PDA

View Full Version : Derozan playstyle differences

BlackAndWhite
01-10-2020, 03:28 PM
From what I've heard, the way Derozan played on the Raptors is somewhat different than how he played on the spurs. Since I never watched raptors games, I am unable to personally understand the differences. Can anyone explain to me the main differences or provide me with a example of the differences.

Larry O
01-10-2020, 03:49 PM
What has been reported & been noted is DDR10's assists percentages has gone up quite a bit since he's been with the Spurs, a skillset that has been said that he did not display much when he was in Toronto. Other than that, his game pretty much unchanged.

duncan2k5
01-10-2020, 10:25 PM
No change... He passed a lot in Toronto too... Difference is Lowry was their leader so he had to share ball handling with him

SpurPadre
01-10-2020, 11:26 PM
He does seem to have lost some athleticism since being traded. I know he's 30 but that's still in the middle of a player's physical prime. He just seemed to move quicker as a Raptor.

BlackAndWhite
01-10-2020, 11:34 PM
He does make much fewer plays using athleticism than he did in his earlier raptor days. I watched a couple of clips from his first few seasons and most of the plays comes him beating his man using speed or athleticism. However, I am not sure if he lost it or if he simply chooses not to use it. For example, you still see him do some amazing stuff like the 360 layups and dunks but now it seems like most of his plays come through the post ups.

ZeusWillJudge
01-11-2020, 12:02 AM
It's pretty easy to look at Basketball Reference.

He's taking far more shots this year from 3 feet or less than he ever has, which mean he's getting to the basket somehow.

He's dishing more AST's than he did in Toronto, but not as many as last season. There were times in TOR where he had to take shots because his teammates were like bricklayers. You can't get dimes unless your teammates make the shots. Then they started dumping the ball back to him because they couldn't pull the trigger on shots - especially in the playoffs. You can't look at a guy in a vacuum like that.

This year he's taking almost exactly 50% of his shots from inside 10 feet, and his average shot distance is 10.1 feet - by far his best in both categories, other than his rookie season. As a rookie he got to the rim more, but shot most of the rest of his shots outside 16 feet.

He's taking better shots, and getting closer to the rim than any time since he was a rookie. He's also getting more dunks than he has in years. So it's hard to make a case that he's lost a step, or that he's less athletic.

duncan2k5
01-11-2020, 06:02 AM

He's taking far more shots this year from 3 feet or less than he ever has, which mean he's getting to the basket somehow.

He's dishing more AST's than he did in Toronto, but not as many as last season. There were times in TOR where he had to take shots because his teammates were like bricklayers. You can't get dimes unless your teammates make the shots. Then they started dumping the ball back to him because they couldn't pull the trigger on shots - especially in the playoffs. You can't look at a guy in a vacuum like that.

This year he's taking almost exactly 50% of his shots from inside 10 feet, and his average shot distance is 10.1 feet - by far his best in both categories, other than his rookie season. As a rookie he got to the rim more, but shot most of the rest of his shots outside 16 feet.

He's taking better shots, and getting closer to the rim than any time since he was a rookie. He's also getting more dunks than he has in years. So it's hard to make a case that he's lost a step, or that he's less athletic.

What's the point? He isn't good and he won't ever help us or any other team win a ring due to his style of play combined with his mental make up

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-11-2020, 09:10 AM
:cry Please come back Kawhi :cry

ezau
01-11-2020, 09:11 AM
What's the point? He isn't good and he won't ever help us or any other team win a ring due to his style of play combined with his mental make up

And Robert fucking Covington will put us over the top? :lol

RC_Drunkford
01-11-2020, 09:45 AM

and you won't stop whining in every thread because of your mental make up. You're weaker than all the people you constantly complain about

Collins21
01-11-2020, 10:03 AM
and you won't stop whining in every thread because of your mental make up. You're weaker than all the people you constantly complain about

This dude is a fucking faggot. His hatred for DeRozan is because he's not Kawhi and that shit is strange. Then once he's confronted n that shit he turns into a little btich and says shit like "Oh it's because y'all don't like me"

RC_Drunkford
01-11-2020, 10:21 AM
This dude is a fucking faggot. His hatred for DeRozan is because he's not Kawhi and that shit is strange. Then once he's confronted n that shit he turns into a little btich and says shit like "Oh it's because y'all don't like me"

I know. He still wants Kawhi to fuck his wife. That's his dream

tim_duncan_fan
01-11-2020, 10:25 AM

This and LaMarcus hitting 3s are why we have been relatively decent in the past couple of games.

The long twos were fucking murdering us.

R. DeMurre
01-11-2020, 11:09 AM
Yeah, he's had a good run. But sorry, he's still Fool's Gold. Eleven regular seasons of advanced stats and six playoff series show very conclusively that his teams are almost always better when he's off the floor. This isn't some minuscule sample size or the exaggerated amplification of a single game or series. The sample size is his entire career. A team that has DeRozan as their highest paid player & leader in minutes is simply not going to win a championship, ever. Putting up eye-popping numbers in a 13 point loss to a team as mediocre as the Grizzlies might make for dramatic headlines, but it should make real fans worry. If the Spurs sign him to a new contract, the championship title window gets locked shut. Sell high.

r0drig0lac
01-11-2020, 11:14 AM
Yeah, he's had a good run. But sorry, he's still Fool's Gold. Eleven regular seasons of advanced stats and six playoff series show very conclusively that his teams are almost always better when he's off the floor. This isn't some minuscule sample size or the exaggerated amplification of a single game or series. The sample size is his entire career. A team that has DeRozan as their highest paid player & leader in minutes is simply not going to win a championship, ever. Putting up eye-popping numbers in a 13 point loss to a team as mediocre as the Grizzlies might make for dramatic headlines, but it should make real fans worry. If the Spurs sign him to a new contract, the championship title window gets locked shut.

window?

