PDA

View Full Version : It's down to San Antonio and Houston for Piatkowski.

WriterNum934
07-19-2003, 01:54 PM
LINK (http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1058619321165950.xml)

"It doesn't appear the Cavs will sign another targeted free agent. A source close to Eric Piatkowski said the former L.A. Clippers guard will sign with either San Antonio or Houston."

TheCat5
07-19-2003, 02:00 PM
and San Antonio might be the favorite, because...

"Though they have not made an offer, the Rockets had shown interest in Clippers guard Eric Piatkowski, primarily in the event they don't bring back Posey. Piatkowski had been considering a move to the Cavs, but is back on the market."

www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssis...kn/2001971 (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2001971)

As a Rockets fan, I disagree with this - I think Pike is needed with or without Posey. But Posey is a very important priority for the Rockets (and rightly so), and if the article is correct and it's one of the two, I'm sure the Rockets will go with Posey. Houston is close to the luxury tax, and probably wouldn't offer Eric close to the full MCE with Posey in the fold. Of course, if the Spurs make a trade in the next couple of days, he won't have a choice.

KoriEllis
07-19-2003, 02:17 PM
Piatkowski would be a great role player off the bench for the Spurs. If he shot that well with the Clips, imagine how good he can shoot in the Spurs' offense.

I know he is on the Spurs' short list of FA interests. Hopefully they can pick him up.

ducks
07-19-2003, 02:40 PM
stats (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/2638):smokin2

Russ
07-19-2003, 03:01 PM
Pike is a zone buster and an underrated all around offensive player.

I was afraid the Lakers would get him and/or Tyronn Lue. With Lue going to Orlando, it looks like they'll get neither. :)

I say grab Pike.

KoriEllis
07-19-2003, 03:08 PM
Hi Russ. I agree. He's a very Spur-like player and would flourish in their offense. I know the Spurs are looking at him -- hopefully they can pick up Piatkowski, Horry and maybe Pippen.

ShoogarBear
07-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Piatkowski would be nice.

However, I see some redundancy in keeping both Piakowski and Kerr. And right now it looks like Kerr (and/or Manu) are our backup point guards, which isn't going to cut it.

I think we can keep any two of: {Kerr, Piatkowski, new backup point}, but not all three.

WriterNum934
07-19-2003, 04:07 PM
Kerr would be the third option at point and Piatkowski would be the second option at the 2 behind Manu.

ducks
07-19-2003, 04:09 PM
the backup point guard will be a guy from the summer league

T Park Num 9
07-19-2003, 04:10 PM
Nesterovic Piatkowski Pippen Horry.

Now that would be an awesome offseason.

Admiral
07-19-2003, 05:07 PM
Nesterovic Piatkowski Pippen Horry.

Now that would be an awesome offseason. -T Park num 9

I think awesome is too strong of a word, T Park. Jermaine O'Neal or Elton Brand, plus guys like Piatkowski and Horry, would've been an awesome offseason. The above list fills some needs (especially long-range shooting and clutch play) and really beefs up our bench, but it's not "awesome" by any means in my opinion.

Cassius Clay
07-19-2003, 05:09 PM
Exhibit A of why most Spurs fans are spoiled bitches.

WriterNum934
07-19-2003, 05:09 PM
Jermaine O'Neal or Elton Brand,

Guys we NEVER HAD A CHANCE AT! O'Neal wasn't going to give up 30 million to become the second option and leave a city he liked.

Brand was going to be matched no matter what the Spurs did.

They were complete PIPE DREAMS.

texbound
07-19-2003, 05:52 PM
Kerr would be the third option at point and Piatkowski would be the second option at the 2 behind Manu

Am I missing something, or did you forget Stephen Jackson at the 2.

Let's see, with Jackson backing up Bowen:

PG Parker, ??? (darrell Armstrong or Pippen), Kerr
SG Manu, Piatkowski
SF Bowen, Jackson, Horry (spot minutes here)
PF Duncan, Rose, Horry (same as above)
C Rasho, Willis

I like this team, even without Pippen

Tex

ShoogarBear
07-19-2003, 06:12 PM
PG Parker, ??? (darrell Armstrong or Pippen), Kerr
SG Manu, Piatkowski
SF Bowen, Jackson, Horry (spot minutes here)
PF Duncan, Rose, Horry (same as above)
C Rasho, Willis

The Good News: Kerr, Pippen, Piatkowski, Bowen, Jackson, and Horry mean pretty impressive three-point capacity.

The Bad News: They also mean incentive to play even more dump-a-chump on offense instead of running and slashing.

texbound
07-19-2003, 06:28 PM
The Bad News: They also mean incentive to play even more dump-a-chump on offense instead of running and slashing

Not necessarily. You would have a good blend of slashers and shooters on the court at the same time.

Starters:

Parker and Manu are your slashers at this time.

Off the bench, you bring in Jackson (slasher) with either Armstrong or Pippen and Piatkowski.

Or the Spurs could go with an all "at the basket" team with:

Parker
Manu
Jackson
Duncan
Rasho.

Or they can come with a strong perimeter team to soften up the middle with players like:

Armstrong or Pippen, Kerr
Piatkowski
Bowen
Horry
Duncan

That is an excellent blend of inside and outside players. This team could adjust to any situation.

Additionally, if the Spurs wanted to be even stronger down low (for rebounding purposes) they could have this lineup:

Parker
Manu
Malik
Duncan
Rasho

There are so many different scenarios you can go with this team. I like it.

Tex

ShoogarBear
07-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Not necessarily. You would have a good blend of slashers and shooters on the court at the same time.
Or they can come with a strong perimeter team to soften up the middle with players like:

C'mon now, which option, left to his own devices, do you think Pop is more likely to choose? :)

mattyc2422
07-20-2003, 01:49 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Piatkowski is a perfect role player for the Spurs.

CarnacTheMagnificent
07-20-2003, 03:35 AM
I like the Polish Rifle...:gun

MI21
07-20-2003, 03:58 AM
Nice bench player, but I hate relying on 3pt shooters to get it done in the Playoffs. (See 2002, Western Conference Semi-Finals)

But then again, we wont be relying on him will we :)

CarnacTheMagnificent
07-20-2003, 04:03 AM
MI2I, the Spurs won't be relying on 3-point shooting, they'll still be relying on Tim/ The range will help alliviate the pressure off Tim.
Remember when the Spurs had no outside shooting? Like, in 1989-90?

MI21
07-20-2003, 04:05 AM
That's why I said we wont be relying on him.

CarnacTheMagnificent
07-20-2003, 04:09 AM
touce. A little top-spin volley into my end of the court!

