PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Davis or 2003 Duncan?

JohnnyMax
01-06-2020, 11:45 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477172

Proxy
01-06-2020, 03:25 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/dP61aq98OSHaU/giphy.gif

spurs50_
01-06-2020, 04:44 PM
Duncan would kick his fragile ass...

K...
01-06-2020, 05:18 PM
The world is only getting dumber. Shaq will probably be booted from the hall of fame for his abysmal 3 point rate, the only stat that matters to new age fans

XDT76
01-06-2020, 05:29 PM
lol comparing someone who could not even regularly bring his team to PO with Duncan.

ginobilized
01-06-2020, 05:43 PM
TD with the better winning percentage, championships and huge psychological advantage.
TD could figure out how to beat everyone. Can’t teach that.

AD is perfect for this era.

phxspurfan
01-06-2020, 05:52 PM
crofl

Arcadian
01-06-2020, 06:24 PM
:lol Holy shit, some of the posts in that thread should be punishable by death...

RC_Drunkford
01-06-2020, 06:26 PM
you could make a serious case about LaMarcus Aldridge being better than AD. Prime Duncan was better than Shaq and Kobe

RC_Drunkford
01-06-2020, 06:35 PM
https://twitter.com/Dylangonzalez21/status/1214262062123245579?s=20https://twitter.com/Dylangonzalez21/status/1214262062123245579?s=20

Chillen
01-06-2020, 06:49 PM
https://twitter.com/Dylangonzalez21/status/1214262062123245579?s=20https://twitter.com/Dylangonzalez21/status/1214262062123245579?s=20

If no Spurs in picture they would have definitely got the 4peat (Spurs faced Nets that season in Finals). They still would have lost to the 2004 Pistons. 2005 Pistons would have been just as tough and 2006 Mavs would have pushed them. They would have easily beat the 2007 Cavs but by than Shaq was slowing down. 10 in a row, no way.

Spurtacular
01-07-2020, 07:16 AM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/dP61aq98OSHaU/giphy.gif

Spurtacular
01-07-2020, 07:19 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYe8B--jrbs

Thomas82
01-07-2020, 07:19 AM
What are those people thinking with those posts!?!?! :wow:lol

KobesAchilles
01-07-2020, 07:52 AM
It’s really close. A lot closer than y’all think. But if AD rings while winning Finals MVP then I gotta go with AD. Duncan had zero pressure to win. Nobody picked the Spurs to win that year. AD has had to deal with so much more pressure than Tim since day 1 of arriving in LA.

emanueldavidginobili
01-07-2020, 08:14 AM
It’s really close. A lot closer than y’all think. But if AD rings while winning Finals MVP then I gotta go with AD. Duncan had zero pressure to win. Nobody picked the Spurs to win that year. AD has had to deal with so much more pressure than Tim since day 1 of arriving in LA.
And you don't think playing with LeBron Fucking James alleviates that so called pressure? Come on what are you even talking about, this guys leading the league in assist, while spoon feeding AD.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-07-2020, 08:19 AM
People who’ve never watched 2003 Duncan, which are probably most posters even on ST, and only look at stats without context could easily delude themselves it’s even close to a comparison. Others might just troll.

Prime BEEF
01-07-2020, 08:42 AM
lol. Um no

tbdog
01-07-2020, 08:49 AM
Well I am pretty sure if TD decided to join Kobe, he would have pressure in LAL to perform. That reasoning is ridiculous.

In the first seven years of their career.
TD.
2x MVPs
2x Finals MVP
7x First Team
5x First Defense Team

AD
3x First Team
1x First Defense Team

It's no contest. Even if AD wins it all on this 8th season of his, TD won another title with Finals mvp

Mr. Body
01-07-2020, 08:51 AM
Davis isn't even on the same planet as David Robinson and Duncan was much better.

Kobe'sAchilles
01-07-2020, 08:52 AM
And you don't think playing with LeBron Fucking James alleviates that so called pressure? Come on what are you even talking about, this guys leading the league in assist, while spoon feeding AD.
O'l Groin James :lol
The only reason he's leading the league in assists is bc he has AD fool. He had never led the league in assists in his 17 year career and now he is in his first year of playing with AD? Something don't add up. Lebron doesn't play defense anymore either. AD is getting double teamed with Lebron on the floor. Just goes to show how great a year he is having.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-07-2020, 09:01 AM
if lebron converts to mormonism and misses the rest of the year while he's away in olongapo for his mission ... and AD carries LAL as the undisputed #1 on offense and defense to a LOBT, then could a discussion of this sort begin ...

emanueldavidginobili
01-07-2020, 09:30 AM
O'l Groin James :lol
The only reason he's leading the league in assists is bc he has AD fool. He had never led the league in assists in his 17 year career and now he is in his first year of playing with AD? Something don't add up. Lebron doesn't play defense anymore either. AD is getting double teamed with Lebron on the floor. Just goes to show how great a year he is having.
So you’re telling me LBJ isn’t alleviating any of that so called pressure? Without “Groin James” how far is AD bringing this team?

exstatic
01-07-2020, 09:53 AM

Are you fucking kidding me? TD won with Stephen Jackson as his second best player, and came within a whiney NJ coaches complaint of a quadruple double in the Finals. AD has a HOF player running with him, not peak, but certainly more lively and effective than 2003 60 game 20 minutes DRob.

exstatic
01-07-2020, 09:54 AM
So you’re telling me LBJ isn’t alleviating any of that so called pressure? Without “Groin James” how far is AD bringing this team?

