PDA

View Full Version : 2020-21 Team Roster

bluebellmaniac
01-25-2020, 06:16 AM
Time to start prognosticating on next year's roster.

Here is who we have signed and who I would assume we would re-sign:

Salary(M) Name POS
$27.74 DDR SG (playing SF)
$24.00 LMA PF
$14.50 R Gay PF
$13.29 P Mills SG (This is his actual position, not theoretical. He is way undersized at 6'1") Final contract year, Yay!
$ 6.65 D Carroll SF (only $1.35M Guaranteed in late June 2021) Doesn't play, so good trade fodder.
$ 5.50 T Lyles PF (Only $1M Guaranteed in late June 2020) We could use an upgrade here. Just waive him?
$ ?.?? J Poeltl C Has been a ray of sunshine. Re-signing is a no-brainer, but for how much?
$ 2.90 L Walker SG
$ 2.82 L Samanic SF
$14.29 D Murray PG
$ 2.05 K Johnson SF (Might really help next year at SF if he can make that transition from the G-League)
$ 3.52 D White PG (He's a point regardless of whether you list him as PG or SG)
$ 1.66 C Metu PF (Might really help at PF if he can make the transition from the G-League) This is a team option

That is 13 players. Assuming we keep our first round draft pick, that puts us at 14. Not a lot of room on the roster next year.

Let's analyze by position:
PG: Murray and White: Pretty solid. Anyone else that can handle the ball is gravy over them
SG: DDR(it'd be nice to move him back to his natural position), Walker and Mills: Beli and Forbes should be gone
SF: Samanic, K Johnson, Carroll: Samanic is likely another year away from getting time with the main club, but eats a spot on the roster. KJ might be ready. WTF is going on with Carroll? DDR can split time here to give Walker more minutes at SG.
PF: LMA, Gay, Lyles, and Metu: Need an upgrade over Lyles and more consistency than we have in Gay. Metu being able to make the jump from G-League would help.
C: Poeltl: While LMA can play center, we could use a solid minute eater at C to help Poeltl and reduce LMA's time at center. Nikola? That would put us at 15 barring any cuts or trades.

What position do we draft? Most likely BPA. We could use a PG/SG type, so long as they have good handles.

So not much room on next year's roster. I think we look at waiving Lyles and / or trading Carroll. We can also let Mills contract run out next year to open another slot for the year after because he is not getting traded, so don't even try. Other than that, we should be fairly solid in who we have. We'll need time for the youth to get seasoned and develop, but we are looking at a solid roster next year.

Thoughts?

bluebellmaniac
01-25-2020, 06:26 AM
Looking at salaries, with a $5.09M qualifying offer for Poeltl, we are essentially at $124M in salary. That is over the projected $116M salary cap and under the projected $141M luxury tax. It would also mean it might make bringing Nikola over impossible as we'd be limited in what we could offer. Do we have the MLE to offer him? If we replace Lyles and Carroll, we would likely fill with vet min contracts or whatever part of the MLE (if available) is not used.

Thoughts?

SpursRussia
01-25-2020, 06:27 AM
Can't see Bryn here, he is betting better every year, put him in SL for 30 mins and you're set, supermax is coming

szkorhetz
01-25-2020, 07:17 AM
DDR's position doesn't really matter.
Really there are no five positions in the Nba. It's much more Guards, Wings and Centers.

SG or SF? Who cares, there is no difference at all.

spurspl
01-25-2020, 07:45 AM
hope no ddr, forbes, beli, mills and pop

dbestpro
01-25-2020, 07:56 AM
This is why the Lakers are winning. They are running big conventional lineups and are bullying the leagues all wing strategy.