Cassius Clay
07-20-2003, 04:09 AM
The Spurs didn't have a perimeter game in 89-90 dumbass.

mattyc2422
07-20-2003, 05:29 AM
:wtf Isn't that what he said?

Remember when the Spurs had no outside shooting? Like, in 1989-90?

scott
07-20-2003, 12:04 PM
Must be the Parkinsons

ShoogarBear
07-20-2003, 03:29 PM
So it's agreed, then: Piatkowski is going to carry us in the playoffs with his three-point shooting, like in 1989-1990.

T Park Num 9
07-20-2003, 04:48 PM
89 90

who the **** shot the ball well outside in 89 90

David Wingate???

Who is this dumbfuck?

ShoogarBear
07-21-2003, 12:01 AM
The ability to process sarcasm/irony/deadpan usually comes with puberty.

Cassius Clay
07-21-2003, 12:09 AM
So it's preferable for the Spurs not to add Piatkowksi?

ducks
07-21-2003, 12:17 AM
he would be great especially right now

ShoogarBear
07-21-2003, 12:25 AM
The first thing I wrote was "Piatkowski would be nice".

KoriEllis
07-21-2003, 12:45 AM
Spurs' fans must be on edge. People are too quick to snap over jokes and sarcasm these days.

:elephant

Admiral
07-21-2003, 01:45 AM
Guys we NEVER HAD A CHANCE AT! O'Neal wasn't going to give up 30 million to become the second option and leave a city he liked.

Brand was going to be matched no matter what the Spurs did.

They were complete PIPE DREAMS. -WriterNum934

Exhibit A on why the Fantasy Summer of 2003 plan was flawed to being with.

Cassius Clay
07-21-2003, 01:56 AM
Then the Spurs should never have given themselves this flexibility with DRob's retirement? Apparently they wouldn't have been able to even score a Nesterovic in free agency if they were capped out. SJax might not have been back as well.

Of course they did get TD to re-sign. But yeah we always thought that was going to happen.

:rolleyes

Admiral
07-21-2003, 02:22 AM
Surely you aren't suggesting that the Spurs would've still saved cap room for this summer if they knew that O'Neal, Brand, Marion, Pierce, etc. would be unavailable. It was about signing superstars to complement Duncan's game much more than it was about "flexibility" from long-term contracts.

We can find positives that have come as a result of the Holting Pattern, but as far as the main objective is concerned, most people will agree that it has been a big disappointment.

When are you going to admit it, Cassius?

MannyIsGod
07-21-2003, 02:30 AM
I walked into a store one day and bought a lotto ticket. I filled in the number on the ticket, but unbeknownest to me, I accidently filled in a number I didn't mean to.

I went home that night, watched the lotto drawing, and ended up winning a jackpot of 10 millino dollars

Unfortunetly, I didn't get 10 million, I only recived 3 due to taxes and my cash option.

What a miserable failure.

The Spurs won the title because of the personal decisions they have made up to this point, regardless of what signings they made this summer.

That ultimately made it a success.

This summer on its own has been viewed as a home run or nothing by spurs fans.

THE NBA SEASON IS NOT A HOME RUN DERBY, A DOUBLE SUFFICES JUST FINE.

Call it damage control, call it spin, call me a homer, but the fact is that we are still making additions and we have been able to add a replacement for a key player in our title run,and the ability to augment a team that was already a championship team.

Those are the facts. So we didn't get a superstar, so? We still have a shot at a title, a DAMN GOOD ONE.

Quit your bitching you damn babies.

I wish I had an internet pacifier to shove in Admirals mouth as well as Ghost's.

baseline bum
07-21-2003, 02:32 AM
A double? Rasho is more like an infield single and Horry and Pike are bunts.

Cassius Clay
07-21-2003, 02:45 AM
We can find positives that have come as a result of the Holting Pattern, but as far as the main objective is concerned, most people will agree that it has been a big disappointment.

What was the damn alternative? You know DRob is retiring. Why exactly is it a horrible idea to give yourself significant cap flexibility in the summer in which he retires? Would you have preferred the Spurs to be capped out this summer while looking for a DRob replacement?

Manny is right, GW and GW Jr need a damn pacifier.

Admiral
07-21-2003, 03:04 AM
The Spurs won the title because of the personal decisions they have made up to this point, regardless of what signings they made this summer. -Manny

I thought it was due to personnel decisions more than anything, Manny. ;)

This summer on its own has been viewed as a home run or nothing by spurs fans. -Manny

Like it or not, the organization painted that picture two years ago when they declared we were in rebuilding mode. Some of us warned that it was risky at best to bank on signing a superstar this summer, and people like you were probably one of the ones who told us we were being too negative. Go figure.

Call it damage control, call it spin, call me a homer, but the fact is that we are still making additions and we have been able to add a replacement for a key player in our title run,and the ability to augment a team that was already a championship team. -Manny

I agree that we've done a great job of adjusting to the disappointments, so you won't hear me complain about the Spurs' front office. You also won't hear me say that we're doomed, because I think we are going to be fine this year. You also won't hear me gloss over the fact that we didn't reach our goals for the summer. If you can't handle that, I'm sorry.

Quit your bitching you damn babies. I wish I had an internet pacifier to shove in Admirals mouth as well as Ghost's. -Manny

My outlook is as positive as yours is, Manny. I'm just not scared to look back at the past to evaluate what went wrong, so that it can be corrected in the future. I guess that's what separates the leaders from the followers. Hopefully the person in front of you isn't blocking your view, Manny.

Next.

Admiral
07-21-2003, 03:13 AM
What was the damn alternative? You know DRob is retiring. Why exactly is it a horrible idea to give yourself significant cap flexibility in the summer in which he retires? Would you have preferred the Spurs to be capped out this summer while looking for a DRob replacement? -Cassius Clay

It's not a horrible idea to give yourself cap flexibility after DRob retires, but you should do so understanding that it's risky.

By the way, your tactic of suggesting extreme examples is getting old. Nobody is suggesting that we be capped out this summer, but there is a middle ground. Some cap space is preferred, but saving almost all of it and banking on signing two superstars was perhaps not the best choice. I suppose that's why they say hindsight is 20/20. At least we stuck with our plan and gave it our all. I certainly can't fault the effort by our front office.

Manny is right, GW and GW Jr need a damn pacifier. -Cassius Clay

:baby

Cassius Clay
07-21-2003, 03:45 AM
Yes Admiral, life is "risky." The Spurs have found a decent replacement for DRob version 2003 and will be able to improve their bench and keep together virtually all of their young core, save one reserve who is looking for a starting job elsewhere.

