PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Popovich Theory Thread

Number 2
01-18-2020, 07:52 PM
His coaching decisions have been baffling, particularly the relentless overplaying of clearly inferior players (Bryn Forbes). But the man must have his reasons, and whatever those reasons are, they seem to transcend basketball. Let's hear some theories.

I personally think it's simply a case of a stubborn old dog with too much power. Winning basketball has taken a backseat to Pop's own ego and his compulsive favoritism, changing the SA Spurs into The Cult of Popovich.

And while less likely, I haven't ruled out the possibility that Gregg has taken Bryn as a lover, and his being a starter is part of that arrangement. I just don't know... I really don't. I mean no disrespect, but what the hell is going on?

FkLA
01-18-2020, 07:59 PM
And while less likely, I haven't ruled out the possibility that Gregg has taken Bryn as a lover, and his being a starter is part of that arrangement. I just don't know... I really don't. I mean no disrespect, but what the hell is going on?

https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/NFE_portrait/2014/04/morena_baccarin.jpg

itzsoweezee
01-18-2020, 08:04 PM
I think, at this point, results are less important to him than the process. Bryn knows where to be on the court for the plays, therefore, he gets to play while guys who might make mistakes or not have the system down completely are benched.

This approach might make sense when you've got a roster full of stars competing for a championship (ie, to get from good to great), but it makes absolutely no sense for the roster as currently constructed. Unfortunately, you can't teach a stubborn old dog new tricks

sasaint
01-18-2020, 08:29 PM
Because he has always been this way.

at the Players said Hill hadn't "lost the team" but Poop with his media sycophants (SEAN ELLIOT) have altered that reality to the point that anybody on this forum will argue to "forum death" that he ad.

It's ALWAYS had to be His way since he became the GM of the team.

Thanks for the text. I really appreciate your digging it up and sharing it. :tu

Uriel
01-18-2020, 08:44 PM
1. Old age.

2. Departure of key assistants (Messina and Udoka).

RC_Drunkford
01-18-2020, 08:49 PM
1. Ego, thinking it's all an issue of the players not executing his genius plans. His stubbornness is also part of his ego. Trying to prove to people he's smarter than everybody else and analytics are a hoax, 3s are not fun, etc.

2. Preferring character over basketball skills. He's a nice guy I'ma start him. He has more skills but doesn't listen Ima put him in the dog house. All this bigger than basketball mentality

UZER
01-18-2020, 08:52 PM
We no longer have OT Pop. We have prequel Pop. Too many yes men around him.

tenbeersbold
01-18-2020, 09:05 PM
I'm gonna venture his political beliefs have gotten the better of him and he's fucking with the Holt's.His political shenanigans have only gotten outta hand since the Holt's piled millions into Trump's last presidential campaign.
Old folks are some stubborn bastards.
Putting Timmy on the bench was Pops security blanket.
How the hell are the Holt's gonna fire Pop with the face of the franchise sitting at his right hand??? Pop will continue to fuck withe the Holt's and do his schtick until he walks away in a year or two.Here is hoping he's gone sooner

DMC
01-18-2020, 09:26 PM
Trump's winning has him really fucked up. Wonder how many wine bottles he broke when the Soleimani strike was reported.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-18-2020, 09:29 PM
those last two posts are stupid even by ST standards

grats

JuneJive
01-18-2020, 10:02 PM
He surely sees the big picture.

I think he is just transitioning the team into the hands of the new coach via staying competitive ( let's call it that ) as an experience boost for the youngsters.

GAustex
01-18-2020, 10:08 PM
Pop has to know what it would take to put his team in the best position to win. But he is not doing that.
He has some reason for playing lessor talent.
Some the speculation here might be the reason.

The gay lover thing is an interesting take. TDS also.
Most likely it is some sort of personnel commitment to the less athletic players-maybe trying to ensure their financial success in the future.

get_mills_out
01-18-2020, 11:14 PM
:pop: everyone said we had to take more threes so I guess I have to play Forbes, Beli & Mills 48/48 minutes. It's not working?! I thought we had to take more threes?!

dbestpro
01-18-2020, 11:37 PM
He owes money to some body in Vegas and has been throwing games.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-18-2020, 11:54 PM
He wants Forbes to be his starting point guard in the olympics.. so if he didn’t start and play him he wouldn’t be able to make that happen

Spurtacular
01-19-2020, 02:24 AM
Gregg never gonna have another star to ride coattails to a ring.