C-Dub
01-25-2020, 07:59 AM
It would be nice it Rudy is traded before next season starts, Lyles would be a decent backup Big 10-12 min a game cause he know the system, either Patty or Forbes (preferably Forbes) have to be included in a trade before next season because QW is not a young pup (4yrs college) and could garner minutes off the bench 10-12 and not plausible to have 3 undersized guards on the team and he ca actually run the point and hit the 3 ball (Forbes can not run the point), Beli can't play defense but but knows the system and has more size to attempt to play and cover big guards and small forwards so he is more valuable then Forbes as long as he's the 10th-11th person off the bench, not sure what's going on with DMC but don't see him being back next season and if the Spurs aren't playing much better than this team by next years trading deadline - then unload DDR and LMA so that the rebuild can finally begin and at least we get to see all the young play. That will be worth watching with no expectations to make the playoffs which means less stress on us fans.

szkorhetz
01-25-2020, 08:17 AM
This is why the Lakers are winning. They are running big conventional lineups and are bullying the leagues all wing strategy.
LAL has two top 5 players, one of them is the GOAT, while they play lineups with KCP at 4 or LBJ at 5. They are not playing big all the time, but they are as versatile as it gets.
When your best player can play all 5 positions, it makes your team hard to catch.

TimDunkem
01-25-2020, 08:19 AM
The Spurs are bringing back the same team.

JeffDuncan
01-25-2020, 10:17 AM
Time to start prognosticating on next year's roster.

Here is who we have signed and who I would assume we would re-sign:

Salary(M) Name POS
$27.74 DDR SG (playing SF)

DDR has a player option for next season, so it isn't about the team re-signing him. He will not get any higher offers from any other teams. He'll exercise the option, if money is his motive.

Even a serious effort by PATFO (which they will not make) will not move that contract.

$24.00 LMA PF

The amount is now fully guaranteed, just btw. Other teams might like to have LMA, but not at that price.

$14.50 R Gay PF

Ditto the DDR comment: Even a serious effort by PATFO (which they will not make) will not move that contract.

$13.29 P Mills SG (This is his actual position, not theoretical. He is way undersized at 6'1") Final contract year, Yay!

One hopes it's his final contract year, but there's PATFO to contend with. Mills is 31, and there is the serious possibility that PATFO will want to give him his "last big contract."

$ 6.65 D Carroll SF (only $1.35M Guaranteed in late June 2021) Doesn't play, so good trade fodder.

No, he is not good trade fodder. The Spurs have become known for squeezing performance out of older vets, so for him not to play looks bad to the rest of the league. That contract is now hard to move.

$ 5.50 T Lyles PF (Only $1M Guaranteed in late June 2020) We could use an upgrade here. Just waive him?

His $5.5 million becomes fully guaranteed on June 30, according to spotrac.

Better have somebody else lined up before letting Lyles go, or they'll have Belinelli starting at PF. I wish I was only making a silly joke.

Speaking of Belinelli, he becomes a free agent at the end of this season, but we know Pop likes him because "he knows the system." Danger!

The contract of the Unspeakable One expires at the end of this season, but we have seen how Pop is with his pet Drama Queen. More danger.

$ ?.?? J Poeltl C Has been a ray of sunshine. Re-signing is a no-brainer, but for how much?

Poeltl's qualifying offer is $5,087,870.

Murray is locked in, as we know. That contract isn't going anywhere.

White, his team option for next season was exercised in October. He would be the most tradeable, but the Spurs cannot do without him, unless they do far better in free agency than they've any right to expect.

The team option for Walker was exercised last October.

Samanic, another year on the roster, but assigned to Austin. Johnson, ditto.

Metu, the Spurs still don't even know if he's an NBA player or not, and are giving themselves no chance to find out.

What position do we draft? ...

As far as next season goes, it doesn't matter. The Spurs won't play him. Pop's fantasy of drafting Nancy Pelosi could come true and it wouldn't make a goddam bit of difference.

... Other than that, we should be fairly solid in who we have. ...

The team will be solidly worse next season.

DDR will probably be back, and will not be better.

LMA, now in decline, will be a little worse.

Gay, now in decline, will be worse.

Mills will not have as good a year, next year.

White should be healthier, and somewhat better, but he can't carry the team.

Murray, progressing at a snail's pace, will be a little better, but not enough to significantly improve the team.

Poeltl, if they're smart enough to keep him, will be better, but again, he can't carry them.