God save us all.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2003, 03:51 AM
Come on guys, still cracking down on anything that is not "Spurs are great"?

Let's be perfectly honest here. The Holt-ing pattern was initiated two years ago, not to get some "nice" role players like Rasho (we hope) and Horry, but to put a superstar next to Tim Duncan.

We watched our targets fall off the map one by one - Marion re-signing with Phoenix for example, and said "that's okay, Jermaine, JKidd, Brand, etc. will all be available."

And then July 1 got here, and everything went to hell. Jason Kidd played us, like some here saw and called, and did so for a week.

The same loyalty and responsibility to a franchise that we lauded in Tim Duncan was cursed when Jermaine returned to Indy to be the man (and collect $30 million more from).

The Clippers, despite their cheapness, said all along they'd match Brand, and they took, what two days to do so?

In the meantime of the Spurs pissing into the proverbial wind/up the rope, our nemesis in LA went out and got themselves Gary Payton and Karl Malone for a tidy 6.3 million dollars.

Ask yourselves, the Spurs with two and a half times that, what if we had pursued those two? Where would we be right now? Set.

Put aside the cracks on Karl Malone "not being able to fit in", he's one of the game's greats, he will. Same for Gary Payton. Damn if we couldn't have had GP mentoring TP for 2-3 years, how big would that have been?

Instead we planned and planned for all this "cap space", and here we are one week from August still holding 3/4 of it.

I should remind Marcus/SF/Cassius/Archie that he retorted during our criticism of Kidd that "the Spurs need to make a superstar acquisition this summer, that's what the Holt-ing pattern is all about."

Well guess what, no amount of sugar coating or blind faith in Pop's love for Rasho can take away from that fact.

So in the essence of the original post, the Spurs summer should be graded at an F. Say what you want about guys not being available or what not, but it doesn't appear that things like that factored into our pursuit of the Holt-ing pattern and mismatched free agents like JKidd to begin with.

Couple this off-season with the Spurs flirtation with Chris Webber a few years back, and I hope to god our management team will recognize that if they want to improve this team around Tim Duncan, creative drafting and shrewd trades are the way to go, free agency with a wad of cash is definite fool's gold, at least where San Antone is concerned.

AHF

Cassius Clay
07-21-2003, 04:04 AM
What I said was that ideally the Spurs would be able to get a second superstar for Duncan outright through free agency this summer. Of course you retorted that Kidd was a mistake and that the Spurs would be better off without him. Now you go off on the Spurs again. Stop bitching just to bitch and be happy since what you said the Spurs should do happened.

Cassius Clay
07-21-2003, 04:05 AM
Also Aggie you are a damn baby. Jesus Christ this team just won a title and here you are bitching because they took a couple of shots at franchise players and didn't land one in free agency.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2003, 04:15 AM
I'm not bitching because of what happened, I'm bitching because the plan was flawed all along

And it appears for all the thoroughness that we have come to expect by the guys at the top of our front office, they didn't bother to think through the facts that 1) most major targets would be off the map, 2) Jason Kidd would play us to get what he wants out of NJ, despite his "friendship" with TD [our Jason Kidd front office hardon the last two years has been a monumental set up for failure from the beginning], 3) Sterling wouldn't let an All-Star walk for nothing.

I'm excited we won a title, but to be perfectly blunt this wasn't about celebrating the title, it was about putting us into position to do it again. I don't see Pop and RC drunk off champagne singing some Queen song, do you? The celebration was over, once July 1 hit it was time to work on the repeat.

I'm not sure how criticizing our front office for a flawed strategy like this way is in any way more "acting like a baby" than when you get owned in an argument and go register a different user handle to post under because you got called out and are afraid to show your face.

We post here because we can share different opinions remember, your retort about "being a baby" sounds more like something I'd hear and expect from Buddy Holly or Dizz than someone like you.

You're better than that, opinions be damned.

AHF

Cassius Clay
07-21-2003, 04:19 AM
Ok, so the plan was "flawed." Instead the Spurs should have done.........................................what?

CarnacTheMagnificent
07-21-2003, 04:23 AM
89 90

who the **** shot the ball well outside in 89 90

David Wingate???

Who is this dumbfuck?

What the hell? I hope you're not talking about me, TPark. Tell me you're not talking about me.
I misread what he said. I thought he didn't want to rely on shooting. That's why I said "like 89-90", when the Spurs had no outside shooting.
Man, people are sensitive.

timvp
07-21-2003, 04:24 AM
How was the plan flawed? They gave themself flexibility after Robinson retired. They didn't expect to land Kidd, O'Neal or Brand. Those were longshots who they went after in hopes of a miracle hapenning. They weren't the must-have targets that some mistake it to be.

With that flexibility, they landed an new center and will put together the best bench in Spurs history. How is that a bad thing?

Bottomline is that Spurs fans had their heads in the clouds when they dreamt of Kidds and O'Neals. Reality is they were able to secure a new starter and a great bench.

How sad.

:shootme

Whottt
07-21-2003, 04:31 AM
I am always going to believe the impetus to land Kidd came from Duncan, not Pop..I just don't see Pop getting that excited about Kidd's game.

I am still glad we didn't get him..I just think the guy is a bad egg and let's face it..he had nothing to gain by coming here and everything to lose..from credibility with other players in the NBA, to his status as the leagues best PG if we failed to repeat, to money. It's ironic that many of those who were against Kidd from the beginning in some ways have more respect for him as a player than those who wanted him here...Kidd isn't a nutrider..what has he ever done to make anyone think that?

And I really hope we still get the best bench in our history...Horry could still wind up back in LA...picking him up will keep this offseason from being a lost one one IMO.

I kinda agree this wasn't a great offseason..I am still and will continue to be pissed we gave away our draft pick and didn't even consider Payton.. but I don't think the offseason was lousy if we come out of it replacing DROB and upgrading our shooting.

Cassius Clay
07-21-2003, 04:35 AM
Let's say this team was capped out and DRob retired. Then what?

Oh, I know. Then we bitch at Pop because he didn't plan for DRob's retirement.

Damn, they took a shot at landing a star through free agency and still were able to address their all-important 'needs.'

Face it, you guys will bitch whenever anything doesn't go perfectly for the Spurs and pin the blame solely on the front office.

Anyways, wtf were the Spurs supposed to have done differently? All I've seen have been rants about how this 'plan' was so horrid. What was the great alternative?

