PDA

View Full Version : Is Forbes the worst starter in Spurs history?

mexicanjunior
01-24-2020, 11:05 PM
I think even Vinny Del Negro brought more to the table...

dbestpro
01-24-2020, 11:40 PM
Yes. He is.

Budkin
01-24-2020, 11:42 PM
Without a doubt.

ZeusWillJudge
01-24-2020, 11:44 PM
Yes

spurs1990
01-24-2020, 11:49 PM
Here's a list of every Spur ever. He's ranked 49th in terms of games played in San Antonio.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/players.html

Not only is he the worst starter since Robinson's rookie year, he's probably the worst player all time with 100+ appearances in Silver and Black. This is not hyperbole.

cool cat
01-24-2020, 11:54 PM
Lyles says hello.

SpurPadre
01-24-2020, 11:55 PM
Matt Bonner started at some point too, tbh.

RC_Drunkford
01-24-2020, 11:59 PM
100%

tholdren
01-25-2020, 12:00 AM
No murray.

Play Boban
01-25-2020, 12:03 AM
Keith “The Centerpiece” Bogans tbqh.

SpurPadre
01-25-2020, 12:05 AM
Dick Jefferson was the most egregious considering the hype and price tag but he was still a legitimate NBA player for us, unlike this piece of shit.

Arcadian
01-25-2020, 12:06 AM
Forbes and Lyles are both in the running. Neither of them should be starting. Go back to starting White and Poeltl instead. They were both full-time starters last season and handled it well.

Texas_Ranger
01-25-2020, 12:13 AM
no, but he is in the top 5 for sure.

rudwick
01-25-2020, 12:51 AM
I think so.

Ninja Roach
01-25-2020, 12:52 AM
Just off the top of my head

Vinny

Carl Herrera
Ngele Knight
Chris Whitney
Greg Anderson
Lloyd Daniels

Pinche Puro Noobs up in here.

Spurtacular
01-25-2020, 12:53 AM
Matt Bonner started at some point too, tbh.

I would take Bonner over Forbes all day long.

Spurtacular
01-25-2020, 12:54 AM
https://youtu.be/D9veE_Y6NZc
https://youtu.be/D9veE_Y6NZc

Bryn Looses the Game and Gets a Pat on the ass From Daddy Super Cut.

Also Pop finds a way not to blame forbes in his post game statement, he took no questions and the "media" was to chicken shit to ask...

Pet?

Damn, you're bringing the ST terms to the YT.

You might want to tone it down to not get your vids pulled though, tbh.

JeffDuncan
01-25-2020, 01:30 AM
Lyles says hello.

Nope, Lyles is, at least, an excellent rebounder, and he's pretty consistent at it. His rebounding stats are better than LMA or Poeltl, on the basis of minutes, or possessions. So Lyles does something well, anyway, that helps the team.

But Forbes...

cool cat
01-25-2020, 01:56 AM
Nope, Lyles is, at least, an excellent rebounder, and he's pretty consistent at it. His rebounding stats are better than LMA or Poeltl, on the basis of minutes, or possessions. So Lyles does something well, anyway, that helps the team.

But Forbes...

There are at least 2 or 3 games where Bryn shooting won us the game or at least kept us in. Lyles “excellent” rebounding has never done that. The guy is garbage. Gross i feel dirty now for having to defend Bryn.

lefty
01-25-2020, 03:09 AM

Vinny

Carl Herrera
Ngele Knight
Chris Whitney
Tony Parker
Greg Anderson
Lloyd Daniels

Good times

MannyIsGod
01-25-2020, 03:24 AM

At least he played Defense. Forbes is fucking awful. Bogans was the only other one I could think of that was this bad but Forbes is another level of awful.

