By BRODERICK TURNER
THE PRESS-ENTERPRISE

Robert Horry was offered a two-year deal by the San Antonio
Spurs on Monday. He will decide this week if he'll accept
it.

Horry said the first season is for $5 million and the Spurs
have the option on the second. Horry had been seeking a
long-term deal in the three-year range.

"I'll probably take that," Horry said over the phone.

Horry, a 6-foot-10 forward, has been one of the more popular
Lakers and one of their best clutch performers. But after
the Lakers were knocked out of the playoffs by the Spurs and
Horry had the worst postseason of his career, LA didn't
pick up his $5.3 million contract for next season.

Horry's representative, Robert Bahr, said he told Lakers
general manager Mitch Kupchak on Monday that the Spurs were
interested in signing Horry.

"We haven't closed the door on Robert," Kupchak said over
the phone. "We need help in the frontcourt. We'd like to
figure it out sooner vs. later. He could help them. He could
help us."

Horry admitted he still has interest in the Lakers but isn't
sure if the team he spent 6 1/2 seasons with and won three
NBA championships feels the same.

"I figured if they really wanted to do something, they would
have done something," Horry said. "If I've got to move on,
I got to go."

Horry said the Spurs have a very good team and are just a
three-hour drive from his Houston home, 45 minutes by plane.

He said he likes how Tim Duncan, the NBA's back-to-back MVP,
plays and how the other players play around Duncan.

"They win," Horry said. "They keep it really simple."

Horry said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich called him Monday and
talked about Horry's defense.

"I talked to Pop, and he said they looked at film and that
they liked the way I defended Tim," Horry said. "I was
thinking, 'That's why Tim changed up his game on me in the
playoffs and went off like that.' "

Horry is regarded as one of the best clutch shooters in NBA
postseason history. He'll go down in Lakers lore for his
last-second three-pointer against the Sacramento Kings in
Game 4 of the 2002 Western Conference finals that gave Los
Angeles the win and a 2-2 series tie.

But Horry struggled in the 2003 playoffs. He made just 31.9
percent of his shots and .053 percent of his three-pointers.
He missed all 18 three-point attempts against the Spurs in
the Western Conference semifinals. He almost changed the
Lakers' fortunes in Game 5, but his last-second
three-pointer went deep into the rim and rattled out.

Now he may join those same Spurs.

"Me and my wife (Keva) are going to go to dinner and
decide," Horry said. "She'll probably like San Antonio
because it's close to Houston."

www.pe.com/sports/lakers/...58065.html (http://www.pe.com/sports/lakers/stories/PE_SP_nl22.58065.html)

2Cleva
07-22-2003, 10:42 AM
Treat him well if he signs.

TheCat5
07-22-2003, 10:44 AM
5 million? I still want him on the team, but he is a little pricier than I expected. Regardless, if it's for one year, I definitely want him on the team.

CoachTF
07-22-2003, 10:50 AM
Horry would fit in nice on this team. He is a better team guy then people give him credit for. He would really round out that bench. Horry, Willis, Kerr, Malik, Manu, maybe Pike? Nice!

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 10:50 AM
Good deal. This is essentially a one year deal with the Spurs holding the option to bring him back if he works out. I thought he could go around $6-7 mil on an inflated one year deal.

Sounds like this will be done shortly.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 10:57 AM
Well, we just got the black version of Danny Ferry for $4 million more.

Terrific.

:cooldevil

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-22-2003, 10:58 AM
But Horry struggled in the 2003 playoffs. He made just 31.9
percent of his shots and .053 percent of his three-pointers.
He missed all 18 three-point attempts against the Spurs in
the Western Conference semifinals. He almost changed the
Lakers' fortunes in Game 5, but his last-second
three-pointer went deep into the rim and rattled out.

hehehe

can we deduct the down payment we gave him for joining the Spurs before that series?...:lol

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 10:58 AM
Go grab a cup of coffee.