Just look at his N.O. time. That answers the question.

Texas_Ranger
01-07-2020, 12:12 PM
Lol at anyone that thinks that soft bitch is anywhere close Duncan. Tim in his prime would win a ring with that NO team, while this unibrow faggot was crying how he wants out.

Kobe'sAchilles
01-07-2020, 12:30 PM
Lebron is coasting. Without AD Lebron was 28-29 with his LA team. They subbed out 4 players for ONE player and they started out 23-5. Get out of here with that Lebron is carrying the team nonsense. Did the Lakers make the playoffs last year? Were they the one seed with "pressure" Lebron? Did Lebron have a winning record?

AD has a sorry ass PG, a sorry ass SG, his other big man is Dwite (tranny lover) Howard. I mean anyone with eyes or objectivity can tell who is carrying this Laker team this year :lol

RC_Drunkford
01-07-2020, 12:31 PM
Bump this thread when AD gets a quadruple double in an NBA finals

Kobe'sAchilles
01-07-2020, 12:36 PM
Bump this thread when AD gets a quadruple double in an NBA finals
So in 6 months?
tbh Jim's hair isn't doing anything to help his legacy. People are gonna shit and disrespect you when you look like a cast off from Coming to America

emanueldavidginobili
01-07-2020, 12:44 PM
Lebron is coasting. Without AD Lebron was 28-29 with his LA team. They subbed out 4 players for ONE player and they started out 23-5. Get out of here with that Lebron is carrying the team nonsense. Did the Lakers make the playoffs last year? Were they the one seed with "pressure" Lebron? Did Lebron have a winning record?

AD has a sorry ass PG, a sorry ass SG, his other big man is Dwite (tranny lover) Howard. I mean anyone with eyes or objectivity can tell who is carrying this Laker team this year :lol
Again, where does AD bring this team without LBJ?

Kobe'sAchilles
01-07-2020, 12:52 PM
Again, where does AD bring this team without LBJ?
Idk. Stupid question. Where does Duncan bring a team without Pop? What if Duncan didn't have Steve Kerr on his team? I mean you can only play with what you got. THIS year AD has been dominant. I'm not saying Lebron is a bad player, but your perspective is off since
a) Lebron already wilted to the pressure of LA and missed the playoffs and had a losing record overall
b) AD is the only major change to the team that went from a losing record to the 1 seed

HarlemHeat37
01-07-2020, 01:21 PM
Idk. Stupid question. Where does Duncan bring a team without Pop? What if Duncan didn't have Steve Kerr on his team? I mean you can only play with what you got. THIS year AD has been dominant. I'm not saying Lebron is a bad player, but your perspective is off since
a) Lebron already wilted to the pressure of LA and missed the playoffs and had a losing record overall
b) AD is the only major change to the team that went from a losing record to the 1 seed

They lost by 25 points at home in the only game that Lebron missed:lol

Sugus
01-07-2020, 01:49 PM

When AD carries the Lakers to a ring with LBJ injured or otherwise badly playing, we could begin talking about this comparison. Also super disingenuous to brush off AD's mediocre career so far where Timmy has him absolutely beat - at his age Timmy had the far better career, and still carried his team to a ring and FMVP'd.

Kobe'sAchilles
01-07-2020, 03:00 PM
When AD carries the Lakers to a ring with LBJ injured or otherwise badly playing, we could begin talking about this comparison. Also super disingenuous to brush off AD's mediocre career so far where Timmy has him absolutely beat - at his age Timmy had the far better career, and still carried his team to a ring and FMVP'd.
Fair enough on the championship thing but the question was year vs year not career vs career. No shit Timmy has/d the better career. Getting after me when you don't even know how to read the question :lol

Kobe'sAchilles
01-07-2020, 03:01 PM
They lost by 25 points at home in the only game that Lebron missed:lol
Lebron lost by 25 to the Suns and the Grizzlies last year without AD :lol foh with that weak sauce

gospursgojas
01-07-2020, 03:08 PM
Disrespectful tbh

exstatic
01-07-2020, 03:28 PM
Lebron lost by 25 to the Suns and the Grizzlies last year without AD :lol foh with that weak sauce

This isn’t a thread about LeBron, though. It’s idjits saying that AD > Duncan. Everyone knows that LeBrons peak is past, but he’s better than anyone Duncan had in 2003, far better.

Gibbz
01-07-2020, 03:47 PM
AD has won 1 playoff series and was 2/7 even making the playoffs in New Orleans. Duncan would have sent him to the locker room early.

Arcadian
01-07-2020, 03:59 PM
Also, why don't we wait to see how the season ends before we even have this stupid discussion? If Davis does anything less than win Finals MVP with a quadruple double, Duncan automatically wins.