KobesAchilles
01-25-2020, 03:43 AM
Ime Udoka tbh. He was so shitty. Also Keith Bogans. Didn’t Lloyd Daniels start a few games? I feel like he did

Spurtacular
01-25-2020, 03:46 AM
There are at least 2 or 3 games where Bryn shooting won us the game or at least kept us in. Lyles “excellent” rebounding has never done that. The guy is garbage. Gross i feel dirty now for having to defend Bryn.

Even games Forbes has his "Baby Curry" games the team is often at only even or net negative because his defense is so bad, tbh. Using him anything other than spot minutes just shows how bad a coach Gregg is, tbh.

SpursRussia
01-25-2020, 05:43 AM
Probably in the history of the league if you consider MPG also

slick'81
01-25-2020, 05:45 AM
And easily most hated

r0drig0lac
01-25-2020, 06:52 AM
In nba history

tbdog
01-25-2020, 07:11 AM
Since I followed them on TV, around the year 2001, maybe Bogans is worse. Fuck, even Mason was a better starter.

FkLA
01-25-2020, 07:13 AM

Bogans only used to play the beginning of halves though. He'd play like 6-7 mins in the 1st and 3rd Qtrs, for a total of ~15 mpg.

G-league Brent is third on the team in mpg and closes pretty much every game. Poop really does think he's Curry lite.

Chomag
01-25-2020, 07:34 AM
I would argue that he is the worst ever NBA starter

JeffDuncan
01-25-2020, 07:50 AM
There are at least 2 or 3 games where Bryn shooting won us the game or at least kept us in. ...

You're brain damaged.

You really believe that? Specify one of those alleged games and let's take a look at it.

Lyles “excellent” rebounding has never done that. ...

You are full of chicken feathers. You're one of those simple minded goobers who only looks at points scored in the boxscore and thinks that's how the game was won.

paperboy77
01-25-2020, 09:49 AM
Pretty obvious. More obvious is the he doesn’t have to be.

paperboy77
01-25-2020, 10:04 AM

Vinny

Carl Herrera
Ngele Knight
Chris Whitney
Greg Anderson
Lloyd Daniels

Except for Vinny, I think all these other guys were spot starters and teams that sucked. Lloyd did suck but he had a good backstory and many thought he might wind up being good. Hate Vinny on this list because he’s he wasn’t great but the guy was automatic with his jumpers. Also had a liiiittle bit grit in him.

For a Spurs team that seems to obviously be a Bryn Forbes injury away from being a descent squad... Bryn is far and away the worst due to his “essential player” status.

sananspursfan21
01-25-2020, 10:12 AM
Keith Bogans and it’s not close. I’m sick of Forbes too but Bogans is gonna be near impossible to top

JeffDuncan
01-25-2020, 10:41 AM
Keith Bogans and it’s not close. I’m sick of Forbes too but Bogans is gonna be near impossible to top

Bogans played only one year for the Spurs, in 79 games, and less than 20 minutes per game.

Forbes has been around for four stinkin' years, and for the last two he's been playing well over 20 minutes per game.

For trivia nuts: during his time with the Spurs, Bogans had a FG% of 40.3. Forbes' current FG%? - 40.3.

Drom John
01-25-2020, 11:17 AM
Basketball-Reference
For combined seasons; played in the NBA/BAA; in the regular season; from 1946-47 to 2019-20; playing for the San Antonio Spurs (Tex/Dal); requiring Games Started >= 82; sorted by ascending Win Shares Per 48 Minutes

1) 0.62 Bryn Forbes
2) 0.63 Greg Anderson
3) 0.71 Johnny Dawkins
4) 0.77 Dejounte Murray
5) 0.78 Walter Berry

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-25-2020, 11:26 AM
Basketball-Reference
For combined seasons; played in the NBA/BAA; in the regular season; from 1946-47 to 2019-20; playing for the San Antonio Spurs (Tex/Dal); requiring Games Started >= 82; sorted by ascending Win Shares Per 48 Minutes

1) 0.62 Bryn Forbes
2) 0.63 Greg Anderson
3) 0.71 Johnny Dawkins
4) 0.77 Dejounte Murray
5) 0.78 Walter Berry

damn

GAustex
01-25-2020, 11:28 AM
For the money Murray is a problem.

sananspursfan21
01-25-2020, 11:30 AM
Bogans played only one year for the Spurs, in 79 games, and less than 20 minutes per game.