TheCat5
07-22-2003, 11:00 AM
If Ferry played strong post defense and had a reputation for hitting some of the biggest shots in NBA history, yes. Horry will be worth it come the postseason.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 11:02 AM
Horry is/was clutch and plays better post defense than Ferry. Getting him on our team is sort of like addition by subtraction, because he always hurt us in the past.

But $5 million is a lot for a guy who absolutely sucked last playoffs.

I would've thrown that money at Speedy.

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 11:04 AM
:rolleyes

Horry also played heavy minutes last season. In SA he'll be the 4th big, not a starter thanks to someone's big toe.

Horry != Ferry

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 11:08 AM
So why pay a guy $5 million to be our backup's backup?

Question.

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 11:09 AM
No, you pay $5 mil to add a player with Horry's experience and keep him from returning back to LA for nothing. Why not add a player like Horry to your team? Don't you want to win?

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 11:17 AM
I already mentioned the addition by subtraction part.

Does LA even want Horry back?

If he's gonna miss everything like he did last playoffs, they can keep his @ss.

I could see $5 million being put towards more pressing needs, like um, a backup point guard rather than a backup backup big man.

I think if we get Horry, Rose is gone.

MannyIsGod
07-22-2003, 11:18 AM
Its a one to two year inflated deal, who cares how much we pay him, it really doesn't hurt us cap wise.

I honestly dont' think speedy wants to back up tony, tahts the reason he's leaving, not money reasons.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 11:21 AM
You don't pay a guy like Horry $5 million to play 10 minutes a night like Ferry.

Rose must be moved if we're gonna overpay for Horry.

We need to sign a backup PG for krissakes. Parker's not the superstar everyone thinks he is, as evidenced by the Finals. You don't want Anthony Goldwire trying to bail his @ss out in a big spot.

Solid D
07-22-2003, 11:22 AM
It sounds like Horry and his agent are telling the Lakers..."I'm going now, I've got my suitcase in my hand and I'm turning the doorknob and I'm... (looking back to see if anyone is going to stop them)

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Let's hope he's stopped. That is, unless we plan on paying him $5 million to take Rose's spot in the rotation and Mr. Sprewell is coming aboard.

Walton Buys Off Me
07-22-2003, 11:30 AM
I agree with Solid D; this whole thing seems fishy- if Horry wanted to come then come right out and say it. His attitude in this whole process leaves a little to be desired IMO. Robert Horry is a better guy to have than Danny Ferry, no questions asked but is no superstar that we should be be catering to.

I think the Spurs would be dumb to dump Rose for a guy that clearly can't handle more than 25 minutes a night...if indeed that's what they're thinking. Then again, if they're keeping Rose and signing Horry, then paying Robert the 5 mil/year is beyond foolish.

This whole scenario has yet to play out I think.

bigzak25
07-22-2003, 11:31 AM
if you want horry, you offer more than the midlevel to keep him away from teams like dallas and such. is it a bit much...sure...but it's time to fill out the roster. i'm sure backup point is a high priority man. and if they get pike that's awesome.

i too would have like to keep speedy and feel that speedy would mean more to this team then horry, BUT apparently speedy wants to move on. so Thanks speedy. good luck.

malik should not be traded. if they can get a superstar, i'll change my mind.

genghisrex
07-22-2003, 11:36 AM
Paying Horry $5 million is not "foolish." Robert is looking for a multi-year deal, but the Spurs only want to commit to him for one (which would help leave cap space available next summer to re-sign Manu). In order to grab Big Shot Rob for a year, we have to overpay. Besides, the Spurs are sitting on $12 million or so of cap space right now. Take the Horry offer out, and we still have $7 million, which should be enough to add a solid back-up PG and probably Pike as well.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 11:39 AM
ghenghis you know d@mn well Horry is not worth $5 million to play 10 minutes a night.

We need a backup PG.

Make a play for Odom if we're gonna throw around money.

C'mon.

MI21
07-22-2003, 11:40 AM
Weren't we paying Danny Ferry $4.5 Mill this last season to play the Danny Ferry role?