CarnacTheMagnificent
07-21-2003, 04:39 AM
I am still glad we didn't get him..I just think the guy is a bad egg and let's face it..he had nothing to gain by coming here and everything to lose..from credibility with other players in the NBA, to his status as the leagues best PG if we failed to repeat, to money.

He had nothing to gain? How about a title?
He's NEVER going to win a title in NJ.
He'd have a much better chance to win it alll with the Spurs than the Nets.
Money was no issue, and he would not have lost as much credibility with other players as you think.
I hear people say that Payton and Malone "sold out" to go to the Lakers.
I respect what they did.
First, they took less money.
Second, the took lesser roles.
Third, what were they supposed to do? Payton stay in Milwaukee? Would you waste your final days away in Milwaukee?
Or how about Malone? Do you really want to stay with a team that's completely rebuilding, and force them to reall put off serious rebuiling?
They went to a better situation, as would any sane person. Kidd would have come to a better situation, albeit not as much better situation compared to Payton's and Malone's situations.

Whottt
07-21-2003, 05:25 AM
You just don't get it...

If Kidd had come here and we won a title what would he have proven? That he is good enough to win a title on a team that just won one? The best PG in the NBA had to go to a team that had just won a title to get his ring?

The money wasn't a factor? I disagree, I think Kidd stands to make a ton more money in the NY/NJ market..regardless of what the Nets are paying him.

Respect from his peers? I think you are mistaken...No one was gonna think of Kidd as some kind of champion if he came here to get his ring...No one is going to percieve Payton and Malone as the men behind LA winning...just replacements for worn out parts...

Payton and Malone did sell out..but not to the degree Kidd would have had he come here...I mean the Lakers did not finish last year as the best team in the NBA...Payton and Malone are no longer considered the best at their positions in the NBA(IMO that assumption is wrong when it comes to Payton..he is still the best)

You hear people saying that about them because people are thinking that about them...

I can't think of a single time in NBA history two teams have met in the finals and the best player on the losing team joined the winning team the very next season...That's something Samaki Walker does...not Jason Kidd...and we see how Samaki is viewed around the league...yeah winning that ring as LA's starting PF sure earned him a ton of respect didn't it?(and before you start, it's different with Horry if he comes here...Horry's got a ton of rings..he has nothing to prove)

You have a problem with my points and that is fine..but where is Kidd now that it's all over? Exactly where I and many other claimed he would be for much of the season..inspite of "insiders" claiming otherwise.

There is a right way to win and a wrong way..and when you are considered the best PG in the NBA you are expected to get your ring by leading your team to a ring...not the team you just lost to in the finals.

Kidd gets it...why don't you?

Edit: Re your post at the other forum...you can say Parker isn't as good as Kidd all you want..but what you cannot prove is that Kidd is a better shooter than Parker, that Kidd can mount any semblance of defense on Parker(and before you argue that with me..check the sig)..or that he could have lead us to a title with his style of play...

It's all an ASSumption on your part with no basis in fact.

What is a fact is that Parker was good enough to be the starting PG on an NBA champion at the expense of Jason Kidd...all the while going up against an AS roster of PG's.

That's the fact Jack!

CarnacTheMagnificent
07-21-2003, 05:44 AM
Uh oh, here we go again...

If Kidd had come here and we won a title what would he have proven? That he is good enough to win a title on a team that just won one? The best PG in the NBA had to go to a team that had just won a title to get his ring?

Sure, that's one way to look at it. But the best point guard needs the right players around him. Stockton can't lead a team to a title. By definition, a point guard is a supporting player. That's why i don't think Kidd would be seen by his peers as selling out to win a title.

The money wasn't a factor? I disagree, I think Kidd stands to make a ton more money in the NY/NJ market..regardless of what the Nets are paying him.

Kidd will get the same endorsments he has now. Nike is not going to abandon him just because he moves to SA. Beside, signing a contract over a 100 million dollars, how much more do you need? Once you get over 100 million, there's too much to notice a difference.

Respect from his peers? I think you are mistaken...No one was gonna think of Kidd as some kind of champion if he came here to get his ring...No one is going to percieve Payton and Malone as the men behind LA winning...just replacements for worn out parts...Payton and Malone did sell out..but not to the degree Kidd would have had he come here...I mean the Lakers did not finish last year as the best team in the NBA...Payton and Malone are no longer considered the best at their positions in the NBA(IMO that assumption is wrong when it comes to Payton..he is still the best)

Again, what do you expect them to do? Be a man, and sign with the Heat, or the Bucks, or the Clippers? Why wouldn't you go to a team that has a chance to win it all, and live in a fun city? Ask yorself what you'd do. But if Shaq and Kobe are healthy (and not in the hole), most everyone would expect the Lakers to win it all. That's not a popular opinion here, but then why didn't Payton and Malone sell out here?

You hear people saying that about them because people are thinking that about them...

I can't think of a single time in NBA history two teams have met in the finals and the best player on the losing team joined the winning team the very next season...That's something Samaki Walker does...not Jason Kidd...

So what? If I was Kidd, and I'm not, I think the better situation would have been the Spurs. If he thought that, he would have come. Players can shoose to play wherever they want, and just because it might look funny going to a team that beat you, if it puts you in a better situation, a player has a right to do that.

You have a problem with my points and that is fine..but where is Kidd now that it's all over? Exactly where I and many other claimed he would be for much of the season..inspite of "insiders" claiming otherwise.

No, you said it wold have been a mistake to bring him here. The fact is, the Spurs wanted him. They offered him a contract. Duncan was aloso on board, and Malik said he was on board. The fact that the Spurs persued him should tell you something, Whott. I never said it was a slam dunk. If you thought Kidd was going to stay, good for you. I've never been one to say where he should play. I just said where I wanted him to be, and why it made sense. My agruments went along with what the Spurs attempted. Can you say that?

Whottt
07-21-2003, 05:48 AM
Check the edit on my previous post :)

Whottt
07-21-2003, 05:54 AM
Actually Carnac, I said both..I said it would be a mistake to bring him here and I also said he wouldn't be here when it was all said and done.

If you look back in the archives you will see me directly responding to Dusty when he was saying Kidd is coming get usd to it..

I made a 1000 word post on why I disputed it..

Argue with me all you want but Kidd isn't here is he?

You can say players don't owe their teams loyalty and technically you are right...but the spirit of athletics is to your job for the team that drafted you, unless you have a really good reason not too..and you damn sure don't jump ship to the team that just beat you.

IMO Payton and Malone did not come here because of the fact we won a title..in fact I think if you do some research you will find quote from both of them during the past year and FA period in which they both say they wouldn't play for a team that just won a title..IMO playing for the 3 time champs one year removed is still selling out though....They sold out but not as badly as they could have...