Forbes has been around for four stinkin' years, and for the last two he's been playing well over 20 minutes per game.

For trivia nuts: during his time with the Spurs, Bogans had a FG% of 40.3. Forbes' current FG%? - 40.3.

:wow

Russ
01-25-2020, 11:42 AM
Antonio Daniels comes to mind. (A teenage rookie took Daniels' starting job pretty quickly.)

John B
01-25-2020, 12:02 PM
Zarko Paspalj had more fight than this shit

EasyMoney
01-25-2020, 12:04 PM
https://twitter.com/RealTomPetrini/status/1221109369108078594?s=19

Sick to my stomach

Leetonidas
01-25-2020, 12:06 PM
Yeah it's easily Forbes. At least some of the other trash players we started had one or two useful traits. Forbes is a "floor spacer" that can't even shoot 40% from deep and plays some of the worst defense in league history. His only reason for playing and he is barely average at it :lol he is 100% fucking worthless and a massive negative every second he's out there

Prime BEEF
01-25-2020, 12:22 PM
Yes he is. Need to trade him now while other teams still value him and let White start. Or use him to try and trade up to get Haliburton. Really wish the spurs could bring him in. He has all of the tools. Same size as Murray but can pass and shoot and his defensive numbers are better than Murray’s in college.

UZER
01-25-2020, 12:30 PM
I love Belli, warts and all. I’m aware of his defensive flaws. But the man has proven himself throughout his NBA. He’s got no fear and can be cold blooded sometimes with big shots. Not as often these day I know I know.

To me, Belli is still a serviceable bench option. Not major minutes, but spot minutes against certain opponents. But it’s not his fault he’s out there with Mills and Forbes all the time where you cannot cover up some of his flaws.

With that said, I cannot stand Forbes. He has done nothing significant...ever. He’s short, slow, unathletic, can’t defend, can’t rebound, can’t live up to his practice shooting reputation, etc etc. He is a 12th man at best. He does not deserve the playing time he gets from Pop. WTF is Pop thinking running this dude out there game after game for so many minutes. It is an extremely fireable offense for any other coach. Pop shouldn’t be fired because of everything he means to the city/franchise, but dammit that does not make his decisions with Forbes excusable! Forbes playing so many minutes makes Belli pretty much unplayable on this team.

R. DeMurre
01-25-2020, 12:46 PM
Basketball reference shows another Spur-- Devin Brown-- as one of the closest comparisons in terms of similar Win Shares. But Brown-- not a starter-- could be hidden/useful with guys like Duncan and Ginobili. Pairing Forbes with a pseudo star like DeRozan is a worst case scenario. They're both poor defenders, and DeRozan's complete lack of three point shooting gives the opposing defense one less thing to worry about. It's mind-boggling how Pop has gone from a Defense First coach to a guy who has no issues with putting three terrible defenders on the floor together at the same time. I just don't understand it.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/forbebr01.html

Leetonidas
01-25-2020, 12:49 PM

Murray is still on his rookie deal. So no not yet. Players that miss an entire season due to injury usually don't come back to 100% the first season back. I'll wait to reserve judgment until this time next season

tholdren
01-25-2020, 12:58 PM
Basketball reference shows another Spur-- Devin Brown-- as one of the closest comparisons in terms of similar Win Shares. But Brown-- not a starter-- could be hidden/useful with guys like Duncan and Ginobili. Pairing Forbes with a pseudo star like DeRozan is a worst case scenario. They're both poor defenders, and DeRozan's complete lack of three point shooting gives the opposing defense one less thing to worry about. It's mind-boggling how Pop has gone from a Defense First coach to a guy who has no issues with putting three terrible defenders on the floor together at the same time. I just don't understand it.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/forbebr01.html

How about lonnie Walker's win share? Marco win share? Gay win share? Bryn Forbes has one job to hit threes at a 40 percent rate. If it falls below that at the end of the year, then yes, he should be scaled back.