Walker will be better, to the extent he's given a chance, but he can't make up for the other stuff.

Samanic, Johnson, and Metu will still be irrelevant.

We could easily find ourselves envying the Suns and Hawks next season.

JeffDuncan
01-25-2020, 10:19 AM

:pop: We like what we have.

RC_Drunkford
01-25-2020, 10:51 AM
Who's the head coach?

noles1983
01-25-2020, 11:21 AM
Trash this year, trash next year.

sasaint
01-25-2020, 11:57 AM

:bang That's what OP said, and called it a "solid roster." :lmao

Prime BEEF
01-25-2020, 12:12 PM
I get your point but it won’t be exactly the same. They will use Marcos expiring money to give Forbes a bigger contract and they won’t want to pay Poetl what other teams are offering. So it will be the same team minus Marco and Poetl. Which is super gross.

bluebellmaniac
01-25-2020, 12:15 PM
:bang That's what OP said, and called it a "solid roster." :lmao

It's addition by subtraction. One of Beli or Forbes has to go and it'd be nice if both are gone. Add someone taller than Forbes who is capable of playing defense and instant upgrade.

Walker and Murray will be off the minute restrictions and both will know the system better and be overall improved.

Add a first round pick (likely in the G-League) and that will fill the roster.

And by solid, that was a bad term. I meant it was pretty much set as far as who would be on the team next year. I think it's a better team.

talkspurs
01-25-2020, 12:15 PM
As far as next season goes, it doesn't matter. The Spurs won't play him. Pop's fantasy of drafting Nancy Pelosi could come true and it wouldn't make a goddam bit of difference.

This part made me laugh. I think obama might be more realistic though as he at least plays BBall. If we drafted him we might get to see Pop start a rookie.

sasaint
01-25-2020, 12:43 PM
It's addition by subtraction. One of Beli or Forbes has to go and it'd be nice if both are gone. Add someone taller than Forbes who is capable of playing defense and instant upgrade.

Walker and Murray will be off the minute restrictions and both will know the system better and be overall improved.

Add a first round pick (likely in the G-League) and that will fill the roster.

And by solid, that was a bad term. I meant it was pretty much set as far as who would be on the team next year. I think it's a better team.

You value several players more than I: LMA, Rudy and Dumbmar. And all 3 will be a year older. Rudy, in particular, is ballast. Plus, I cannot imagine Bryan’s being moved, and I certainly can’t imagine BOTH he and Marco being removed from roster. Derrick and Dijon are not on minutes restrictions NOW. The Old Asshole just refuses to play them together. But until he realizes that Derrick is the PG and Dijon the SG, I don’t think that matters much. Poorly constructed roster, consistently poorly deployed this season will not be much different next season with Pop at the helm.

RC_Drunkford
01-25-2020, 01:29 PM
Here's what a smart front office would do:

1. Tell Pop to retire
2. Find a new head coach
3. Don't resign Forbes and Belinelli
4. Waive Lyles
5. Trade Carroll and Gay
6. Gamble on DeRozan to opt in
7. Try to sign Joe Harris, Bojan Bogdanovic

Here's what the Spurs will do:

1. Beg Pop to coach another season
2. Resign Bryn Forbes to a 60 million/4-year deal
3. Supermax DeRozan
4. Don't sign any free agent at all
5. Do the same shit they did this year

bluebellmaniac
01-25-2020, 03:26 PM
You value several players more than I: LMA, Rudy and Dumbmar. And all 3 will be a year older. Rudy, in particular, is ballast. Plus, I cannot imagine Bryan’s being moved, and I certainly can’t imagine BOTH he and Marco being removed from roster. Derrick and Dijon are not on minutes restrictions NOW. The Old Asshole just refuses to play them together. But until he realizes that Derrick is the PG and Dijon the SG, I don’t think that matters much. Poorly constructed roster, consistently poorly deployed this season will not be much different next season with Pop at the helm.

Very odd comment. WTF are you basing my valuation on? You aren't, just making crap up. I've listed out facts. It's fine if you want to swap out players. Don't piss into the wind and then cry about being wet. What are your proposals, be specific. Just saying get rid of players is not specific.