I can remember all the fuss about what he was actually making.

genghisrex
07-22-2003, 11:46 AM
Ghost, I know damn well that we're not going to get a player of Horry's caliber to sign for only one-year unless we overpay. We're in a position to overpay him and still fill out our other roster needs so why not go ahead and add a guy who could very well win a playoff series for us?

The Spurs obviously aren't interested in Odom. That's old news.

MannyIsGod
07-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Ghost, the point is it doen'st matter what we pay him because ti doesn't hurt our cap situation!!! We have more than enough to go sign a backup point guard as well.

It's a short term inflated deal.

I don't understand why you complain about this.

ducks
07-22-2003, 11:51 AM
what are you going to do with the the extra cap room Ghost?

You are taking horry away from the lakers. sure you are paying him to much but still you only have him one year. but atleast you get someone.

From Way Downtown
07-22-2003, 11:53 AM
Yeah, Ferry made huge money last year -- this offer amounts to a cost of living increase for a player to fill that role. Bringing in Horry also doesn't mean that Rose has to go anywhere -- after all, Danny Ferry and Malik Rose have co-existed for years.

Ghost -- while I agree that back-up PG should be a priority, I don't think you can just say "throw that money at Speedy," and assume it will make the difference. What Speedy seems most interested in is a starting opportunity. He isn't going to get that in SA.

Speedy also wants multiple years at good money. It makes sense to me to offer what is essentially a one-year deal (second year reported to be team option) to Horry at $5 million if the other option is to overpay Speedy Claxton for 3-5 years. As nice as Claxton was at times in the Finals, he was so brutally overmatched, for example, in Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals (when Parker was sick and Speedy got big minutes) that Pop had no choice to run Kerr out on the floor!!! I'd hardly call that a ringing endorsement to seriously overpay for a guy.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 11:55 AM
Um, Danny Ferry made $1,030,000 last year.

Horry made $5,300,000 last year.

Next.

MannyIsGod
07-22-2003, 11:57 AM
Why do you not want to pay this much for Horry?

All things being equal, what does it matter if we overpay Horry?

scott
07-22-2003, 11:58 AM
Weren't we paying Danny Ferry $4.5 Mill this last season to play the Danny Ferry role?

This is exactly what I was thinking.

MI21
07-22-2003, 11:58 AM
Ferry was payed 4.5 Million.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 12:00 PM
MI, did Ferry get a bonus? I checked last year's salary and it said $1,030,000 for Ferry.

Even still, I wasn't a fan of Ferry, either. We're talking about 10 minutes a night, people.

Solid D
07-22-2003, 12:03 PM
Horry is a 3/4, not a 4/5. Don't forget that Horry played the 3 throughout much of his career. The Lakers asked him to bulk up to play the 4 more in their scheme. Based on matchups, he can guard the bigger 3s but not the smaller, quicker 3s.

The Spurs need a backup 3 and a backup 1. That's what I see Pop doing with this offer...filling the backup 3 role and he effectively upgrades Danny Ferry. It's a higher price to pay but he may be worth it when matching up against the Spurs #1 nemesis that just got stronger in the frontcourt.

Fizzzar
07-22-2003, 12:04 PM
No, we are talking about the 3 pointer that can give you a ring. And I'm happy they overpayed to get that.

If not for Horry, the Lakers wouldn't have beaten the Kings in 2002. We need that.

MI21
07-22-2003, 12:09 PM
MI, did Ferry get a bonus? I checked last year's salary and it said $1,030,000 for Ferry.

To be honest, I dont know why he got paid that much. All the salary sites list him at your amount, but in reality he was paid 4.5 Mill.

Your better off asking Base or Genghis they will probably know why he got paid that much.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 12:10 PM
Figures, "Jazzhoops.com" had the wrong salary for Ferry last year. I went to USAToday.com and got it right.

Fizaaaar, Horry hasn't made a 3-pointer in the playoffs since 2001-02.

Next.

Fizzzar
07-22-2003, 12:14 PM
Ghost, Horry played too many mins in the season and was done by the playoffs, you are twisting the facts.

Horry has always been clutch and will be clutch again in the Spurs where his mis will be monitored and he will have his legs fresh come playoff time.

scott
07-22-2003, 12:15 PM
How much should we pay Horry then (if anything), Ghost- and what should we do with that capspace instead?