Until Lonnie can consistently outplay him, marco or mills.on a regular basis then the point is moot. Lonnie has had his chances to earn the spot, hes just really a worse energy guy than blair who somehow has earned the love of spurs fans. Hes a high usage player who cant make fts, is one of the spurs lowest 2% fg perimeter players (which is supposedly his strength) and again just a dumb player who cant move without the ball or be in position off ball defensively. Its laughable because spurstalk said IG baller would be the man this year. Same overrated overhyped by fans who cherish dunks over actual skilled, intelligent play.

Chomag
01-25-2020, 01:03 PM
Most coaches would have been fired if they continued to trot out Forbes as a starter and getting major rotational minutes....just saying.

Joseph Kony
01-25-2020, 01:04 PM
How about lonnie Walker's win share? Marco win share? Gay win share? Bryn Forbes has one job to hit threes at a 40 percent rate. If it falls below that at the end of the year, then yes, he should be scaled back.

Until Lonnie can consistently outplay him, marco or mills.on a regular basis then the point is moot. Lonnie has had his chances to earn the spot, hes just really a worse energy guy than blair who somehow has earned the love of spurs fans. Hes a high usage player who cant make fts, is one of the spurs lowest 2% fg perimeter players (which is supposedly his strength) and again just a dumb player who cant move without the ball or be in position off ball defensively. Its laughable because spurstalk said IG baller would be the man this year. Same overrated overhyped by fans who cherish dunks over actual skilled, intelligent play.
its laughable how little you know about basketball. lmao stupid old fart. go knit something

and by the way - forbes is shooting 36% from deep if you havent noticed :lmao

Russ
01-25-2020, 01:05 PM
And easily most hated

That part seems true.

Joseph Kony
01-25-2020, 01:07 PM
"bad" three point shooting "instagram baller" only shooting 2% worse from deep than our "floor spacer" :lmao :lmao

Chomag
01-25-2020, 01:08 PM
That part seems true. Well to be fair as a Spurs fan it's very hard to stomach watching Forbes being used as an advantage for the opposing team. Tbh

RC_Drunkford
01-25-2020, 01:13 PM
https://twitter.com/RealTomPetrini/status/1221109369108078594?s=19

Sick to my stomach

wow, how can one player give up 36 Points!!!!! Yeah right 36!!! In a game the team lost by 4. He gave up 33 on defense and the travel cost us another 3. Flopovich, worst coach of the league. Don't debate me. I'd rather have Jim Boylen

itzsoweezee
01-25-2020, 01:23 PM
The problem isn't only that he starts, but he starts AND plays a ton of minutes. He has not wavered from dumping minutes on Forbes all year. It is absolutely mind boggling. If there is one thing popovich is absolutely certain about this season, it is that Forbes is the most important player on this team outside of LMA and DeRozan. What a fucking dipshit

SayTown
01-25-2020, 02:19 PM
How many of you pop suckers are going to meet your favorite spur at Wingstop today?

cool cat
01-25-2020, 02:19 PM
Even games Forbes has his "Baby Curry" games the team is often at only even or net negative because his defense is so bad, tbh. Using him anything other than spot minutes just shows how bad a coach Gregg is, tbh.

Yes i agree 100%. But i could say the same thing using Lyles but its worse.

Even games Lyles has his “Baby Rodman” games the team is often even or net negative because his defense & offense is so bad, tbh. Using him anytime other than spot minutes just shows how bad a coach Gregg is, tbh.

The difference though is Lyles has never had a “baby Rodman” game.

Spurtacular
01-25-2020, 02:31 PM
Yes i agree 100%. But i could say the same thing using Lyles but its worse.

