PDA

View Full Version : Spurs center Mohammed has weight lifted off body and mind

Solid D
11-03-2005, 09:57 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110305.1C.BKNspurs.mohammed.214ee727.html

Web Posted: 11/03/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer
Less than a minute into the second half of Tuesday's season opener against Denver, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had seen enough. He barked at Rasho Nesterovic for helping allow a lob dunk, then turned to the end of his bench and summoned Nazr Mohammed.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/images/2005-2006/1103spurs_mohammed_jl.jpg
(Jerry Lara / Express-News)
Nazr Mohammed averaged 6.2 points and
6.4 rebounds last year in 23 regular-season
games with the Spurs.

Mohammed had not appeared in a game in almost two weeks, so Nuggets center Marcus Camby promptly welcomed him back, barreling through him on a misguided charge to the basket. The collision knocked Mohammed off his feet.

No one, however, would have been surprised to see the Spurs' center absorb the contact with a smile. Considering the carnival ride of emotions he experienced in October, Mohammed was happy enough to be back on the court, no matter the position.

"It's been a very hectic, up-and-down month to start the season," Mohammed said. "But my mind is at ease, and I'm ready to play ball."

Mohammed flew to Kentucky for the birth of his son, Nasir, the day after the Spurs opened exhibition play in Miami. He stayed with his family through the next three exhibitions before re-joining the team for games in Indiana and Louisiana.

Mohammed's wife, Mandy, however, developed a fever and had to be re-admitted to the hospital, forcing him to fly back to Kentucky. Almost as soon as she recovered, the couple's newborn son became sick, leading to another round of tests.

"Just waiting for the results to come back and find out what was wrong was tough," Mohammed said. "It was a 48- to 72-hour process."

Nasir and Mandy are both doing better, Mohammed said, allowing him to return to San Antonio last weekend. All told, he missed six of the Spurs' nine exhibition games and about two weeks of workouts.

In addition, Mohammed spent four weeks fasting during daylight hours in observance of the Islamic holy month, Ramadan. From sunrise to sundown each day, he abstained from food and liquids.

Wednesday was Mohammed's final day to fast. He lost almost 10 pounds, and the Spurs' training staff worked with him to ensure he stayed hydrated when allowable.

A lifelong Muslim, Mohammed has fasted each of the past six years. Last year, when he was with the New York Knicks, Ramadan overlapped with the first two weeks of the season. His play improved noticeably after the end of the holy month.

While fasting shrinks his stomach and occasionally saps his energy, Mohammed doesn't want to make a big deal of his commitment. Millions of Muslims — including a handful of NBA players like former Houston center Hakeem Olajuwon — do the same each year.

"It doesn't matter whether you're fasting playing basketball," he said, "or just fasting with your everyday life."

For now, Mohammed looks forward to getting re-acclimated with his teammates. During Tuesday's victory over the Nuggets, he had four points and one rebound in nine minutes. He also missed a couple of defensive assignments, earning a sharp rebuke from his coach.

Still, Popovich doesn't think Mohammed will need too much time to get back in the flow.

"He's in better shape than I expected after coming back from getting his family squared away," Popovich said.

Mohammed also had to learn on the fly last season after the Spurs acquired him on the day of the trade deadline in a deal that sent Malik Rose and a pair of first-round picks to New York. He started every game of the playoffs and played well for stretches, but he didn't expect to regain his job immediately after missing so much of training camp.

"I missed a lot of the mental work and physical preparation," Mohammed said. "It wouldn't be fair for guys who were here every day, practicing every day, playing in every game, for me to just go out there and play more minutes. It's only fair to let the guys who did the work get the opportunity to help us win games."

Although Mohammed lacks Nesterovic's soft hands — he fumbled away dump-off passes from the Spurs' guards several times last season — his aggressiveness eventually should help him win back his place in the lineup. With his contract expiring at the end of the season, he hopes to give the Spurs incentive to re-sign him. He already has told general manager R.C. Buford that his first choice is to remain with the team.

"I'd be lying if I said (the contract) wasn't in the back of my mind," Mohammed said. "But I know winners are always rewarded. That's my goal: To win, play hard and play well."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

GoSpurs21
11-03-2005, 10:04 AM
but every one who knows anything about Spurs basketball knows Holt and Pop are trying their best to devalue Narz, thats the Spurs way...

Marcus Bryant
11-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Not only did he have a sick wife and kid, but he's one of those. This is going to be a walk in the park for Pop.

Solid D
11-03-2005, 10:14 AM
"one of those" :lol

nkdlunch
11-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Ramadan is over today.

T Park
11-03-2005, 11:42 AM
What exactly is "one of those"

Nice article on Nazr.

I love his attitude. Hopefully he gets to play a little more Friday.