Solid D
07-22-2003, 12:16 PM
Last years 3s for the Spurs:
Bowen
Jackson
Ginobili
Smitty
Ferry

2003-04 3s for the Spurs
Scenario 1: add Horry, delete Smitty & Ferry

Bowen
Jackson
Ginobili
Horry

2003-04 3s for the Spurs
Scenario 2: Spree replaces Jack, add Horry, delete Smitty & Ferry:

Bowen
Sprewell
Ginobili
Horry

TwoHandJam
07-22-2003, 12:22 PM
Ghost, Horry played too many mins in the season and was done by the playoffs, you are twisting the facts.

Horry has always been clutch and will be clutch again in the Spurs where his mis will be monitored and he will have his legs fresh come playoff time.

Not only that but I believe he had a wrist injury at the time that was not well publicized. I'm fairly sure I saw this on a Laker board somewhere. It jives with his "sheer cliff" drop off in productivity. Players' averages generally don't plummet that drastically without a reason, especially at Horry's age.

2Cleva
07-22-2003, 12:22 PM
As a Laker fan, it would be tough to see Rob in SA. He brings all the intangibles that a team needs. And he'll always be remembered as Big Shot Rob but his decline last year was predictable. He's been getting slower every year. He did have a lot of nagging injuries (hand, knee) that just wouldn't completely heal. Saying that, I'd still want him back in LA. He has a calming effect on a team because he never gets too up or down at anything, But i didn't want him at the 5.3 option LA had. 2 or 3 mil a year is about right.

Just as a warning, especially during the regular season, Rob tends to wander. Does stupid things on the court, etc... just because he doesn't get motivated. One thing that has been the key to SA's success is that everyone goes all out - no matter what time of the season it is. Horry doesn't do that at all.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Um, Danny Ferry made $1,030,000 last year.

+ 3.5 million

NEWSFLASH GHost: we have 6 players under contract. It's time to start filling out the bench.

I don't like this though, it sounds as though he's looking for an offer from LA :(

AHF

TwoHandJam
07-22-2003, 12:28 PM
Just as a warning, especially during the regular season, Rob tends to wander. Does stupid things on the court, etc... just because he doesn't get motivated. One thing that has been the key to SA's success is that everyone goes all out - no matter what time of the season it is. Horry doesn't do that at all. I've seen his tendency to do this but I think this is because he had become too comfortable in LA. I doubt that he wouldn't be focused in his first year on a new team. You have to prove yourself to stay in the rotation and I think Rob would have a lot to prove both to himself and his team after last year's debacle.

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 12:30 PM
He'd have $5.5 million reasons to do well next season.

gospurs21
07-22-2003, 12:34 PM
GW is against signing aging big name (I didn't want to say star) FA. Who would have guessed it. I did read all of the thread dipshit...this was my conclusion (for below).

GW,
While I agree it would be nice to throw 5M at Speedy to keep him, I believe he will go for a little more and a starting position for a 3 year deal. Based upon his china doll past, that's kinda lot of money to tie up for 3 years. I think the only reason Speedy will not be back is he wants to start.

Go Spurs...

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 12:37 PM
Try reading the rest of the thread, smartass.

Aggie, welcome to the conversation. Now try giving a unique perspective.

I hope LA retains Horry for more than $5 million. They paid him $5,300,000 last year and he sucked.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 12:38 PM
Try reading the rest of the thread, smartass.

Aggie, welcome to the conversation. Now try giving a unique perspective.

I hope LA retains Horry for more than $5 million. They paid him $5,300,000 last year and he sucked.

P,S,

Don't talk to me about "Filling Out the Bench". I started a big thread about that already, son.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-22-2003, 12:40 PM
Well it's great you already started one, doesn't change the fact that Horry is one of the best available out there when we're looking to do that.

AHF

MannyIsGod
07-22-2003, 12:43 PM
I don't think LA can offer him that much can they?