Who TF is Bryan and why would they need to move him? Do you mean Forbes? His contract expires this year. WTF would you move someone next year when their contract is already expired? Do you mean Bryan the waterboy?

Players coming back from knee injuries are on a minute restrictions for a whole freaking year after coming back. Spurs have the stats that doing so drastically reduces the chance for a recurrence. Yes, there have been games where they overplayed. Next year Lonnie can play more minutes per game.

Poorly constructed roster you say, but that's all raging against the storm when you give no proposals.

TD 21
01-25-2020, 04:50 PM
Your positions are all out of whack . . .

Bigs: Aldridge, Poeltl, Metu, Eubanks
Bigs and big wings: Gay, Lyles, Carroll, Samanic
Wings: DeRozan, Walker IV, Belinelli, Johnson
Guards: Murray, White, Mills, Forbes, Weatherspoon

Unless DeRozan is willing to opt in to his final year, expect him to be traded, which will probably lead to Aldridge and Gay being traded as well.

Likely to be re-signed: Poeltl and Forbes
Likely to not be re-signed: Belinelli
Likely to have team option picked up: Lyles
Likely to be traded: Carroll

bluebellmaniac
01-25-2020, 05:28 PM

Unless DeRozan is willing to opt in to his final year, expect him to be traded, which will probably lead to Aldridge and Gay being traded as well.

Good take.

I think Pop holds the high ground on him opting in. I don't know where other teams are on being able to sign a player for $27+M. If the FO doesn't agree to take back a player for them to make room to sign him, then it becomes a hard thing to do. If Pop wants him, I think DDR has to opt in.

Yeah, I suspect Forbes gets re-signed. Don't like it because of his defense, or lack of it, but it is what it is.

Is Nikola ever coming over? How's his 3? Is he teachable for a 3?

TD 21
01-25-2020, 05:42 PM
Good take.

I think Pop holds the high ground on him opting in. I don't know where other teams are on being able to sign a player for $27+M. If the FO doesn't agree to take back a player for them to make room to sign him, then it becomes a hard thing to do. If Pop wants him, I think DDR has to opt in.

Yeah, I suspect Forbes gets re-signed. Don't like it because of his defense, or lack of it, but it is what it is.

Is Nikola ever coming over? How's his 3? Is he teachable for a 3?

Why would DeRozan or his agent care what Pop wants? They're going to do what's best for them.

If some sucker is willing to give him 3 years at similar money to what he's currently earning, he'd be a fool not to take it . . . and the Spurs would be even bigger fools than they already are to give him any type of contract.

People seem to think Milutinov will never come over for financial purposes, but other than the fact that they wasted a 1st round pick on him, he's largely irrelevant anyway. Poeltl is more than likely a better version, center is the most over saturated position and he's an archaic type, who'd likely be a matchup dependant backup.

TimDunkem
01-25-2020, 05:44 PM
I get your point but it won’t be exactly the same. They will use Marcos expiring money to give Forbes a bigger contract and they won’t want to pay Poetl what other teams are offering. So it will be the same team minus Marco and Poetl. Which is super gross.

Might as well be considering who will be the top 3 in MPG. DD/LMA/Firmes

sananspursfan21
01-25-2020, 05:54 PM

This. I don’t think small ball has many more seasons left before the NBA starts migrating back to being more conventional. In some ways, this new era has made some breakthroughs but at the end of the day, height and size definitely matters in basketball.

bluebellmaniac
01-25-2020, 05:57 PM
Why would DeRozan or his agent care what Pop wants? They're going to do what's best for them.

If some sucker is willing to give him 3 years at similar money to what he's currently earning, he'd be a fool not to take it . . . and the Spurs would be even bigger fools than they already are to give him any type of contract.

People seem to think Milutinov will never come over for financial purposes, but other than the fact that they wasted a 1st round pick on him, he's largely irrelevant anyway. Poeltl is more than likely a better version, center is the most over saturated position and he's an archaic type, who'd likely be a matchup dependant backup.

