PDA

View Full Version : Reporter asks Lonnie what Pop has told him he needs to do to get to the next level

DC23
01-19-2020, 01:49 PM

That's a mature answer. Discuss.

Genovaswitness
01-19-2020, 01:50 PM
Don’t worry Lonnie Bryn is about to get extended and play ahead of you

Mugen
01-19-2020, 01:52 PM
Get the fuck away from that organization as soon as you can, young homie.

Pop gonna cost you so much money and really ruin your game.

Spurtacular
01-19-2020, 02:32 PM
There is no excuse for Gregg to not play this guy.

Facilitate or get out of the way!

RC_Drunkford
01-19-2020, 02:36 PM
:pop: "watch Marco and Bryn play and learn from them. Especially defensively"

timvp
01-19-2020, 03:01 PM
Tbh, if Pop can make LW4 Bruce Bowen-lite on defense, everything this season will have been worth it :tu

dbestpro
01-19-2020, 03:04 PM
Pop is not making anyone any better. If anything he is holding players back in order to pay his bad Vegas debts.

Darius Bieber
01-19-2020, 03:28 PM
Let’s face it. It’s never Pop who teaches young ones anything. It’s always been the assistant coaches. Engelland, Budenholzer, Ime, etc... have done way more than Pop ever has.

tim_duncan_fan
01-19-2020, 04:38 PM
Edit: wrong thread

ginobilized
01-19-2020, 04:57 PM
That kid has a solid gold attitude to go with his amazing talent and charisma.

I hope his minutes get bumped up sooner than later.

UZER
01-19-2020, 05:05 PM
That kid has a solid gold attitude to go with his amazing talent and charisma.

I hope his minutes get bumped up sooner than later.

Hopefully sooner than too late.

dude21
01-19-2020, 05:50 PM
Get it my dude.

RC_Drunkford
01-19-2020, 05:51 PM
Tbh, if Pop can make LW4 Bruce Bowen-lite on defense, everything this season will have been worth it :tu

:lmao :lmao :lmao

I was wondering where you sniffer takes went

Mr. Body
01-19-2020, 05:55 PM
Yeah, Pop only created Kawhi Leonard.

slick'81
01-19-2020, 06:06 PM

Once the spurs win the sniffers are all coked up

apalisoc_9
01-19-2020, 06:42 PM

can make :lmao

My Fault
01-19-2020, 08:53 PM

Oh yes because you know a ton of about coaching and developing NBA players :lmao :lmao :lmao

ZeusWillJudge
01-19-2020, 09:15 PM

If only Pop would give him zero minutes, he'd be better than Kawhi and Pop could get a bonus for how successful this season is. :lol

The reporters have been asking him those kinds of loaded questions for weeks, if not months. Lonnie has been really smart with his answers.

JPB
01-19-2020, 09:20 PM
Get the fuck away from that organization as soon as you can, young homie.

Pop gonna cost you so much money and really ruin your game.

Dedmon, Simmons, Speedy Calxton, Cory Joseph, Fathead... are laughing hard right now.

DMC
01-19-2020, 09:29 PM
:pop: Take the elevator, you don't work hard enough to take the stairs.

J_Paco
01-19-2020, 11:08 PM
Dedmon, Simmons, Speedy Calxton, Cory Joseph, Fathead... are laughing hard right now.

I hope you are saying that all those guys got paid and had a semblance of a NBA career after spending time in San Antonio?

Lonnie has more natural talent than all those guys and more patience than everyone (myself included) in this thread.

I think his time will come either by the end of this season or next. Plus, people forget the knocks on Lonnie were his lack offensive awareness (poor passer in college), defensive effort & all-around acumen. He was getting comparisons to Rodney Stuckey or O.J. Mayo not a defensive - minded Zach LaVine - esque (which would be an all-star) player.

He didn't slip in the draft just because of the issues with his knee, people. Pop is trying to push him to be an all-around threat and not just a scorer (LaVine) or athlete (Johnathan Simmons).