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 12:44 PM
Here you go, Aggie:

pub237.ezboard.com/ffulls...4145.topic (http://pub237.ezboard.com/ffullsportpressfrm7.showMessage?topicID=4145.topic )

I don't think Horry is worth $5 million at this point in his career and I am not crazy about paying that much to a guy to play 10 minutes a night.

That opinion won't be changed, so let's just move on.

A trade for talent sure would be nice instead of blowing money on a has-been.

P.S.

gospurs, please don't confuse Horry with anything remotely close to a "star". At his best, Horry was not a star.

scott
07-22-2003, 12:46 PM
Since it got hidden in the last page, I'll ask again:

Ghost, how much (if anything) do you think we should pay Horry. What should we do with the capspace Horry would cost?

bigzak25
07-22-2003, 12:52 PM
a trade for talent....

didn't the spurs look to trade for talent all of last week, thus the reasoning behind telling horry to wait til monday.

i think the FO has a plan, and it might change on a day to day basis. but I won't bitch every step of the way.

if at the end of the day(offseason), the spurs still don't have a backup point. another quality shooter, especially if jax walks...where he would go i have no idea....then i'll say what's up with that....until then....

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 12:57 PM
I would offer Horry like $2 million.

My first priority would still be to get Odom.

Then I would work on retaining Claxton.

Like I said before, if we're gonna pay Horry that much, make him our primary frontcourt backup and trade Rose or Bowen to get Sprewell.

I want an overall talent upgrade and a backup PG before we go throwing all kinds of money at crap bench players.

"Crap" is strong for Horry, but his best days are clearly behind him.

2Cleva
07-22-2003, 12:59 PM
Manny - LA still has Bird rights on Horry. They can offer him as much as they want.

SpursFanInAustin
07-22-2003, 01:02 PM
Yeah 2Cleva, but are they willing to pay him more money to add more payroll to an already capped out team. I thought Jerry Buss didn't want to pay a lot, if any on the luxury taxes.

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 01:04 PM
LA didn't take the option on Horry because of Lux Tax concerns. But yes, they do still have his Bird Rights. You are not going to get Horry on the cheap.

There isn't much of a reason to bitch about $5 mil for one season. But no doubt that Ghost will use it to cry like a baby today.

gospurs21
07-22-2003, 01:05 PM
GW,
where in my post do I say that I want Horry for 5M? I agree with you that he is washed up. I never said he was a star either. He is however a big name (aging FA), because he hit clutch shots for both houston and la.

you are the one who needs better reading comprehension.

I would love to bring Speedy back, but I am a realist and don't think it will happen.

Odem would be nice if he didn't have a dope problem. Because of this he is not and option. Deal with it

I am surprised that you are not selling Spree for Malik or Jackson though.

I thought that since Horry was released from his contract, team did not pick up next season's option, that la gave up his bird rigths?

Go Spurs...

MannyIsGod
07-22-2003, 01:05 PM
I thought they lost bird rights when they didn't pick up his optoin?

scott
07-22-2003, 01:14 PM
The idea of making Horry our primary big doesn't make me at all excited. Rose >>>>>>>> Horry as far as backup 4s go.

It looks like the Spurs are no longer interested in Odom due to character concerns, and ALSPURS posted at another site that he spoke with Speedy at Six Flags in NJ a few weeks ago and Speedy said it looks like he won't be a Spur.

T Park Num 9
07-22-2003, 01:15 PM
Lamar Odom?

Why sign a guy for big money thats only gonna play 20 games because of drug problems and injuries.

No thanks.

Speedy is gone, get over it. DEAL WITH IT!

He doesnt want to be a back up point anymore!

Signing Horry would be HUGE!

I like Bob coming off the bench.

Solid LOW POST scorer, still a good defender, will get his shot back after resting this offseason, GREAT rebounder still.

He showed in the Spurs series that if he can get some rest, that he can STILL be a good player.

This signing would be a Cou.

But I dont like how he might be trying to get more money from the Lakers.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 01:23 PM
I am open to a Sprewell trade.

Horry is done and is not worth $5 million.