R. DeMurre
01-11-2020, 11:16 AM
window?

The tiny one we're looking out of for the next four years if our minutes leader isn't an on court/off court net negative.

ZeusWillJudge
01-11-2020, 11:22 AM
This and LaMarcus hitting 3s are why we have been relatively decent in the past couple of games.

The long twos were fucking murdering us.

Dead on.

Have you noticed Aldridge getting ready to take one of those long shots, and looking down to make sure his feet are all the way behind the line? That's somebody who is making a conscious effort. And it's new. So did LaMarcus decide to do that on his own? If he did, then shame on Pop for not being the one to insist on it. If Pop is the one who insisted on it, then shame on him for not doing it sooner.

That's probably my biggest beef with Pop. This idea of letting guys figure it out on their own.

tim_duncan_fan
01-11-2020, 12:15 PM
Dead on.

Have you noticed Aldridge getting ready to take one of those long shots, and looking down to make sure his feet are all the way behind the line? That's somebody who is making a conscious effort. And it's new. So did LaMarcus decide to do that on his own? If he did, then shame on Pop for not being the one to insist on it. If Pop is the one who insisted on it, then shame on him for not doing it sooner.

That's probably my biggest beef with Pop. This idea of letting guys figure it out on their own.

I almost said that I don't think Pop knew any better, but the simultaneous changes we see in DeMar and LaMarcus are corrective after years of really stupid playstyles.

Someone told them and made it a point of emphasis. Why do 30 year old players need to be told to look for ways to be more efficient? Idk, but I'm glad someone did cause they were losing us games with the unnecessarily difficult 2-pointers.

Actually, maybe one of the assistants finally figured it out.

JeffDuncan
01-11-2020, 12:28 PM

Have you noticed Aldridge getting ready to take one of those long shots, and looking down to make sure his feet are all the way behind the line? That's somebody who is making a conscious effort. And it's new. So did LaMarcus decide to do that on his own? ...

I wouldn't think LMA decided that on his own, and I don't think it's from Pop. Pop would still be thinking about DDR shooting more 3s, and shrugging when DDR doesn't.

LMA is a big guy, and the big man coach is Mr. Duncan. What LMA is doing is new for him this year, and Mr. Duncan is new on the staff this year. It becomes suggestive. Also, Tim would know, from his playing days, as much as anybody would know, about the kind of pressure it can put on the defense when the opposing big can shoot the 3 effectively.

I don't know, and could be wrong, but the indications point toward Coach Duncan in this case. Perhaps the most telling reason to think that it's Tim instead of Pop is that it's successful.

daslicer
01-11-2020, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't think LMA decided that on his own, and I don't think it's from Pop. Pop would still be thinking about DDR shooting more 3s, and shrugging when DDR doesn't.

LMA is a big guy, and the big man coach is Mr. Duncan. What LMA is doing is new for him this year, and Mr. Duncan is new on the staff this year. It becomes suggestive. Also, Tim would know, from his playing days, as much as anybody would know, about the kind of pressure it can put on the defense when the opposing big can shoot the 3 effectively.

I don't know, and could be wrong, but the indications point toward Coach Duncan in this case. Perhaps the most telling reason to think that it's Tim instead of Pop is that it's successful.

:lol But the media will say Pop made LMA a good 3 point shooter. He just snapped his fingers and LMA was suddenly a good 3 point shooter.

RC_Drunkford
01-11-2020, 02:14 PM
LMA said he worked on the 3 all season and that that was his main focus, so I guess it was kind of planned. What a lot of people here are overlooking is that the Spurs changed up the offense right after the game against Dallas, where Carlisle said the post up is the least efficient play in basketball. The Detroit game is the first game where they started to play like they are now

duncan2k5
01-11-2020, 02:16 PM

Every post I literally say why I hate DDR...he isn't gonna win any team a championship as the first, second, or third option...and all u guys can do is send insults because deep down u know I'm right,but it pains u to have to admit it

RC_Drunkford
01-11-2020, 02:22 PM
Every post I literally say why I hate DDR...he isn't gonna win any team a championship as the first, second, or third option...and all u guys can do is send insults because deep down u know I'm right,but it pains u to have to admit it

Nobody here says that DeRozan will win a ring, but everybody here says that you are a huge faggot

Genovaswitness
01-11-2020, 02:24 PM
we’re still a brow 0.500 team. I don’t really care how this mongoloid plays get him the fuck off the team

duncan2k5
01-11-2020, 02:26 PM
we’re still a brow 0.500 team. I don’t really care how this mongoloid plays get him the fuck off the team

Exactly

Collins21
01-11-2020, 04:43 PM
Nobody here says that DeRozan will win a ring, but everybody here says that you are a huge faggot

I don't respond to him because basketball aside this dude gives off a homoerotic vibes when it comes to Kawhi.

RC_Drunkford
01-12-2020, 05:56 AM
I don't respond to him because basketball aside this dude gives off a homoerotic vibes when it comes to Kawhi.

Exactly