And I also disagree on endorsements...Kidd would have lost endorsements had he come here..I have no proof of it..but I find it interesting E BRand accepted Miami's offer because of a shoe deal he would get if he played there(allegedly).

And part of the reason Kidd stayed in NJ was loyalty...he could have gone to a different team if he had wanted too IMO..if he is as great as you guys claim...he could have wound up back in Dallas...You don't think Thorn takes Nash and another 6 million dollar Mav for Kidd rather than lose him ?

CarnacTheMagnificent
07-21-2003, 05:54 AM
Kidd gets it...why don't you?

Edit: Re your post at the other forum...you can say Parker isn't as good as Kidd all you want..but what you cannot prove is that Kidd is a better shooter than Parker, that Kidd can mount any semblance of defense on Parker(and before you argue that with me..check the sig)..or that he could have lead us to a title with his style of play...
It's all an ASSumption on your part with no basis in fact.

can you show many how many times Parker has been named to the all-nba team? How many times he's been an MVP candidate?

Then end of freaking story.

What is a fact is that Parker was good enough to be the starting PG on an NBA champion at the expense of Jason Kidd...all the while going up against an AS roster of PG's.

That's the fact Jack!

So did Derek Fisher. In fact, more times than tony parker did. I guess that means that Derek Fisher is better than Parker, who is better than Kidd.

CarnacTheMagnificent
07-21-2003, 06:00 AM
Whott, my whole arguments weren't neccessarily if Kidd was the obvious choice, but just that he would not be a bad thing.
You thought Kidd coming here would be bad for the Spurs, and they should not consider him.
The Spurs pursused him, like they should have. Like I said they should have. You said it was a bad idea for them to pursue Kidd. Well, they did.
What drove Kidd's decision is besides the point.

Whottt
07-21-2003, 06:03 AM
I can show you a long list of All NBA players that don't have rings even when they played on great teams...and I can show you an equally long list of non all NBA players that got the job done when they had too.

And Derek Fisher was never the second leading scorer on his team for an entire season and post season.

The argument isn't which is the better PG..Kidd is......but that doesn't mean he's a better fit for this team..that is pure speculation on your part..

The argument is which one is the better value..has a brighter future.

Quote all the assist totals you want..but we outpassed the Nets in the finals..and we out shot them as well..Parker shot at a better PCT than Kidd..Parker defended Kidd better than Kidd defended Parker. It's just that simple..what Parker has we need more than what Kidd has...It's never been about which one is the better PG...

CarnacTheMagnificent
07-21-2003, 06:10 AM
And Derek Fisher was never the second leading scorer on his team for an entire season and post season.

The argument isn't which is the better PG..Kidd is......but that doesn't mean he's a better fit for this team..that is pure speculation on your part..

OK, now we're getting on the same page. I understand your thinking, although you're claim that Kidd would not be a good fir for this team is also pure speculation. Would you not agree? Why is it that EVERY player loves playing with Kidd? He makes great decisions and he put his players in great situations ALL THE TIME. To say that his game wouldn't fly is more hopeful thinking.

The argument is which one is the better value..has a brighter future.

OK, again, I see your premise, and I agree with the premise. But not this particular idea. Kidd would have given you a better chance to win now. Parker is not a player that can control games like Kidd can. Kidd was the heart and soul for the Nets the last two years, and is a bonifed star. Parker might be one, but we don't know. We know what Kidd can do.

Quote all the assist totals you want..but we outpassed the Nets in the finals..and we out shot them as well..Parker shot at a better PCT than Kidd..Parker defended Kidd better than Kidd defended Parker. It's just that simple..what Parker has we need more than what Kidd has...It's never been about which one is the better PG...

OK, blah blah blah again. If KMart hits some shots, if Jefferson iits some shots, then the Nets are a better passing team. Kidd can set his players up, but you can't fault Kidd for not actually hitting the shots for his teammates.

Whottt
07-21-2003, 06:10 AM
True many of you advocated going after Kidd all year long..

Many of us claimed doing so would cause conflict with Parker, that Kidd probably wouldn't come..and that our money and efforts were better spent elsewhere....

Now while we can't actually prove Kidd would have made us a better team...

We can definitely prove...A.That Parker indeed was against Kidd coming here and B. That Kidd didn't come here.

So who was more on the right when it was all said and done?

The pro Kidds or the anti Kidds?

No I can't fault Kidd for not hitting the shots of his teamates..but what I can point out is that he doesn't turn shitty shooters into championship shooters, nor can he shoot his team to a championship....

So when we pay him all that money...what makes you think he is gonna make our shooters any better than he made those on his own team? And therein lies the essence of the anti Kidd argument...who exactly is he gonna be making better when we lose all our guys because we are paying him 15 million?

CarnacTheMagnificent
07-21-2003, 06:14 AM
what, it's not about who was right, the pro-Kidds or the con-Kidds.
I wasn't trying to predict what would happen, maybe you're confused with my turban.
I was trying to say whether or not it was a good idea.
Congratulaitons, you guessed right.

Whottt
07-21-2003, 06:29 AM
Thanks, it's a gift..

On a team with Tim Duncan...where open looks by perimeter players are not scarce...where Duncan is often doubleteamed even without the ball...

Our money is better spent on a DROB replacement and high quality shooters...not passing. Shooting/Scoring is the needed ingredient...

And I would like to go on record here as saying something else..I feel like we are dropping the ball with Horry...you can't just treat players like they are afterthoughts and garbage and that is exactly what we have done with Horry...it isn't gonna surprise me if he ends up going back to LA for less money inspite of a preference to stay in Texas...I think we could land some of these FA's if we get a guy with some sales ability in the FO(and no I am not saying Pop or RC should be fired only that we bring someone else in for the purpose of being a frontman when trying to attract FA's)...

MannyIsGod
07-21-2003, 10:34 AM
I think the problem here is that many people confuse dicussions here with the ones that the spurs have in planning their future.

HERE this offseason was christianed as a flat out attempt at a superstar, yet, there were questions the entire time at wether the spurs would go after one superstar player, or distrubte the money among a few to improve their team.

The best case scenario was a superstar.

Didn't happen.

That doesn't mean you fail the class if you don't score a perfect score!!!!!

I know many of you will continue to hand out your assesment of this offseason before the season even starts, hell before the spurs have concluded their signings. Fine.

Do what you want, I'm sick of posting the same shit over and over just to try to get some of you see logic.

However, I will say this. Fans have continuely questioned our front office only to come away with egg on their face.