Even games Lyles has his “Baby Rodman” games the team is often even or net negative because his defense & offense is so bad, tbh. Using him anytime other than spot minutes just shows how bad a coach Gregg is, tbh.

The difference though is Lyles has never had a “baby Rodman” game.

Lyles has started 34 games. I didn't realize it was so damn high 'til I just looked. Geez, Gregg is an f'ing bad coach. I had him pegged as an 11th man at best preseason and only a miniscule percent of compensation for the loss of Bertans/Morris. At least, he's playing 8 mpg less than Forbes though. I haven't really examined Lyles so much because I thought he was getting less play. I just don't think it gets worse than Forbes though. He's an everyday man that has no business trying to contain world class athletes.

TD 21
01-25-2020, 05:04 PM
Yes he is. Need to trade him now while other teams still value him and let White start. Or use him to try and trade up to get Haliburton. Really wish the spurs could bring him in. He has all of the tools. Same size as Murray but can pass and shoot and his defensive numbers are better than Murray’s in college.

I don't think other teams ever really valued him. His archetype is generally a journeymen backup, not a core building block.

The arrogance, stubbornness and desperation of this organization has led them to believe they could help turn him into the latter simply because he was under their watchful eye.

The reality is, there's no substitute for talent and he just doesn't possess nearly enough of it when it comes to virtually anything having to do with easily the most important part of his position: half court offense.

Now that White is presumably healthy again, he's easily better and is often playing more and closing, so why shouldn't his agent be looking for a bigger contract and why should this organization tie up something like $35 million annually in two non stars, who play an over saturated position?

They might be stuck with Murray, but either way, they shouldn't hesitate to pick a point/combo in the lottery.

"bad" three point shooting "instagram baller" only shooting 2% worse from deep than our "floor spacer" :lmao
:lmao

Sure, but to be fair, the discrepancy in volume and degree of difficulty plays a significant role in that.

SpurPadre
01-25-2020, 05:06 PM
Murray is still on his rookie deal. So no not yet. Players that miss an entire season due to injury usually don't come back to 100% the first season back. I'll wait to reserve judgment until this time next season

This 100X.

Bonner and Forbes are neck and neck for worst starters in Spurs history, tbh.

Prime BEEF
01-25-2020, 06:00 PM
I don't think other teams ever really valued him. His archetype is generally a journeymen backup, not a core building block.

The arrogance, stubbornness and desperation of this organization has led them to believe they could help turn him into the latter simply because he was under their watchful eye.

The reality is, there's no substitute for talent and he just doesn't possess nearly enough of it when it comes to virtually anything having to do with easily the most important part of his position: half court offense.

Now that White is presumably healthy again, he's easily better and is often playing more and closing, so why shouldn't his agent be looking for a bigger contract and why should this organization tie up something like $35 million annually in two non stars, who play an over saturated position?

They might be stuck with Murray, but either way, they shouldn't hesitate to pick a point/combo in the lottery.

Sure, but to be fair, the discrepancy in volume and degree of difficulty plays a significant role in that.

good take. But there’s always some poorly run team that would love to get him.

Some were wondering why he signed that contract when he’s could easily get paid more. Maybe it’s cuz he and his agent know exactly what he is and they took advantage of the FO. Pretty funny how some thought it was the other way around.

UZER
01-25-2020, 06:16 PM

Exactly. I want Murray to be better right now too, but coming back from an acl tear usually takes until the 2nd year to get all the explosion back. One guy that comes to mind is Russell Westbrook. You could just tell when he first came back, it was there but not all they way there and it effected his overall play.

But I also think him struggling like he has this season is a real wake up call for him to really work on his game this off season, not just instagram work on his game. Hopefully it will humble him a little bit. So I’ll give him another year before final throwing him under the bus.

