PDA

View Full Version : Hawks Expressed Interest in Trading for Jakob Poeltl

Shakril
01-15-2020, 08:24 PM
Hawks want to upgrade on center position. Poeltl is one of the targets. I dont believe that this i viable. There is nothing except trea young the hawks could offer the spurs.
For Poeltl himself, this would also be a bad destination.

Down below the notification.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/256820/Hawks-Expressed-Interest-In-Trading-For-Jakob-Poeltl

slick'81
01-15-2020, 08:29 PM
Dont you dare my touch my poodle power! Give him his 5 mil per here

Joseph Kony
01-15-2020, 08:33 PM
Nothing they'd want to give up to get him though, not like Spurs want VC or bloated contracts like Parsons or Crabbe, and Atlanta isnt going to give up Young, Huerter, Collins, or Hunter

SpursDynasty85
01-15-2020, 09:15 PM
Dont you dare my touch my poodle power! Give him his 5 mil per here

He's going to get way more than $5M/yr.

slick'81
01-15-2020, 09:19 PM

how much more

exstatic
01-15-2020, 09:21 PM

You’re stuck in the pre three happy pansy ass league time warp, like 2013.

Shakril
01-15-2020, 09:30 PM

And you have fallen too much in love with the 3. A good Rimprotector is worth a much, and Poeltl is one.

Texas_Ranger
01-15-2020, 09:31 PM
hope they express interest in others aswell.

exstatic
01-15-2020, 09:35 PM
And you have fallen too much in love with the 3. A good Rimprotector is worth a much, and Poeltl is one.
I don’t love the league as it is, with all of the 3 point shooting. I do, however, have a firm grip on reality, and recognize things as they are. Centers that were signed just 3 years ago, like Adams and capella, are getting played off the floor in the playoffs, and are being shopped around.

dbestpro
01-15-2020, 09:54 PM
Maybe they could be convinced to take one old senile bastard coach instead.

sananspursfan21
01-15-2020, 09:58 PM
Poeltl for Collins do it BW!

sananspursfan21
01-15-2020, 09:59 PM
I don’t love the league as it is, with all of the 3 point shooting. I do, however, have a firm grip on reality, and recognize things as they are. Centers that were signed just 3 years ago, like Adams and capella, are getting played off the floor in the playoffs, and are being shopped around.

Mozgov was making like 13 million a year or two ago :lol

RC_Drunkford
01-15-2020, 10:02 PM
Nothing they'd want to give up to get him though, not like Spurs want VC or bloated contracts like Parsons or Crabbe, and Atlanta isnt going to give up Young, Huerter, Collins, or Hunter

:pop: "You're saying the Hawks have a veteran over 40? We need him so Lonnie can watch him from the bench and learn"

CGD
01-15-2020, 10:47 PM
They’re probably trying to unload one of their picks this summer. In addition to their own, it looks like they possess the Cav’s 2020 pick (They also have the Thunder 2022 pick).

If that is what they are shopping it should tell you a little about how crappy the upcoming class is. Still, a potential Cav or ATL pick in this draft could be interesting, and worth it for ATL too given the glut of youngsters they have already.

Sugus
01-15-2020, 10:48 PM

The Mozgov contract that was considered an awful signing and overpay at the time it was inked and has aged exactly as that...?

K...
01-15-2020, 11:05 PM
we should trade for demarr carrol. Seems like a good fit with the spurs and get plenty of minutes.

slick'81
01-15-2020, 11:14 PM
What players on the hawks match salary for a deal?

JeffDuncan
01-15-2020, 11:16 PM
we should trade for demarr carrol. Seems like a good fit with the spurs and get plenty of minutes.

Who's Carroll playing for now? I haven't seen him or heard anything about him for a long time.

CGD
01-15-2020, 11:17 PM
What players on the hawks match salary for a deal?

I think they have enough space left to just absorb him. For example, I think they can send over one of their two 2020 picks in exchange without sending anyone out.