CarnacTheMagnificent
07-21-2003, 10:45 AM
Whott, I'm not so sure about Horry.
First, I think the Spurs might have bigger fish to fry. Maybe they're working on a bigger deal that might make Horry useless. We don't know the situation, so I think it's bad to second-guess.

picnroll
07-21-2003, 10:50 AM
Clippers pursue Warriors' Arenas

By ART THOMPSON III
The Orange County Register

LOS ANGELES ? It is all but certain that the Clippers will have their third starting point guard in three years. The question now is, who will that be?

The Clippers reportedly have made a six-year, $60 million offer to Golden State's restricted free agent Gilbert Arenas, who earlier received the same offer from the Washington Wizards. Neither team, however, has signed Arenas to an offer sheet that he could present to the Warriors.

Arenas' agent, Dan Fegan met last Thursday with Clippers executive vice president Andy Roeser. A Clippers official said Sunday that the Clippers' offer to Arenas might not be as high as is being reported.

If the Clippers, as expected, decline to match the six-year, $52 million offer sheet the Denver Nuggets signed Andre Miller to, Miller would leave through free agency one year after the Clippers declined to re-sign their starting point guard of two years, Jeff McInnis, who left for Portland.

Another restricted free-agent guard that the team reportedly is interested in, should Arenas turn down its offer, is San Antonio's Speedy Claxton, who became more desirable with his stellar play in the NBA Finals.

With the Clippers having matched the Miami Heat's six-year, $82 million offer sheet to power forward Elton Brand, the Heat now appears to have set its sights on Clippers small forward Lamar Odom, sending signals that it is prepared to present him with a six-year, $60 million offer sheet.

The Clippers' agenda still stands at matching the six-year, $42 million offer sheet that the Utah Jazz gave to guard Corey Maggette and the Clippers were hoping to extend Odom's contract for similar terms. But Odom's agent, Jeff Schwartz, indicated this past weekend that that offer would be low and that Odom would opt to sign a one-year tender, instead.

These impending deals not only have taken up a great deal of Roeser's time but also havetied his hands in regards to Eric Piatkowski, the Clippers' career-leading three-point shooter, who is an unrestricted free agent.

Although there were reports last week that Piatkowski had severed his Clipper ties, there remains the possibility that something can be worked out. "Right now, we're playing it by ear,'' Piatkowski said Sunday. "A lot of teams still are not sure what they're going to do.''

Ghost Writer
07-21-2003, 11:27 AM
No fault's the front office for trying. I fault them for going through with the stupid plan in the first place.

Piatkowski would be a nice pick up. Not one of the CLippers we were shooting for, but not a bad acquisition.

:cooldevil

MannyIsGod
07-21-2003, 12:05 PM
The fact is that every move any front office makes is a gamble of sorts, this one has already paid off in one aspect even if we didn't get a superstar.

Thats good enough for me.

Admiral
07-21-2003, 02:56 PM
They didn't expect to land Kidd, O'Neal or Brand. Those were longshots who they went after in hopes of a miracle hapenning. They weren't the must-have targets that some mistake it to be. -timvp

I totally disagree. When the Fantasy Summer of 2003 plan was unveiled two years ago, there were numerous stars slated to be free agents in 2003. Surely you aren't suggesting that the Spurs would've initiated this plan if there were no potential superstar free agents.

The Spurs wanted to land Kidd, O'Neal, or Brand. Period.

Cassius Clay
07-21-2003, 03:01 PM
Admiral you are so off it isn't even funny. They never 'expected to sign a star' this summer. Sure, they wanted to but but they were (and this may come as a shock to you) aware that there were no guarantees.

So now you complain about the Spurs having a young core of players, a re-signed Tim Duncan, and have found a starting 5 in free agency and will work on bolstering the bench now.

Go ahead and complain about this all you want. Rather foolish but then again you think John Hagee is A OK.

Ghost Writer
07-21-2003, 03:05 PM
Somewhere in between the complaints and the spin lies the truth about this summer.

The bottom line is that we've retained the corp of a title team, slightly improved our center spot and have cap space.

If you can get past missing on a star free agent signing, what's left is pretty d@mn good.

Even I can admit that.

Admiral
07-21-2003, 03:10 PM
Admiral you are so off it isn't even funny. They never 'expected to sign a star' this summer. Sure, they wanted to but but they were (and this may come as a shock to you) aware that there were no guarantees. -Cassius Clay

How do you know that, Marcus? It's just funny how nobody ever mentioned this before all of the stars turned us down. It sounds like self-preservation to me, but if you have it on good authority or can cite an article proving otherwise, I will certainly believe you. I would much rather learn something than be right.

So now you complain about the Spurs having a young core of players, a re-signed Tim Duncan, and have found a starting 5 in free agency and will work on bolstering the bench now. -Cassius Clay

WHEN HAVE I COMPLAINED ABOUT THIS?!? I think we will be fine, and we have a great shot at winning the title this year. When have I once complained about the roster?

Go ahead and complain about this all you want. Rather foolish but then again you think John Hagee is A OK. -Cassius Clay

Cute, Cassius. I stated that I didn't feel it was right to blast Hagee when I didn't know him personally or know the details of his ministry. I have learned that it's dangerous to do that, and was not going to label him a "fraud" like everyone else just because he is on TV. Unlike you and a lot of other Christians, I don't like to stereotype just because someone has different beliefs than I do. In the future, comments such as yours belong in the Club.

Solid D
07-21-2003, 03:12 PM
Reel in the Pike now, Pop.

http://www.btinternet.com/~pikeandpredators/coverpike.jpghttp://www.btinternet.com/~pikeandpredators/flyfishingforpike.jpg

Cassius Clay
07-21-2003, 03:18 PM
Oh little Admiral, I'll say what I want when I want and wherever I want.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-21-2003, 05:32 PM
What caught my attention was the other guy discussed in the article. . .James Posey.

Why wouldn't the Rockets want him back? Is he a free agent?

That guy is a young, talented 3 that would make a great Spur.

Anyone have the scoop on Posey?

ChumpDumper
07-21-2003, 05:50 PM
James Posey.

Why wouldn't the Rockets want him back? Is he a free agent?

He's restricted but the Rockets might not want to match a high offer because they are close to the tax threshold. Though his shooting sucks ass, he's athletic, long, can play both swing spots and I could think of worse things to do with the money.

Rick Von Braun
07-21-2003, 06:00 PM

Starters:

Parker and Manu are your slashers at this time.

Off the bench, you bring in Jackson (slasher) with either Armstrong or Pippen and Piatkowski.

Parker
Manu
Jackson
Duncan
Rasho.