It matters because if he is willing to go to team X, Y, or Z and we are not willing to trade with them, then only a team that is $27M+ under the salary cap can sign him. Not many teams like that. So if he wants to go somewhere, his best course of action is to get an agreement with the FO to help him.

Prime BEEF
01-25-2020, 06:06 PM
DDR
Forbes
LMA

in that order

Prime BEEF
01-25-2020, 06:09 PM

1. Tell Pop to retire
2. Find a new head coach
4. Waive Lyles
5. Trade Carroll and Gay

3. Supermax DeRozan

I would change #6 to trade Murray and DDR for a combination of young talent, expiring contracts and picks

tbdog
01-25-2020, 06:09 PM
Spurs will trade two or three of Gay, Mills, Murray, Lyles, White for a disgruntled or overpriced allstar this off season.

sasaint
01-25-2020, 06:26 PM

Ouch! If that comes to pass (highly likely if Pop is still at the helm) my MPG will drop to near 0.

bluebellmaniac
01-26-2020, 10:15 AM
We're going to have a relatively good draft pick. What position would help us the most and who would be available near that position?

Conversely, do we package that pick with someone like DDR to move even higher. Is there a game-changer out there worth doing that for? Is there a team that would go for that that has a great pick we'd want to trade with? A lot of variables that have to align.

GAustex
01-26-2020, 10:42 AM
Add to this is get rid of DJM-fool someone into giving up assets for this clown.

EasyMoney
01-26-2020, 11:27 AM

1. Tell Pop to retire
2. Find a new head coach
4. Waive Lyles
5. Trade Carroll and Gay

3. Supermax DeRozan

Pretty much. You forgot to mention bringing Marco back for one more year.

EasyMoney
01-26-2020, 11:29 AM
Dejounte Murray , Derrick white
Lonnie walker , patty mills
3 and d , demarre carroll
3 and d , not Rudy gay
Lamarcus Aldridge , Jakob poeltl

It's not that damn hard. Murray and walker are the damn future backcourt in this league and all they're doing is delaying it because of the demar DeRozan trade

dbestpro
01-26-2020, 11:34 AM
I am ready to give up on Forbes, Lyles, and Murray. When you look at it day in and day out they are pulling the team down. These guys have no BB IQ. The keep making the same stupid mistakes over and over and over. Lyles is not worth his contract.

Murray has showed zero growth and Forbes is, well Forbes. I would rather dump these guys along with Carrol and Gay's salary and try to go find a real PG and wing with height (for those of you who argue there is no SF). LMA is shooting the three so, now is the time to move Poetl back into the starting lineup. Moving some of the youth should be a wake-up call to the youth that remains.

EasyMoney
01-26-2020, 11:50 AM
I am ready to give up on Forbes, Lyles, and Murray. When you look at it day in and day out they are pulling the team down. These guys have no BB IQ. The keep making the same stupid mistakes over and over and over. Lyles is not worth his contract.

Murray has showed zero growth and Forbes is, well Forbes. I would rather dump these guys along with Carrol and Gay's salary and try to go find a real PG and wing with height (for those of you who argue there is no SF). LMA is shooting the three so, now is the time to move Poetl back into the starting lineup. Moving some of the youth should be a wake-up call to the youth that remains.

Murray is like 22 years old who is just coming back from a torn acl and playing beside someone who is regressing his progression. But sure let's give up on him lol.

Dejounte is on the bottom of the list of problems for this team and I'm convinced some of you are trolling when any of you criticize him and want him off the team tbh. But that's your opinion.

Prime BEEF
01-26-2020, 12:01 PM
Murray is like 22 years old who is just coming back from a torn acl and playing beside someone who is regressing his progression. But sure let's give up on him lol.

Dejounte is on the bottom of the list of problems for this team and I'm convinced some of you are trolling when any of you criticize him and want him off the team tbh. But that's your opinion.
If you want to keep Murray as the backup PG of the future I’m cool with that but he isn’t the starting PG that you think he might become. He can’t shoot, can’t pass, and turns it over when he tries to make plays. He’s a better than average defender and is a good rebounding guard. That isn’t going to take us places...even as a complementary player to DDR and LMA or other all stars. Most stars generally control the ball and want guys next to them that can shoot. On the flip side if you can’t shoot as a PG you really need to be an excellent passer and playmaker that elevates your teammates play. Murray can’t play either role.