JeffDuncan
01-15-2020, 11:28 PM
I think they have enough space left to just absorb him. For example, I think they can send over one of their two 2020 picks in exchange without sending anyone out.

According to spotrac the Hawks are currently $4,778,166 under the salary cap. I think they may be the only NBA team under the cap. Poeltl's contract calls for $3,754,886 this year (his salary cap amount.)

CGD
01-15-2020, 11:40 PM
According to spotrac the Hawks are currently $4,778,166 under the salary cap. I think they may be the only NBA team under the cap. Poeltl's contract calls for $3,754,886 this year (his salary cap amount.)

Good to know. So assuming ATL isn’t willing to part with any of their two recent picks (Hunter or Reddish), which is a safe assumption, the spurs are probably only interested if they offer for one of their 2 1st round picks.

What better keeping Jakob or flipping him for a possible lotto pick in a shitty draft?

slick'81
01-15-2020, 11:48 PM
Good to know. So assuming ATL isn’t willing to part with any of their two recent picks (Hunter or Reddish), which is a safe assumption, the spurs are probably only interested if they offer for one of their 2 1st round picks.

What better keeping Jakob or flipping him for a possible lotto pick in a shitty draft?

depends on how much you value poodle. A first is probably the best value you could get but youd be stuck with metu and ewwbanks in an increased role

JeffDuncan
01-15-2020, 11:48 PM

Myself, I would definitely keep Poeltl rather than gambling on the draft this year.

Dverde
01-16-2020, 12:28 AM
:lol people assume Poeltl wants to come back here. I wouldn’t be shocked if he picked to leave when the money offer is the same. He went from starting playoff games to backing up Trey Lyles.

Proxy
01-16-2020, 12:44 AM
:lol people assume Poeltl wants to come back here. I wouldn’t be shocked if he picked to leave when the money offer is the same. He went from starting playoff games to backing up Trey Lyles.

he just said in an interview recently that he likes playing with the bench unit more than the starters tbh

UZER
01-16-2020, 12:51 AM
he just said in an interview recently that he likes playing with the bench unit more than the starters tbh

Yeah, because saying he hates not starting will do wonders for his playing time with Pop.

And even worse, if he really meant what he said, that is exactly why Pop loves the Euro big men. They’re just “happy to be in the league”.

gambit1990
01-16-2020, 01:14 AM
hawks get: demar, poeltl, belinelli, spurs 2020 2nd round pick

thunder get: dejounte murray, patty mills, bryn forbes, chandler parsons (expiring)

spurs get: cp3, dennis schroder, nerlens noel, deandre hunter

ragas
01-16-2020, 02:37 AM
Why should the Hawks trade for him? They don't want to get better now. And if they really want him they'll give him an offer sheet after the season has ended.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-16-2020, 02:51 AM
They’re probably trying to unload one of their picks this summer. In addition to their own, it looks like they possess the Cav’s 2020 pick (They also have the Thunder 2022 pick).

If that is what they are shopping it should tell you a little about how crappy the upcoming class is. Still, a potential Cav or ATL pick in this draft could be interesting, and worth it for ATL too given the glut of youngsters they have already.

They have their own pick and Brooklyn’s lottery protected one, plus the Thunder 2022 pick which may very likely turn into two 2nd rounders instead. They’re not sending any of these for Poeltl. They’ll offer Bembry who’s having a bit of a down year and with the newly drafted wings they probably don’t want to re-sign him. Damian Jones is another possibility but forget about picks. They din’t even have 2nd rounders to trade until 2022.

JuneJive
01-16-2020, 06:26 AM
I can see them going after Poeltl for his defense.

Someone needs to mop up after Trae.

r0drig0lac
01-16-2020, 07:07 AM

cmon man

Prime BEEF
01-16-2020, 09:00 AM
I’m not sure how desperate Atlanta is but I’d assume that they are really feeling pressure to get young some help...as he’s not happy with his supporting cast.