KimmyGib
01-19-2020, 02:28 AM
Rumor has it someone's been bribing Pop with very expensive Italian wine in exchange for continuing to play their nation's washed-up champion. :drunk
As for Forbes, I think Pop is still trying to hold on to his dream that he's discovered and groomed the next steph curry. :flypig

boutons_deux
01-19-2020, 10:00 AM

grats

rightwingnutjob Trump-fellating cult mob assholes are fucking stupid by definition, fundamental characteristic of that mob

dbestpro
01-19-2020, 01:05 PM
rightwingnutjob Trump-fellating cult mob assholes are fucking stupid by definition, fundamental characteristic of that mob

When we toss insults at a group of people it generally says more about the person tossing the insult than it does the group being insulted. Just saying.........

tenbeersbold
01-19-2020, 02:13 PM

grats

Oh that's right,you got nuthin' to say per par tbh etc.
You don't see any connection between Pop's anti Trump views and the Holt's massive donations to Trump??? It wouldn't exactly be a stretch ya lameo ST Sherlock.

tenbeersbold
01-19-2020, 02:14 PM
Lmfao,I wouldn't vote for a clown like Trump but I sure as shooting wouldn't vote for whatever the Dems put forth either
Last Democrat I could get behind died in a plane crash awhile back.Good old Paul Wellstone

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-19-2020, 02:22 PM
Oh that's right,you got nuthin' to say per par tbh etc.
You don't see any connection between Pop's anti Trump views and the Holt's massive donations to Trump??? It wouldn't exactly be a stretch ya lameo ST Sherlock.

nope

Spurtacular
01-19-2020, 02:34 PM
Lmfao,I wouldn't vote for a clown like Trump but I sure as shooting wouldn't vote for whatever the Dems put forth either
Last Democrat I could get behind died in a plane crash awhile back.Good old Paul Wellstone

You goin way back, nigga.

RC_Drunkford
01-19-2020, 05:50 PM
It's always funny to me that Pop makes all these political statements, but runs the Spurs like a dictator. Nobody is allowed to criticize him, not even reporters otherwise they will get fired. He's the Kim Yong-Un of San Antonio

Harry Callahan
01-19-2020, 07:09 PM
I'm kind of sick of the side bars and microaggressions of this current version of Pop - he simply cannot contain himself anymore.

I'm fully aware of his political views - I have been for years now. He just keeps saying the same thing over and over again in various forms and fashions that are tiresome.

Slippy
01-19-2020, 08:03 PM
He's getting old and ya has fallen for Bryn. .Not in the homo way. Bryn is his pet project who shares connections to RC. Pops Steph Curry.

Keepin' it real
01-19-2020, 08:11 PM
He's threatened by freakishly athletic players with strong personalities. They don't abide by his "I'm the master" philosophy because they know his coaching can't make them any better.

MultiTroll
01-19-2020, 08:18 PM
I'm kind of sick of the side bars and microaggressions of this current version of Pop - he simply cannot contain himself anymore.

I'm fully aware of his political views - I have been for years now. He just keeps saying the same thing over and over again in various forms and fashions that are tiresome.
on MLK: "more then anything, he's about justice, about trying to make everything fair for everyone...."

"we have a group in power that is very willing to ignore it (Race). It's not just with their words, their actions prove it. That's scary." Walks off without saying another word for dramatical effect.

Ohhh you're so edgy Pop.
Hypocritical much? Talks about justice, fairness and racism yet plays his pets while burning other players.

UZER
01-19-2020, 08:19 PM
He's threatened by freakishly athletic players with strong personalities. They don't abide by his "I'm the master" philosophy because they know his coaching can't make them any better.

This is exactly why a non athletic scrub like Bonner can stay with the Spurs for 10 years. Pop doesn’t care if you can defend. He cares if you stand exactly where he tells you to stand, regardless of actual impact on the game.

I mean, this man subbed out Tim mutha effing Duncan on the most important play of the entire finals. :lol

RC_Drunkford
01-19-2020, 08:59 PM

This is exactly why a non athletic scrub like Bonner can stay with the Spurs for 10 years. Pop doesn’t care if you can defend. He cares if you stand exactly where he tells you to stand, regardless of actual impact on the game.

