PDA

View Full Version : The Summer 2003 Sleepers

kohai
04-01-2003, 05:07 PM
The following were 2nd rounders in 2000 and should be FAs of one kind or another. If their team makes a QA, then they are restricted up to the MCE. Otherwise, they would be unrestricted.

Trenton Hassell 6'5" SG - Chicago
Gilbert Arenas 6'3" SG - GS
Terence Morris - 6'9" SF - Houston
Brian Scalabrine - 6'10" PF - NJ
Mehmet Okur - 6'10" PF - Detroit
Loren Woods - 7'1" C - Minnesota
Jarron Collins - 6'10" PF - Utah

One more intruiging prospect. If Miami wants to clear ALL of their caproom (they may need to), they'll have to decline their year 2 option on him. He was a 2002 2nd round pick, and is still rough, but with potential. Miami may feel that they have the wing covered with that "other" Butler guy. :lol Rasual has stepped in and done some nice work when he got minutes in place of Caron earlier in the year, and EJ later in the year. He is just the type of scrapheap steal that Pop specializes in rehabbing with a year on IR, then some playing time after he learns the system.

Rasual Butler 6'7" SG/SF - Miami

Editor's note: These players would be roster fill outs and/or developmental types.

timvp
04-01-2003, 05:17 PM
Nice thread:hat2

Hassell is an awesome defender and I think he'd be a good fit on the Spurs. The only question I have about him is he might be too limited offensively.

Arenas would demand big time money, but he's someone to look at.

TMorris has hurt the Spurs the last couple times the Rockets have faced them. He has a rep for being lazy though and he is best friends with Francis, so look for him to stay a Rocket.

The Spurs liked Scalabrine in that draft. He's a very good passer for his size. I don't know if he's athletic enough to be much more than a 10th man, but the Spurs will probably look at him.

Loren Woods is a nut case. Next.

Jarron Collins is out for the season with knee injury but he played better than his twin last season. He could be a nice steal.

Rasual Butler has potential. He's played well, epecially considering that Riley hates to play rookies.

The player that intrigues me most on that list is Mehmet Okur. The times I've seen him play, I've been very impressed. He has great size and looks to have a bright future. I'm pretty sure this is his rookie season so I'm not sure what his contract status is. Do you now, kohai?

Patrick Davis
04-01-2003, 05:22 PM
I like how Hassell plays, he did well last season when he started for the Bulls.

I haven't seen too much of Okur, but if timvp says he's good, he probably is. i'll keep an eye out for him on sunday.

kohai
04-01-2003, 06:16 PM
timvp - Thanks for the props, but I had to do something, bro. You had the regular, big time FAs throughly analyzed already. :lol

My bad on Okur. It is his rookie season because Detroit waited one year to bring him over. He will only be a FA if they decline his option and renounce. Unless they are looking to clear caproom, they probably won't do that. That was my caveat on Butler as well, although Miami may decide to clear the caproom. Not really sure what Detroit's deal is. They were supposed to have caproom, but I think that they extended Uncle Cliffy. :shock

Who will be this year's Malik Rose, or Stephen Jackson?

Question.

timvp
04-01-2003, 06:20 PM
Too bad Okur won't be a FA. The Pistons are sure to pick up his option.

Who will be this year's Malik Rose, or Stephen Jackson?

I like Hassell, Scalabrine and Collins in that order.

kohai
04-01-2003, 07:06 PM
What about Rod Grizzard, timvp? You like? He was a projected first rounder that was injured before the draft, just slipped into the second round (#39), and was drafted by the Wiz, thereby entangling him in a numbers game, since they had a bevy of already guaranteed contracts. I think he had a cup of coffee in Atlanta, but is currently without a team.

timvp
04-01-2003, 08:03 PM
Grizzard is a balla who can't really ball. He has a lot of skill, but is too frail for the NBA. He might be able to build his body and his game overseas or in the NBDL and make the league in a few years, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

KoriEllis
04-01-2003, 08:39 PM
Trenton Hassell 6'5" SG - Chicago -- Like timvp said, he has the rep of a good defender. But I don't think the Spurs need a shooting guard who can't shoot.

Gilbert Arenas 6'3" SG - GS -- I think the Spurs will definitely look at him. He may be overpriced. I know that he's a great scorer, but I am not sold on his defense, attitude or work ethic.

Terence Morris - 6'9" SF - Houston -- I haven't seen much of this guy. He seems to be streaky and inconsisent, but so has been his playing time. Some nights he gets 20+ minutes, some nights DNP, so he's hard to judge.

