PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Bucks - Jan. 6, 2020

timvp
01-07-2020, 06:36 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-milwaukee-bucks-january-6-2020/

tl;dr: The Spurs blew out the best team in the league :wow

duncan2k5
01-07-2020, 06:51 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-milwaukee-bucks-january-6-2020/

tl;dr: The Spurs blew out the best team in the league :wow

Nothing to see here ...we were thrashed by bad teams in our championship years...all this does is gives us a false sense of hope that we can contend...we need to make some serious trades ASAP

Fireball
01-07-2020, 07:50 AM
Pop really seems to have certain opponents (with great players like Harden and Giannis) where he develops a game plan. But as noticed this team also needs a game plan against ALL teams as the Spurs are just average themeselves.

benefactor
01-07-2020, 08:57 AM
N:crything t:cry see here ...we were thrashed by bad teams in :cryur champi:crynship years...all this d:cryes is gives us a false sense :cryf h:crype that we can c:cryntend...we need t:cry make s:cryme seri:cryus trades ASAP

John B
01-07-2020, 09:23 AM
Thanks Timvp. I think a B for Forbes is too high, and C+ for Lyles is too low. Lyles got 12 rebounds with 3 offensive, helped defend the paint and converted 2 3 pointers. Forbes couldn’t hit his shots except for one lucky 4 point play, was lucky Middleton/Matthews didn’t lit up as much because Forbes was again overmatched. For Forbes to warrant a B, he needs to hit his open 3’s and score in the teens, not 6 points. I don’t know why Pop cannot see the value of Lonnie’s plays the difference maker. Yes LMA was great hitting his shots, Demar picking his opponents. But those you expect from your star players, and have done so in the past with a lost. This time Spurs win because of no Marco/Mills/Forbes combination that gives back the lead. I like that Pop kept Lonnie in the 4th, but had the Bucks run away in the 1st as they almost did with Forbes in the lineup, it would’ve been once again a losing effort. Keep Lonnie in the starting to establish defense and physicality, and use Bryn wisely, sparingly for catch and shoot play. Maybe Forbes would value his time more and earn those minutes by practicing his shots and taking timely charge. I’m glad to see Carroll, but boy he looked lost. But Spurs need his size and outside shooting and would only benefit from playing.
Seriously I think Spurs can play competitive bball every game. But first need to commit to playing D. I think Lonnie electrifies his team mate and put a good body on bigs on switches. I hope Pop continue to use him.

Keepin' it real
01-07-2020, 09:29 AM
Season-defining win. Next stop: the Finals!!!

JeffDuncan
01-07-2020, 10:02 AM
In the last month, since December 6 (13 games) Aldridge is 23 of 43 on 3pt shots. LaMarcus Curry.

Thanks for the grades, timvp.

Y'know, when DDR just plays ball, and isn't acting the role of Miss Hissy Prissy, he really is an excellent player.

7 assists for DDR, all for 3 pointers. This is after that Pistons game, on December 28, where he had the 8 assists, all for 3 pointers. When guys are hitting their shots, that is one deadly offense.

BD24
01-07-2020, 10:39 AM
Now if we could just get that faggot forbes out of the SL things would be trending nicely. DJ, Lonnie, DD, Lyles, LMA starting lineup sounds pretty damn nice. Or honestly with LMAs improved three ball you could maybe look at reinserting Poodle into the SL and sliding LMA to the 4. Regardless the main point here is get that POS Brynn out of the SL

BillMc
01-07-2020, 10:53 AM
Thanks as always for the grades OP!

itzsoweezee
01-07-2020, 11:18 AM
Forbes continued to suck

dbestpro
01-07-2020, 11:22 AM
Fools gold as long as Forbes gets more than 20 minutes per game.

ZeusWillJudge
01-07-2020, 11:27 AM
This was the first game of the season where I felt like Pop actually coached. There was clearly a gameplan for the Bucks, and the players clearly knew it. That's different from tossing a bunch of players on the floor game after game, and it showed. Pop and the FO have done some dumb things for several years, and he has been disengaged during games. In short, he's been bad. But however bad he's been, he was good before. And if he can get back to that, I'll quit bitching about him. I don't want blood... I want the Spurs to have a good coach.

Everything is helped by hitting shots - especially 3P shots. But it helps a lot that the Spurs shot 35 of them last night, as opposed to the 27 they had averaged for the rest of the season. They hit the defensive glass like they were actually interested. Those are fundamental changes - changes in approach. And that comes from the coach. Hopefully he'll reduce Forbes' role in the future. But if he puts Forbes on the floor with Beli ever again? You'll have a hard time convincing me that last night was anything but a fluke.