ZeusWillJudge
01-07-2020, 04:14 PM
Also, why don't we wait to see how the season ends before we even have this stupid discussion? If Davis does anything less than win Finals MVP with a quadruple double, Duncan automatically wins.

You saved me the trouble. AD should be somewhere around his prime. Put a prime Duncan onto this Laker team, instead of Davis, and they're hoisting the LOB. If AD doesn't ring this season, the question is dead forever.

RC_Drunkford
01-07-2020, 05:23 PM
So in 6 months?
tbh Jim's hair isn't doing anything to help his legacy. People are gonna shit and disrespect you when you look like a cast off from Coming to America

I guarantee you AD will never ever get a stat line like this in the finals if he even gets there once in his career. He can't even get that stat line in the regular season

RC_Drunkford
01-07-2020, 05:25 PM
Idk. Stupid question. Where does Duncan bring a team without Pop?

Seriously? After watching this season you really try to make that case? Senilovich? Really?

TD 21
01-07-2020, 05:36 PM
:lmao At these idiots thinking this is even a debate, with their usual counting stats without context and "Duncan had Pop and his system" nonsense.

spurspl
01-07-2020, 05:45 PM
imho

1v1 game - davis

2020lakers vs 2003spurs - spurs

Sugus
01-07-2020, 08:43 PM
Fair enough on the championship thing but the question was year vs year not career vs career. No shit Timmy has/d the better career. Getting after me when you don't even know how to read the question :lol

I know what the question was - and answered it. AD hasn't yet had a comparable season to Timmy's 2003 run. I don't give a shit about regular season marks, the best metric for this comparison is the postseason and, while the jury is still out for Davis, it's a very tall order to surpass that '03 run.

I was curious about the stats (not that they paint an absolute picture, especially in this era) and came across an interesting article;

"[...] the San Antonio Spurs vs New Jersey Nets series. A series which lasted six games with only one team ever breaking the 100 point mark. A series which saw both teams score a combined 153 points in Game 4, with neither team breaking the 80-point mark.

But what most people missed out on during this series were a few monster fantasy games from Tim Duncan. In Game 1, the GOAT power forward had 32 points (13 in the 4th), 20 rebounds, 7 blocks, 6 assists and 3 steals while shooting 65%. He followed that game up with four impressive double-doubles and then finished off the Nets in Game 6 with a near quadruple-double: 21 points, 20 rebounds, 10 assists and 8 blocks."

There's still a chance that Davis has such a succesful playoff title run that it surpass '03, but with LeBron sharing the scoring load (and AD's tendency to have a fragile body plagued with injury) I just don't see AD putting up the performances, not to mention how much more impressive Tim's stats are considering the low scoring of the games... and obviously, anything short of a title for the Lakers this season would be a non-starter.

As I said - when AD carries the Lakers to a ring with LBJ injured or otherwise badly playing, we could begin talking about this seriously.

TDMVPDPOY
01-07-2020, 09:09 PM
AD plays in a weak era of bigs, all he does is put up empty stats

daslicer
01-07-2020, 10:14 PM
One thing that always annoys me when Duncan is compared to other bigs such as AD or even a temporary like KG is how people ignore one of his biggest strengths which is his back to the basket game. Duncan's ability to post up back to the basket is a rare skill set that very few bigs have paired with his elite footwork made him unguardeable 1 on 1. Go watch some of Duncan's old games and watch how it only takes him literally 1 second in most cases to back down a defender and score and at most only 2 seconds. There isn't a big man currently in the league that can post up like Duncan can including Davis. Davis is a player who relies heavily on facing up and shooting jump shots along with driving to the basket for a layup or dunk. His game is more similar to David Robinson than it is Duncan.

SpurPadre
01-07-2020, 10:41 PM
2020 Davis or 2020 Davis Bertans is the more appropriate debate, tbh.

tholdren
01-07-2020, 11:04 PM
The world is only getting dumber. Shaq will probably be booted from the hall of fame for his abysmal 3 point rate, the only stat that matters to new age fans
Stats>wins

tholdren
01-07-2020, 11:09 PM

Just shows how dumb lechoke is as a player. In today's nba you literally have people drafted because of instagram hype. Lebron is so overhyped he has to collude to win because he's scared to drive to the rim. Kyrie and ray Allen saved his legacy

Spurtacular
01-08-2020, 04:30 AM
One thing that always annoys me when Duncan is compared to other bigs such as AD or even a temporary like KG is how people ignore one of his biggest strengths which is his back to the basket game. Duncan's ability to post up back to the basket is a rare skill set that very few bigs have paired with his elite footwork made him unguardeable 1 on 1. Go watch some of Duncan's old games and watch how it only takes him literally 1 second in most cases to back down a defender and score and at most only 2 seconds. There isn't a big man currently in the league that can post up like Duncan can including Davis. Davis is a player who relies heavily on facing up and shooting jump shots along with driving to the basket for a layup or dunk. His game is more similar to David Robinson than it is Duncan.

Yup. Right up there with Kevin McHale, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley. Man, no player outside of Duncan in the last fifteen years comes to mind as having a great low post game.