Brian Scalabrine - 6'10" PF - NJ -- I didn't like this guy in college and I don't like him now.

Loren Woods - 7'1" C - Minnesota -- Take two prozac and call me in the morning.

Jarron Collins - 6'10" PF - Utah -- I have a hard time keeping the brothers straight. If this is the better one from last season's stats, then I think he's worth taking a chance on. He has size and strength and with some coaching could round into a good back-up role player.

timvp
04-01-2003, 10:15 PM
That Collins was drafted much later than his twin, but played better last season. But the other twin is the one who is more highly regarded.

I'm confused:drunk

Brian Scalabrine - 6'10" PF - NJ -- I didn't like this guy in college and I don't like him now.

Of course you didn't like him, Mrs. UCLA Princess. He went to USC.

baseline bum
04-16-2003, 01:28 PM
Okur is way too good of a player for Detroit to not pick their option up on him. They're grooing him as their 4 of the future, and he's going to be a really good player.

NCaliSpurs
04-16-2003, 01:58 PM
It is a shame about Jarron Collins.

Last year I ran into him at a bar in Palo Alto. We chatted and he raved about how great Tim Duncan was when I brought up their losses to San Antonio (I got to watch those games live).

A really nice guy. I hope he recovers, but he has always been injury prone, which is one of the reasons he was drafted later.

timvp
04-17-2003, 02:36 PM
Yeah, Jarron Collins could be a nice steal. He's coming off an injury, but played well in his rookie season. He even played better than his twin, who was picked about 40 spots sooner in the draft.

Nbadan
05-19-2003, 05:23 AM
There are more talented International Sleepers that have been completely left off the list...curious considering the high number of euro prospects that will be drafted this season alone and the Spurs success with Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili

What about..

Dejan Bodiroga, SF, Yugoslavia

The line: 6-8, 230, 29-year-old. Drafted No. 51 by the Kings in the 1995 NBA Draft

The skinny: The Euroleague MVP for the second straight year, Bodiroga has shrugged off offers from NBA teams in the past. Both the Rockets and Raptors were willing to trade for his rights last season, but neither team was willing to pony up the cash it would take to bring him here. With a second straight Euroleague championship under his belt, is this the year Bodiroga decides to play in the NBA? He's under contract one more year with Barcelona, but he can get out of it in the right situation. He'd be a great fit on a team like the Lakers. Is there any team willing to pay the price to find out? He'd probably command close to the full-mid level exception to play in th

Nbadan
05-19-2003, 05:29 AM
Or if your looking for prospects in this years draft how about

Victor Khryapa, Russia*[/b]

The line: 6-9, 225, 21 years old
The skinny: Gets a lot of comparisons to Andrei Kirilenko. Both players are long and mutli-dimensional. Khryapa impressed NBA scouts when he subbed for an injured Kirilenko for Team Russia during the World Championships. He's a good shooter with NBA range. However, he's not quite the athlete that Kirilenko is, nor is he quite as polished as his European counterparts. He also has to get stronger to compete at the next level. With all that said, most teams still consider him a great prospect. He'll likely be a late first-rounder.

this kidd could be big-time someday. Consider..

His length and athleticism for someone his size is impressive. He proved to be a very good rebounder, especially on the offensive glass. He didn't take a lot of shots, but it was pretty clear he could shoot the ball.

Khryapa's numbers this year haven't been impressive, but they are deceiving. Moscow coach Dusan Ivkovic deliberately has been keeping Khryapa's minutes down to keep his head from swelling. Kirilenko told Insider in February that he was concerned Khryapa had become so obsessed with the NBA that his game was sufferi

SpursBloke
05-23-2003, 01:10 PM
I'll be extremely suprised if Rasual Butler goes anywhere. He far exceeded expectations for the Heat and is at bargain price

Mark in Austin
06-18-2003, 02:07 AM
Bodiroga will never play in the NBA. He's content to be a big fish in a small pond.

mattyc2422
06-30-2003, 07:07 AM
I'd happily, happily welcome the Spurs to have a look at Rasual Butler. He is a good height, and while he is not outstanding at any aspects of the game, he is a capable performer.

He impressed me alot this season, so I presume the Heat will keep him to form a youthful policy with Caron Butler and Wade, but if on the off chance he is not snapped up, I'd be pretty interested.

mattyc2422
07-01-2003, 04:11 AM
The Heat picked up their option on Rasual today, but Ellis, House and James are all Free Agents.

I'd consider Ellis as a bench veteran guy, but House is way too streaky for my liking and Jack offers more.