Slippy
01-25-2020, 06:23 PM
Watching that video is so infuriating. I'm going through the same shit that got me so fustrated yesterday. Its all there. Not surprised Bryn hasn't fouled out. Many of those plays he literally gives up letting his man go, leaving for his teammates. The hard working Bryn is gone. Coaching staff need to be on this . You can't ignore this shit.

said7
01-25-2020, 07:05 PM
For starters at least Bonner would rebound and play passable defense. I would absolutely love to know what he teammates think about him getting that many minutes. Especially if it's so evident to the fans. Total hipocracy from pop who would have railed someone like Danny green for playing shit defense.

Seriously... What do you think white and walker think of this?

UZER
01-25-2020, 07:35 PM
Watching that video is so infuriating. I'm going through the same shit that got me so fustrated yesterday. Its all there. Not surprised Bryn hasn't fouled out. Many of those plays he literally gives up letting his man go, leaving for his teammates. The hard working Bryn is gone. Coaching staff need to be on this . You can't ignore this shit.

Very true. You see how much he pouts when he gets taken out of games. He ain't never getting himself in foul trouble trying to play defense. :lol

weeks
01-25-2020, 07:49 PM
no mention of Ayres??

forbes is seriously upsetting though. far beyond any player i can remember. i just loathe everything about him, even when he makes shots it makes me more upset

JeffDuncan
01-25-2020, 08:28 PM
Bonner and Forbes are neck and neck for worst starters in Spurs history, tbh.

What are some of you people smoking?

Bonner started a significant number of games only one season, 2008-9. He played fewer minutes per game that season than Forbes is now.

Bonner had a FG% that year of 49.6, a 2pt% of 55.2, and a 3pt % of 44.0. Compare to Forbes' current 40.3, 46.8, and 36.7.

Bonner shot .457 from 3pt range in 2010-11, btw. League leader that year.

Bonner was no great defender, but he did have some height and mass, so he wasn't just a traffic cone all the time like Forbes. As a starter that year Bonner was vastly better than Forbes is. Forbes is nowhere close.

The knock against Bonner was in how Pop held on to him long after he was a useful player. It turned out to be about four seasons too long. Forbes is far more harmful as a starter than Bonner was while sitting on the bench for several seasons.

JeffDuncan
01-25-2020, 08:38 PM
no mention of Ayres??

Not worth mentioning. He was here for two seasons, played 13.5 minutes per game the first season, and 7.5 mpg the 2nd season. Like trying to complain about Carroll versus Forbes.

BackHome
01-25-2020, 08:42 PM
To be Honest it’s not the players you should hate it’s the coach who puts them in situations which make them sucks pisses me off. I remember Poop would always player Bonner at Center a lot guarding Shaq etc. or play him against really athletic players and off course he got destroyed and off course Poop kept him on the team 3 years to long but that’s not Bonner fault. The same for FORBES he should be getting 7 to 10 minutes a game max he should be your 13th to 15th spot player.

NASpurs
01-25-2020, 08:45 PM
Pop has ALWAYS had at least one absolute scrub that he gives heavy minutes to and you just end up scratching your head.

TimDunkem
01-25-2020, 08:51 PM
What are some of you people smoking?

Bonner started a significant number of games only one season, 2008-9. He played fewer minutes per game that season than Forbes is now.

Bonner had a FG% that year of 49.6, a 2pt% of 55.2, and a 3pt % of 44.0. Compare to Forbes' current 40.3, 46.8, and 36.7.

Bonner shot .457 from 3pt range in 2010-11, btw. League leader that year.

Bonner was no great defender, but he did have some height and mass, so he wasn't just a traffic cone all the time like Forbes. As a starter that year Bonner was vastly better than Forbes is. Forbes is nowhere close.

The knock against Bonner was in how Pop held on to him long after he was a useful player. It turned out to be about four seasons too long. Forbes is far more harmful as a starter than Bonner was while sitting on the bench for several seasons.