Lyles is hesitant on offense, but committed to defense and rebounding. If you had said that before the season started, no one would have believed it. I, for one, and very confident that he will be capable of picking up his offensive contributions.

Lonnie has a problem finishing when he drives hard to the bucket and can't get home with a dunk. He doesn't know how to deaden a shot, and he's long almost every single time. He's going to have to learn that to take the next step in his own offensive development. BUT... his athleticism, his ability to get deep into the paint, collapses defenses. He has to be respected and by and large one defender isn't keeping him from throwing it down. He's failing to finish at times, but his presence is getting other people open looks. Those ugly misses from close are spectacular and obvious, and his contributions to the overall offense aren't as obvious (to many). But he earns his minutes, and more. The biggest evidence of that is the results that the team gets (most of the time) when he hits the floor.

dbestpro
01-07-2020, 11:35 AM
Its called collateral profusion. It happens in older people with organic brain syndrome. They basically will get an occasional burst of re profusion to an area of their brain that they are not using much anymore. It only lasts for a little while so you can expect things to back to the way they were with Pop very soon.

FkLA
01-07-2020, 11:39 AM
Now if we could just get that faggot forbes out of the SL things would be trending nicely. DJ, Lonnie, DD, Lyles, LMA starting lineup sounds pretty damn nice. Or honestly with LMAs improved three ball you could maybe look at reinserting Poodle into the SL and sliding LMA to the 4. Regardless the main point here is get that POS Brynn out of the SL

I hate that fucking charity case so much.

XDT76
01-07-2020, 11:41 AM
This was the first game of the season where I felt like Pop actually coached. There was clearly a gameplan for the Bucks, and the players clearly knew it. That's different from tossing a bunch of players on the floor game after game, and it showed. Pop and the FO have done some dumb things for several years, and he has been disengaged during games. In short, he's been bad. But however bad he's been, he was good before. And if he can get back to that, I'll quit bitching about him. I don't want blood... I want the Spurs to have a good coach.

Everything is helped by hitting shots - especially 3P shots. But it helps a lot that the Spurs shot 35 of them last night, as opposed to the 27 they had averaged for the rest of the season. They hit the defensive glass like they were actually interested. Those are fundamental changes - changes in approach. And that comes from the coach. Hopefully he'll reduce Forbes' role in the future. But if he puts Forbes on the floor with Beli ever again? You'll have a hard time convincing me that last night was anything but a fluke.

Lyles is hesitant on offense, but committed to defense and rebounding. If you had said that before the season started, no one would have believed it. I, for one, and very confident that he will be capable of picking up his offensive contributions.

Lonnie has a problem finishing when he drives hard to the bucket and can't get home with a dunk. He doesn't know how to deaden a shot, and he's long almost every single time. He's going to have to learn that to take the next step in his own offensive development. BUT... his athleticism, his ability to get deep into the paint, collapses defenses. He has to be respected and by and large one defender isn't keeping him from throwing it down. He's failing to finish at times, but his presence is getting other people open looks. Those ugly misses from close are spectacular and obvious, and his contributions to the overall offense aren't as obvious (to many). But he earns his minutes, and more. The biggest evidence of that is the results that the team gets (most of the time) when he hits the floor.

I think Lonnie, Murray and White need to slow down at the rim like a up and under a euro step or a hesitation move to throw off the defender and create some space. Currently, they just dive to the rim and to avoid being block they rush their layup too much or with too much momentum causing them to have a lower fg% than expected.

XDT76
01-07-2020, 11:43 AM

The main issue with Forbes out of SL is that our 2nd team would then be so bad on defence that we will cough up whatever lead the SL can managed and more. 2 of Mills/Forbes/Beli will be on the floor at the same time.

Kobe'sAchilles
01-07-2020, 12:34 PM
Timvp, Sad to see how far a curve you have given Forbes. You just gave the man a B bc he was 1-4 from 3 and scored 6 points. His effort on D was good I guess but he still sucks. Basically your grade is like Forbes did something right so Imma give him a B :lol

spin8
01-07-2020, 12:51 PM
Nothing to see here ...we were thrashed by bad teams in our championship years...all this does is gives us a false sense of hope that we can contend...we need to make some serious trades ASAP

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-07-2020, 05:15 PM
Good grades Timvp, and, obviously, a great Spurs game. :tu