TimDunkem
01-26-2020, 12:11 PM
If you want to keep Murray as the backup PG of the future I’m cool with that but he isn’t the starting PG that you think he might become. He can’t shoot, can’t pass, and turns it over when he tries to make plays. He’s a better than average defender and is a good rebounding guard. That isn’t going to take us places...even as a complementary player to DDR and LMA or other all stars. Most stars generally control the ball and want guys next to them that can shoot. On the flip side if you can’t shoot as a PG you really need to be an excellent passer and playmaker that elevates your teammates play. Murray can’t play either role.

He really has a lot of holes in his game. The kind of holes that are keeping him from being a good complimentary piece let alone a great PG.

vander
01-26-2020, 12:14 PM
Who's the head coach?

unless this changes, nothing else matters

cd021
01-26-2020, 12:23 PM

Still don't think Forbes is getting re-signed. It would be on brand for him to be but letting Forbes walk and starting Walker or White walk seems like a no-brainer.

Agree on Lyles and Beli, though i'm not high on Lyles. He's a 10th man. If he could shoot then he'd be fine in his role but he is a below average 3pt shooter.

cd021
01-26-2020, 12:26 PM
Still think next year will be:

Murray, Mills,
Walker, White
DDR, K.J, Carroll
PF, Gay, Lyles, Samanic
LMA, Poeltl, Metu

plus the 2020 1st rounder

talkspurs
01-26-2020, 12:29 PM

I think most people underestimate his shooting which has improved. He is more of a free play type of PG, He can run sets but he needs to have some tempo in it. Pop has really neutered him by making him defer to LMA and DDR. This is why Pop needs to retire as he is hurting the youth.

TD 21
01-26-2020, 08:15 PM
Still don't think Forbes is getting re-signed. It would be on brand for him to be but letting Forbes walk and starting Walker or White walk seems like a no-brainer.

Agree on Lyles and Beli, though i'm not high on Lyles. He's a 10th man. If he could shoot then he'd be fine in his role but he is a below average 3pt shooter.

He's played so poorly and doesn't have enough of a track record of great 3-point shooting seasons that he's probably not going to cost much and that was likely the only thing that could have dissuaded them.

I'm not high on Lyles, either. But if the "mid 3" are traded, even if a starting caliber big wing/"PF" is what they receive for DeRozan, I could see them keeping him as a backup for another season before turning the job over to Samanic.

TD 21
01-26-2020, 08:20 PM
It matters because if he is willing to go to team X, Y, or Z and we are not willing to trade with them, then only a team that is $27M+ under the salary cap can sign him. Not many teams like that. So if he wants to go somewhere, his best course of action is to get an agreement with the FO to help him.

I've long said as much. If he's not content opting in and playing out his final season without an extension (which I doubt), I suspect they'll work in concert to find a trade partner willing to give him a palatable one as part of the agreement.

cd021
01-26-2020, 08:59 PM
He's played so poorly and doesn't have enough of a track record of great 3-point shooting seasons that he's probably not going to cost much and that was likely the only thing that could have dissuaded them.

I'm not high on Lyles, either. But if the "mid 3" are traded, even if a starting caliber big wing/"PF" is what they receive for DeRozan, I could see them keeping him as a backup for another season before turning the job over to Samanic.

Fair point, but he is an unrestricted free agent. If he were RFA that would further hurt his value. I could see a team giving him $ million a year to be a bench 3-point bomber.

Year 3 is normally when the Spurs fully integrated draftees into the rotation, if they haven't been already. I think- or at least hope, that they'll let Byrn and Beli walk, start Walker and have KJ backup DDR.

I think they really need an upgrade at the 4. Lyles is miscast as a starter and Gay can't play big minutes and hasn't been very good this season.

