it or stay in the NBA...

So your position is that 2nd rounders should not be considered because you take it that the Spurs d&d will always fail with them. You've got a worse view of Spurs d&d than I have.

Then let's occult the fact Spurs did all that with mostly 25-30 picks ...

Yeah, I hid that by including those picks.

You're the one who wants to hide all the 2nd rounders. Why? You scared to look at them? Afraid something there might not be good for your agenda?

... and let's not compare this with others teams with similar picks to see if they did better...

Go right ahead and compare with other teams. Nothing is stopping you, except perhaps your own ignorance and laziness.

Not to mention what's important isn't as much picking than developing players.

You finally caught on to that. You're cute, but not very swift, sweetie.

Some of you and your agenda are really funny...

Yes, you do have an agenda, obviously, and you are funny.

Guys calling people trusting or at least people giving the benefit of the doubt to a coach of Pop's experience "sniffers", before licking a kid's ass with a dozen real NBA games underhis belt and who has shown a few promising things, then stating spurs are "litterally" losing because he was playing like he was Lebron or something... :lol

What in the world are you babbling about sweetie? You lost your mind?

The issue is whether the Spurs' reputation for drafting and developing players is exaggerated.
I posted the list, post-Kawhi, for people to look at, and draw their own conclusions. Do you see something special there, compared to other teams?

Sugus
01-07-2020, 08:29 PM
Because he sucked then and he sucks tonight.

I disagree tbh, he certainly didn't play up to his scoring standard but it's a really small sample size and, for a young player looking for minutes, should not be having a lasting effect in his rotation minutes/place. In the two games that he started, I thought he was solid defensively and managed to stay within his assignments most times, whilst being aggressive on penetration and snatching rebounds. More than anything he wasn't a ballhog and, while lost at times on offensive/defensive sets, looked like a solid player learning the ropes. He has a lot of deficiencies that need ironing out, but that's what you work on in the court - I don't expect him to be putting up 28 points in the regular or any such production.

Against the leagues leading team at their home court non the less.

Pop has a history of trying new things when he faces a sure loss against the best team in the league and this time it was trying Lonnie in the starting role. I didn't expect it to last...

Yeah, Pop's coaching has been lacking in many aspects. His gameplan against the Bucks was solid though (and it'll be Milwaukee's downfall eventually); he just can't seem to let go of Forbes and giving him extended minutes. At this point I think Pop is just a believer that Forbes has that "extra gear" that certain players develop as far as scoring/ability, and is playing him in the hope that it manifets and he makes the "Curry jump". It doesn't make a lot of fucking sense, but it's the closest I've come to a reason that doesn't disrespect his mental wellbeing (though those cross the mind at times, too...).

XDT76
01-07-2020, 10:01 PM
At this moment of time, I think starting Forbes with Lonnie coming in as the 2nd team is the best for the team. There are too many players that require the ball to be effective and adding Lonnie to the SL will not be doing him service. It will make the SL having 4 players who needs to have the ball, it was similarly where Manu was moved to the 2nd team. On the 2nd team, Lonnie can have the ball in his hand more and will do his offensive development more good than bad. He can move into the SL when DDR moves next season. We had seen how bad when 2 of Fobes/Mills/Beli are when they are on court together and this cannot be avoided if Lonnie or White starts. Unless Carroll can break rotation, the current line-up seems to be the most effective. Having said that PATFO cannot be adsorbed of all responsibility as they construct a poor roster for this season.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2020, 11:00 AM
The all caps double spacing is pretty edgy tbh.

ZeusWillJudge
01-08-2020, 11:24 AM
The all caps double spacing is pretty edgy tbh.

I didn't count the syllables, since it clearly wasn't originally written in English, but I think it's a series of haiku.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-08-2020, 12:28 PM
I hope he's now a regular part of the rotation. He had the best +/- vs. the Bucks the other night. Seems to be the spark whether he's coming off the bench or starting. He just needs reps and minutes.

Sugus
01-08-2020, 01:36 PM
I wonder what play or action by Marco caused Pop to say "enough" and seemingly promote Lonnie ahead of him on the rotation. It'd be good to know so we can cheer for Forbes to do the same