I mean, this man subbed out Tim mutha effing Duncan on the most important play of the entire finals. :lol

I keep saying this too, he really seems to dislike athletic black players and is in love with unathletic white guys. Plumlee over Adebayo, Belinelli over Walker are just 2 recent examples.

on MLK: "more then anything, he's about justice, about trying to make everything fair for everyone...."

"we have a group in power that is very willing to ignore it (Race). It's not just with their words, their actions prove it. That's scary." Walks off without saying another word for dramatical effect.

Ohhh you're so edgy Pop.
Hypocritical much? Talks about justice, fairness and racism yet plays his pets while burning other players.

There was some report out that in 2017 nephew, Dedmon and Simmons couldn't stand Pop talking about black history. Like why is an old white guy trying constantly to tell black people about their history? They just wanted to play ball.

SayTown
01-19-2020, 10:34 PM

During the 15-16 season the Spurs signed Kevin Martin late and had to cut someone to make room for him. It was between Bonner and Rasual Butler and Butler got cut even though he was the better player and better defender. We lost in the playoffs to the Thunder and we could have used Butler as a defender against OKC when they played small ball but Pop couldn't dare cut his son.

BackHome
01-19-2020, 10:35 PM
Poop is a fucking troll it’s sad to see How far this Once great man has fallen. Getting old sucks more for some people and that would be Pop “Grumpy Old Men”.

sasaint
01-19-2020, 10:37 PM
During the 15-16 season the Spurs signed Kevin Martin late and had to cut someone to make room for him. It was between Bonner and Rasual Butler and Butler got cut even though he was the better player and better defender. We lost in the playoffs to the Thunder and we could have used Butler as a defender against OKC when they played small ball but Pop couldn't dare cut his son.

Worse, Pop cut Butler so late that he couldn't sign with another team for the playoffs. Memorable moment on the road to my questioning Pop's judgment.

sasaint
01-19-2020, 10:40 PM
https://youtu.be/YReA8T5lO0A

https://youtu.be/YhCwFzoCfIk

https://youtu.be/I4gnnWLvLoE

HELP US BECKY HAMMON YOUR OUR ONLY HOPE

Watching some of your vids has increased my respect for Becky. I haven't really had an opinion about the possibility of her succeeding Pop as HC. But I wouldn't object to Becky at all. Be very interesting to see who she would hire as assistants...

ZeusWillJudge
01-19-2020, 10:52 PM
I keep saying this too, he really seems to dislike athletic black players and is in love with unathletic white guys. Plumlee over Adebayo, Belinelli over Walker are just 2 recent examples.

There was some report out that in 2017 nephew, Dedmon and Simmons couldn't stand Pop talking about black history. Like why is an old white guy trying constantly to tell black people about their history? They just wanted to play ball.

There was an ancient Greek prophecy about Duncan shouldering the weight of Pop's ego. They even made a statue of it. They got the dreds right, but Tim won't grow the beard for a few more years:

https://www.greekmythology.com/images/mythology/atlas_29.jpg

byrontx
01-19-2020, 11:08 PM
It is hard to tell which are legit concerns about Pop’s coaching when so much of it seems to be butt-hurt MAGAs that are pissed that Pop calls out their Savior for being the ignorant asshole coward he is.
Pop has always been a character guy. He would just naturally detest Trump.
I’ll hold off until the Rodeo trip to see how Pop is working the team. He always seems to be playing a chess game when people are yelling for simplicity. SPAM

pgardn
01-19-2020, 11:23 PM
Ever since Trump became president he has never been the same.
Same with Kerr.

Its all so simple. We got some genius stuff going on.

Christ amightee...

talkspurs
01-19-2020, 11:39 PM
Watching some of your vids has increased my respect for Becky. I haven't really had an opinion about the possibility of her succeeding Pop as HC. But I wouldn't object to Becky at all. Be very interesting to see who she would hire as assistants...

Dont forget she also won summer league one year. Yes it is only summer league but she can get a team to win. I also dont think we were favored to win that year.

talkspurs
01-19-2020, 11:40 PM
Ever since Trump became president he has never been the same.
Same with Kerr.

Its all so simple. We got some genius stuff going on.

Christ amightee...