Now, I do agree he should be starting or at the very least playing 20 - 25 minutes per night. He's too talented, athletic and dynamic a player - on a team void of those things @ the SG - to be benched in favor of fringe talents like Belinelli & Forbes.

baseline bum
01-19-2020, 11:10 PM

WTF does that matter if he's going to let Mills be his end game defensive stopper?

gambit1990
01-20-2020, 04:26 AM
that's the only thing pop can accomplish in one whole season? :lmao

John B
01-20-2020, 09:09 AM
As a fan I hate that Spurs lose because Pop’s coaching style. It’s frustrating. Yet no one can deny the improvements of these players. Say what you want, Chip, Bud, Ime. Pop is the head and makes the decision. Winning regular games does not seem that important to him. Pop knows Spurs will make the playoffs. He’s teaching Lonnie to be hungry, earn his minutes. He has. And Pop continues to push him. Lonnie will be a star, another Kawhi imo. Pop sees the potential. That’s why he’s hard on him. Carroll is not playing because he doesn’t care to win imo. Don’t get me wrong. I hate it. But that’s how I read these whole thing. Pop is teaching.

Strategic
01-20-2020, 10:12 AM
Tbh, if Pop can make LW4 Bruce Bowen-lite on defense, everything this season will have been worth it :tuNominate for post of the week. I smiled, and it made the douche bags seep. 👍👍👍

DJR210
01-20-2020, 10:39 AM
I didn't like Lonnie hanging his head after getting subbed out in the crunch time after his untimely foul.. He cussed and put his head down for a minute or so. Hope he stays hungry, him playing the final minutes in a close game is the biggest indicator of what Pop really thinks about him.

tbdog
01-20-2020, 11:08 AM
He is young and he has high expectations. Pop getting him to focus on his D this early and trusting him on good players is a good sign. Walker will be unleashed next season.

John B
01-20-2020, 11:37 AM
I hope you are saying that all those guys got paid and had a semblance of a NBA career after spending time in San Antonio?

Lonnie has more natural talent than all those guys and more patience than everyone (myself included) in this thread.

I think his time will come either by the end of this season or next. Plus, people forget the knocks on Lonnie were his lack offensive awareness (poor passer in college), defensive effort & all-around acumen. He was getting comparisons to Rodney Stuckey or O.J. Mayo not a defensive - minded Zach LaVine - esque (which would be an all-star) player.

He didn't slip in the draft just because of the issues with his knee, people. Pop is trying to push him to be an all-around threat and not just a scorer (LaVine) or athlete (Johnathan Simmons).

Now, I do agree he should be starting or at the very least playing 20 - 25 minutes per night. He's too talented, athletic and dynamic a player - on a team void of those things @ the SG - to be benched in favor of fringe talents like Belinelli & Forbes.
Agree he is pushing Lonnie to be not just a pedestrian role player, but another Kawhi. Pop sees the potential of this kid. Pop doesn’t mind losing as long as Lonnie gets it, likewise Murray and White. To play behind Forbes/Marco is tough with all his talent. But Lonnie gets it. He needs to earn his minutes. I hate it because I know Spurs could’ve won some of those games, particularly Hawks. But Pop doesn’t care about that. He has a more grandeur plan on a longer term. At least I’m trying to convince myself that :lol

rjv
01-20-2020, 11:46 AM
i'm surprised LW4 didn't defer to ST posters as the one's who have all the right answers.

timvp
01-20-2020, 08:55 PM
WTF does that matter if he's going to let Mills be his end game defensive stopper?

I'm talking long-term, tbh.

that's the only thing pop can accomplish in one whole season? :lmao

Yeah, that'd be a great accomplishment. Bowen + elite tools on offense = very much worth a season of work.

Nominate for post of the week. I smiled, and it made the douche bags seep. 👍👍👍

:sombrero:

baseline bum
01-20-2020, 09:07 PM

I was too, tbh

DPG21920
01-20-2020, 09:09 PM

Yeah, that'd be a great accomplishment. Bowen + elite tools on offense = very much worth a season of work.

:sombrero:

Are we truly sure that Lonnie couldn’t both be coached for long term and playing more now?

R. DeMurre
01-20-2020, 09:22 PM
Seems like more minutes would be kind of helpful to work on all of those things.

MultiTroll
01-20-2020, 09:47 PM
Could a reporter ask Pop what he needs to work on to reach minimum NBA coaching IQ level?

ismael-robert
01-20-2020, 10:15 PM
I will say he has the nicest moves but rarely finishes his layups so that cant help playing time