View Full Version : Oklahoma City gives Hornets its full support

Jimcs50
11-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Nov. 2, 2005, 11:26PM

COMMENTARY
Oklahoma City gives Hornets its full support
By DAVID BOYCE
Kansas City Star

OKLAHOMA CITY - Majority owner George Shinn's initial response to the suggestion of relocating the New Orleans Hornets to Oklahoma City seems logical to anybody living the NBA life.

ADVERTISEMENT

High-profile teams are in glitzy cities such as Los Angeles, Miami or New York. And New Orleans is widely known as a prime party town.

It's nearly impossible for people in that cosmopolitan world to think of Oklahoma City as a home for the NBA.

Oklahoma is cattle country.

"My exact words were, 'Oklahoma? I didn't know they had an arena,' " Shinn said.

Oklahoma City not only has the 3-year-old, 19,000-seat Ford Arena, but every seat — and then some — was filled Tuesday night in the Hornets' season opener against the Sacramento Kings.

On opening night, Oklahoma City showed it is ready to embrace NBA basketball and knew just how to fire up the announced crowd of 19,163. Former Oklahoma basketball star Wayman Tisdale played a jazzy version of the national anthem.

When the players were announced, the cheering rose to deafening levels.

"The atmosphere was fantastic," Hornets coach Byron Scott said. "I know when Wayman did the National Anthem, I was thinking about the people in New Orleans. But once the game started I was thinking about the game.

"We found a safe haven here in Oklahoma City. Hopefully, we sent 19,000 fans away happy."

Just before tipoff, newly acquired guard Desmond Mason, who played at Oklahoma State, addressed the crowd.

"We are going to make this the loudest arena in the NBA," Mason said. "We hope to have a packed house all season."

From all indications, that seems a real possibility, especially if the Hornets play like they did Tuesday in their 93-67 victory over Sacramento.

"It's definitely a great way to start the season," Hornets guard Speedy Claxton said. "We gave the home fans something to cheer about."

Given just six weeks to sell tickets, the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets have sold more than 10,000 season tickets.

"I was thrilled when I heard the Hornets were coming here," said Christopher Blanchett, who has lived in Oklahoma for 22 years. "I've never been to an NBA game. I went to the Hornets' preseason game, and it was amazing.

"I bought season tickets. This is great. If we support the Hornets, I think the NBA will come here. Our time has come."

The arena, the support from fans and all the amenities surrounding the Ford Center, such as a Courtyard Marriott a few feet from the arena, at first caught Shinn by surprise.

Shinn was sure he would take his Hornets to a bigger city such as St. Louis, Las Vegas or even Kansas City.

The thing that Shinn and most people in the NBA didn't realize is that Oklahoma City has been preparing for this moment for nearly seven years.

It's why Oklahoma City opened up the Ford Center in 2002. Yes, the city wanted to be part of the rotation for the Big 12 basketball tournament.

"We are no secret to the region," said Oklahoma City mayor Mick Cornett. "People in Kansas City and Dallas know Oklahoma City is vastly improved to what it was 10 years ago. Nationally we are still a secret. With the Chiefs and the Royals, people know about Kansas City, but people don't know about Oklahoma City, nationally."

So Oklahoma City jumped at the opportunity to showcase itself when Hurricane Katrina forced the Hornets to relocate.

"Maybe it's a superficial sense of equality, but the ESPN crowd seeing Oklahoma City on the same level as Kansas City or Dallas certainly helps out," Cornett said.

National media showed up to the Hornets' home opener. Had the Hornets started their season in New Orleans, it's doubtful reporters from the New York Times , the Denver Post or the Dallas Morning News would have attended.

The media showed up because they were intrigued by NBA basketball in Oklahoma, a place known mostly for the Oklahoma Sooners and Oklahoma State basketball.

"Being part of the NBA family is very special for us, even if it is for a year," Cornett said.

Make no mistake, this is an important time for Oklahoma City as far as professional sports are concerned.

Scott Hall, director of basketball communication, said it usually takes up to 18 months for an expansion franchise or one moving to get in position to sell tickets. The Hornets had six weeks.

"But I'm not surprised by the ticket sales here once I saw the response from this city from day one," Hall said. "The people here want to be a major-league city, and they have stepped up."

And it has made people like Ira Moore thrilled. Moore was one of many volunteers outside the arena two hours before game time.

"Oklahoma has been crying for a pro team," Moore said. "It brings people together. It's fabulous."

P.J. Brown is playing in his third home city in the last six years, but it's all been with the Hornets organization. Brown was with the Hornets when the team was in Charlotte before moving to New Orleans in 2002.

"It's been different," Brown said. "It's sort of like getting traded. As a player you get used to it."

Brown, though, never imagined playing nearly a full season in Oklahoma City. The Hornets will play six home games in Baton Rouge, La.

"I was surprised, but I was sure Mr. Shinn analyzed everything," Brown said. "The people here are great. It's a nice city."

So nice that forward David West said that everywhere the Hornets go in Oklahoma City, people wish them well.

"Restaurants, gas stations, people just come up to you and tell you how glad they are we are here," West said.

If Oklahoma City draws well, will the NBA find a way to a team there? Will New Orleans be suitable for a NBA team?

"I'm trying to look at it in a realistic way," Shinn said. "I have to keep my options open. My goal is to get back to New Orleans. Time will tell."

__________________________________________________ ______________

19000+ fans is much better than the 8000 fans that have been attending games in NO the last couple of years.

Oh, Gee!!
11-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Let them have the Saints too.