I think once Pop took on the mantra of Jerk to the media is when he went down. I was never a big fan of his but you could tell when it was more natural and when he had to live up to being that jerk.

timtonymanu
01-19-2020, 11:41 PM
It is hard to tell which are legit concerns about Pop’s coaching when so much of it seems to be butt-hurt MAGAs that are pissed that Pop calls out their Savior for being the ignorant asshole coward he is.
Pop has always been a character guy. He would just naturally detest Trump.
I’ll hold off until the Rodeo trip to see how Pop is working the team. He always seems to be playing a chess game when people are yelling for simplicity. SPAM

No it’s because he’s a hypocrite. I don’t care about Trump either, but Pop is exactly the same as him. Criticize him and his shitty coaching job and he gets so offended yet he runs his mouth about everyone else. Pop is paid to coach, not offer his opinion that most people don’t give a shit to listen to. He has little power to change the world so he needs to stfu and figure out why he loves playing his pets so many minutes.
Also the chess while playing checkers philosophy lol. Such a sniffer take.

Obi Juan Kenobi
01-19-2020, 11:41 PM
We no longer have OT Pop. We have prequel Pop. Too many yes men around him.

Love the Star Wars reference!

J_Paco
01-19-2020, 11:54 PM
No it’s because he’s a hypocrite. I don’t care about Trump either, but Pop is exactly the same as him. Criticize him and his shitty coaching job and he gets so offended yet he runs his mouth about everyone else. Pop is paid to coach, not offer his opinion that most people don’t give a shit to listen to. He has little power to change the world so he needs to stfu and figure out why he loves playing his pets so many minutes.
Also the chess while playing checkers philosophy lol. Such a sniffer take.

If you hate his political opinions you could......................

........just ignore them. Why worry about someone else's political opinion if it matters to you so little? Clearly, it bothers you otherwise you wouldn't claim he should keep it to himself (when he is a public figure and people ask for his opinion).

Anyway, his issue is he's coaching his youngest team ever, but instead of giving the young, talented guys a long "leash" to improve on the court he's treating the team like a title contender. Letting his stubbornness, hubris and past success dictate that he coach this team like it still has Duncan, Parker & Ginobili to lean on.

Having fringe players like Forbes & Belinelli in the rotation could have possibly worked wiith the Big 3 around (and Nephew), yet not with this team with so many limitations on the roster.

It'll likely be too late for it to matter in the playoff chase this season, but the team needs to continue to be infuse with youth and talent, anyway.

MarCowMar
01-20-2020, 12:00 AM
I know a man just like Pop is now: it's my angry white uncle who would drink Miller Lite and rage binge the O'Reilly Factor during the Obama years.

Buckle in folks cuz that is exactly what Pop is now, except his poisons of choice are wine and Rachel Maddow, and just like my uncle suffered 8 years of Obama Derangement Syndrome, it's likely that Pop is in for four more years of TDS.

sasaint
01-20-2020, 12:22 AM
Dont forget she also won summer league one year. Yes it is only summer league but she can get a team to win. I also dont think we were favored to win that year.

Meh. Summer league didn't really influence me much about her suitability as a true NBA HC. I watched every game that summer league. I thought Kyle and Simmons were gonna be Spurs TNG that summer... Hey, maybe she IS a great coach!

Spurtacular
01-20-2020, 12:23 AM

He just likes to virtue signal. You can't tell me he really gives a sh**.

BlackAndWhite
01-20-2020, 02:45 AM
I wonder if Rasul butler would have been alive had pop not cut him

tbdog
01-20-2020, 06:06 AM
I wonder if Rasul butler would have been alive had pop not cut him

I am sure he would be alive if he wasn't drunk behind the wheel.

BackHome
01-20-2020, 12:11 PM
I always thought releasing him was stupid and also very Un Spurs like after the wreck I wondered if that was the reason for his release. Either way feel for him and his family drugs have killed so many of my friends throughout the years.

John B
01-20-2020, 12:22 PM
I think, at this point, results are less important to him than the process. Bryn knows where to be on the court for the plays, therefore, he gets to play while guys who might make mistakes or not have the system down completely are benched.