Armstrong or Pippen, Kerr
Piatkowski
Bowen
Horry
Duncan

That is an excellent blend of inside and outside players. This team could adjust to any situation.

Additionally, if the Spurs wanted to be even stronger down low (for rebounding purposes) they could have this lineup:

Parker
Manu
Malik
Duncan
Rasho

There are so many different scenarios you can go with this team. I like it.

Tex

Another lineup for you tex.

Ultra defensive team:

Manu
Bowen
Malik
Duncan
Rasho/Willis

If Pippen would have come to SA, it would have been even better:

Manu
Bowen
Pippen
Duncan
Rasho

Manu/Bowen/Pippen == one of the best perimeter defenses in the NBA. Ahh.. dreams.

adidas11
07-21-2003, 06:02 PM
SpursFan,

Admiral is correct (again). You and some of the others can't honestly sit here and tell me that Spurs management, putting the HOLTING PATTERN into effect two years ago, did so with the thought that they really didn't want to land a superstar this summer. Even Kori disagrees with this. The truth, in my opinion, is that the Spurs went into the HOLTING PATTERN because of the huge potential list of FA's this summer. At that time, that list included Nowitzki, Vince Carter, Paul Pierce, Tim Thomas, along with Jason Kidd, Alonzo Mourning, J O'neal, Karl Malone, etc. The Spurs simply wanted to be in the running for these players, and positioned themselves cap-wise to do so. Do you really think the Spurs would have gone into this HOLTING PATTERN if such a potential list never would/could hav existed? I doubt it.

And then to say afterwards, after all of the big time FA's have turned the Spurs down, that the Spurs really only went into the HOLTING PATTERN to re-sign Tim Duncan and to have cap flexibility to re-sign their own players, meanwhile totally ignoring the other potential superstars that are out there, is ludicrous.

The problem happened the summer before, when a lot of the potential FA's signed extensions, thereby locking themselves in with their current clubs. Vince re-upped. Paul re-upped. Dirk re-upped. The initially HUGE potential FA list started dwindling rapidly. The Spurs were then left with Jason Kidd, J O'neal, and a small handful of others as the big time impact FA's left. Thereby making the HOLTING PATTERN a lot riskier than it started off to be.

At least that's how I see it.

ShoogarBear
07-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Here's what the Spurs need to do if they want to pick up big name free agents next year. They need to ditch the Holting Pattern and use the brilliantly conceived Mitch Fix:

1. Timmy needs to gain about 75 lbs and whine about the refs and his teammates all year.

2. Manu needs to cry when they get eliminated from the playoffs and get arrested next summer.

KG and Ray Allen will then sign with us for $6 mil a year combined.

Cassius Clay
07-21-2003, 06:50 PM
Admiral is correct (again). You and some of the others can't honestly sit here and tell me that Spurs management, putting the HOLTING PATTERN into effect two years ago, did so with the thought that they really didn't want to land a superstar this summer.

At least understand the discussion before you jump into it and start deciding who is correct. Of course the Spurs wanted to pursue stars this summer when DRob retired. But it's not like DRob didn't retire. They would still have the flexibility to address his retirement. Like it or not, that's the way it is. The Spurs did not think that they were guaranteed to land a star this summer despite GW Jr's assertsions. I would listen to Kori on this, for her opinion is a tad bit more informed than either GW or GW Jr.

gunawanspurs
07-22-2003, 12:12 AM
Spurs' fans must be on edge. People are too quick to snap over jokes and sarcasm these days.

TRUE that ! :lol

Because of Kidd's fool job, our blood pressure has risen quite high lately ! :eyebrow

KoriEllis
07-22-2003, 12:36 AM
Even Kori disagrees with this. The truth, in my opinion, is that the Spurs went into the HOLTING PATTERN because of the huge potential list of FA's this summer

Of course that's the reason the Spurs went into the Holting Pattern. This offseason was packed with top tier free agents and the Spurs wanted a shot at acquiring one or two of them.

But did the Spurs think that it was a "guarantee" or a "lock" to get one of them? No way. The Spurs' management (and any other mgmt) knows that it's extremely difficult to get a free agent away from his current team. But they thought it was worth the risk of going into the Holting Pattern and taking a shot at it.

And NO, I don't think that Rasho was the only top tier free agent that the Spurs were coveting all along. I think that the Spurs were trying to sign Kidd AND Rasho.

But am I going to deem the Holting Pattern and offseason free agency period a failure?? Hell no.

First of all the Spurs haven't filled all their spots, so I don't know what roster they are going to put on the floor when the season begins. So I can't say the Spurs are worse off than last season.

Secondly, I have yet to see Rasho fail or flourish in the Spurs' offense.

So I am not quick to deem the Holting Pattern a bust.

And somewhere along the way, the Spurs won a fucking Championship. And that's one hell of a consolation prize that I'll take any day.

:fro

SouthernDan
07-22-2003, 01:38 AM
I'd love to hear that on the radio!!

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Kori, you think the glass is half full. I see it as one of those trick dribbling cups from the local gift shoppe.

SAmikeyp
07-22-2003, 11:48 AM
And somewhere along the way, the Spurs won a fucking Championship. And that's one hell of a consolation prize that I'll take any day.

that is why Kori is in charge.

Believe.

Admiral
07-22-2003, 02:46 PM
Kori, you think the glass is half full. I see it as one of those trick dribbling cups from the local gift shoppe. -Ghost Writer

The glass is definitely half full, but only because we already had a great foundation going into the summer. This offseason was about bringing in one or two max free agent superstars, not "flexibility."

While the Spurs knew there were no guarantees, they certainly would not have planned for this summer if they had known how much the free agent pool would dwindle.

It is amazing that some of the homers are actually buying the "flexibility" line from the Spurs' front office. That is rationalization for a disappointing summer, pure and simple.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 02:48 PM
You said it, Admiral.

What is all this wonderful "flexibility" getting us?

The Spurs are a basketball team, not a Popd@mn gymnastics squad!

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 02:49 PM
So the Spurs never had to replace DRob. Funny how a couple of weeks ago you told us that was what they should do. Now we see that it did take the Spurs having cap room to find a replacement.

The Spurs never assumed that they would land a star free agent. Apparently you did. Do us a favor and stop the Ghost Writer imitation. Damn.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 02:51 PM
:blah

Yeah, they just cleared out cap space for two seasons to throw the bank at Nesterovic and Horry, that's all.

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 02:52 PM
So you don't think the Spurs wanted to find a replacement for DRob? The other day you said that's what they needed to do.