T Park Num 9
07-22-2003, 01:26 PM
He is not done.

Sheesh.

He played wayyyy too many minutes in the regular season, he had nothing left in the tank.

He still has a great shot and is a solid rebounder and defender.

ChumpDumper
07-22-2003, 01:31 PM
Yeah, I wanted to go after Odom, but that looks a bit less likely now that Arenas looks to be going to the Wiz. We'd get in a bidding war with Miami anyway and lose just like we did with Brand.

Even if we do pay Horry $5 million we still have a crapwad of money to overpay Claxton.

And yes, we did pay Ferry $4.5 million last year as a thank you for taking the pay cut for the minimum the year before.

We'd be thanking Horry up front.

KoriEllis
07-22-2003, 01:32 PM
If a player is asking for a 3-4 year deal and will accept $2-3M/year for the duration ... and you only want to give him a one-year deal (which is basically what a 2-year with 2nd yr team option is) then you have to offer him more money.

That's the concept of a one-year inflated deal.

It's the same thing that we were trying to do with Pippen. Pippen refused -- wanted more guaranteed years. This is what we are doing with Horry -- $5M for one year isn't that bad.

You can't just look at his bad playoffs and write him off as "done". He was overplayed by the Lakers during the season and by postseason time was worn out. He'd be a solid contributor off the bench in limited minutes for the Spurs.

Sign him up.

In regard to Odom, the Spurs explored it. They did background checks, they sent someone out to interview him ... and it appears they decided that he wasn't worth the risk.

SpursFanInAustin
07-22-2003, 01:37 PM
Lamar Odom is the next Roy Tarpley.

Shaq H8ter
07-22-2003, 05:35 PM
I think if the Spurs secure Horry for 2 years they may move Malik soon after.
Perhaps a Malik and Jax S&T for Spree with 2 years left.

It seems that the Spurs real focus is 2 years ahead.
When the greatest small forward out there is a free agent.

No not Dirk dumbass!

I think they're eyeballing TMAC, since Spurs seem fixated on a 2 year time line.

That would fit since they really seem like they don't want to commit to the Small Forward spot. Come on they pass on Odem and drag on with Jax.... hmmmm.

With Bowen, Manu and Horry at SF and Manu and Spree at SG you would still be sitting pretty.

I mean where will TMAC want to be if he's still killing himself to get a ring and Grant Hill's still sitting back slamming pills cause his ankle hurts.

Gridmed
07-22-2003, 07:52 PM
:depressed
Why oh why must it be Horry. I wish there was some other half-way washed up veteran we could overpay for a year to play the 3/4/(?)5 position. I've watched Horry for many years and he doesn't fit in well with the M.O. of the spurs. He is often lazy, and is one of the worst for sportmanship I very honestly have ever seen in the NBA. (And I watched the Pistons in their prime!) Did no one see what he did to DRob and Rose last year in the playoffs and regular season with cheap shots, etc? I have watched the spurs for >20 years and have always been a huge fan, but I will have to cringe every time I see that moron step his foot onto our sacred (albeit new) court. If only there was some way we could pay him $2 million to go live in Iraq for a year I'd be content. :angel

I realize he may add a small contribution to the team, but for the cost of his personality and attitude I can't justify the signing. :depressed

-G

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Ghost,

>I would offer Horry like $2 million.

LA can match that easy.

> My first priority would still be to get Odom.

What part of the "Clips are finalizing a 5 year contract extension with forward Lamar Odom" don't you comprehend?

And you wanted to trade for Spree today? Yesterday you said he was too old. Good lord man, talk about being all over the map...

AHF

TheCat5
07-22-2003, 09:12 PM
Kori, any update today regarding Horry? If Horry drags this out and turns the Spurs down and more opportunities are lost, I don't know what to do. I wish we could officially get him on the dotted line so we can move on and figure out what to do next...

KoriEllis
07-22-2003, 09:24 PM
Kori, any update today regarding Horry?

I haven't talked to anyone this afternoon. Let me see if I can find out anything.

TheCat5
07-22-2003, 09:24 PM
Thanks, Kori.