DDR and Poetl for Reddish/Parsons/Both 1st Rd Picks

Sugus
01-16-2020, 10:14 AM
It would be extremely short sighted from the Spurs to trade away Jakob. LMA is 34 and already showing signs of clear regression, and the Spurs don't have any other up-and-coming centers that could sweep in other than Poeltl (Metu is more of a 4 and Eubanks, while possibly a solid bench backup, shouldn't start for any serious team). Jakob has been improving steadily and is a great defensive anchor, he could definitely be starting for us next season with LMA on the bench to lower his playing time. No deal unless Hawks overpay for him tbh

ZeusWillJudge
01-16-2020, 11:37 AM
I like Poeltl and his future. But let's face it, he wouldn't be used to full advantage. I've said for two seasons - the Spurs are in salary cap hell, and just about the time they could get out they are going to get handcuffed again because they'll have to start paying their young players.

Trade Poeltl and Beli for Jabari Parker, Vince Carter, and the Hawks next two second round picks. Then bring up either Metu or Eubanks and start looking at who the Spurs want in 2020.

exstatic
01-16-2020, 11:47 AM

Yeah, but he wasn't SIGNED a year or two ago. Jim Buss gave him that contract in 2016, and he hasn't been running the LA show in a good while. LA had to give up DRuss, who eventually became an All Star, just to dump that filthy contract.

Stick your head in the sand if you like, but the league has changed radically in the last two or three years, and centers, as a group, hold very little value. There are outliers like AD or KAT, but most of them are now pretty interchangeable, not to mention expendable.

exstatic
01-16-2020, 11:50 AM
I like Poeltl and his future. But let's face it, he wouldn't be used to full advantage. I've said for two seasons - the Spurs are in salary cap hell, and just about the time they could get out they are going to get handcuffed again because they'll have to start paying their young players.

Trade Poeltl and Beli for Jabari Parker, Vince Carter, and the Hawks next two second round picks. Then bring up either Metu or Eubanks and start looking at who the Spurs want in 2020.

LMA has given clear signs that he's going back to PDX to finish his career. That could happen via trade, but at the latest, will happen in the summer of 2021, and then Poodle will get all of the minutes he can handle.

ZeusWillJudge
01-16-2020, 12:10 PM
LMA has given clear signs that he's going back to PDX to finish his career. That could happen via trade, but at the latest, will happen in the summer of 2021, and then Poodle will get all of the minutes he can handle.

It's more than just his minutes, IMO. But I don't even know why I'm discussing shit like this. We all know that the real elephant in the room is that Forbes is going to get a big chunk of cap space to stick around, plus Gay and Carroll are on the books for another $21M

SpursDynasty85
01-16-2020, 12:16 PM
how much more

IDK but Poetl appears to be as good of a shot blocker as there is in the NBA right now. my guess is closer to $10M but $5M seems way too low imo.

Dex
01-16-2020, 12:16 PM

SpursDynasty85
01-16-2020, 12:18 PM

I'm not. His shot blocking alone should net him more than $5M plus he is a pretty good finisher on pick and roll 2 still important aspects even in today's NBA.

phxspurfan
01-16-2020, 12:36 PM

Wtf is Minny doing

BacktoBasics
01-16-2020, 12:44 PM
Atlanta also frees up a roster spot. This a good thing for SA if they want to clear an extra body.

sananspursfan21
01-16-2020, 02:17 PM
Yeah, but he wasn't SIGNED a year or two ago. Jim Buss gave him that contract in 2016, and he hasn't been running the LA show in a good while. LA had to give up DRuss, who eventually became an All Star, just to dump that filthy contract.

Stick your head in the sand if you like, but the league has changed radically in the last two or three years, and centers, as a group, hold very little value. There are outliers like AD or KAT, but most of them are now pretty interchangeable, not to mention expendable.

Alrighty then. You could have saved that entire second paragraph because you’re preaching to the choir. I didn’t mention Mozgov’s contract as a means of trying to prove centers’ value. I was simply laughing at the ridiculousness of it as the league has changed drastically in regards to the center position. Typing that second portion is about 45 seconds you’ll never get back!