Your comments on D. White were spot on. Out of all the Spurs this season, his game has disappointed me the most so far. I fully expected with how he played last year, and how he ended up earning a Team USA spot last summer, that he was going to elevate his game to a whole new level. Sadly that hasn't happened. I don't know how much of that is injury, how much of that is trying to play within the system, how much of that is him deferring a bit to Murray, or how much of that is Pop just not utilizing him enough or correctly, but I'm hoping we start to see more of what I think White is capable of. I'm looking for the Derrick White we saw at the end of last season and through most of that first round series against Denver. He's got so much more to his game, and, sadly, the Spurs haven't gotten his best this season it seems.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-07-2020, 05:18 PM
Timvp, Sad to see how far a curve you have given Forbes. You just gave the man a B bc he was 1-4 from 3 and scored 6 points. His effort on D was good I guess but he still sucks. Basically your grade is like Forbes did something right so Imma give him a B :lol

Forbes should be playing pickup at Lifetime, so for him to hit a shot in an NBA game is a pretty big deal I guess.

Slippy
01-07-2020, 07:18 PM
Ya I was disappointed Lonnie didn't start but he did play the majority of the 4th. Can't complain.

GAustex
01-07-2020, 07:42 PM
I thought White played fine. He hit some big shots, controlled the game and that quick jump on the rebound where he got fouled- that was last year stuff

tholdren
01-07-2020, 11:03 PM
How did lamarsha get an A? This exposed him as soft. 4 rebounds? Say what? Good game for lonnie and digiorno murphy. But derozan shows again he's the best on the team by far

Russ
01-07-2020, 11:07 PM
I think Lonnie, Murray and White need to slow down at the rim like a up and under a euro step or a hesitation move to throw off the defender and create some space. Currently, they just dive to the rim and to avoid being block they rush their layup too much or with too much momentum causing them to have a lower fg% than expected.

Keldon Johnson can already do that.

Brazil
01-08-2020, 07:23 AM

what a boring clueless poster you are.. mind blowing

tholdren
01-08-2020, 12:43 PM

Could be worse, he could be a poster that thought mcdyess or thiago were good players for sa

Brazil
01-08-2020, 04:22 PM
Could be worse, he could be a poster that thought mcdyess or thiago were good players for sa

Tiago has been part of the beautiful game and contributed to a ring, so yeah I'd say that he was a pretty good player SA
As for McDyess I've seen much worst

Mugen
01-08-2020, 04:26 PM

If you don't think Tiago was a good player for the Spurs, you should probably just kill yourself tbh

tholdren
01-08-2020, 05:13 PM
If you don't think Tiago was a good player for the Spurs, you should probably just kill yourself tbh
You proved my point. Tiago made Pau look like prime olajuwon on the block. His stats were worse than blairs

timtonymanu
01-08-2020, 05:33 PM
tholdren has been the forum retard ever since he started here.

rascal
01-08-2020, 06:04 PM

Overrated player by Spurs fans. Did nothing after he left the Spurs.

Mugen
01-08-2020, 07:02 PM
Overrated player by Spurs fans. Did nothing after he left the Spurs.

Shut the fuck up, rascal. Never quote me again.

HarlemHeat37
01-08-2020, 07:03 PM
Tholdren also repeatedly said that the Spurs couldn't win a title with Kawhi, Danny Green and Splitter starting:lol

rascal
01-08-2020, 08:02 PM
Tiago has been part of the beautiful game and contributed to a ring, so yeah I'd say that he was a pretty good player SA
As for McDyess I've seen much worst

The Beautiful game? The beautiful game was the Spurs of the 1970's run and gun excitement under Doug Moe. That was a sight to see, not what you are calling the beautiful game. But I am sure you were not a Spur fan at that time and most likely not even alive.

tholdren
01-08-2020, 08:20 PM
Tholdren also repeatedly said that the Spurs couldn't win a title with Kawhi, Danny Green and Splitter starting:lol

I said that spurs would never win a title with kl was the man of the spurs.

Brazil
01-09-2020, 12:04 PM
The Beautiful game? The beautiful game was the Spurs of the 1970's run and gun excitement under Doug Moe. That was a sight to see, not what you are calling the beautiful game. But I am sure you were not a Spur fan at that time and most likely not even alive.

:lol yeah I let the 70's and the run and gun to you bro
Also :lol at what I'm calling the beautiful game, like this is my creation

duncan2k5
01-10-2020, 06:38 AM

How am I wrong? Are we now contenders?? Or is mediocrity your goal?

Brazil
01-10-2020, 12:52 PM
How am I wrong? Are we now contenders?? Or is mediocrity your goal?

:lol if I had to bother correcting on all your shitty takes.. it would be a full time job