This approach might make sense when you've got a roster full of stars competing for a championship (ie, to get from good to great), but it makes absolutely no sense for the roster as currently constructed. Unfortunately, you can't teach a stubborn old dog new tricks
Agree at some point. I think it's more important to him to develop the next generation, Murray, White and particularly Lonnie. Lonnie I think has Kawhi-esque potential, athletic freak but very raw. Pop is making him earn his minutes behind Marco. Lonnie said this in the interview, that Pop sees a lot of potential in him but Pop wants him to work on his defense particularly. Pop is not subject to what a regular coach would be. He's not threatened to lose his job, so he could get away with it. Normally he would already be fired. He sees the more grandeur long term things. I hate it as a fan and I know Spurs could've have won several of those games, particularly Hawks. But that's fools gold. He is making an impression on Lonnie to make that commitment, like Kawhi did, to earn those minutes and eclipse Marco and Forbes. It's frustrating to us fans, but I think Lonnie gets it, likewise all the young players. I think Carrol doesn't get it, so that's why he's at the bench in street clothes.

K...
01-20-2020, 01:26 PM
Everyone always mentions Butler, but cutting Ray mcallum was pretty heartless. Ray could be Forbes right now,

spurs1990
01-20-2020, 01:40 PM
I always thought releasing him was stupid and also very Un Spurs like after the wreck I wondered if that was the reason for his release. Either way feel for him and his family drugs have killed so many of my friends throughout the years.

I recall this move was very cold. Not sure if I'm remembering correctly but it was to sign Kevin Martin in his place. Can't say it didn't have some sort of karmic affect on a 67 win team's ouster in the 2nd round a month after Butler was cut.

TDomination
01-20-2020, 02:31 PM
Agree at some point. I think it's more important to him to develop the next generation, Murray, White and particularly Lonnie. Lonnie I think has Kawhi-esque potential, athletic freak but very raw. Pop is making him earn his minutes behind Marco. Lonnie said this in the interview, that Pop sees a lot of potential in him but Pop wants him to work on his defense particularly. Pop is not subject to what a regular coach would be. He's not threatened to lose his job, so he could get away with it. Normally he would already be fired. He sees the more grandeur long term things. I hate it as a fan and I know Spurs could've have won several of those games, particularly Hawks. But that's fools gold. He is making an impression on Lonnie to make that commitment, like Kawhi did, to earn those minutes and eclipse Marco and Forbes. It's frustrating to us fans, but I think Lonnie gets it, likewise all the young players. I think Carrol doesn't get it, so that's why he's at the bench in street clothes.

With Kawhis departure still somewhat fresh, its only natural to be worried that Pop will alienate Walker. Last thing we need to have happen is to push away another player who has potential to be a star.
Lonnie has said the right things and done all the right things.
As far as earning his minutes he has had his breakout moments already. He has been patient and has gotten better as the season has progressed. Exactly what you want to see from your young player.
Like many have said, Walker needs more playing time. Period. I want to see more 30mpg from him.

If its any injury thing that is causing his minutes to be down thats one thing but he seems to be healthy and you got to let him loose at some point if you want to see if he can be your future. Especially when you're trying to decide what to do this summer.

JuneJive
01-20-2020, 02:47 PM
He's progressing just fine.

I like the emphasis on defense.
Like he said, make it a priority, offense will come.

Where's the rush, we ain't winning shit, might as well be patient with development.

MultiTroll
01-20-2020, 04:01 PM
Most likely it is some sort of personnel commitment to the less athletic players-maybe trying to ensure their financial success in the future.
I've wondered if he was in on some vineyard investment in Europe with Pao Gasol.
Such a pathetic extension and slap in the face to those who built or contributed small or large to maintain the Duncan Dynasty and Kwa up until ZaZaCunt.

*Gasol did put in a solid half a season the year before. Was hitting treys, doing rebound work.

EasyMoney
01-20-2020, 06:51 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/NBASpurs/comments/erb4s3/might_get_downvoted_for_posting_this_but_its_the/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

I fear to see what their opinion of Brent formes is

Number 2
01-20-2020, 06:54 PM
That Pop continues on starting Forbes due to old age or loss of assistant coaches strikes me as naive. The man's been doing this at a very high level for a very long time. He may be old, but there's no way he doesn't realize when his pets are blatant weak links. But because he likes them on a personal level and he has the power to do whatever he wants, they get special treatment while everyone else has to suffer for it.

MultiTroll
01-20-2020, 08:29 PM
Meh. Summer league didn't really influence me much about her suitability as a true NBA HC. I watched every game that summer league. I thought Kyle and Simmons were gonna be Spurs TNG that summer... Hey, maybe she IS a great coach!
Gracias.
I've been wanting to hear from someone who actually saw the games.