This is completely correct. How times have changed...We used to think Bonner was bad (and the situation with him indeed was), but could we ever conceive of someone this awful ever having the leash Forbes does? I wish we had a Bonner problem over the Brent Formes problem we have now.

TimDunkem
01-25-2020, 08:52 PM
To be Honest it’s not the players you should hate it’s the coach who puts them in situations which make them sucks pisses me off. I remember Poop would always player Bonner at Center a lot guarding Shaq etc. or play him against really athletic players and off course he got destroyed and off course Poop kept him on the team 3 years to long but that’s not Bonner fault. The same for FORBES he should be getting 7 to 10 minutes a game max he should be your 13th to 15th spot player.

He doesn't even belong in the NBA let alone deserve 7-10 mpg.

JeffDuncan
01-25-2020, 08:56 PM
This is completely correct. How times have changed...We used to think Bonner was bad (and the situation with him indeed was), but could we ever conceive of someone this awful ever having the leash Forbes does? I wish we had a Bonner problem over the Brent Formes problem we have now.

Yeah, gosh, who would have thought at the time we'd ever look at the Bonner situation as "the good old days."

Spurtacular
01-25-2020, 09:51 PM
Not worth mentioning. He was here for two seasons, played 13.5 minutes per game the first season, and 7.5 mpg the 2nd season. Like trying to complain about Carroll versus Forbes.

Ayres wasn't a consistent starter. And relative to the options in starts, I like Ayres and not Forbes. Sitting IV for Forbes is just blatant.

itzsoweezee
01-25-2020, 09:51 PM
Pop has ALWAYS had at least one absolute scrub that he gives heavy minutes to and you just end up scratching your head.

True, but the amount of minutes Forbes gets is even worse than usual.

Ninja Roach
01-25-2020, 10:44 PM
Except for Vinny, I think all these other guys were spot starters and teams that sucked. Lloyd did suck but he had a good backstory and many thought he might wind up being good. Hate Vinny on this list because he’s he wasn’t great but the guy was automatic with his jumpers. Also had a liiiittle bit grit in him.

For a Spurs team that seems to obviously be a Bryn Forbes injury away from being a descent squad... Bryn is far and away the worst due to his “essential player” status.
Toe on the Line Vinny lost us so many games because he had no 3 ball. We got wrecked consistently by the Jazz because he didn't have Hornacek's range and he couldn't even pretend to be a capable defender. Vinny was awful.

Edit: Are you implying this team doesn't suck. This is the most gutless, heartless, soft, bitchmade team I've seen since the Bonner/Blair/Neal lineup that led us to an upset in the first round against Memphis.

Saw you think Vinny had grit too. Man, you and I were watching two different players.

Ninja Roach
01-25-2020, 10:46 PM
Good times

:drunk

Capt Bringdown
01-25-2020, 11:03 PM
Exactly. I want Murray to be better right now too, but coming back from an acl tear usually takes until the 2nd year to get all the explosion back. One guy that comes to mind is Russell Westbrook. You could just tell when he first came back, it was there but not all they way there and it effected his overall play.

But I also think him struggling like he has this season is a real wake up call for him to really work on his game this off season, not just instagram work on his game. Hopefully it will humble him a little bit. So I’ll give him another year before final throwing him under the bus.

Murray's lack of explosion isn't the problem, it's his lack of court sense and pretty much everything else that makes an effective starting point guard.

MannyIsGod
01-25-2020, 11:12 PM

I hated Bogans but his defense alone makes him better. Look at the advanced stats. You're right that it's not even close but not in Forbes favor. Bogans at least had a positive VORP and BPM

MannyIsGod
01-25-2020, 11:16 PM
Anyone who answered anyone but Forbes in this thread really has no idea how awful Forbes has been this season. Right now Pop is giving a player that is incredibly below average the 3rd most minutes and at this time it's killing this team.