Marcus Bryant
11-03-2005, 12:42 PM
You know, one of those "semites".

Vashner
11-03-2005, 12:45 PM
I had a friend Ahmed from Somalia and ever ramadan he would be totally worthless at work... like no energy and just trying not to pass out. Maybe that's why pop had him riding the bench.

Solid D
11-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Good support info Vashner.

There was a reason we had a Ramadan discussion earlier in the year in this Forum....a good reason. This should not have been a surprise.

The birth and illness just adds to Nazr getting behind in the details of the necessary Spurs building blocks. As Dr. Kenny Smith might say, you've got to get all your Amino Acids in a row before you can make a good Protein.

50 cent
11-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Ramadan sucks. :td

smeagol
11-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Not only did he have a sick wife and kid, but he's one of those. This is going to be a walk in the park for Pop.
Weak

Phenomanul
11-03-2005, 02:17 PM
I figure one of the reasons his wife developed a fever was precisely because she gave birth during Ramadan... Already in a weakened state her immunological system was further hurt by a lack of proper nutrition.

Mavs<Spurs
11-03-2005, 02:20 PM
You know, one of those "semites".

Marcus,

I thought that semites were Jewish. Am I wrong?

He is true to his beliefs and he seems to be a good guy.

In a post 9-11 world which is politically correct, there are lots of landmines which one can step on. Yet, being naieve presents its own dangers too.
A wise man once said,"Trust but verify"

Tobias
11-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Yeah, you'd be hard-pressed to find too many "semites" named "Mohammed"...

Marcus Bryant
11-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Marcus,

In a post 9-11 world which is politically correct, there are lots of landmines which one can step on. Yet, being naieve presents its own dangers too.

That was a reference to T Park confusing Mohammadism with Jewry.

Marcus Bryant
11-03-2005, 02:31 PM
Weak

That was a reference to the sentiment Pop can play off among the San Antonihomers to work to his advantage.

T Park
11-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Mohammadism

lol

what a tool.

That was a reference to the sentiment Pop can play off among the San Antonihomers to work to his advantage

Yes, Pop is using ramadan as an excuse to make Nazr look bad.

God, get out of the bunker already.

Marcus Bryant
11-03-2005, 02:59 PM
T Park, have you driven on Loop 1604 North anytime recently? This is God's kuntry and I don't mean that robe wearin' kind.

itzsoweezee
11-03-2005, 04:36 PM
I figure one of the reasons his wife developed a fever was precisely because she gave birth during Ramadan... Already in a weakened state her immunological system was further hurt by a lack of proper nutrition.

well, you figured wrong. pregnant women don't fast during ramadan.

itzsoweezee
11-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Marcus,

arabs are semites as well. being semetic doesn't say anything about one's religion. semites are muslim, christian, jewish, and other religions.

Solid D
11-03-2005, 05:44 PM
As mentioned in another thread, the Arabic language has both Shemite and Hamite ties.

Anti-Semitic is a term, however, most often associated with the Hebrews/Jews nowadays.

Solid D
11-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Actually, I should say Arabs have both Shemite and Hamite ties. Arabic, as a language, is technically a Semitic language in it's root form.

Solid D
11-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Getting back to the point, I doubt little Nasir was circumsized.

SequSpur
11-03-2005, 09:00 PM
I thought he was in the dog house.

:rolleyes

T Park
11-03-2005, 09:04 PM
have you driven on Loop 1604 North anytime recently

Not since late May, and what do you mean this is "God's Country"

I already knew that.

I work in california, arizona.

Ive visited damn near every state in the union

Texas = Heaven on earth.

T Park
11-03-2005, 09:04 PM
I thought he was in the dog house.

Just go along with it.

Supposedly its all part of the "plan"

spursfaninla
11-03-2005, 09:36 PM
That friend of yours that was weak from fasting was doing it wrong.

First off, If you just wake up and eat before sunrise, and then eat at sundown, its really not any different in terms of total nutrition or caloric intake. Second, if you have health issues, you shouldn't be doing it in the first place (hence the pregant woman out).

Bahai's also fast (though only for 19 days.) The early christians fasted. Jesus fasted for 40 days. Lots of new age people fast, and I know christians today who do it during the time of lent (which originally was a fast, but people became too wimpy to do it anymore).

I fasted for the first time this year, and though it was uncomfortable at times (mostly dehydration headaches late in the day), otherwise it was like skipping lunch to do work; nothing to get worked up over.

I must say, dinner's never tasted so good!

ploto
11-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Back to the article-- does this article imply that the Spurs did not offer Nazr an extension? If staying with the Spurs really was his priority, wouldn't he have accepted the standard extension the Spurs could offer-- or is he just saying the right things to the press.