TD 21
01-26-2020, 09:21 PM
Fair point, but he is an unrestricted free agent. If he were RFA that would further hurt his value. I could see a team giving him $ million a year to be a bench 3-point bomber.

Year 3 is normally when the Spurs fully integrated draftees into the rotation, if they haven't been already. I think- or at least hope, that they'll let Byrn and Beli walk, start Walker and have KJ backup DDR.

I think they really need an upgrade at the 4. Lyles is miscast as a starter and Gay can't play big minutes and hasn't been very good this season.

I don't have a great sense of his market value at the moment, but it's not like he's going to break the bank. They'll probably overpay him with something like 3/$18 million, when they could sign a comparable like Daniels for the minimum.

There's a good chance DeRozan is traded and either way, Johnson backing him up is unlikely. This team can't afford another significant downgrade in shooting in their rotation.

They need an upgrade at the 4 just to make the playoffs. I still think Marvin Williams is the best possible stopgap.

cd021
01-27-2020, 03:25 AM
I don't have a great sense of his market value at the moment, but it's not like he's going to break the bank. They'll probably overpay him with something like 3/$18 million, when they could sign a comparable like Daniels for the minimum.

There's a good chance DeRozan is traded and either way, Johnson backing him up is unlikely. This team can't afford another significant downgrade in shooting in their rotation.

They need an upgrade at the 4 just to make the playoffs. I still think Marvin Williams is the best possible stopgap.

-Agree on Marvin Williams. Heard a lot of good things about him, apparently he's a good defender in addition to actually being able to space the floor.

-Man, I really hope your wrong on Forbes but I could see that

-Don't see a Demar trade; I think the Spurs are hellbent on the PS. They also probably expect that he'll opt-in. The could always trade him in the off season, after he does.

-KJ is hard to peg as a shooter; he was actually a good shooter in college-that was probably his biggest strength coming out but has been awful shooting it in the G-league. I think he's been too good in the G-league to keep on the bench for another season.

I think he's not nearly as bad of a shooter as he's shown. He'd be an significant upgrade defensively over Beli who's been DDR's backup for much of the season. Walker would be a significant upgrade defensively over Forbes.

I think that they'd be able to figure the downgrade in shooting. Aldridge is taking 4.7 3's per game, in January. If he is taking that many from the start next season, along with Murray continuing to improve, a better stretch 4 option, etc. I think they'll be ok there.

TD 21
01-28-2020, 04:59 PM
-Agree on Marvin Williams. Heard a lot of good things about him, apparently he's a good defender in addition to actually being able to space the floor.

-Man, I really hope your wrong on Forbes but I could see that

-Don't see a Demar trade; I think the Spurs are hellbent on the PS. They also probably expect that he'll opt-in. The could always trade him in the off season, after he does.

-KJ is hard to peg as a shooter; he was actually a good shooter in college-that was probably his biggest strength coming out but has been awful shooting it in the G-league. I think he's been too good in the G-league to keep on the bench for another season.

I think he's not nearly as bad of a shooter as he's shown. He'd be an significant upgrade defensively over Beli who's been DDR's backup for much of the season. Walker would be a significant upgrade defensively over Forbes.

I think that they'd be able to figure the downgrade in shooting. Aldridge is taking 4.7 3's per game, in January. If he is taking that many from the start next season, along with Murray continuing to improve, a better stretch 4 option, etc. I think they'll be ok there.

With regards to a potential DeRozan trade, I mean after the season. I doubt he opts in. Despite only a handful of re-building teams (who he obviously makes no sense for) having cap space, the '20 free agent class is way worse than the '21 one and going on 31, I'd imagine he'd want to lock in one final big contract as opposed to risking severe injury or decline the following season.

Johnson is a sub par shooter and even if he were to be a decent enough one in a vacuum next season, with what they have in place, they can't afford the downgrade in shooting from Forbes to him. If Forbes isn't re-signed, his rotation spot likely goes to a cheaper shooter.

I expect Johnson to enter the season in the role Walker has been in much of the season, which really only means he's an injury away from rotational minutes.