DRob_50
01-25-2020, 11:47 PM
I think even Vinny Del Negro brought more to the table...
Vinny brought 10 times more to the table.
If we are talking about worst starter when there were no major injuries then I’d have to say Bogans by a mile. The guy was so useless that we were practically playing with 4 players. Forbes would be a distant second.

If we include emergency starting lineups due to major injuries, we have to consider the likes of Corey Alexander, Charles “Spider” Smith, Felton Spencer, James Anderson and Cherokee Parks.

Kobe'sAchilles
01-26-2020, 01:03 AM
Toe on the Line Vinny lost us so many games because he had no 3 ball. We got wrecked consistently by the Jazz because he didn't have Hornacek's range and he couldn't even pretend to be a capable defender. Vinny was awful.

Edit: Are you implying this team doesn't suck. This is the most gutless, heartless, soft, bitchmade team I've seen since the Bonner/Blair/Neal lineup that led us to an upset in the first round against Memphis.

Saw you think Vinny had grit too. Man, you and I were watching two different players.

tbh Vinny got all the ladies. Guy was a chick magnet

paperboy77
01-26-2020, 01:44 AM

Well... the Vinny years were pitiful just as much as any year without DRob or TD. Outside of those years the spurs sucked like any other shitty team without real hope. Having said that each season is relative in the grand scheme of things.

This years team you gotta admit was pretty good as last years in the PO's was. Same team this year except Pop being stupid. Yes we aren't going to ring this year but there's hope to make some noise IFF Pop can get his head out of his ass.

BTW we got wrecked by the Jazz cuz Drob never really had it. He could never win his individual match up.

I was about 13 back then so I call this dispute a draw or "Incomplete"! Cheers guy!

Spurtacular
01-26-2020, 05:45 AM
Anyone who answered anyone but Forbes in this thread really has no idea how awful Forbes has been this season. Right now Pop is giving a player that is incredibly below average the 3rd most minutes and at this time it's killing this team.

DJR210
01-26-2020, 09:09 AM
Starting Lyles over Poeltl pisses me off more tbh.. I read he was the 4th rated defensive big a couple weeks back, and I thought Pop valued that. But Lyles continues to eat up minutes while not being very good at anything. Even Ayers had a signature clap move

JeffDuncan
01-26-2020, 03:17 PM
Starting Lyles over Poeltl pisses me off more tbh.. I read he was the 4th rated defensive big a couple weeks back, and I thought Pop valued that. But Lyles continues to eat up minutes while not being very good at anything. Even Ayers had a signature clap move

I don't get why people keep lying about Lyles. Just because he's a Spur, I guess, and it's a Spurstalk tradition to lie about Spurs players.

He is an outstanding rebounder. Yes, in fact, Lyles is good at something.

DJR210
01-26-2020, 04:10 PM
I don't get why people keep lying about Lyles. Just because he's a Spur, I guess, and it's a Spurstalk tradition to lie about Spurs players.

He is an outstanding rebounder. Yes, in fact, Lyles is good at something.

I'll give him that.. he gets rebounds.

TD 21
01-26-2020, 08:17 PM
good take. But there’s always some poorly run team that would love to get him.

Some were wondering why he signed that contract when he’s could easily get paid more. Maybe it’s cuz he and his agent know exactly what he is and they took advantage of the FO. Pretty funny how some thought it was the other way around.

I'm not saying that he's unmovable, just that they probably wouldn't get anything worth their while.

rudwick
01-26-2020, 09:38 PM
I think all our starters should play less and our backups more.

Slippy
01-27-2020, 03:20 AM
Bryn got posted up twice by kyle Lowrey . Both were easy scores where Forms was just overwhelmed. Let that sink in Kyle Lowrey whos an inch taller.. Pop complained to refs that's it's unfair. Haha it so comical. Saw him do the same when Booker abused Bryn in the post. He also, Looked to the refs for a bailout.

For Pop, sun shines out of Bryns ass. Thats all I got to say.

Brazil
01-27-2020, 07:31 AM
no he is not... and it's not even close :lol