FutureMan
01-16-2020, 03:04 PM
Atlanta also frees up a roster spot. This a good thing for SA if they want to clear an extra body.

i believe the Timberwolves are the ones who opened a roster spot.

Maybe the Timberwolves did this trade for a future trade closer to the deadline??

BacktoBasics
01-16-2020, 03:18 PM
i believe the Timberwolves are the ones who opened a roster spot.

Maybe the Timberwolves did this trade for a future trade closer to the deadline??
Yep. You’re right. My bad. I thought Atlanta sent two but it was the Wolves.

Proxy
01-16-2020, 04:08 PM
Yeah, because saying he hates not starting will do wonders for his playing time with Pop.

And even worse, if he really meant what he said, that is exactly why Pop loves the Euro big men. They’re just “happy to be in the league”.

he said he's more comfortable with that unit, that he has a hard time feeling comfortable with the spacing with LMA. That the bench plays more motion...

it was a translated interview, someone posted it earlier this season here

Proxy
01-16-2020, 04:10 PM
cmon man

bench vs starting lineup
...He feels more comfortable with the bench, because they play faster, the ball moves more and he's more involved in the pick/roll action. In the starting lineup they have more iso-players and it's harder for him to find his rhythm, but there's also a place for him with the starters, although he has to play more passive...

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282292&highlight=poeltl+interview

TD 21
01-16-2020, 05:08 PM
They've apparently broken off talks with the Pistons for Drummond. Let's hope they shore up the center position before free agency because they have max cap space, so they could conceivably throw a bloated offer sheet ($10-12 million annually?) at him that at the very least gives the Spurs pause.

Probably should have locked him up already, even if it took going slightly higher ($7-8 million annually?) than they'd have preferred. He's one of the few net positive players on this roster and though he lacks ball skills and plays the most over saturated position, he fills a current and future positional need and pending the expected off season trade of DeRozan, could end up the best long term piece from the infamous "trade".

exstatic
01-16-2020, 05:37 PM
They've apparently broken off talks with the Pistons for Drummond. Let's hope they shore up the center position before free agency because they have max cap space, so they could conceivably throw a bloated offer sheet ($10-12 million annually?) at him that at the very least gives the Spurs pause.

Probably should have locked him up already, even if it took going slightly higher ($7-8 million annually?) than they'd have preferred. He's one of the few net positive players on this roster and though he lacks ball skills and plays the most over saturated position, he fills a current and future positional need and pending the expected off season trade of DeRozan, could end up the best long term piece from the infamous "trade".

Doubt they do that. Trae is already whining about their roster. Gotta keep the baby coddled and swaddled.

DPG#5
01-16-2020, 05:52 PM
hawks get: demar, poeltl, belinelli, spurs 2020 2nd round pick

thunder get: dejounte murray, patty mills, bryn forbes, chandler parsons (expiring)

spurs get: cp3, dennis schroder, nerlens noel, deandre hunter

Who the heck wants CP3 on the spurs, he had lots of chances he didn't even consider the spurs before. Certainly don't whant his shits contract or his old ass.

mo7888
01-16-2020, 08:42 PM

He's not getting Adam's money but he'll get more than $5M. Probably less than Nurkic though. $8-$10/yr on a 3 or 4 year deal I'd think.

paperboy77
01-16-2020, 08:58 PM
They can go to hell with this one!

No one on their roster worth a shit.

CGD
01-16-2020, 09:26 PM
They have their own pick and Brooklyn’s lottery protected one, plus the Thunder 2022 pick which may very likely turn into two 2nd rounders instead. They’re not sending any of these for Poeltl. They’ll offer Bembry who’s having a bit of a down year and with the newly drafted wings they probably don’t want to re-sign him. Damian Jones is another possibility but forget about picks. They din’t even have 2nd rounders to trade until 2022.

They have a glut of rookies, do they really want to add another 2 this summer? At some point all teams have to consolidate young assets (even the spurs here soon) for established pieces.

The Brooklyn pick is 15-30, which seems more than fair for Jakob. I think it’s the spurs that scoff at that actually.