Of course you think a source for player salaries is "Jazzhoops.com". What a fucking moron.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 02:55 PM
Oooh... I'm hurt. :rolleyes

My idea was to replace Robinson, while you shot for the stars.

That was until the Lakers got two 20-point scoring Hall of Famers.

Excuse me if I have a problem paying Robert Horry more than Payton or Malone as our second-best free agent acquisition of the summer.

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 02:57 PM
The Spurs made a substantial offer to Malone you twit. He didn't want to come. Call him up and complain. Stop wasting our time.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 03:16 PM
Should we be happy that star free agents all turn us down every summer, regardless of our cap situation?

Question.

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-22-2003, 03:20 PM
Should we be happy that star free agents all turn us down every summer, regardless of our cap situation?

nope

but I am still happy I live in San Antonio...:)

travis2
07-22-2003, 03:43 PM

As long as the advertising world runs out of New York and Los Angeles, that will never change.

Should we spin ourselves into the ceiling bitching and moaning about things we can't control?

Move on

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 03:45 PM
I don't believe she understands that concept, travis.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 03:49 PM
No.

Let's just follow Cassius's lead and spin the reality enough times that we can feel good about following the team no stars want to play for.

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 03:52 PM
You're right.

It sucks that the Spurs won a championship a month ago.

It sucks that Tim Duncan just signed a 7 year contract with the Spurs.

It sucks that the Spurs have a plethora of young talent.

It sucks that the Spurs found a servicable replacement for DRob.

It sucks that the Spurs have $12 mil to work with to shape their team.

Yes this is horrible and anyone who thinks this is great is an idiot.

No doubt.

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-22-2003, 03:53 PM
Ghost, we signed a free agent this summer that won the League MVP award in 2001-2002 and 2002-2003...and is just now entering his prime...so your doom and gloom about following a team that "no stars want to play for" is a little whacked. You might want to check your meds...

travis2
07-22-2003, 03:54 PM
I don't need to spin reality. I've been quite happy to root for this team since 1973...no matter who was on the team.

If all you want is a team that stars seem to want to play for, go be a Laker bandwagoner.

You see, I don't base my life on a game played by others.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 03:57 PM
No. We re-signed our own free agent — Tim Duncan.

All those things are terrific, Cassius.

We're still the team that no stars want to come and play for.

I remember telling you this over the years and you clinging to the excuse:

"We never had the cap flexibility to sign a star free agent."

Apology Accepted™

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 04:00 PM
Again you demonstrate the ridiculousness of your complaints. If you can't be happy as a Spurs fan now you'll never be. But of course we now your answer. You are never happy and you want all of us to be miserable just because you are a 12 year old inside a twentysomething's body. Grow the hell up man. Seriously.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 04:04 PM
Stick to the point, son.

It's not about the title or the practice facility or the cap space.

Tell me why we can't acquire any stars now.

<sound of crickets chirping>

Cassius Clay
07-22-2003, 04:09 PM
The point is that you cannot ever be happy. You're the one who has placed these tremendous expectations on the Spurs every fucking year. And you bitch at them mightily online every fucking day. People are tired of seeing this from you.

bigzak25
07-22-2003, 04:15 PM
Some people are stars fans.
We need a star, we have to trade for a star, we don't have a star.

Others are Spurs fans happy in the warmth of a Championship.

A Championship that apparently, the Spurs were not supposed to win without adding stars. But they did.

Infamous Holting Pattern or not...
The Spurs won. They won with TD and role players.
The can win again with TD and role players.

The Lakers haven't played a game yet. You wanna crown them champs, go ahead. I think the Spurs can take them.
BUT YES, we need a backup point. I think everyone is aware of that fact. Someone call Pop and tell him not to forget to get a backup point. I'm sure it skipped his mind. :rolleyes

travis2
07-22-2003, 04:16 PM
I already explained why. Try reading it.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 04:19 PM
No.

You're tired of me being the Yang to your Yin.

The People enjoy our debates as evidenced by the spiked rating in this Forum since our full-time arrival at this board.

bigzak, be that as it may, last year it was about Duncan being enough to overcome Shaq and Kobe. This season, I don't know if we'll have enough ammo to overcome Shaq, Kobe, Malone and Payton.

We'll need Parker, Jack/Manu and Nesterovic to have Herculean efforts and hope the conglameration of stars in LA is too much of a good thing for LA.

bugramps
07-22-2003, 04:21 PM
That's what I hate about some of these threads...it starts off as a legitimate subject of interest, then you come back and there are pages of comments that are nothing more than people bitching at each other.
Can we get back to the possibility of Piatkowski coming to SA? I mean all you guys may have been talking about it, but I can't find much past the first page and a half about him.

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-22-2003, 04:25 PM
BUT YES, we need a backup point. I think everyone is aware of that fact. Someone call Pop and tell him not to forget to get a backup point. I'm sure it skipped his mind.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

^^^^^^^Rack That!^^^^^^^^^

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 04:26 PM
Okay, gigrumps, I'll humor you.

I have been thinking baout it and I wonder if Piatkowski isn't on stand-by in case negotiations go sour between the Spurs and Jackson.

because as much as I love Jack, he's not that much better of a pro than Piatkoski is. I would expect Eazy E to push Jackson for minutes at the starting 2 spot. Seriously.

KoriEllis
07-22-2003, 04:26 PM
For bugramps ...

The Spurs were talking to both Horry and Piatkowski yesterday. I'd imagine we hear some news on Piatkowski soon.

bugramps
07-22-2003, 04:46 PM
Thank you

kohai
07-22-2003, 05:06 PM
GW - I just don't see giving up on the talented young SG Jackson. Pike is 32 years old, and Jax in his mid 20s. I think Pike would be exposed on D, too.

Ghost Writer
07-22-2003, 05:09 PM
I agree.

That's not what I said, though.

I think if Jackson goes, Piatkowski is in.

TheCat5
07-22-2003, 06:27 PM
well, Piatkowski's price may have just been pushed up. Remember when he was Houston's fallback plan should they not get Posey? Posey just signed an offer sheet with the Grizzlies, although the Rockets do have 15 days to match. Still, there is another way to look at it - if the Rockets wouldn't offer Posey (the first choice) that much, they probably won't offer Piatkowski that much either. But they could offer more minutes, and it probably drives up his asking price from SA.

T Park Num 9
07-22-2003, 06:40 PM
James Posey signed an offer sheet with the Grizzlies???

Interesting, didnt see that coming.

TheCat5
07-22-2003, 06:42 PM
I still haven't seen it on an official site, but it's been posted on multiple other boards, so I'm assuming it's legit. There should be something about it in a few hours I'm guessing...